Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews

Love and MISS doing HR work
Part Time Clerk- Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 13, 2012
This was my very first job starting at the age of 17 and I was able to keep up with the fast paced environment. Not only did I love the rush but it fit perfectly into my school schedule at the time and it was an environment where every one respected each other personally as well as their job duties. My co-workers and I in HR were actually considered a family. I have two and half years of experience with clerical work as my position in a office that still has not left me. Alphabetizing folders dating back into the late 70's early 80's for employees with seniority at different library locations. I also handled in box and outbox notices, faxing, time sheets (signatures and hours bi- weekly), reviewed new employees credentials, sick notices, updated the computer system, and lastly temporarily stepped in for the front desk receptionist when she was out. LOVE LOVE LOVE this job and will hope to find another soon!!
(Was so great I received a big jump in salary)
Pros
hour break, two 15min breaks, 9-5pm and paid on time
Cons
no benefits
The library was a nice and pleasant job to be.
Part-time (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2012
It is the busiest branch in brooklyn right along with the Grand Army Plaza library branch. The most days that keeps me extremely busy was Fridays and Sundays, that is when the library is in full capacity and the hardest part of the job is trying to keep the aisles and shelves tidy so the are no accidents. The children section is the hardest place to keep the area straight because the kids are running and throwing the books on the floor and our job is to make sure all of the book materials are off the floor. For the most part, Saturdays were more a calm and quiet day because there were less patrons there and I can easily do my job and enough time to tend to my section and make sure everything are in order. I enjoyed my co-workers, they made the job a little less stressful and fun to be around with and they had great personality. I enjoyed working at the library but my time was up and I was ready to move on challenging my experience to higher expectation.
Not the best, not the worst
Supervisor, Passport Services (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2014
A typical work day at Brooklyn Public Library Passport Acceptance Facility consists of agents dealing with people of various cultural, economical and social diversities and trying to assist them in meeting the eligibility requirements set forth by the US Department of State in order to apply for a US passport. What I have learned from my time working here thus far is that we will never be able to please everyone all of the time. I have enhanced my interpersonal and communication skills grately in this position. I have several co-workers I enjoy working with. The hardest part of the job is having to discipline others, especially those you are closest with. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery amongst most of the staff.
Pros
flexibility in schedule, ability to bring children to work
Cons
no benefits, no promotional opportunities, no raises
Productive and fun place to work
Library Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2012
A typical day at work includes setting up computers for use for the patrons once we open; once we are open distribute laptops for use in the library. Instruct technology resource workshops for teens, adults and seniors: Computer Basics, Microsoft Office Suite, and Social Media. Provide customer service to patrons to collect information about problems and lead users through diagnostic procedures to determine sources of error. Train staff on software and hardware usage. Provide reference assistance to patrons when needed. Recorded daily evaluations of programs for reporting and grant purposes. The hardest part I say of the day is setting up for the classes and the enjoyable part of the day is when the classes end and see that the patrons that have attended leave with a smile and tell me that they learned something new today.
Stressless place to work.
Technology Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2015
I don't have a typical work day. Everyday the tickets vary from server issues to an application needing a re-install. I've learned and I'm still learning more and more how to interact with people's various perceptions and expectations. Management does a pretty good job at managing us without micro-managing. As a result, we work more efficiently. The hardest part of the job is speaking to a non-professional irate person when I'm on the Help Desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers are dependable and we're always available to assist each other. We have a very good working relationship. We also do recreational things together outside of work.
Pros
Stressless environment.
Cons
Very little room for advancement.
Hard but fun work day
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkAugust 3, 2012
Working in the teen time program in the library was hard but it was fun as well. I didn't get paid in money, but we were a family which was fine.Even though I wasn't paid I still had a good deal. No more late fees sounds good doesn't it. Whenever I had a late fee they got rid of it for me. The only teens time was just me and my friend at the time. The others members were kids. These kids were a major pain in the neck. Some days they were sweet as candy the other I thought I was watching over monsters. But it was for a good cause. They came from bad homes. If it wasn't for the program those kids could have been on the street getting into trouble. All I can say is that this experience was very rewarding. It gave me an opportunity to give back to the community and to myself.
Learning Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkAugust 26, 2015
I love the fact that a library can help young adults who're still in high school the options of doing an internship and show them how the library operate and functions, show them the ins and outs. even have them volunteer as they attend school. it also shows how the library helps the patrons that come through the building.
Pros
You see how the library come alive with different patrons wanting to learn how to update a resume, do different types of math, careers and etc. Even to pick whatever DVD they so desire.
Cons
A his/herself mentality, with no working AC, which makes the building almost unbearable, and it causes the building to close if it's nintey degrees or over.
Amazing opportunity to enrich the lives of children through reading
Independent Reading Contractor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Public Library branchesMay 3, 2015
Reading to children, while introducing key fundamental core subjects. The curriculum includes Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Play and Song.

This is an independent position that involves working with children and their parents giving tips and suggestions for increasing reading in their children's lives.

Hardest part of the job is organization of activities and crowd control. This program is very popular and tends to get crowed.

