BROOKSHIRE BROTHERS Employee Reviews

Hated everything about this place!
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Groveton, TXJune 25, 2015
What to say about working at B&B...

I started working at a branch of Brookshire Brothers, B&B Foods, because my step-dad's best friend was the manager and knew I was looking for a job. I started the end of my junior year in high school.

The first month was okay. I was still getting used to how everything worked and it was my first job, so I didn't want to get too upset about anything. The only thing I really had a problem with was standing for so long because it hurt my back, but I got used to it after a few weeks.

That was when my coworkers started calling in all the time for every little thing that went wrong in their lives. It was summer, so I'm pretty sure they were just blowing work off. One person even called in for an ear ache! I would come in so I could make more money and ended up having to work six days a week (I would have worked all week if it weren't for the fact that we couldn't have more than 40 hours each week).

Then my manager offered me a promotion to work in the office so that I could work my way up to assistant manager one day. I gladly took the offer and he said we'd get started on training me that Saturday. Well, that Saturday rolled around and we never got to it because it was a busy day. He told me we'd do it Monday then. Monday came around and I didn't get trained. So then he told me he'd call me when a good day came around to train me. He never did. I brought it up again the next week and he said we'd have to wait for a bit.

I was getting tired of being lied to about being trained for the office position (they'd lied to me for over a
  more... month) and coming in every day for my coworkers. I had requested three days off one week so that I could go to Galveston with my family for vacation and had been told that it was fine because I'd requested the time off two months in advance. When the time came, they scheduled me to work two of those days, claiming that I had requested two days earlier in the week off. I had to fight with them to get them to change the schedule (they almost didn't change it until I MADE them bring out my request off form to show them I had requested 3 days off in a row) and I got my days off.

Then, when I got back, with no warning, I started being scheduled to work the petro booth (the gas booth) every single day instead of doing half the week as a cashier inside and half in the booth. I asked about it and they said the reason they did that is because I was one of the only people who didn't complain about being in the booth, but I felt they were being dishonest with me. It was at this time that my managers started being rude to me, making sly comments about how I'd fought to get my vacation days off. I started getting ridiculous complaints from people I'd never met before - one even said I had completely ignored them at the petro booth, refusing them service, which I never did. My managers wouldn't listen to me and I was pretty sure one of my managers was the one who put those people up to complaining about me.

So I stopped coming in for people and doing favors for coworkers. That's when they cut my hours - to TWO days a week, EVERY weekend, EVENING shifts. I had requested morning shifts, so I knew they were doing this on purpose, in retaliation.

I thought about quitting so many times, but there really weren't any other jobs in my small town and I liked having a little extra money for myself.

About a year and a few months into the job, the assistant manager was out for two weeks because she'd overdosed on a prescription. She came back for a week and then was out for another two weeks for overdosing again. I guess someone complained about her drug use because they ordered drug tests for every employee at our store. It was a random urine test.

About a week later, I get a call from my manager saying that he had to fire me because my drug test was positive. He said he didn't know what it was positive for and that I'd have to call the lab to find out. I knew I'd tested positive for hydrocodone because I had a prescription, so I thought that's what it was and that I could fix it. I called them and they told me that I failed for hydrocodone AND marijuana. This simply wasn't true. I had smoked before, when I was younger, but I didn't then. I told them to test it again and did some research online to find that many different things can make you test positive for marijuana - poppy seeds on hamburger buns, ibuprofen, and more that I can't remember right now. I take ibuprofen on a regular basis because I get migraines and it helps, so I figured that's what made me test positive.

The lab called me back to say I'd tested positive the second time around and when I told them I'd taken ibuprofen on a regular basis and that could have caused it, they said it didn't matter. So I got fired for taking ibuprofen and now have a failed drug test on my record forever, which made it nearly impossible for me to get hired on anywhere else.

