Brooks Rehabilitation Employee Reviews in United States

Not happy here
Morrison Senior Living (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 4, 2015
I feel like there is a high turn around rate here, certain employees seem to be immune to discipline. Management has been in and out alot recently and its been a very stressful environment. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells.
Also I cant trust that if I was to have an issue with certain coworkers, one manager I do not feel that I could safely go to her and have an unbiased opinion or trust that something would be done.
Pros
Free food, interactions with residents and making them happy
Cons
no benefits, no advancement opportunities
It's not a good place to work
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 16, 2015
The way Brooks treats their staff is disgraceful! The people on the staff are generally very good at what they do, and are loyal to a fault. In the end, none of that matters, you will still not be valued by management, who only care about making money and meeting budgets that are pulled down out of the sky. All for a not-for-profit company making $80-100 million a year on the backs of staff working very long hours with no additional compensation!
Pros
Staff are great
Cons
Lack of profressional respect from management
Productive place to work, employees really care about their patients.
Central Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 15, 2016
Small but very busy call center. Co-workers work hard together and continues to meet and exceed goals. Upper management really cares about their employees.
Horrible
Just Another Number (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Run as fast as you can if anyone from Homehealth offers you a position. This is the worst place to work in terms of the Brooks brand. They are not even Brooks anymore but Brooks Americare so what you are left with is more Americare and less Brooks.
Awful
Manager (Current Employee) –  UniversityFebruary 1, 2015
Upper management has no clue how to run a company where employees feel secure. Upper management is deceptive and back stabbing. For a large company, it is hard to find anyone to trust. There is no life work balance for employees who are salaried. There are no boundaries for evening and weekend phone calls and emails. This company will kill you.
Pros
benefits, but now health insurance is poor
Cons
back stabbing
Enjoyable Worplace(Registration)
Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 30, 2013
Totally enjoyed my position as a front desk coordinator @ Brooks Rehabilitation. Nice atmosphere to work, amazing security staff, therapists, & therapy aides. Great benefits & compensation as well. But the management is crazy terrible. There are people whom hold the positions as supervisors & center managers who shouldn't even been considered as management options. Supervisors doesn't perform their job duties at all. Keep up too much drama & lies to be in leadership position... Would not assist the staff when help was needed during registration with escalated issues. Intended to sabatoge funds to have individuals fired... just horrible management...
Pros
excellent benefits, friendly/safe workplace
Cons
extremely horrible management
I loved it
Grill Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 30, 2015
The enviorment is a great place to work. Low wages were my only real complaint. I woulsd reccomend this as a job to work at just dont expect top make a ton of money.
Good place to work if you have the right attitude
LPN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL (Bartram Campus)April 30, 2015
I've been working part-time for Brooks (Bartram Campus) in the skilled nursing dept as an LPN for about 2 months. I enjoy the job very much. Its definitely hard work and very fast paced, so be prepared for that. Its much more acute care than most rehabs/nursing homes so if you aren't use to it, it can be a little overwhelming at first. But everyone I've worked with so far has been very helpful and had no problem answering my questions since I'm new. Most of the staff I've worked with on my shift (3-11) are very team oriented and help each other as much as they can. I can't speak for other shifts though. They pay very well (for nurses at least) compared to my previous jobs and from what I've heard from other nurses who've worked elsewhere in the area. I make more working part time here than I did working full time at my previous facility. Patient care is top notch, I've only run into a small handful of nurses/CNAs who had bad attitudes and just plain didn't want to work and they were dealt with accordingly by management. I find the work/home life balance to be great for the position, but again, I'm only part time. However, if you work 3-11 as a nurse, prepare to work some late nights, especially if you have a new admission and especially when you are new and learning the ropes. But they pay a substantial shift diff for working 3-11 so it makes up for a few late nights, for me at least. You really have to be on your game as a nurse and know how to prioritize.

Most of the physicians are there a lot which is really helpful when you need orders or have a new admission. Makes
  more... it much easier than having to call all the time and wait for call backs what not. And most of them are pretty approachable if you have your stuff together. I've heard some horror stories about some of the providers but I haven't had any run-ins yet myself. The higher ups also pop in quite often to see how things are running - I've seen the CEO, CFO, and VP of nursing there a lot in my 60 days.

The orientation is very long and definitely could use some whittling down. There is a lot more 'classroom time' when more time shadowing on the floor would be much more useful. From what I was told in my orientation, they are actually going to change up how they do orientation so its not so lengthy and allows for more floor time. Not sure if its happened yet.

As for the person who complained about the food being expensive - they aren't really set up for employee meals to be honest. They don't have an employee cafeteria like at the big hospital or a serving line for employees. I don't even know anyone who eats from the kitchen there, most people bring their dinner/lunch or go get something on their break.