The most enjoyable part of the day is watching the kids enjoy the books and songs.
Pros
introducing reading to young children, working with kids
Cons
really there are none.
Love the many responsibilites
Librarian Associate & Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2012
I learned so much and really feel this is where i acquired all my great professional skills.

I trained and supervise young people. Help to shape their work value and ethics. Priceless!

Learning to multitask. I had so much responsibilities: supervisor of fulltimers, parttimers, summer youths, book buddies and learning to manage different personality archetype, while maintaining a high caliber of customer service. In addition to meeting report deadlines. While being a defacto counselor for the youths who i supervised along with the ones who patronize the library. I truly cut my teeth at the Library.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
I enjoyed working at the Brooklyn Public Library...
Technology Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYMay 7, 2014
I enjoyed working at the Brooklyn Public Library. The days went by fast, because the library branches that I worked at was always busy. The library on the job training was awesome. I acquired all my computer skills working at the library. I got along with all of my managers. They were balance and approachable. The hardest part of the job was telling people they had to pay their library fines. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you can help a customer find what they are looking for in a timely fashion
Pros
promotions and pay
Cons
working nights or weekends
A book lover's dream!!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2013
My main responsibility was to fill the Holds List.
I learned more of the inner workings of the Holds section.
Management is management because they are good at their profession.
My co-workers were of all ages, backgrounds, and religions. They are all still dear to me.
The hardest part of the job was not locating a person's request because it had been misplaced by someone.
Every time that I processed a Hold, it felt as if I was giving someone a Christmas gift!!! :) Only, this 'gift' eventually had to be returned!
Pros
when i needed to take time away it was given to me.
Cons
standing for long periods of time.
A fun but resourceful place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2015
On a normal day at work, I help in keeping the library flowing. Shelving books, Keeping books In order & helping customers with . I help my manager sometimes on Wednesday mornings with the little kids in a Gymboree class.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have the opportunity to a lot of resources to help me if I want to study.

I have friendly & professional co-workers. We all get along. I'll say that I learned great communication skills while working there. And I also learned that when giving an opportunity, you have to make use of it.
Pros
A lot of learning resources
Educational and positive environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2014
Tutor many Spanish speaking students in their efforts to learn English as their second language. I learned the difficulties they faced by only speaking Spanish and learning to write in English. Management was excellent being this was my first time volunteering, taught me a lot of important things. This job was pretty easy everyone was prepared daily. the most enjoyable part of this job was meeting people from different countries and building lasting relationships.
Pros
learned a little spanish
Cons
had no cons great learning experience
I love to work with people
Technology Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYSeptember 21, 2012
The Library taught me so much about working with people of various ages and cultures. I taught basic computers to adults, resumes, toddler computers, did circulations desk checking in and out library items, and inserting and deleting new partons from the database, processing payments and helping with programs. Everyone there seemed to love to be at work and enthusiasm is contagious! It was a wonderful place to work
Pros
great pay, great people, freedom to innovate, teamwork
Cons
laid off during maternity leave
productive, laid back
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2015
Very productive and laid back work environment, usually we just assist patrons with computer skills when needed (resumes or typing etc), and we do alot of filing and shelving. Management is pretty decent for the most part, lots of miscommunication, but other than that its decent. The job is fairly simple there's really nothing difficult, but the most enjoyable part is just assisting the patrons.
Pros
laid back, not very stressful
Cons
pay rate could be higher
Recruiter and Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 14, 2015
It was an amazing experience working in the Brooklyn public library. It had a family culture which helped me feel comfortable and perform my duties. However, i came to realize that the library life wasn't for me. It was a good experience but i rather spend my days somewhere else than the library.
Productive and Fun Environment
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  850 E 59th St, Brooklyn, NY 11234April 19, 2015
BPL Paerdegat Branch was an amazing High school work experience. I had attained that job in my senior year of high school and it worked out perfectly as I was done with classes by 11am and had down time to work and study. I learned a lot about organizing, assisting patrons with basic needs, going above and beyond helping the head librarian when an employee called out.
Pros
A lot of downtime to read
team work based enviroment
Usher/Ticket Taker (Former Employee) –  10 grand army plazaOctober 20, 2014
a typical day at work was go in make sure the auditorium was clean the seats were placed with the reserved signs if necessary, then lead the guests to their seats make sure the speakers or performers were comfortable and ready, attend to anyone for any question or assistance then lead the guests out after the show check all areas of the auditorium before closing up.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
pay was bi-weekly
Very fun program if you enjoy working children and parents to prepare them for kindergarten
Story Time Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 28, 2015
Prepare reading list and activities before the week of program. Collaborate with Librarians to ensure the books are made available ahead if time . Enjoy reading and interacting with children of various ages and backgrounds. Most importantly, have fun !
Pros
Materials are made available before the program begins, paid training session
Busy day at the Brooklyn public library
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 7, 2012
One day I had to shelve a lot of books because there was no one on the floor until an hour later. I was thinking to myself how am I going to show my supervisor that I am shelving. So what I did was put two carts of books in order brought them on the floor, I shelved one and put one out for the public. When I was done shelving I went back to shelve the other one.
Pros
funny co workers
Cons
short breaks and no hours