Broward County Employee Reviews

Passion Oriented Career
Social Studies Teacher and Department Head (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 5, 2016
This is not a high paying or competitive paying industry. You have to have a passion for working with students and a love of your content. The best teachers are those that are data driven to change content, reflective on their teaching practices, and empathetic to the lives of their students.
Pros
consistency in daily activity
Cons
short lunch breaks and a changing benefits and compensation package
Winner of many awards in Public Procurement.
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 6, 2016
This is a fast pace and responsible position in Public Procurement and winner of many awards in Public Procurement. There is opportunity for advancement and training is readily available.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Very Busy
A Workplace from HE Double HOCKEY STICKS!
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 19, 2016
Worst organization in history!
They automatically low ball you on compensation because they are a state agency so there's pretty much no room for negotiation on the crumbs they offer. Management is super illiterate and just collecting checks based on the hard work of the employees below them that invest their time and effort into an organization that shows no employee appreciation what so ever.
OPS employment is pretty much a joke and a waste of time, You don't get any sick time, vacation time accrued, no free attendance to a state college ... nothing besides health insurance which they just recently brought after enough complaints. JUST DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!
Pros
NONE!
Cons
EVERYTHING!
toxic work environment, bad management
Senior Digital Media Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 15, 2016
Management consist of people close to retirement who don't want to train or motivate employees. Employees feel entitled, are lazy and generally very negative. Too many bad apples and management does nothing to change work culture.
Cons
few promotional opportunities, pay is low, work is mundane
Broward Addiction And Recovery Center BARC
Detox Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 6, 2016
Housed in an old church.
All that management cares about is keeping all 34 beds filled.
Provider is an enabler, patients keep coming back.
No room for advancement.
RN's and LPN's are blamed for all of BARC short falls.
Bad documentation program called ECHO.
Lots of micromanagement!
Mandated to stay a second shift if there is no RN to relieve you.
Clients don't take BARC seriously and most go to BARC because the other choice is jail.

Stay away from this (dead end) RN detox job. You will loose all your skills.
Pros
Cons
Dead End RN job
Great enviroment, perfect for learning costumer service
Range aid (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLSeptember 2, 2016
a typical day at work meant dealing with 30+ costumer a day, minimum age requirement for entry was 10 years old. Providing safety and great costumer service. Management was ok, did the minimun necessary to run the facility, assitants did the rest of the work. Co-workers were fun and helpful at all times, great attitude. Hardest part of the job was dealing with hard costumers in the harsh florida heat. The most enjoyable part was being able to learn from my superiors, how to run a large susccessful county facility, and networking, meeting very susccesful people.
Pros
shooting lessons, free counseling and clinics on conflict resolution, management, maintenance, etc.
Cons
outdoors, harsh weather.
Fun staff and workplace
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLSeptember 5, 2016
A typical day at work would entail greeting swim lesson participants as well as the parents, teachers or counselors that accompanied the children. I would then administer water safety techniques and teach these skills to the children, then proceed with the swim lessons. After the designated and scheduled time for swim lessons was over, I would then lifeguard on various stands around the water park watching over guests in pool areas and enforce rules of the park as well as provide any assistance guests needed. Once the park was closed and all patrons left, all staff would clean the park with various maintenance such as cleaning bathrooms and picking up trash. I would then stay later for another round of private swim lessons with the same procedures as I had in the morning.
Pros
Coworkers were a lot of fun and got to be outside all day
Cons
Guests were a little unruly and rude
Great
Utility Mechanic/ Water Plant (Current Employee) –  Broward County, FLAugust 21, 2016
Nice Place to work, if your looking for job security. So far i've been treated well and everyone is cool, not hic-up's. just wish that the pay was more or else it wouldnt be a high turn over
Pros
steady
Cons
insurance too high for family, income is'nt enough
A place of opportunities
To assist in the layout of foundation (Current Employee) –  Tradewinds ParkAugust 7, 2015
The work day is fast pace and always challenging. I've many skills including supervisor skills, strategic planning, and skill labor. I've managed summer employees and after school/summer programs. I train and always keep my co-workers inform in what is the current status on projects. The hardest part of my job is communication, making sure that everyone is going in one direction. The work friendly environment is the most enjoyable part.
