Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews

Don't get paid enough
NLS (Current Employee) –  All over brooklynApril 7, 2017
you work hard and don't get paid nearly enough. You are not just a librarian, but also a babysitter, social worker, custodian and after school teacher.
Great coworkers. Poor Management. Too Political
Technology Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2017
A great place to work if you want job security and excellent benefits.
A not so great place to work if you are looking for advancement. Especially if you don't have the right background and/or political alignment.
Volunteering at BPL
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2016
It isnt a hard job. It might get annoying with the silly requests some people come up with, but I found it was a good way to learn how to deal with difficult people. Coworkers were not bad at all. Since I only volunteered, I didnt have access to some parts of the system. It wasnt all that bad.
Good working experience obtained
Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2016
Worked with this company for more than 10 years and have learned some excellent skills along the way. Good employees and good benefits.
Pros
Five weeks vacation; good Union
Cons
Bad management
productive and a very fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 10, 2016
Had fun playing with the kids and doing fun activities with them and doing game times with teens and shelving books. I was always greeted with a positive energy and i was taught so much things from fixing a paper jam on a printer and how to check books out for others .
Wonderful training opportunity for career growth
Macintosh Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2016
I worked in the IT department. I loved the opportunities that offered training to advance my technical skills. The department culture was a bit divided, but overall a great and comfortable place to work in everyday.
Pros
Free holiday breakfasts/lunches
Cons
long abnormal hours due to the nature of the job
The Brooklyn Public Library Passport Acceptance Office
Weekend Passport Acceptance Manager (Former Employee) –  10 Grand Army Plaza Brooklyn NY 11238July 20, 2016
Very busy atmosphere, from start of the day to finish. You must be ready to receive applicants in a pleasant manner and be very knowledgeable regarding customer service ethics and policies of the US State Department.
Pros
Helping people to achieve the purpose of visit to the Passport Acceptance Office.
Cons
Applicant's do not have legal documentation provided to the US Department of State, for the issuance for Passport books or Passport cards.
Liberian
Liberian Assistant / Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 9, 2016
Loved this job. You get to help people with important information and read books to the youth. Organzie booksand even get to take how books to read.
Supportive Management
ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 30, 2016
Good work environment with supportive and encouraging managers. The most enjoyable part is working with the vast array of adult students from all over the world. The library offers a lot of wonderful free service, and I am happy to be able to provide one of these services to the local immigrant population.
Pros
accommodating
Stable, quiet and positive.
Part Timer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2016
Everyday you are expected to shelve all the books, and close up the library. It was fun, work environment was peaceful and efficient. The hours were understandable. The hardest task was shelving books during the weekends, because they were always the busiest. But every time I take a break, there is always food in the break room.
Pros
Free snacks, and great staff.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Working at a brooklyn library
Homework Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
I only volunteered so I got to pick my hours. I loved to work with the students and the staff was helpful and worked around my time frame.
Pros
Worked with kids
Cons
No pay
interesting, fun place to work with lots of perks
Office Aide Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 8, 2016
Brooklyn Public Library plays a very important role in its community. Children of all ages as well adults can explore the world through literature. Most libraries are serving as babysitters as well as summer day camps because many single mothers cannot afford aftercare.
Libraries are always Great!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2016
Very peaceful place to work when its not during peak hours, with very simple job responsibilities. If you love to read and constantly love to learn new things, this is your sanctuary.
books, books, and more books:)
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 1, 2016
Processing and checking books in/out was a typical day. Had the pleasure of getting my hands on hot sellers before it hit the shelves.
Pros
first dibs on new books
No room for growth
Special Officer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great co-workers. But management does not follow policies. And there is no room for growth within my department. Working with the public is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Management does not follow policies
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 5, 2016
I liked working at the library, this is really a job that is really productive. The best part of the job is that you get to sit down and also explore different library materials. Management was okay and so were the employees.
My Review
Substitute Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 28, 2015
The coworkers have a good sense of humor & are helpful the work

environment is not slow nor fast but can pick up quickly when the

neighborhood kids are home for the holiday.
Stressless place to work.
Technology Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2015
I don't have a typical work day. Everyday the tickets vary from server issues to an application needing a re-install. I've learned and I'm still learning more and more how to interact with people's various perceptions and expectations. Management does a pretty good job at managing us without micro-managing. As a result, we work more efficiently. The hardest part of the job is speaking to a non-professional irate person when I'm on the Help Desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers are dependable and we're always available to assist each other. We have a very good working relationship. We also do recreational things together outside of work.
Pros
Stressless environment.
Cons
Very little room for advancement.
Learning Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkAugust 26, 2015
I love the fact that a library can help young adults who're still in high school the options of doing an internship and show them how the library operate and functions, show them the ins and outs. even have them volunteer as they attend school. it also shows how the library helps the patrons that come through the building.
Pros
You see how the library come alive with different patrons wanting to learn how to update a resume, do different types of math, careers and etc. Even to pick whatever DVD they so desire.
Cons
A his/herself mentality, with no working AC, which makes the building almost unbearable, and it causes the building to close if it's nintey degrees or over.
Fun experience
Multicultural Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 3, 2015
I had the opportunity to work with a diverse population. I cannot think of a place whereas I was truly satisfied to come in to work everyday.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brooklyn Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval