Brooklyn Academy of Music Employee Reviews in United States

Small and Energetic Team, Fast Paced and Challenging Atmosphere
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2016
I loved working for BAM. It was constantly challenging and inspiring. My management was great, I learned a lot, I got to work both with the marketing and design team, and even though I was only there for a short while I was treated with graciousness and respect (which for an internship, can be rare). I only wish I could have had the opportunity to be there longer, and that there was more room for me to grow as an employee.
Pros
The people, NWF and their programming
Cons
Atmosphere could be less cubicle-like and more BAM-like
Cultural Institution w/ better benefits than you would think
Associate Building Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 25, 2013
The medical benefits are better here than what you would think for a cultural institution. They pay more for your medical insurance so your out of pocket costs are less. They offer good Metro Card programs along with Crunch memberships at a good price and free plus one admission to the cinema (unless it is projected to sell out) and a discounted rate if you have to buy a ticket.

The business side is not run as well. The Production and General Management departments get most of the attention and the other departments are run poorly and communication is atrocious.
Great place for culture and family events
Telemarketer / Usher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 6, 2013
Good administrative staff, lots of fun events and benefits. Contacts with international clientele, ability to view various cultural activities, and many community educational opportunities for children.
Pros
flexibility in schedule, good administrative staff, work with variety of people
Productive and was full of life Lessons
Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2015
It was Great, granted it was while i was in highschool, but i loved the people i met as well as the connections you obtain thru spending months with the same people.
Overall great staff to work with very professional
EMT (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2013
I enjoyed my time at BAM and the opportunity to see the great performances that came to their theaters like Alvin Ailey and Dance Africa, What i disliked was the huge turnover of staff and the lack of full time jobs opportunities which made it difficult for job advancement.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
number of hours offered to non union workers not sufficient
Demanding but fun place to work
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2014
I learned how to apply my skills in a demanding environment, and time management. My manager was mostly supportive of my ideas. However there was not a lot of room for upward mobility.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
demanded a lot of my time
Not for everyone
Custodial Assistance (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 6, 2013
the first week you will three days after that you will two day and you only work when someone is off ,and the job is to easy and quick and fast to clean and you are done in one hour..Camara watch every move you make so do not stand there doing nothing . even if you finish your work. NOT everyone may seem friendly .
Pros
the pay is good
Cons
not enought days to work
Productive and fun
Communications assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2012
This was a summer position that I had from July 2004 - August 2004 and July 2005 - August 2005. I was a Communications assistant and my job was to help promote musical events that took place at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. In order to promote these events, I helped manage a venue, gave out posters, and went to different businesses within the community in order to inform them about our events.
Productive and Hard working
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2012
I am a hard worker who loves what he does. I worked well indivualy and as a team player. I loved the job well
Pros
there was always room for advancement
Cons
n/a
Bad Upper Management
Assistant (Current Employee) –  BrooklynJanuary 11, 2014
Very toxic workplace. Very disfuctional from the top down! The interns have it worst because they think that this is how a normal organization is suppose to be ran. HR policies are horrible and I'm sure it is because of the incompetent HR Director. Save yourself some stress and bypass this organization.
Great work environment
Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
The work environment was the best I ever worked in.The best mix of people that I ever worked with.
Pros
the work environment.
Cons
the commute
Ok Workplace
Escort (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 20, 2012
It was a good workplace to meet new people everyday.
Interacting with people of different races everyday

2.8