Brooklyn Community Services Employee Reviews

Excellent Training, Hard Environment
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bed Stuy Family CenterJuly 25, 2017
While I greatly appreciated the training and experience I got at BCS, I struggled with the management style and the overall workload and work expectations. It seemed that more and more was expected of workers with less given back in return. The pay was below market rate, and the multiple and constant policy changes took a toll on the staff. It had very high staff turnover, which definitely impacted morale.

However, I had an amazing supervisor for most of my time there, and there are some really strong workers and supervisors there. It's just hit or miss on who you will end up working with...and how long they will stay.
Pros
they try really hard to get staff on their side
Cons
they go about getting staff on their side in all the wrong ways
Caring and Helpful Facility
Vocational Evaluator Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 11, 2017
Staff here were patient and helpful in assisting participants. Vocational Evaluators took their time to explain each assessment and made sure participants understood them.
Slow paced environment.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 11, 2017
Working at Brooklyn Community Services was overall a good experience. It was my first job doing clerical work and I honestly enjoyed it. If I could do it again I would.
Bcs
Health Home Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 16, 2017
Brooklyn Community Services, helps people with disabilities find meaningful employment and assists them In securing health benefits.
I interned in the Health Homes department, where I learned home to coordinate client appointments with healthcare team.
Pros
Faced paced. Plenty of work
Low Pay, Good Training
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 14, 2017
Directors complete little paperwork and expect the load of the days work to be completed by assistants. Training did not start at the beginning of the job. I was expected to "wing it". The Director expected me to complete my assignments with faulty laptops and continuous conversation. There were no team meetings to set up the shift and I felt little support when I had a grievance.
It was a family atmosphere
Recovery /Employment Specialist PROS (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2017
in the beginning work at BCS was a wonderful experience they cared about both clients and staff. but as those powers that be started to retire and leave the atmosphere became gloomy.
Pros
Good caring coworkers
Cons
Senior manangement
Great benefits
Outreach Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2016
Great benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits. Nice people, nice environment, need better pay. Great coworkers and great supervisors and lots of vacation days.
Good Place to Start
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  East New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
I learned a lot about Structural Family Therapy and how to do social work with families referred from the Administration for Children's Services. This job is ideal for someone looking to get their hours for their license and who doesn't mind working in the field. Many clients will be resistant to coming into the office based on the nature of the work and this often causes social workers to have to do more than the minimum once per month home visits.

There is a lot of paperwork involved as with most social work jobs, but management has made several changes over the past year which was frustrating to employees. The management comes across as supportive but when it comes to making changes to ease tension for social workers, nothing gets done.

Hardest part of the job is working with clients who don't want you to work with them. Most enjoy able part of the job is seeing change in families who do want to improve.
Pros
Supervision is excellent, knowledge of SFT, knowledge of social supports
Cons
Home visits, Management does not respond to feedback
This company provided the opportunity for self-starters to excel. It also was an exciting and satisfying place to work. I
Director of Facilities & Central Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Worked for 17 years as Director of Central Services and Facilities. Position was challenging and presented many opportunities in a versatile work place. Position required one to be a self-starter and allowed one to problem solve which was an enjoyable aspect of the position. I was able to use my experience in accounting to help set up systems and administer and supervise vendors. Purchasing was a major part of my responsibility where I supervised the clerical staff and worked with vendors.

This was a satisfying workplace for many years,
A typical day at work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2015
I learned how to work with the mental health population. I learned how to navigate the social service system and work with various housing providers networking. I learned how to advocate for clients at social service agencies and Housing Providers.
Easy going & nice environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2015
It was a very calm place to work! My supervisor was very nice and understanding as well. It was also an organization for the disable that offer counseling, job opportunies and a fun outlet.
program called "PROS" has no professionalism
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynJuly 3, 2015
most negative environment I've ever experienced.

no psychiatrist agrees to work there for any extended period of time due to morale and unrealistic expectations.

poor management, supervisors make false accusations and HR does not advocate for nonexecutive or nonsupervisory staff. assistant director asking staff for controlled substances. director throwing a chair during a staff meeting.

employees are overworked, underpaid and undervalued

advancement is not possible for 99% of staff

unhealthy environment leads to various medical conditions and unsanitary conditions. constant construction shakes building, releases chemicals in the air and inhibits morale. executive staff jokes about this and threatens to not pay employees in order to use employee salaries to repair the building. mold growing. leaks throughout the top floor of the building, where PROS is located.

no safety precautions despite dangerous clients (alternative to incarceration program with no security guard, no panic buttons, no video cameras and mostly 20-30 y.o. female staff)

demands on employees are unreasonable - asked to run up to 12 therapy groups per week, work with 20 clients, see each client individually weekly, write up treatment plans, progress notes, curricula, get all clients a primary care physician and a physical, document all outgoing calls in multiple locations, and other documentation that is demanded numerous times with changes due to poor management and supervision.

employees talk badly about each other and supervisors talk badly about employees to staff.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, nice support staff working in the elevator
Cons
unprofessional, physically unsafe, unsupportive environment, no advancement opportunities
productive work place
Direct Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn NYMay 7, 2015
Great working environment, I appreciate the program staff and consumers. I enjoy each weekend shift I'm scheduled to work. I only foresee growth within the organization.
Pros
Free Event Access
Cons
N/a
Wonderful place to work, friendly staff
Assistant Receptionist/Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2015
On a typical day at work staff go in get their job done by doing what their suppose to do and leave. Learn how to archive and file important documents. Management is great everyone treat you fairly. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of my job is dealing with rude clients . the most enjoyable part of my job is when they have a staff party for different occasions.
Pros
Surrounded by friendly people
Cons
Lack of Security
Home Visitor
Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2015
• Facilitated home visits aimed at helping at-risk expectant and new parents gain the skills and support they need to enrich their living environment Responsible for rendering quality service to a caseload of twelve families
• Referred residents and families to community resources to improve well-being and quality of life.
• Connected families with resources when children were identified as needing further assessment.
• Provided emotional support while with residents to develop long term plans and goals.
• Conducted competency-based, interactive interviews to identify client needs.
Unprofessional Executive staff
maintenance clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 14, 2015
Brooklyn Community Services was a great organization until the new Chief executive director and chief operating officer came to the organization everything began to go downhill. The executives are unprofessional with how they speak and interact with staff and clients.
Pros
Great worker and staff except for executive staff
Cons
Executive staff
Good place
Therapist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynApril 14, 2015
Laid back atmospher
Co workers are great
Visiting clients are hard because they dont want to be in program most times.
I dont have anything else to say about the company
Pros
Good Environment to work in...
Cons
An agency that cares about children and their families.
Receptionist, Summer Youth Employment Program (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 15, 2015
A typical day at work included answering the phone, transferring calls, and greeting clients. I learned how to make copies and fax important documents, and how to greet clients politely in person and over the phone. The manager was very nice and respectful, as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was remembering all of the different extensions for each worker at my site and the other sites, however the most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself.
Great starter position
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2015
This is a great agency. The vision and supervision provided was great! Working with families can be very rewarding...overall this was a good work environment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Pleasant and rewarding job
Prevocational Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2014
I work with clients who have developmental disabilities and I enjoy working with them. My coworkers and supervisor are very helpful and hardworking.