Benefits
Cons
commnuication
Would not do again
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Pembroke,FLJanuary 28, 2015
I wouldn't put in any stars if it was possible.You're not to think, take initiative, be a human being; you are to function,period.You get in, do your time survive hopefully w/o being written up for anything you may be aware, and get out. There was no hope of a raise, promotion, morale lifted up, respect from supervisors and/or dept. heads . Avoid if you value your humanity & self-worth & respect!
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Low self-esteem & robot body w/mind to program what to say & think-perfect Broward employee!
Nice working environment
Vector Marketing (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 19, 2016
Going to work was fun, always something new being discussed or taught. Management was good, and the working atmosphere was nice and motivating at all times. hardest part of the job was just the driving, lots of traffic in fort lauderdale during the week. Most enjoyable part of the job was simply the self motivation I had, and being able to accomplish more than i ever thought was possible.
Pros
limitless advancement opportunities
Cons
lot of driving required
A lot of work with donations
Flowing Manager / Salvation Army (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 13, 2016
A lot of donations bring us a lot of work, challenge to met goals, learned different kind of procedure to make bussiness run properly.
Pros
Oportunity to serve others
Cons
no over time
Worked to maintain the buildings of broward county in every phase.
Retired (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 30, 2013
Allways liked working for them and did my job to best of my ability.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
Sometimes Politics held us back from doing a job.
great job
I counsel clients or consumers, individually (Current Employee) –  FORT LAUDERDALEApril 28, 2014
the county is excellent to work for. steady work. short drive. great benefits.
Pros
JOB SECURITY
Cons
CLICKS
Best Workplace
Sr. Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLOctober 10, 2013
Good Place to work. Enjoyed working with County and got a very good recognition within a short time frame while i was there. Good Team work.
Pros
Benefits and healthcare
Cons
No opportunity to grow
Difficult working environment with little adequate leadership
Fourth Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLMarch 2, 2016
The working environment of this school was extremely difficult with inadequate, incompetent leadership. Student behavior was unacceptable and there was no support from the administration. Teacher morale was apparently low.
Pros
I had wonderful colleagues on my team.
Cons
The administrators of the school are incompetent.
great work
WRITER, SELF-EMPLOYED (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 6, 2012
this was an excellent opportunity to create and develop ideas and publish them through numerous sources of social media
Pros
self employed
Cons
no benefits
place for people who ready to retire
electrician (Former Employee) –  Ft.Lauderdale, Port EvergladesFebruary 3, 2012
staible small salary with ok insurance and small minded people.
Fast paced, large district with culture for growing and developing leaders.
CHIEF SERVICE QUALITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FloridaDecember 20, 2013
A career in this district has been very rewarding. I have been surrounded by high quality leaders who have mentored and provided opportunities for me to become a leader in a high performing school district. Having come up through the ranks, I have brought much experience and knowledge to the positions I have held. Working with school administrators has been the most rewarding part of my career. Supporting schools and leaders to give our children a high-quality education has been challenging but essential to provide a high quality educational experience for all students and staff. It has truly been rewarding to work in a district that empowers leaders to lead and become innovative thinkers.
Pros
Surrounded by high quality leaders and the best students ever!
Cons
Challenges in the funding model at the state level.
A place with an environmental culture
Student recycling aide (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 5, 2013
Being able to contribute towards a culture of environmentalism and sustainability was really exiting. The days in which we had to do presentations for school children about natural resource conservation, recycling and sustainability were extremely rewarding and satisfying.The hardest part of the job was to get people to understand why it is important to reduce,re-use and recycle.In a Culture used to living in affluence and having endless resources this concept of saving and reusing things that you normally throw away is hard to grasp.With the help of my co-workers and management we were able to establish a kitchen recycling program, which aimed to reduce the amount of waste coming from school kitchens.I enjoyed the fact that my efforts to maintain high levels of recycling in schools around the county were not only benefiting the environment, but the money earned from salvaging these resources was also helping to fund the education of children from my community.
Pros
good work environment, environmentality, sustainability, free breakfast
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Broward County. Our community is ready to answer.