Trust me when I say DO NOT WORK FOR BROOKSHIRE BROTHERS OR ANY OF THEIR OTHER BRANCHES!!!
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Everything else about the company
Stressful enviroment and there not team players
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Brenham, TXDecember 13, 2012
Working in the deli on the second shift is on for the faint hearten.
The near six months I have worked there has went down hill rapidly, I will have to go in at 2pm start cooking chicken right away instead of doing the food temperatures( which should be the first thing done) then cut onions and tomatoes instead of cleaning the fryer pot's which should have been done by the first shift people before they left.then make salads and sandwiches for the next day, fry hamburgers, prep anything else that needs to be done, ( all the while serving customers) there should be three people working every night, we normally have two and we are expected to get all the closing work done plus handle customers fry chicken make all the other food and keep dishes done floor clean windows washed and dining area clean with two people, we do this nightly and complain a lot, the management team does nothing about it. We all feel the management is very inconsiderate and unhelpful, there is not one store manager that can come into the deli and do what I do, I feel all management should be able to do my job so well as me in case of an emergency. How can they dictate to me my job when they have know idea what I'm doing?
Coworkers are not team players and causes a lot of tension in the deli.
The first shift people leave a mess for us to clean and don't do a lot of there things before they leave, leaving it for the second shift to finish, according to the management ( just get it done )
I have learned to train the new hires on the night shift, from the first thing that is to be done to the last thing before
  more... calling the manager to check us out at the end of the day, and how to depend on themselves not the management. It's very important to keep yourself safe and always put the customers first. The hardest part of the job is the non stop lifting 50 lbs+ all day and night.
The most enjoyable thing is talking with the customers and giving them the best service I can. ( there are some most wonderful people out there).
Cons
low pay for the work exspected, no food or beverage disscounts, nothing is offered to the employies for the store contest, only the department managers win gift cards)
Productive and fast-paced environment
Petro Clerk/Cashier/Office Clerk/Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 22, 2015
A typical work day for me was very, very busy. I was responsible for answering phones and directing calls, processing returns and exchanges, doing Western Union transactions, back-up cashiering, giving people breaks, and building tills and balancing them, along with adding up all checks, coupons, and cash for the day to balance the store at the end of my shift. The hardest part about my position was not getting breaks, myself, sometimes because I was so busy in the office. The store managers sometimes didn't help much with that problem. It makes Customer Service a bit more challenging, but I was able to push through it. It was also difficult to be "in charge" of younger people because I'm not too much older than them and they sometimes didn't want to listen to me. Aside from the negative, I loved working with the general public and the challenges that it brought kept everything interesting. I did the same work every day, but the circumstances were different most of the time. There were very few days that I was bored.
Pros
fast-paced, fun people
Cons
no breaks, late nights
Would not recommend as employment to anyone
Retail Applications Manager (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXApril 15, 2013
The only enjoyable time during my time here was during my last 5 years with them. I was doing to installs that kept me away from office politics 3-5 days a week. My coworkers and immediate supervisor were good to work with/for. The big problem there is upper/executive management. They look out and bend over backwards to for people in their circle but have no regard or respect for for anyone else regardless of what you know and how well you do your job. Their management philosophy seems to be to threat, threat, threat and keep employees in fear of getting fired. This goes on at the corporate and retail level. In a nutshell, I would not recommend a position at Brookshire Brothers to anyone.
Pros
not a pro of "the company" but i had a supervisor that was flexible with schedules and comp time
Cons
executive management and too much corporate politics
Great place to work with great eployees
Inventory Control/Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 24, 2015
On a typical day at work i unload our incoming shipment do inventory on grocery, strategically place ad items in front of store for maximum exposure, engage in healthy conversations and assist customers with any situation or question they may possess, maintain inside/outside the building for safety and cleanliness, closes store. I've learned how to work in to different division of the store to make myself more valuable to my superiors.
Management is relaxed and works well with students and hardworking. The co-workers are driven to graduate from school and comes to work everyday as true professionals . The hardest part of the job is unloading the incoming shipment. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging in conversations with the customers and providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Little oppurtunity to advance
The job was not as it shojuld be
Crew (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, TXJuly 23, 2015
A typical day at work was preparing food mostly fried chicken and clean the fryers, doing dishes, an sweeting and moping. That was the fun part. I learned a lot working in the back. I use a lot of the cooking techniques in my own home. Like battering fried chicken in a big bowl is a lot faster then one piece at a time. plus the some of the co-works were easy going but more would not work and played on their phones, the management did the same thing, not work and played on their phone. I think the hardest part was trying to do everything on my own while the others did nothing but it was enjoyable when you do finely work with someone that works at a team with you an the others hard works.
Cons
dont get paid enough to deal with bad management
Bad management
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Salado, TXApril 22, 2015
The job itself is alright and the people are great. I was a stocker and I remember we would have to stay until 3 or 4 in the morning dusting some nights due to the big wigs coming to town. The store manager is horrible, if you say something wrong about him or question anything then he will try to look down on you. He thinks he is better than anyone else and he made that store worse. Seemed like management didn't know what the priorities were and didn't know how to handle busy situations very well. If you want to work in retail I would suggest going to Belton or Temple and work for HEB or Walmart.
Pros
quitting
Cons
management
Great store director but no assistance
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, TXOctober 16, 2015
The store director does the best with what they have but with two assistants who are just shy of useless it is hard to get much of anything done. The one assistant antagonizes all employees on a daily basis, trying to scare them or prank them and getting into arguments with teenage cashiers in the middle of a transaction with a customer. The two assistants are very unprofessional and that is probably the hardest part of the job, in particular the assistant who acts like a teenage boy most of the time even though he is roughly middle aged.
