Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews

Great coworkers. Poor Management. Too Political
Technology Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2017
A great place to work if you want job security and excellent benefits.
A not so great place to work if you are looking for advancement. Especially if you don't have the right background and/or political alignment.
Good working experience obtained
Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2016
Worked with this company for more than 10 years and have learned some excellent skills along the way. Good employees and good benefits.
Pros
Five weeks vacation; good Union
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful training opportunity for career growth
Macintosh Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2016
I worked in the IT department. I loved the opportunities that offered training to advance my technical skills. The department culture was a bit divided, but overall a great and comfortable place to work in everyday.
Pros
Free holiday breakfasts/lunches
Cons
long abnormal hours due to the nature of the job
Volunteering at BPL
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2016
It isnt a hard job. It might get annoying with the silly requests some people come up with, but I found it was a good way to learn how to deal with difficult people. Coworkers were not bad at all. Since I only volunteered, I didnt have access to some parts of the system. It wasnt all that bad.
productive and a very fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 10, 2016
Had fun playing with the kids and doing fun activities with them and doing game times with teens and shelving books. I was always greeted with a positive energy and i was taught so much things from fixing a paper jam on a printer and how to check books out for others .
The Brooklyn Public Library Passport Acceptance Office
Weekend Passport Acceptance Manager (Former Employee) –  10 Grand Army Plaza Brooklyn NY 11238July 20, 2016
Very busy atmosphere, from start of the day to finish. You must be ready to receive applicants in a pleasant manner and be very knowledgeable regarding customer service ethics and policies of the US State Department.
Pros
Helping people to achieve the purpose of visit to the Passport Acceptance Office.
Cons
Applicant's do not have legal documentation provided to the US Department of State, for the issuance for Passport books or Passport cards.
Not the best, not the worst
Supervisor, Passport Services (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2014
A typical work day at Brooklyn Public Library Passport Acceptance Facility consists of agents dealing with people of various cultural, economical and social diversities and trying to assist them in meeting the eligibility requirements set forth by the US Department of State in order to apply for a US passport. What I have learned from my time working here thus far is that we will never be able to please everyone all of the time. I have enhanced my interpersonal and communication skills grately in this position. I have several co-workers I enjoy working with. The hardest part of the job is having to discipline others, especially those you are closest with. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery amongst most of the staff.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule, Ability to bring children to work
Cons
No benefits, No promotional opportunities, No raises
Love and MISS doing HR work
Part Time Clerk- Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 13, 2012
This was my very first job starting at the age of 17 and I was able to keep up with the fast paced environment. Not only did I love the rush but it fit perfectly into my school schedule at the time and it was an environment where every one respected each other personally as well as their job duties. My co-workers and I in HR were actually considered a family. I have two and half years of experience with clerical work as my position in a office that still has not left me. Alphabetizing folders dating back into the late 70's early 80's for employees with seniority at different library locations. I also handled in box and outbox notices, faxing, time sheets (signatures and hours bi- weekly), reviewed new employees credentials, sick notices, updated the computer system, and lastly temporarily stepped in for the front desk receptionist when she was out. LOVE LOVE LOVE this job and will hope to find another soon!!
(Was so great I received a big jump in salary)
Pros
hour break, two 15min breaks, 9-5pm and paid on time
Cons
no benefits
Stable, quiet and positive.
Part Timer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2016
Everyday you are expected to shelve all the books, and close up the library. It was fun, work environment was peaceful and efficient. The hours were understandable. The hardest task was shelving books during the weekends, because they were always the busiest. But every time I take a break, there is always food in the break room.
Pros
Free snacks, and great staff.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Supportive Management
ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 30, 2016
Good work environment with supportive and encouraging managers. The most enjoyable part is working with the vast array of adult students from all over the world. The library offers a lot of wonderful free service, and I am happy to be able to provide one of these services to the local immigrant population.
Pros
accommodating
Liberian
Liberian Assistant / Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 9, 2016
Loved this job. You get to help people with important information and read books to the youth. Organzie booksand even get to take how books to read.
Stressless place to work.
Technology Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2015
I don't have a typical work day. Everyday the tickets vary from server issues to an application needing a re-install. I've learned and I'm still learning more and more how to interact with people's various perceptions and expectations. Management does a pretty good job at managing us without micro-managing. As a result, we work more efficiently. The hardest part of the job is speaking to a non-professional irate person when I'm on the Help Desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers are dependable and we're always available to assist each other. We have a very good working relationship. We also do recreational things together outside of work.
Pros
Stressless environment.
Cons
Very little room for advancement.
interesting, fun place to work with lots of perks
Office Aide Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 8, 2016
Brooklyn Public Library plays a very important role in its community. Children of all ages as well adults can explore the world through literature. Most libraries are serving as babysitters as well as summer day camps because many single mothers cannot afford aftercare.
Working at a brooklyn library
Homework Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
I only volunteered so I got to pick my hours. I loved to work with the students and the staff was helpful and worked around my time frame.
Pros
Worked with kids
Cons
No pay
Libraries are always Great!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2016
Very peaceful place to work when its not during peak hours, with very simple job responsibilities. If you love to read and constantly love to learn new things, this is your sanctuary.
Great potential
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 6, 2014
Great benefits, great pay. Paid time off, vacations, promotions.
books, books, and more books:)
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 1, 2016
Processing and checking books in/out was a typical day. Had the pleasure of getting my hands on hot sellers before it hit the shelves.
Pros
first dibs on new books
Average Job
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2013
This job is fairly easy. Sometimes I may deal with uneasy patrons but overall there is nothing that I cant handle.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Salary
Learning Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkAugust 26, 2015
I love the fact that a library can help young adults who're still in high school the options of doing an internship and show them how the library operate and functions, show them the ins and outs. even have them volunteer as they attend school. it also shows how the library helps the patrons that come through the building.
Pros
You see how the library come alive with different patrons wanting to learn how to update a resume, do different types of math, careers and etc. Even to pick whatever DVD they so desire.
Cons
A his/herself mentality, with no working AC, which makes the building almost unbearable, and it causes the building to close if it's nintey degrees or over.
No room for growth
Special Officer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great co-workers. But management does not follow policies. And there is no room for growth within my department. Working with the public is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Management does not follow policies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brooklyn Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

Brooklyn Public Library Reviews by Location