BROOKSHIRE BROTHERS Employee Reviews

No complaints
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Wimberley, TXAugust 21, 2015
No complaints on my end. Pay was great and on a weekly basis; schedule was always consistent. The workload was manageable and there was plenty of room for advancement.
fun people to work with
frozen manger (Former Employee), Magnolia, TXAugust 10, 2015
always looked forward to work with friends but would get called in a lot for unknown reasons even with over time and only day off.
The job was not as it shojuld be
Crew (Former Employee), Magnolia, TXJuly 23, 2015
Cons: dont get paid enough to deal with bad management
A typical day at work was preparing food mostly fried chicken and clean the fryers, doing dishes, an sweeting and moping. That was the fun part. I learned a lot working in the back. I use a lot of the cooking techniques in my own home. Like battering fried chicken in a big bowl is a lot faster then one piece at a time. plus the some of the co-works were easy going but more would not work and played on their phones, the management did the same thing, not work and played on their phone. I think the hardest part was trying to do everything on my own while the others did nothing but it was enjoyable when you do finely work with someone that works at a team with you an the others hard works.
Review
waitressing, and bus boy (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 23, 2015
Pros: yes
Cons: No
I go to school at Remington College for Cosmetology. I make good grades. I have not been a manager but I have taken managerial classes. Right now I have no coworkers. I don't find anything hard about school except remembering the steps for state board. I enjoy the challenge of remembering the steps for state board.
A second Family
Cook, Cashier (Former Employee), Woodville, TXJuly 21, 2015
Cons: short breaks and no free refills
It was a fun work environment, my store had a great crew with no drama. even though there were some tuff rules to follow everyone worked together to get it done
Productive, caring, favorite job
Cashier (Former Employee), Coldspring, TXJuly 20, 2015
Pros: caring people and new everybody
Cons: memorizing numbers
Fun place to work at. I learned how to manage working and going to school at the same time with this job. Management was the best management i have ever seen. Everyone was so caring for each other and took note of who everyone was at this job. Hardest part of this job was memorizing numbers for produce.
Great place for teenagers to start
Cashier (Former Employee), Dayton, TXJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Good management, easy
Cons: low pay, different schedule each week
Not very good pay but an excellent place for teenagers and people in school to work for a first time job. The only other downside is that you don't get a set schedule. Your hours are different every week.
Great Place
Inventory Control/Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Huntsville, TXJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule
Cons: Little Career Advancement
Great management they really want all there employees to succeed. Great place to start working if you are a student because the hours are very flexible and management will work with you.
Awesome place
Deli Attendan/Grocery Store (Former Employee), Salado, TXJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great company, great individuals
Cons: It was in a bad location in a part of Bell County that if I didn't live there I couldn't get there
A typical day at work was very competitive in nature, and I learned a lot from the staff, and the customers. My co-workers were awesome, while the waiting on the customers and filling the orders, cutting the product, and weighing it all up was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting things accomplished.
Fun, exciting, adventurous
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Deridder, LAJune 29, 2015
I've learned so much working here. I started as a cashier, then a pharmacy clerk, then office clerk, non-food department manager, and many other titles in between before becoming an ICC, inventory control clerk. I met so many different personalities! It taught me better public communication skills and so much alike!
Hated everything about this place!
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Groveton, TXJune 25, 2015
Pros: Simple job
Cons: Everything else about the company
What to say about working at B&B...

I started working at a branch of Brookshire Brothers, B&B Foods, because my step-dad's best friend was the manager and knew I was looking for a job. I started the end of my junior year in high school.

The first month was okay. I was still getting used to how everything worked and it was my first job, so I didn't want to get too upset about anything. The only thing I really had a problem with was standing for so long because it hurt my back, but I got used to it after a few weeks.

That was when my coworkers started calling in all the time for every little thing that went wrong in their lives. It was summer, so I'm pretty sure they were just blowing work off. One person even called in for an ear ache! I would come in so I could make more money and ended up having to work six days a week (I would have worked all week if it weren't for the fact that we couldn't have more than 40 hours each week).

Then my manager offered me a promotion to work in the office so that I could work my way up to assistant manager one day. I gladly took the offer and he said we'd get started on training me that Saturday. Well, that Saturday rolled around and we never got to it because it was a busy day. He told me we'd do it Monday then. Monday came around and I didn't get trained. So then he told me he'd call me when a good day came around to train me. He never did. I brought it up again the next week and he said we'd have to wait for a bit.

I was getting tired of being lied to about being trained for the office position (they'd lied to me for over a – more... month) and coming in every day for my coworkers. I had requested three days off one week so that I could go to Galveston with my family for vacation and had been told that it was fine because I'd requested the time off two months in advance. When the time came, they scheduled me to work two of those days, claiming that I had requested two days earlier in the week off. I had to fight with them to get them to change the schedule (they almost didn't change it until I MADE them bring out my request off form to show them I had requested 3 days off in a row) and I got my days off.