Pros
Flexible hours for people in school or second jobs
Cons
Assistant managers
Spent 34 years with this company. Had some great years
HBC, GM Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXMay 9, 2013
As a category manager I controlled the inventory in the warehouse for the HBC product. I set pricing, changed planograms, submitted new items and deletions, selected items for the ad and best buys, set pricing, and ran movement on product. Through these years I learned how to deal with many circumstances and how to work on many projects at the same time to get them completed in an allotted time slot. The hardest part was making sure every thing was done before the deadline. The satisfaction of a job well done was the best part of the job.
Pros
insurance, 401 k
Cons
long work hours at times
Demanding workplace, but fun at the same time
Assistant Store Director (Former Employee) –  Carthage, TXFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day included helping customers locate items as well as ordering items for a customer, along with making sure the store was ready for any promotions that were advertised. I learned a lot about business and merchandising, as well as advertising and what it takes to run and maintain a business. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different attitudes and personalities of the customers, not everyone was happy with everything but we always reached a resolution. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees, a lot of good people at work made the day better.
Pros
friendly customers, good employees
Cons
very long shifts
Fun work place.
Cashier/Price change/DSD (Former Employee) –  Liberty, TXOctober 14, 2014
Every day was definitely a challenge but the people i worked with always made the days interesting. What this job taught me, was the importance of shrink and how much a company looses money over the smallest things. Management was never really a problem for me because in most work environments as long as you get the job done there should never be problems with management. I don't think there where any hard parts about working here. The most enjoyable part of the job was attending to customer needs and impressing the boss.
Pros
helping people
Cons
pay
Office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXAugust 26, 2014
Very early hours reconciling the store sales for the day before, before opening up for business the next day. I managed a office with a lot of cash, credit and debit sales, and collection on return checks. scheduling employees work hours and making sure all customers was taken care of. I started out as a checker and worked myself up to management, a lot of long hours. Enjoyed the customers and the fast pace,, made the days short. I had the respect of my bosses and co-workers,, simply because I gave them the same amount of respect as well. I left the job to go into the medical field,,
Pros
meeting alot of people
Cons
great place to work for a good pay
Bagger, Frozen/Dairy Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wimberley, TXMay 7, 2012
I usually worked nights in dairy, which involved cleaning and stocking the whole department. management is corrupt, we have had a manager that has sleep with 2 cashiers in the store, and both cashiers were fired because of it, while the manager still is allowed to work there. we also had a manager sleeping with a coworker that promoted her to assistant manager, which went sour and the manager finally got fired after a calling a coworker who was known to be homosexual a hurtful term.
Pros
paid vacation, fun co workers, easy to learn work
Cons
corrupt management
Good job.
delicook/server (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMarch 6, 2014
I learned a lot when I was working for brookshire Brothers.
I learned a lot from my boss and he helped you when you needed it.
I will remember him and what he has taught me. And for my coworkers they were great we all were like a small family we were there for each other as a team. The hardest part of the job was making sure you got the line set up on time. I had to come in and had a hour to get breakfast set up and on the line then start on lunch while you kept up breakfast it was good challenge.
Was a good place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Sulphur, LANovember 15, 2013
Working there used to be fun until the Store Manager became consumed in making his employees miserable. My co-workers do not want to do their job and so they make it difficult for everyone else to get things done. Management plays favoritism and if they aren't doing that, then they are cutting your hours and they will not let you call in unless you are on your death bed.
Pros
work around school schedule
Cons
hard to please
Wide variety of knowledge
DSD COORIDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Carthage, TXMarch 2, 2013
Fast paced work and sometimes stressful; on days that the store is busy and your working from one department to the other trying to make sure all the customers are taken care of. There are many of my co-workers and myself that has more than one position. Sometime you may have to act as manager for the day when there are meetings being held in the corporate office.
Pros
easy to get along with everyone you work with or come in contact with.
productive
Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXDecember 31, 2013
I would receive in new grocery trucks, and stock groceries. I would also work at cash registers when needed. I later became lead stocker. I've learned that speed is an advantage! I think I may have out-grown my management team, because I showed concern for the customers. The harderst part of that job was working a manager that has a lack of concern for employer, employees, and customers. The most enjoyable part was making a customer smile by giving them caring, quality service!
Slow paced work area
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crandall, TXFebruary 4, 2015
A day at work would include trying to stay busy. With the location we have the business is not very good. Although, I can say that ive learned a lot by working here. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be the customers, most of them are very friendly and give you a good laugh. Other than that the job would probably be a lot better if we actually got good business.
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, not enought hours
my application process was no different than no others i have no feedback on any improvements within the company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vidor, TXMay 25, 2012
my overall day at brookshire brothers was different on each day i learned alot about gas pumps prices how different the prices were on any product than they were in north carolina the management overall was helpful anytime i needed them they would be available i worked with some nice and helpful cowrorkers and the most enjoyable part of the job was the public i love meeting new people
Pros
working around the public
Cons
short breaks
Fun and Enjoyable Work Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Crandall, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Over the past two years that I've worked at the store, I've learned many new things. I've learned how to work meat, and clean the floors properly, as well as new people skills and handling cash. I've learned that the customer is (almost) always right, and how to quickly diffuse situations between the workers and customers. The atmosphere is always a happy one, and the people who work there are as close as family.
The managers are very easy to follow, and enjoyable to talk to and the co-workers are pleasant as well.
Pros
pleasant work atmosphere
Cons
everyone but managers are part-time