Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews

Fun experience
Multicultural Internship Program (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 3, 2015
Pros: environment
Cons: pay
I had the opportunity to work with a diverse population. I cannot think of a place whereas I was truly satisfied to come in to work everyday.
Great students and most colleagues very helpful
ESOL Teacher - CELTA and Best Plus Certified (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Interesting students, good pay
I've enjoyed working for the Brooklyn Public Library very much. I have been given the opportunity to teach ESOL at three different branches, and each class has been vastly different, with diverse and motivated students.
Wonderful work environment
Library Information Supervisor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great team work, fun environment
I worked for Brooklyn Public Library for 10 years starting out as a Librarian Trainee and climbing the ladder to Library Information Supervisor. Brooklyn Public Library supports staff learning, and nurtures employee growth
A fun but resourceful place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2015
Pros: A lot of learning resources
On a normal day at work, I help in keeping the library flowing. Shelving books, Keeping books In order & helping customers with . I help my manager sometimes on Wednesday mornings with the little kids – more... in a Gymboree class.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have the opportunity to a lot of resources to help me if I want to study.

I have friendly & professional co-workers. We all get along. I'll say that I learned great communication skills while working there. And I also learned that when giving an opportunity, you have to make use of it. – less
Productive Customer Service / Helping People
Passport Manager Weekend (Former Employee), Brooklyn, New YorkJune 12, 2015
The Passport Services at Brooklyn Public Library began June 2011. I was an employee starting with the library's Passport office which began as a pilot. The Passport Department has thrived over the years and has bought financial gain to the library.
Productive and fun working place
Office Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 21, 2015
I Shelve Most of the time. the customer are very interesting the making working for this organization very enjoyable. My Co workers are amazing.
I used to love working for the library
receiving supervicer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 20, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: I had a 15 minutes break in the morning
I enjoy talking to others personnel talk about my responsability and duties. I used to check on my files make sure everything was on time and ok
productive, laid back
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2015
Pros: laid back, not very stressful
Cons: pay rate could be higher
Very productive and laid back work environment, usually we just assist patrons with computer skills when needed (resumes or typing etc), and we do alot of filing and shelving. Management is pretty decent for the most part, lots of miscommunication, but other than that its decent. The job is fairly simple there's really nothing difficult, but the most enjoyable part is just assisting the patrons.
Amazing opportunity to enrich the lives of children through reading
Independent Reading Contractor (Current Employee), Brooklyn Public Library branchesMay 3, 2015
Pros: introducing reading to young children, working with kids
Cons: really there are none.
Reading to children, while introducing key fundamental core subjects. The curriculum includes Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Play and Song.

This is an independent position that involves working with – more... children and their parents giving tips and suggestions for increasing reading in their children's lives.

Hardest part of the job is organization of activities and crowd control. This program is very popular and tends to get crowed.

The most enjoyable part of the day is watching the kids enjoy the books and songs. – less
Very fun program if you enjoy working children and parents to prepare them for kindergarten
Story Time Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 28, 2015
Pros: Materials are made available before the program begins, paid training session
Prepare reading list and activities before the week of program. Collaborate with Librarians to ensure the books are made available ahead if time . Enjoy reading and interacting with children of various ages and backgrounds. Most importantly, have fun !
Productive and Fun Environment
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee), 850 E 59th St, Brooklyn, NY 11234April 19, 2015
Pros: A lot of downtime to read
Cons: none
BPL Paerdegat Branch was an amazing High school work experience. I had attained that job in my senior year of high school and it worked out perfectly as I was done with classes by 11am and had down time to work and study. I learned a lot about organizing, assisting patrons with basic needs, going above and beyond helping the head librarian when an employee called out.
Recruiter and Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 14, 2015
It was an amazing experience working in the Brooklyn public library. It had a family culture which helped me feel comfortable and perform my duties. However, i came to realize that the library life wasn't for me. It was a good experience but i rather spend my days somewhere else than the library.
Excellent place to work.
Community Youth Developer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: technology enhancement
Cons: dealing with the public at times
Employees are down to earth. Management is compassionate. The public really makes the day go by fast. Some days might be boring but there will be drama especially when the school kids arrive. The management doesn't really bother anyone just make sure you're doing what's supposed to be done.
Productive work space
Part-time Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn NY 11213January 31, 2015
Pros: amaing co workers
Cons: short breaks
Working at Brooklyn Public Library is an amazing experience. As a team, we work to serve the public to the best of our ablility. My normal work day is organizing the shelves and sorting the books so the public can access the book they desire without complications.
productive
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
i enjoyed working here, everyone was nice and i also loved helping the kids wen they came into the library it wasn't to hard for me at all i think the hardest thing was keeping the library neat cause people always leave books out besides that it was ok
Good voluntary experience
After School Homework Helper (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 6, 2015
I volunteer as an After School Homework Helper at Brooklyn Public Library. All my co-workers and supervisors are extremely nice and cordial toward me. They make sure I feel safe at their branch.
An institution that is essential to the neighborhood it serves
Special Officer/Peace Officer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 18, 2014
Brooklyn Public Library is a learning institution that has been providing excellent services to the community it serves.
Productive work place
Passport Acceptance Agent (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 12, 2014
Friendly environment to work in. A typical day at work consists of executing 5-10 applications depending on how busy it is. Great learning experience. Management and co-workers are friendly and there to help if needed.
working
Volunteer Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 25, 2014
Pros: brakes
Cons: no lunch
Its was a great volunteer job to gain some skills , it was really busy
team work based enviroment
Usher/Ticket Taker (Former Employee), 10 grand army plazaOctober 20, 2014
Pros: long lunch breaks
Cons: pay was bi-weekly
a typical day at work was go in make sure the auditorium was clean the seats were placed with the reserved signs if necessary, then lead the guests to their seats make sure the speakers or performers were comfortable and ready, attend to anyone for any question or assistance then lead the guests out after the show check all areas of the auditorium before closing up.