Then, when I got back, with no warning, I started being scheduled to work the petro booth (the gas booth) every single day instead of doing half the week as a cashier inside and half in the booth. I asked about it and they said the reason they did that is because I was one of the only people who didn't complain about being in the booth, but I felt they were being dishonest with me. It was at this time that my managers started being rude to me, making sly comments about how I'd fought to get my vacation days off. I started getting ridiculous complaints from people I'd never met before - one even said I had completely ignored them at the petro booth, refusing them service, which I never did. My managers wouldn't listen to me and I was pretty sure one of my managers was the one who put those people up to complaining about me.

So I stopped coming in for people and doing favors for coworkers. That's when they cut my hours - to TWO days a week, EVERY weekend, EVENING shifts. I had requested morning shifts, so I knew they were doing this on purpose, in retaliation.

I thought about quitting so many times, but there really weren't any other jobs in my small town and I liked having a little extra money for myself.

About a year and a few months into the job, the assistant manager was out for two weeks because she'd overdosed on a prescription. She came back for a week and then was out for another two weeks for overdosing again. I guess someone complained about her drug use because they ordered drug tests for every employee at our store. It was a random urine test.

About a week later, I get a call from my manager saying that he had to fire me because my drug test was positive. He said he didn't know what it was positive for and that I'd have to call the lab to find out. I knew I'd tested positive for hydrocodone because I had a prescription, so I thought that's what it was and that I could fix it. I called them and they told me that I failed for hydrocodone AND marijuana. This simply wasn't true. I had smoked before, when I was younger, but I didn't then. I told them to test it again and did some research online to find that many different things can make you test positive for marijuana - poppy seeds on hamburger buns, ibuprofen, and more that I can't remember right now. I take ibuprofen on a regular basis because I get migraines and it helps, so I figured that's what made me test positive.

The lab called me back to say I'd tested positive the second time around and when I told them I'd taken ibuprofen on a regular basis and that could have caused it, they said it didn't matter. So I got fired for taking ibuprofen and now have a failed drug test on my record forever, which made it nearly impossible for me to get hired on anywhere else.

Trust me when I say DO NOT WORK FOR BROOKSHIRE BROTHERS OR ANY OF THEIR OTHER BRANCHES!!! – less
Great place to work with great eployees
Inventory Control/Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Huntsville, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: Tips
Cons: Little oppurtunity to advance
On a typical day at work i unload our incoming shipment do inventory on grocery, strategically place ad items in front of store for maximum exposure, engage in healthy conversations and assist customers with any situation or question they may possess, maintain inside/outside the building for safety and cleanliness, closes store. I've learned how to work in to different division of the store to make myself more valuable to my superiors.
Management is relaxed and works well with students and hardworking. The co-workers are driven to graduate from school and comes to work everyday as true professionals . The hardest part of the job is unloading the incoming shipment. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging in conversations with the customers and providing excellent customer service.
Great place to start out at
Assistant Store Director (Former Employee), Navasota, TXJune 23, 2015
Amazing company to start out with, however there are very few opportunities for advancement depending on which title you currently hold.
fun workplace for part time jobs.
Leader and team member (Current Employee), Jacksonville, TXMay 12, 2015
Pros: flexible with school schedule
Not really a hard job. Enjoy helping customers. Work with good employees. have learned a lot as an team player and builded up to a leadership, but the management is kind of bad.
Goodenvironment to work.
Cashier, sacker, stocker (Former Employee), Kountze, TXMay 11, 2015
Great work place also good management and coworkers. learned about how to keep a grocery store running and keep customers happy.
Very productive, and friendly place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Hemphill, TXMay 8, 2015
I would recommend anyone to work at Brookshire Brothers. You could defiantly have a future there, i started young and moved up fast. It was a very organized, productive, yet friendly place to work.
Bad management
Stocker (Former Employee), Salado, TXApril 22, 2015
Pros: quitting
Cons: management
The job itself is alright and the people are great. I was a stocker and I remember we would have to stay until 3 or 4 in the morning dusting some nights due to the big wigs coming to town. The store manager is horrible, if you say something wrong about him or question anything then he will try to look down on you. He thinks he is better than anyone else and he made that store worse. Seemed like management didn't know what the priorities were and didn't know how to handle busy situations very well. If you want to work in retail I would suggest going to Belton or Temple and work for HEB or Walmart.
productive, fun.
Cashier (Former Employee), Giddings, TXApril 21, 2015
Pros: getting to meet people
Cons: short hair, dress code
A typical day at brookshire brothers would be seeing new faces everyday of course. I learned to get along with different people, I learned to control an attitude, mature. The most enjoyable part would have to be meeting the very nice people and being around friends.
love the enviroment
Gilbert Garcia Cashier (Former Employee), Jewett, TXApril 20, 2015
not very flexible with the hours they schedule people, and they tend to hire young students who are unreliable and quit because they dont want to work as needed.
Poor, Dirty I hate it
cahier (Former Employee), Madisonville, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: people always are talking about others
enough said about these people. if your deperatly broke and want to get yelled at all the time for doing your job just go work there.