Brooklyn Community Services Employee Reviews

Great benefits
Outreach Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2016
Great benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits. Nice people, nice environment, need better pay. Great coworkers and great supervisors and lots of vacation days.
This company provided the opportunity for self-starters to excel. It also was an exciting and satisfying place to work. I
Director of Facilities & Central Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Worked for 17 years as Director of Central Services and Facilities. Position was challenging and presented many opportunities in a versatile work place. Position required one to be a self-starter and allowed one to problem solve which was an enjoyable aspect of the position. I was able to use my experience in accounting to help set up systems and administer and supervise vendors. Purchasing was a major part of my responsibility where I supervised the clerical staff and worked with vendors.

This was a satisfying workplace for many years,
A typical day at work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2015
I learned how to work with the mental health population. I learned how to navigate the social service system and work with various housing providers networking. I learned how to advocate for clients at social service agencies and Housing Providers.
Easy going & nice environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2015
It was a very calm place to work! My supervisor was very nice and understanding as well. It was also an organization for the disable that offer counseling, job opportunies and a fun outlet.
program called "PROS" has no professionalism
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynJuly 3, 2015
most negative environment I've ever experienced.

no psychiatrist agrees to work there for any extended period of time due to morale and unrealistic expectations.

poor management, supervisors make false accusations and HR does not advocate for nonexecutive or nonsupervisory staff. assistant director asking staff for controlled substances. director throwing a chair during a staff meeting.

employees are overworked, underpaid and undervalued

advancement is not possible for 99% of staff

unhealthy environment leads to various medical conditions and unsanitary conditions. constant construction shakes building, releases chemicals in the air and inhibits morale. executive staff jokes about this and threatens to not pay employees in order to use employee salaries to repair the building. mold growing. leaks throughout the top floor of the building, where PROS is located.

no safety precautions despite dangerous clients (alternative to incarceration program with no security guard, no panic buttons, no video cameras and mostly 20-30 y.o. female staff)

demands on employees are unreasonable - asked to run up to 12 therapy groups per week, work with 20 clients, see each client individually weekly, write up treatment plans, progress notes, curricula, get all clients a primary care physician and a physical, document all outgoing calls in multiple locations, and other documentation that is demanded numerous times with changes due to poor management and supervision.

employees talk badly about each other and supervisors talk badly about employees to staff.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, nice support staff working in the elevator
Cons
unprofessional, physically unsafe, unsupportive environment, no advancement opportunities
productive work place
Direct Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn NYMay 7, 2015
Great working environment, I appreciate the program staff and consumers. I enjoy each weekend shift I'm scheduled to work. I only foresee growth within the organization.
Pros
Free Event Access
Cons
N/A
Wonderful place to work, friendly staff
Assistant Receptionist/Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2015
On a typical day at work staff go in get their job done by doing what their suppose to do and leave. Learn how to archive and file important documents. Management is great everyone treat you fairly. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of my job is dealing with rude clients . the most enjoyable part of my job is when they have a staff party for different occasions.
Pros
Surrounded by friendly people
Cons
Lack of Security
Home Visitor
Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2015
• Facilitated home visits aimed at helping at-risk expectant and new parents gain the skills and support they need to enrich their living environment Responsible for rendering quality service to a caseload of twelve families
• Referred residents and families to community resources to improve well-being and quality of life.
• Connected families with resources when children were identified as needing further assessment.
• Provided emotional support while with residents to develop long term plans and goals.
• Conducted competency-based, interactive interviews to identify client needs.
Unprofessional Executive staff
maintenance clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 14, 2015
Brooklyn Community Services was a great organization until the new Chief executive director and chief operating officer came to the organization everything began to go downhill. The executives are unprofessional with how they speak and interact with staff and clients.
Pros
Great worker and staff except for executive staff
Cons
Executive staff
Good place
Therapist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynApril 14, 2015
Laid back atmospher
Co workers are great
Visiting clients are hard because they dont want to be in program most times.
I dont have anything else to say about the company
Pros
Good Environment to work in...
Cons
An agency that cares about children and their families.
Receptionist, Summer Youth Employment Program (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 15, 2015
A typical day at work included answering the phone, transferring calls, and greeting clients. I learned how to make copies and fax important documents, and how to greet clients politely in person and over the phone. The manager was very nice and respectful, as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was remembering all of the different extensions for each worker at my site and the other sites, however the most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself.
Great starter position
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2015
This is a great agency. The vision and supervision provided was great! Working with families can be very rewarding...overall this was a good work environment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Pleasant and rewarding job
Prevocational Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2014
I work with clients who have developmental disabilities and I enjoy working with them. My coworkers and supervisor are very helpful and hardworking.
Great job culture with great people
Administrative Assistant/AR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2014
At Brooklyn Community Service, I have had the opportunity to work with great, kindhearted individual who take the job serious but know how to unwind.
decent work experience
Site Trainer/Habilitation Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2014
Great place to learn human service skills. Everyday brings something new.
Pros
consumer interactions
Cons
strenuous workload
brooklyn community services
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2014
i worked at BCS over summer 2012 & it was an overall good experience. I was completing an internship at the time & the work was not hard at all. Everyone working there was nice & friendly.
Making the best of a bad situation
Assistant Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 9, 2013
At the risk of being too honest. My current work situation is a challenge because I work for a "day care center" that is not truly geared towards the development of the mind. What, do I mean in this situation? I mean that I work with those who do not have a true understanding of pedagogy as it applies to the child, nor do they have the life experiences that are needed to help booster the child. I can make this assessment based on working one on one with those who constantly present a challenge to anything that is "out of the box" or that is not the norm. I love the students and what they want to learn from me and what I want to give them and most importantly what they teach me. However, because I must constantly defend my decisions around cleanliness, duty, obligation and the best interest of the child, it makes it hard for those student to get what they need. I often feel that because I am a self starter and willing to do anything or as my students say: "Go hard" for them I shine the light on those who are "half-stepping"

These things make it hard to come to work. I tend to stay in my classroom and totally engage the children. That is the blessing in the lesson. The children.

My take away from this experience is that I will not work in a place where I am not respected, and compensated properly for my experience, intelligence and wherewithal again. I have learned the in's and out's of what not to do as a direct result of being here. This will help me because I truly believe that I am an agent of change and paradigm shifting, those not just words in my cover letter that
  more... is the creed in which I live.  less
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No breaks
Wonderful work being done by wonderful people
Grant Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2013
As an intern, all of my efforts were appreciated. Everyone working at BCS wants to be there.
It was a great environment,with a lot of nice people and free coffee.
Volunteer Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 17, 2013
I had the freedom to take lunch hour as I see fit.The workplace was safe,and clean. My fellow workers were good to work with.
Pros
I learned alot about the computor
Cons
It was to short of a time.
A very interesting place to volunteer, they provide well needed services for the clients.
Volunteer-Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  7th Fl. Brooklyn, NY, 11217 June 14, 2013
I ensure that all clients have their schedules so they can attend their assigned groups. For me it is an enjoyable job because I am helping and interacting with clients who are very interesting and who are skilled in many ways. The management does as much as they can to facilitate the clients and to ensure that their life is calm and productive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brooklyn Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9