Broward College Employee Reviews

Fun to teach and learn
Adjunct Psychology Professor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 19, 2016
My typical lecture engages students in a myriad of subjects within the field of psychology.

Teaching can and is bidirectional.

I have learned from my students as well as teaching them the fundamentals of basic psychology.

I learned that engaging my audience, one must consistently and methodologically attend to each person, even in a large classroom setting.

This means balancing out relevent questions while balancing the general knowledge of the classroom.

I have enjoyed the multicultural aspect of the management at this setting.

The most challenging part of this position was getting hired the day prior and having the responsibility to students to create syllabi and presentations and reading the required textbook to freshen up on what I was about to lecture.

The most enjoyable part of this job, like therapy, is knowing when a difference is made and a student actually learns from my lectures. I have been personally moved when students have taken the time out to thank me and explained that psychology was broken down to be understandable in what can be abstract and sometimes complex to undergraduate students.
Pros
Interracting with students of many backgrounds
Cons
Adjunct professor does not come with health benefits
Ok place to work in
Assistant / Learning Resource Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLAugust 31, 2015
Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there. Liked working there.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
All interactions with students have been positive and motivating in my roles of Academic Advising, Career Services and as an Adjunct Faculty Member.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLDecember 19, 2012
Broward College:
My typical day at work ran from 8:00AM until 9:15 at night when I facilitated evening classes. Because I enjoy working with students, my days were never routine, and I was never bored or frustrated. Given that my assignment was an independent posting, I had collaborative relationships rather than co-workers, and coming together with individuals from various areas of the department and the community to plan and host events was always an exciting time. The hardest part of the job was watching the resources for students dwindle, but this provided opportunities for me to exercise my resourcefulness in order to support the students' academic and professional goals. Seeing the smiles or the tears of joy and learning of their accomplishments and successes as the semesters passed made it all worthwhile.
very productive place to work
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  FLSeptember 13, 2013
A typical day I work would be, I come in put my bag down sing in go strait to filling paper, running errands, helping students out who might have any questions. About two to three hours, I switch position with my co worker who leaves for that day. I become the front desk assistant which contains of :Performed all general office duties including answering an 8 line phone system while checking students in for their appointments and making sure they have the proper documents for their appointments. I learned that I can multitask very well and love helping others. My co workers are all good at what they do, we workers as a team and that is how we get things done in the office. the most enjoyable part of that job was helping the student singing up for school and to see the excitement in their faces when they come out and thank me. If I did not have to leave for school, most likely I would still be working there.
Tutor Students Broward College
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 5, 2014
A typical day at work, I had to be available for any help needed by students, from questions about their Computer's Literacy Projects, to troubleshoot any hardware or software issues that might happen.
I had to troubleshoot the computers, printers in the Computer Lab. Also, per student's request deploy computers with the Operating system needed for practice. That procedure was done, by ghosting several images to the computers.I also had to solve Staff problems and provide assistance to their requests. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching students, and feel the satisfaction of helping others. I also enjoyed learning something new everyday about technology. It was a work-study job, so I was working part time, and studying part-time Networking Administration. I really enjoyed working in a education environment.
Pros
no commuting necessary from classes to job.
Cons
just part-time
Educational Sector
Computer Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLMay 24, 2015
I started off at the college as a lab proctor. After graduating with a Bachelors and earning a few IT certifications, I became a desktop technician for the whole campus. It was at this time that I was given the opportunity to teach in the Computer Science department. It was a very gratifying role to be an educator. With working as a tech in parallel, it gave me many stories on how the material that we were learning can be applied in a real work situation. I went on to obtain a Masters degree while working at the college full-time and teaching. The work environment was very laid back and more like family. It was a difficult decision to leave, however, I wanted to use the knowledge that I had acquired about Networking and there were no vacant positions at the time. So I resigned and transitioned into the corporate world.
Intrinsically rewarding job.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLJune 13, 2015
The biggest benefit from this job is that you get to help others understand difficult subjects while you keep yourself refreshed in the knowledge of the subject matter.

My co-workers were mostly other students like myself, retired teachers, current teachers working evenings and weekends or experienced tutors.

I learned a lot about communicating with others, learning styles and study skills.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with a great number of highly stressed out students seeking help at the last minute before finals and exams. You have to be extremely patient because a lot of them have no interest in the subject.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to help and the management is sensitive to your scheduling needs which was great while balancing full time course load and the job.
Great environment with many opportunity to grow in customer service.
Student Life Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJuly 17, 2013
Reviewed calendar of events, help prepare what was needed for upcoming events, called new or returning talents for future events that were to be held at the college, and wrote up contract for director’s approval.
I learned great customer service skills, how to plan and execute large events, and working with a team to complete many tasks.
Management was well organized, they were very open to questions, and taught my co-workers and I what we should and should not do.
My co-workers were like a family away from home, always willing to give a helping hand.
Hardest thing at my job was write the contracts the way my director wanted them.
Most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the final event take place without a hitch.
Pros
working at my college
Cons
only part-time possition
I work independently
Student Life Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 24, 2015
My work day includes:
• Creating vendor contracts
• Negotiating contracts
• Attending committee meetings
• Planning events/programs for students with students
• Purchasing marketing material and giveaways
• Meeting/training student leaders
• Following up with vendors
• Running events
• Making and implementing budget plans
• Address student complaints
• Supervise student staff
• Perform additional on call duties as the closing supervisor

I have learned to successfully self manage, work with a team of diverse individuals, and plan great programs/events on a small budget.

It is always a bitter sweet time for me when a student leader graduates.

