Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews in United States

Working at a brooklyn library
Homework Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
I only volunteered so I got to pick my hours. I loved to work with the students and the staff was helpful and worked around my time frame.
Pros
Worked with kids
Cons
No pay
interesting, fun place to work with lots of perks
Office Aide Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 8, 2016
Brooklyn Public Library plays a very important role in its community. Children of all ages as well adults can explore the world through literature. Most libraries are serving as babysitters as well as summer day camps because many single mothers cannot afford aftercare.
Libraries are always Great!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2016
Very peaceful place to work when its not during peak hours, with very simple job responsibilities. If you love to read and constantly love to learn new things, this is your sanctuary.
books, books, and more books:)
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 1, 2016
Processing and checking books in/out was a typical day. Had the pleasure of getting my hands on hot sellers before it hit the shelves.
Pros
first dibs on new books
No room for growth
Special Officer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great co-workers. But management does not follow policies. And there is no room for growth within my department. Working with the public is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Management does not follow policies
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 5, 2016
I liked working at the library, this is really a job that is really productive. The best part of the job is that you get to sit down and also explore different library materials. Management was okay and so were the employees.
My Review
Substitute Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 28, 2015
The coworkers have a good sense of humor & are helpful the work

environment is not slow nor fast but can pick up quickly when the

neighborhood kids are home for the holiday.
Stressless place to work.
Technology Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2015
I don't have a typical work day. Everyday the tickets vary from server issues to an application needing a re-install. I've learned and I'm still learning more and more how to interact with people's various perceptions and expectations. Management does a pretty good job at managing us without micro-managing. As a result, we work more efficiently. The hardest part of the job is speaking to a non-professional irate person when I'm on the Help Desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers are dependable and we're always available to assist each other. We have a very good working relationship. We also do recreational things together outside of work.
Pros
Stressless environment.
Cons
Very little room for advancement.
Learning Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkAugust 26, 2015
I love the fact that a library can help young adults who're still in high school the options of doing an internship and show them how the library operate and functions, show them the ins and outs. even have them volunteer as they attend school. it also shows how the library helps the patrons that come through the building.
Pros
You see how the library come alive with different patrons wanting to learn how to update a resume, do different types of math, careers and etc. Even to pick whatever DVD they so desire.
Cons
A his/herself mentality, with no working AC, which makes the building almost unbearable, and it causes the building to close if it's nintey degrees or over.
Fun experience
Multicultural Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 3, 2015
I had the opportunity to work with a diverse population. I cannot think of a place whereas I was truly satisfied to come in to work everyday.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay
Great students and most colleagues very helpful
ESOL Teacher - CELTA and Best Plus Certified (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2015
I've enjoyed working for the Brooklyn Public Library very much. I have been given the opportunity to teach ESOL at three different branches, and each class has been vastly different, with diverse and motivated students.
Pros
Interesting students, good pay
Wonderful work environment
Library Information Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 23, 2015
I worked for Brooklyn Public Library for 10 years starting out as a Librarian Trainee and climbing the ladder to Library Information Supervisor. Brooklyn Public Library supports staff learning, and nurtures employee growth
Pros
Great team work, fun environment
A fun but resourceful place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2015
On a normal day at work, I help in keeping the library flowing. Shelving books, Keeping books In order & helping customers with . I help my manager sometimes on Wednesday mornings with the little kids in a Gymboree class.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have the opportunity to a lot of resources to help me if I want to study.

I have friendly & professional co-workers. We all get along. I'll say that I learned great communication skills while working there. And I also learned that when giving an opportunity, you have to make use of it.
Pros
A lot of learning resources
Productive Customer Service / Helping People
Passport Manager Weekend (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkJune 12, 2015
The Passport Services at Brooklyn Public Library began June 2011. I was an employee starting with the library's Passport office which began as a pilot. The Passport Department has thrived over the years and has bought financial gain to the library.
Productive and fun working place
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 21, 2015
I Shelve Most of the time. the customer are very interesting the making working for this organization very enjoyable. My Co workers are amazing.
I used to love working for the library
receiving supervicer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 20, 2015
I enjoy talking to others personnel talk about my responsability and duties. I used to check on my files make sure everything was on time and ok
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
I had a 15 minutes break in the morning
productive, laid back
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2015
Very productive and laid back work environment, usually we just assist patrons with computer skills when needed (resumes or typing etc), and we do alot of filing and shelving. Management is pretty decent for the most part, lots of miscommunication, but other than that its decent. The job is fairly simple there's really nothing difficult, but the most enjoyable part is just assisting the patrons.
Pros
laid back, not very stressful
Cons
pay rate could be higher
Amazing opportunity to enrich the lives of children through reading
Independent Reading Contractor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Public Library branchesMay 3, 2015
Reading to children, while introducing key fundamental core subjects. The curriculum includes Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Play and Song.

This is an independent position that involves working with children and their parents giving tips and suggestions for increasing reading in their children's lives.

Hardest part of the job is organization of activities and crowd control. This program is very popular and tends to get crowed.

The most enjoyable part of the day is watching the kids enjoy the books and songs.
Pros
introducing reading to young children, working with kids
Cons
really there are none.
Very fun program if you enjoy working children and parents to prepare them for kindergarten
Story Time Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 28, 2015
Prepare reading list and activities before the week of program. Collaborate with Librarians to ensure the books are made available ahead if time . Enjoy reading and interacting with children of various ages and backgrounds. Most importantly, have fun !
Pros
Materials are made available before the program begins, paid training session
Productive and Fun Environment
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  850 E 59th St, Brooklyn, NY 11234April 19, 2015
BPL Paerdegat Branch was an amazing High school work experience. I had attained that job in my senior year of high school and it worked out perfectly as I was done with classes by 11am and had down time to work and study. I learned a lot about organizing, assisting patrons with basic needs, going above and beyond helping the head librarian when an employee called out.
Pros
A lot of downtime to read