Broward Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Courthouse and Jail Administration
Confinement Status Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ft.Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2015
My department consist of about 20 people. My position is called Confinement status specialist. Part of my job is attending Magistrate court. Magistrate court is the first hearing inmates legally attend after they have been incarcerated. I run, update, review our jail administration system. The other part of my job is in the office where we deal with In and Out of custody programs, transportation, Baker act and etc... The hardest part of my job is making sure that all the inofrmation matches between defendant and paperwork. I enjoy not working week-ends.
Productive work Environment
Detention Technician (Current Employee) –  Pompano BeachOctober 13, 2015
A typical day on the job is like any other day, dealing with inmates, lawyers, doctors and nurses. The exciting part of my day is the fact that everyday I learn something new, but most of all I have learned not to take my job home with me. Management on my job is the key word of the day because without management there would be no academic discipline, management is an organization which follows production. My co-workers falls in the category of family, they have strong work ethic, respectful, high standards of support, and always there in time of need. The hardest part of my job is during Christmas, and the most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on everyone's face on a daily basis.
Excellent employer with great benefits
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FloridaSeptember 22, 2015
If you are interested in a law enforcement career, BSO is a wonderful place to work. There is significant room for advancement, employees are professional and conduct themselves with honor and integrity, and the agency provides an outstanding retirement and benefits package (among the best in the US).
Pros
Compensation, job security, employee benefits, professionalism
Cons
Not a very creative or intellectually stimulating environment
Broward Sheriff's Office
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FlAugust 7, 2015
Communicating with clients was the most important part of my job as a Probation Officer and help them to work on the conditions of their sentences was the most satisfying part. The hardest part was seeing people violating their probation and go back in jail because their circumstances didn't allow the do what they were supposed to.
I never had any problems with the management neither with any of my coworkers. I did this job for about 20 years and I left with the satisfaction that I made the difference in many peoples lives.
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
stressfull, long days, hard to get time off.
Communications Operator III (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 24, 2015
Very structured organization with knowledgeable staff who are helpful. I would recommend anyone who has a chance to work for this organization.
Pros
Very exiciting workplace
Cons
shift work
GREAT AGENCY TO WORK FOR
DEPUTY SHERIFF / CORPORAL (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 13, 2015
EVERY DAY WAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT. LARGE LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY WITH MANY AVENUES FOR ADVANCEMENT AND ASSIGNMENTS. GOOD TRAINING OFFERED AND REQUIRED ON A REGULAR BASIS. VERY PROFESSIONAL AGENCY.
Pros
GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
BENEFITS SLOWLY BEING TAKEN AWAY...
great to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 5, 2015
it's a great company to work for with excellent pay and benefits.
Dynamic Agency
Command Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FloridaDecember 19, 2014
The Broward Sheriff's Office is the largest fully accredited public safety agency in the United States with nearly 6,000 employees. BSO provides law enforcement, fire rescue and detention services to the nearly 2 million residents of Broward County. BSO provides law enforcement services to 17 municipalities within the county.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
shift work
Interesting
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 22, 2014
Busy and challenging
I am learning new things every day
Management is fair
Co-workers are great
Hardest part of my job is not being able to make everyone happy
The most enjoyable part of my job is having the team of co-workers that I have to work with.
Great place to work and grow friendships.
Firefighter/First Responder (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2014
We worked a 24 hour shift with 9 other people on the shift. We worked, trained, socialized, cooked and became a team and family. The toughest part of the was dealing with injuries and lose of patients, victims and fellow employee's. The best part of my job was the success and rewards of personnel and team accomplishments in the line of duty. The friendship that you develop over the time of service.
Pros
it was like a family hanging out together.
Cons
round the clock service. calls at 3am were not fun.
Very Good Benefits
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 16, 2014
Loved the company culture..very professional organization. Did not see an opportunity for advancement with other positions.
benefits
Cons
work life and schedules
Assistant to Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FloridaJuly 13, 2014
The current administration has made strides in Uniting Broward County and increasing moral within an agency of over 5,500 employees. During this administration's first year in office, Crime is down by 13%. Less juveniles have been put in jail for misdemeanor mistakes and breaking the cycle of homelessness is being addressed. BSO is more than just an ordinary law enforcement office. The agency cares about each and everyone in their community, regardless of race, religion or other.

Dedication is the key. Co-workers are amazing, honest, loyal and dedicated.

This is not just a 9-5 job. Many community events attended are in the evenings or on weekends. To succeed, you will need to put your heart and soul into the position.
Excellent Law Enforcement Agency
Patrol Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLJuly 1, 2014
Excellent Law Enforcement Agency with numerous positions and room for advancement.
Pros
great benefits and take home car
Cut Throat Agency
Former Deputy (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 8, 2014
Money and benefits are important. However, your supervisors and co-workders are just as important and this agency lacks decent supervision and not enough good people! Many can't be trusted and the agency is very cut throat. Police work is very dangerous and to have supervisors / co-workers that do not have support you / back you up makes for bad work chemistry. If you choose to apply with this agency, do a ride along and see they moral of the district you are with. Let your own eyes see
Pros
money and benefits
Cons
low moral
Sheriff is a leader
Detective /Deputy (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLApril 24, 2014
I left prior to the present Sheriff. However, Since he became Sheriff, in 2013, he has brought true police work back into Broward Sheriff's Office. I wished that I had stayed and worked for Sheriff but hopefully someday I will get the opportunity to work for him.
Pros
everything is a positive
Cons
that the sheriff can be out voted at the next election
great place to work
Community Service aid (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2014
It was a great job. The best I've had in my career. I enjoyed working in the law enforcement field. I earned a lot of experience.
Pros
great schedule and benifts
Cons
no team work
It was a great experience
DETENTION AIDE (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLNovember 12, 2013
Working here was different that any job, I really learned alot. My coworkers were very helpful. I was able to take on and learn about various positions.
Job security.
MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR OF SUPPORT SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 10, 2013
I start work by reviewing our work loads for the day any city or county projects that we are conducting. Inspect tools, machinery and reports for the day. Conduct roll call each morning and hand out work assignments. Day to day is hard I just work through it. The most enjoyable part of my job is working on new ideas to improve the facilities needs working with other staff members and having a great work environment.
Pros
good benifits good vacations good pay
Cons
no cons
GREAT CO-WORKERS
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLSeptember 2, 2013
A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR. GAVE ME SUPERVISION SKILLS I CAN USE IN LIFE AND WORK.
Pros
people i work with
Rewarding and Demanding
Drug Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLAugust 14, 2013
I have loved working at the Sheriff's Office Drug Court. Being a Drug Counselor has given me the opportunity to change lives.
Pros
wonderful management / supervisors
Cons
swing shifts and distant to travel to work.

4.5