Brookhaven National Laboratory

Brookhaven National Laboratory Employee Reviews

easy life
Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYSeptember 29, 2015
nice people there; people work smartly, but not that busy; have time to chat; good weather; good compensation; full service on site including bank, gas station; post office;
budget is unstable too;
Fellowship Program was great
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJuly 23, 2015
I completed the Nuclear Nonproliferation, Safeguards, and Security Fellowship program, and it was great. The speakers and course material was very informative and helpful.
Sr Electronic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 28, 2015
BNL is a large national lab with many smart people to work with and collaborate with.
Executive leadership is weak, narrow-minded; scientific staff is excellent
Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 27, 2015
The work was enjoyable, the staff engaging and motivated. The budget contraints are severe, senior management is isolated by choice and cannot communicate with rest of staff.
Pros
excellent science, motivated scientists
Cons
poor facilities, strains between scientists and rest of staff, budget problems, senior management is weak
worked with radioactive materials
sr, hp, tech spec... (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 19, 2015
working at Brookhaven National Labs was ok, everyday was different, and i ajusted to each work chalenge...

nuke work is much different that what the regular world employment does, radioactive materials do not play well with others, and you have to keep on your toes all the time...

but the pay is worth it...

ok thats it...
Pros
great pay
Cons
distance of travell
Associate Biologist (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 11, 2015
The culture at the lab is terrible. There is no job security and everyone is sitting on the edge just waiting to be let go. Management does not seem to be doing much about it either. There is very little room for advancement unless you have a PhD. However, I saw many excellent scientist with PhD lose there jobs.
Pros
healthcare, work life balance, education reimbursement
Cons
work environment, management, funding
World Class National Laboratory.
Assistant Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYDecember 23, 2014
I dispatch and amend graduate student thesis contracts between Academic researchers and Universities. I initially purchased inventory stock items where I learned an array of procurement skills. I've been a loyal team member for 4.5 years.
Pros
great employee benefits
Cons
minimal advancing opportunities
Great energetic Workplace
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYOctober 20, 2014
BNL was a great place to work. I only left for a better opportunity. Fostered innovating thinking and a great work atmosphere.
Productive, family/ work balance is promoted
Senior Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJuly 28, 2014
A typical day at work involves collaborating with the engineer, and scientist to design cutting edge scientific equipment.
Pros
healthy lifestyle is encouraged gym and pool are on site
Fun
Industrial Hygiene Internship (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJuly 13, 2014
Enjoyable atmosphere where you can really build on good relationships while contributing to your work field.
Amazing facility where you can talk to cutting edge scientists about their research
Chemistry Associate IV (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJuly 2, 2014
I work with the Artificial Photosynthesis group where I support a research scientist by synthesizing metal complexes he uses in his research. I also helped to organize a new lab space by moving and categorizing chemicals. I learned something new everyday
Pros
working with top notch researchers
Cons
full time employment not available to bs chemists
Have a lot of facilities and machinery
visitor (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 28, 2014
This is a nice place to start learning although the work culture is not that great.
Not what it use to be
Advanced Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 19, 2014
Was a great place to work years ago but, management has changed over the years and benefits and loyalty to employees and work place environment has sunk to all time lows!
Educational
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYMarch 6, 2014
This is an excellent place to learn about Science and Long Island STEM
Excellent Work Environment To Learn and Grow
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day involved multitasking as the lead engineer on a variety of large projects. I would work on the mechanical design of new concept components, run Finite Element Analysis to ensure structural, thermal, and vibration integrity of those components, before personally overseeing the manufacturing and installation of those components in the final assembly. From there I would organize a team of technicians to perform in depth field testing which I designed to ensure the performance of those components for operation.

I enjoyed that there was always something new to work and focus on and that it was a fast paced environment.
productive and fun workplace environment
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 30, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is far and away the people I work with. They are genuinely good people and many are my closest friends.
Excellent
Technician (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYOctober 2, 2013
Each day at work was coupled with excellent coworkers and focused tasks to be completed. I began there as an intern and quickly was hired full time there and began doing water and soil sampling.
Greatest place for academic study
Summer intern of Instrumentation Division (Former Employee) –  11790September 13, 2013
Wonderful place to share and learn, the study environment is so great, and you could also dig into different areas and fulfill your curiosity.
great place to work, good benefits and ability to expand your skills in many directions.
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYAugust 18, 2013
Operation and repair as necessary of Cyclotron accelerators and Positron Emission Scanners. Acted as building manager to deal with upkeep and maintenance of building 906.
My favorite job yet
DC Cable Puller (Former Employee) –  Upton, New YorkJune 19, 2013
A typical day at work was 6-7 hours of pulling direct current power cable up through cable tray, down into a conduit and doing extended runs to certain locations. I learned how to properly read shcematics, easier ways to properly pull heavy wire into place, and how to deal with running a crew. Management was good, for the most part. My co-workers were very friendly, and all had the desire to get the job done. The hardest part of the job was working in tight spaces at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was hard work that made you feel you accomplished something tangible at the end of the day.
Pros
tangible result, healthcare, good wage

4.2