Brookhaven National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Educational and productive
Project Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYDecember 17, 2017
Flexible working hours. Friendly but diciplined management. Working with scientists and highly skilled engineers and technicians. committment to schedule and cost. Basically, an excelent place to work.
Pros
Scientific Research
Overall Good
U.S. Department of Energy Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYDecember 14, 2017
Great site with acres of land and activities to enjoy during break
You had fast-paced days with multiple deadlines but you also had relaxing days with no stressful time limits
BNL believes in work/life balance and were often very accomodating when needed
Hardest thing was dealing with multiple personalities coming from different parts of the country and even world!
Pros
Free activities during lunch, on-site gym
Cons
Not secure, considered a contractor if not a federal worker
Productive and fun.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridge, NYDecember 2, 2017
Great environment, great people, great facility. It's a good place to build up one's research experience as there are always plenty of important and challenging topics, great mentors and lots of intellectual interactions.
Very interesting work especially designing
Design Drafter (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 17, 2017
The labratory is more or less a college with its own restaurant , alot of the work and studies done at
Brookhaven are funded by the united states energy
Department and miltary under certain programs
After years of frustration I finally gave up
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 9, 2017
I worked at the Lab on and off on a contract basis for 25 plus years. I went 5 years as a temp with no benefits. I kept applying and applying. They would always hire someone else to do my job and lay me off. Happened over and over again. In one case they had me train my replacement. I finally gave up and stopped going back when they called me. To this day they still call me to come back as a temp.
Pros
Nice place to work, nice atmosphere.
Cons
No benifits and lots of unfulfilled promises
Great Place to Work
Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 8, 2017
Brookhaven was a great place to work. Very understanding managers and much less cut-throat than corporate. They have a lot to offer on site for recreational purposes.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Career Advancement
fun place
Student Researcher Intern (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYOctober 21, 2017
A typical day at work conducting undergraduate student research (as an intern) involves guidance from team members, and much independent work in the responsibilities pertaining to the research project. I was not employed by Brookhaven National Laboratory, because I was an intern, but I did receive a weekly stipend.
Club Fed
Safety Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYSeptember 27, 2017
Relaxed atmosphere involving pure multidisciplinary research. Wonderful population with plenty of leisure activities for community. I was primarily involved in policy development and enforcement. Had a number of VERY interesting projects to work on. Career wise it was a very satisfying environment.
Pros
achievements
Cons
pay
Overall a nice place to work, but constant budget worries
Senior Applications Engineer / Group Lead (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYSeptember 2, 2017
I worked at BNL for 25 years in software development, scientific applications development and project managment. Generally, there was flexibility in working hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I worked with many creative and interesting scientists, engineers and support staff. The hardest part of the job was constantly worrying about funding. Also, there could be more collaboration between departments. I am hoping that this will change.
Pros
healthcare, flexibility, co-workers are loyal, trustworthy and friendly
Cons
Constant worry about funding loss. No job security
productive interesting workplace
Technical Editor (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 28, 2017
The Lab is a very complex and interesting place to work. It is a diverse and engaging environment. It's employees and management system are both dedicated and hard working. It was a pleasure to briefly work here.
Supportive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, NYJune 22, 2017
They were extremely supportive during my internship. I was in High School but they did not let that stop me from doing everything I wanted to do within the lab.
Safety is number one proirity
Intern (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 7, 2017
This is a national research lab. Here great minds come together to find answers to some of the questions of our universe. Its a great place to be and work with some of the worlds top scientists
great
Senior Applications Analyst - (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYMay 31, 2017
this is a great place to work. I worked with a great group of people. We were very determined to get things done and to please the clients. Good group of people.
Reasonable place to work...
Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYApril 26, 2017
Don't expect competitive compensation or benefits. Maybe 10 years ago there was. Future looks bleak at best at BNL. Rumor is 20% reduction in force.

Upper tier management make 'interesting' decisions.
Pros
Gym on site that's $30 a year.
Cons
Benefits, job security, and salary.
Lack of diversity and opportunity
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
not applicable and not available. Not interested in proving a review No room for advancement or mentorship. culture needs to be improved and changed
Pros
administrative
Cons
lack of diversity
Great place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYApril 2, 2017
Getting detail experience on different research.
 Attending lectures and get to meet scientists.
 Learning different programming languages and apply them.
 Submitting everyday reports on ongoing activities.
 Working as a team and taking part on group projects.
Not a great place for young people
Technology Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
The location, culture, and the latest management decisions make it difficult to advance your career. Your chances of gaining financial wealth and building a solid career is better in most other national labs/research institutes. There seems to be a lot of neglect and overall morale seems very low.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Location, pay, opportunities to advance
First off campus internship
Laboratory Researcher (Former Employee) –  Upton, NY 11973February 8, 2017
I would meet with my other engineers and professor. We would meet at the lab and work on the magneto optic kerr effect project. I learned about the ferromagnetic properties of different materials and plotting them in labview software to create a visual graphical representation of the data generated. The environment was awesome, everyone was friendly and dedicated to their work. The hardest part was figuring out how to integrate the photo elastic modulator with the labview software when there wasn't any instructions on how to do so. The most enjoyable part was working the different scientist and coming up with a solution and actually resolving and issue to present in our meetings.
Pros
It was in New York
Cons
I was in the woods away from society
A steady paycheck and good benefits
Associate Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 21, 2017
A zion for those with low ambition who wishing to do the bare minimum and still keep their paycheck. The vacation and benefits are excellent, but the pay is very low when also considering the cost of living in the surrounding area. Professional growth at Brookhaven National Laboratory is extremely lacking. There are no bonuses and promotions are based purely on seniority. However, there is also remarkably little chance of losing one's job due to lack of performance.
Pros
Job security, benefits
Cons
low pay, lethargic environment
cutting edge research
Chemistry Associate (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I haven't worked there in over 20 years. I cannot say what it is like now. It was a great experience and I made good contacts for my future in science research.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2