I love being able to make events come to life. It is always rewarding to see my vision successfully become reality.
Great place to work!
SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 13, 2013
Broward College is an excellent place to work for many reasons. They offer great benefits for both part-time and full-time employees and training is always available to improve yourself in your field or to become familiar with other desired fields.

The most positive aspect is that management is always open to new ideas, concepts, and advancement. The most challenging aspect of my particular position is being able to to obtain the necessary funding for our department to consistently implement and manage these new ideas or concepts. This generally creates a lot of compromise and thus the quality of our final product can be quite limited at times.
Pros
growth, opportunity, flexible, management, benefits
Cons
bureaucracy
As of recent events at the central campus. Get your degree and leave
Campus Safety Officer-CCTV Officer (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 28, 2013
Get job, but too many personal issues with the management of Broward College from the Sgt. to the top. my advice is to use the education benefits and complete a degree, then leave because if your not a particular person of there ideal candidate such as ex. police, military, corrections, etc, you wont be there for lone.

The Co-Workers are great, except for the interim Cpl. supervisor that recently got there promotions. All supervisors from before 2010 are great,but the new staffing don't have a clue how to run the department, lots of Overtime, Call-outs, Resignation because of mismanagement.
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
management, yearly rotation of schedules
Its gets a little busy at times but our flow of track and staff still makes it fill as if its no line no waiting. Friendly environment!
Senior Registration Specialist- Full-Time (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLDecember 10, 2013
My typical day at work involves servicing students with all registration process. I believe getting an education and degree will take you far in life. My co-workers are very intelligent, nice and friendly. Their isn't a hard part about my job but when difficult situations occur im able to tackle them with the knowledge and expericence I have here for over seven and a half years. Im well rounded in just about everything I do. my enjoyable part of my job is working with a wonderful group a staff members.
Pros
flexibility, tuition exemption
Cons
one hour lunch break
Broward College taught me leadership skills, and helped me to become a better person.
New Student Orientation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLApril 25, 2014
On a typical day at Broward College, I have to be infront of a classroom, full of new students, and present a 3 hour powerpoint presentation. This position, allowed me to gain experience in delivering effective messages through powerpoint slides and allowed me to gain public speaking skills. In this position, it required me to build a strong bond with my coworkers, because it was important for for my coworkers and I to work as a team, in order for our presentations to run smoothly and be organized. The most enjoyable part of my job is that i get to meet people from all different types of backgrounds.
Respect for faculty and encouragemebt to strive to the highest levels of teaching remaings Broward's strength for those seeking employment.
Professor of Geology (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek Park, FLMarch 7, 2015
Broward College remains a community college first and foremost.
Its adherence to strict policy in faculty search is perhaps its strength which guaranties the top tier of faculty. Also, Broward has an advantage over many colleges in its hiring by its location in South Florida and reputation. It ranks as one of the countries top colleges.
Pros
a faculty dedicated to the first two years of college. all faculty possess at least a masters degree
Cons
course choises and library not as large as major universities.
Very productive and fun place to get involved in.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 16, 2013
Student Ambassador
• I am a great leader representative where I meet a lot of new people build communication and customer service skills.
• Working in association with student life and SGA to set up every event on campus.
• Helping Admission and advising offices with student applications; help student register for classes and solve registrations errors.
• Direct campus tours to new students; make and answering phone calls as well.
• Maintain quality control/satisfaction records, constantly seeking new ways to improve customer service.
Challenging in the fact that one is always replacable
Creative Design (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLMay 10, 2012
A typical day at work was to update the school's Student Life Website and work on creative design projects. I've gained experience in Photoshop CS3 because of working here. Management was always understanding and yet persistent in having things done on time. I worked by myself. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines that were given to me 'an hour ago' for the same day; however the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to finish up my homework in the mean time.
Pros
helped pay for school
Cons
money was coming out of my financial aid
This too shall pass...
Lead Campus Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLOctober 24, 2015
Management driven policies are driving the organization to the bottom of the ocean. Meanwhile, some of the best talents are jumping ship. As the institution continues to move to toward a corporate model, it is losing the community paradigm it was once known for and valued. There is either a lack of care or maybe it’s a strategy to undervalue employee, or no one just has not gotten a clue on how to move the ship away from this wreck.
Pros
Work/life balance is somewhat flexible.
Cons
The pay and benefits are horrible. The margin for career advancement is very small.
great company with good management
Science department, Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Davie, FlJune 30, 2014
My experience with FMC (Florida medical center) was very interesting and helpful because it was my first work in Florida. Usually I started my work from the computer to print orders for blood drawing. Professionally, it took me about 6 month to be familiar with details of my new work. My manager and co-worker were very helpful and ready to answer any questions. The hardest part of the job was night shift. The most enjoyable part is communication with my friends and hollydays
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short 15 min. cofee break
Intercultural environment
Spanish Tutor, Lab Assistant and Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLMay 30, 2014
• Provide students with specific instructions on the use of the learning lab resources to enhance learning and increase student success.
• Assess student workbook exercises for accuracy and provide feedback to the students to increase learning.
• Develop and implement lab operations and evaluations involving students and staff.
• Create weekly communication sessions with bi-lingual students and students enrolled in Spanish classes to enhance and reinforce learning.
Broward College Review Summary
Instructor and Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at Broward College consist of helping students and faculty accomplish their goals. For example, students are always in need of assistance with their school schedules, and majority of our full-time faculty members need assistance with technology. Providing my services has helped me to get promoted and expand my unlimited knowledge of modern technology and public relations.
Pros
great employment opportunities
Cons
employment contracts are too short

4.4