Also, the flu shot is mandatory unless you have a medical or religious reason you cannot have it. You can still work there if you have those exemptions, they just have you take certain precautions during flu season. That is standard in any healthcare setting.

Basically, work hard, don't be a jerk to your CNAs, actually CARE about your patients and you'll be just fine.
Pros
Pay, benefits, helpful staff, accessible physicians, free CEUs
Cons
orientation is long, late nights
Great place for RN
Rn (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, flSeptember 6, 2013
I was an RN at brooks for several years, i thought it was great pay & benefits. You have to be nice and proactive in order to get your raises. Patient load a little tough, but patient care is top notch here compared to other local acute rehab facilities. Management is constantly brainstorming/ changing the way things are run in order to find the best way to do things. I am very proud to be a part of this growing facility.
Pros
nice clean facility, computerized charting
Cons
lifting the patients- hard on the back
Brooks SNU
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 11, 2015
Brooks Rehabilitation is a great company to work for. My experience with them began from a family member standpoint. My son was a patient for inpatient pediatric and out patient rehabilitation. The care he received was excellent. This is what motivated me to join the Brook's team. However, I did not have that experience when wok at the Skilled Nursing Unit at St Vincent's South. The unit is poorly manged. The turnover rate is very high for that reason.
it wears on you
PT (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleMay 18, 2013
I agree with the previous post. There are definite management issues, and staff is underpaid compared to industry standards. The employees are getting unhappier by the day. The management talks a big game and Brooks has a reputation of being a great company, so you tolerate the substandard wages for a little while, then it just isn't worth it anymore.
Pros
fairly good benefits, great therapists
Cons
salary, management
not appreciated/no coordination
RN CM (Former Employee) –  home healthJuly 9, 2013
If you enjoy time with your family don't work in the home health department. Lack of direction/management issues are abundant. They keep piling on the work with no compensation for it. Their favorite phrase "we are working on It".
Pros
great co workers
Cons
unappreciated/low end of salary range
Knowing you help someone.
CNA (Current Employee) –  JACKSONVILLE, FLAugust 19, 2015
I enjoy being able to go to work everyday to help someone who cant help themselves. I have excellent coworkers, and I learn what it is for people with strokes. The hardest part of my job is wacthing these people go throuh pain.
Mismanaged hospital operations
Medical Recoords (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 4, 2013
High turnover because of management issues and cronyism. Challenges include keeping good people because they are not valued.
Pros
location
Cons
salary not competitive
Healthcare
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville floridaOctober 2, 2013
PRN work great benefits lots of chances for Advancement. working with different people every day
Pros
self rewarding
Cons
getting attached
Family atmosphere
FDC/Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2015
check in/out patients, schedule appointments, verify insurance, assist PT whenever necessary, call patients, customer service
They need to make some changes
Cna (Former Employee) –  Bratram crossingMarch 10, 2015
I was hired to work for Brooks. I went through a week of orientation in a classroom, I personally think the classroom orientation is very over done. Then u have another week of orientation on the floor. My first day on the floor I was let go Beacuse of my background. I had a battery charge from 2000. Brooks said I needed a excempation to work for them. I explain I had one through the State Of Florida. Brooks use ACHA for background checks but the problem with that is ACHA can't see State issued excempation, So why are they using ACHA??? I feel like that's Brooks lost cause I am a hardworking CNA! I think Brooks should get background check complete before they allow you to work cause there loosing money by hiring before background check comes back. My question to Brooks was... You said I need a excempation to work for you, I have one, But ACHA couldn't see it. Being that I have proof of one dated 2years ago Brooks still tell me I have to reapply! We'll that's not going to happen
Pros
extensive medical check
Cons
there lunch is 10.00 mandatory flu shots:(
interview process
mental health (Former Employee) –  jacksonville floridaMay 18, 2015
The interview process was grueling and I thought it was overdone. The people interviewing me were stuffy, arogant and rude
Pros
nice setting
Cons
have to use pto with no paid holidays
Brooks Rehabiliation
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 10, 2014
The typical day at work with brooks for me would be to check up on my guest to make sure their morning went accordingly.
Working at brooks i have realized how important my job duties truly are working together with the therapist. The management at Brooks, i can say with no doubt are very professional with their task at hand. Working in the medical field it is vital to work as one with your co-workers, and i heavenly believe in that statement. The hardest part of the job i would say is giving that final hug good-bye to the guest, which you have help for the weeks you were together. The most enjoyable part of my job... witnessing my guest smile.
Not a good learning environment.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, Inpatient RehabMarch 19, 2015
Not a good learning environment. Staff was arrogant and unfriendly. Disorganized and demanding. They will work you and then spit you out! They could care less about there staff.
Cons
Food was awful.

2.9