Brooklyn Community Services

Brooklyn Community Services Employer Reviews

Great starter position
Social Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: salary
This is a great agency. The vision and supervision provided was great! Working with families can be very rewarding...overall this was a good work environment.
Pleasant and rewarding job
Prevocational Counselor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2014
I work with clients who have developmental disabilities and I enjoy working with them. My coworkers and supervisor are very helpful and hardworking.
Great job culture with great people
Administrative Assistant/AR Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2014
At Brooklyn Community Service, I have had the opportunity to work with great, kindhearted individual who take the job serious but know how to unwind.
decent work experience
Site Trainer/Habilitation Counselor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2014
Pros: consumer interactions
Cons: strenuous workload
Great place to learn human service skills. Everyday brings something new.
brooklyn community services
Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2014
i worked at BCS over summer 2012 & it was an overall good experience. I was completing an internship at the time & the work was not hard at all. Everyone working there was nice & friendly.
Making the best of a bad situation
Assistant Head Teacher (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 9, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no breaks
At the risk of being too honest. My current work situation is a challenge because I work for a "day care center" that is not truly geared towards the development of the mind. What, do I mean in this situation? I mean that I work with those who do not have a true understanding of pedagogy as it applies to the child, nor do they have the life experiences that are needed to help booster the child. I can make this assessment based on working one on one with those who constantly present a challenge to anything that is "out of the box" or that is not the norm. I love the students and what they want to learn from me and what I want to give them and most importantly what they teach me. However, because I must constantly defend my decisions around cleanliness, duty, obligation and the best interest of the child, it makes it hard for those student to get what they need. I often feel that because I am a self starter and willing to do anything or as my students say: "Go hard" for them I shine the light on those who are "half-stepping"

These things make it hard to come to work. I tend to stay in my classroom and totally engage the children. That is the blessing in the lesson. The children.

My take away from this experience is that I will not work in a place where I am not respected, and compensated properly for my experience, intelligence and wherewithal again. I have learned the in's and out's of what not to do as a direct result of being here. This will help me because I truly believe that I am an agent of change and paradigm shifting, those not just words in my cover letter that is the creed in which I live.
Wonderful work being done by wonderful people
Grant Writing Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2013
As an intern, all of my efforts were appreciated. Everyone working at BCS wants to be there.
It was a great environment,with a lot of nice people and free coffee.
Volunteer Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 17, 2013
Pros: i learned alot about the computor
Cons: it was to short of a time.
I had the freedom to take lunch hour as I see fit.The workplace was safe,and clean. My fellow workers were good to work with.
Alot of hard work
Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 7, 2013
White Glove is a very good put together home care agency. However, there are times where duties of clients are not made clear by coordinators. There is also miscommunications between clients and home attendants.
Diverse environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2013
Pros: extra vacation and sick days
Cons: no stability or areas for growth
What I like most about Brooklyn Community Services is its commitment to making a difference in the lives of people in need from children to seniors, from the handicap to the homeless. However, the lack of funding for all programs has created a stressful environment.
Wonderful Co-workers; supportive environment
Social Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2012
I feel like BCS is a second family. Our work is difficult, but it is made easier because we have top-notch supervisors and staff for support. I have greatly enhanced my clinical skills while at BCS.