Broward Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

stale environment
Inmate Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 16, 2017
There is no advancement and they are not open to new ideas. Dysfunctional environment to say the least. It is routine and not stimulating at all. There was no poor management .
Benefits
Cons
negative culture
Best Job You'll Ever Hate
CPIS (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 15, 2017
Lazy, harassing coworkers who goldbrick all day long.

Some arrive late, then take food orders from coworkers. Leave for an hour, come back and then all work stops so they can eat.

Then they half heartedly return to duties, whilst texting and playing on their cell phones. Showing each other idiotic Utube videos and scrolling shopping websites. Then they have the nerve to go to the break room and watch TV for an hour.

BSO has a policy against this. It's called "stealing time". Supervisors are a complete joke.
They know who is working and who is not based on their BSO computer activity, yet they ignore it all.

Cases keep piling up and nobody cares.

Staff is incredibly short due to attrition and nobody cares.

Coworkers harass others. Administrator refused to allow an EEOC
Workshop which targets the harassment.

The blind leading the blind while the inmates run amuck.

Top heavy management siphoning off budget money.

Supervisors compete to throw anyone under the bus as a means to keep the "stink" off of themselves.

A disgrace and a cheat to the taxpayers of Broward County.
Pros
Steady work, no layoffs.
Cons
Harassment, ineffective supervisors. Administration is useless.
Stressful
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 14, 2017
Worked in communications. Attrition rate is extremely high. Management needs to start thinking outside of the box and think about work life balance for employees instead of heavy disciplinary actions.
Love the place
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Broward County, FLAugust 14, 2017
I loved working for the Sheriffs Office. But it just wasn't for me. The hours where abundant. People worked 8-12 hours a day. More often than not they worked 12 hours a day. The staffing is at an all time low meaning that mandatory overtime is abundant.
Busy and lots of opportunities
Detective - Money Laundering Task Force (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 10, 2017
Be prepared to work. Honesty and Loyalty are paramount. Many divisions and promotional opportunities are plenty. Two shifts on the road patrol (12 hour days, 3-4 days off) Detective Bureau is 8 hour days and 10 hours days.
Be Prepared
Communication Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 28, 2017
If you perfect and love to work and get overtime this is the job for you. No room for errors. Do not make any plans. Expect to work 12 hours a day. Even if you're right you are wrong with this company.
Pros
overtime ..possible to make twice your salary
Cons
short breaks, horrible management
Stressful Job w/ long hours
Communications Operator (Current Employee) –  Broward County, FLJuly 3, 2017
This job has a high level of stress, and does not allow for much free time. They mandate you to stay 4 hours over time on any given day, however the pay is good. This is a stable job with a pretty decent pay check if you are willing to work long hours and possibly overnight shifts.
Great place for a stable career.
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 13, 2017
A stressful atmosphere,the importance of obeying the law.Management was a failure,responsible for most of the stress.there was good and bad workplace culture.Working with non team players and incompetent supervisors.Working with professional and team oriented staff.
Data Entry of Inmate Files (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 6, 2017
Process booking information, preparing inmate files for magistrate court, answer phone calls answer family members questions travel back and forth to court, update inmate files as needed
lots paper work, hard isn't hard, just need to manage your time
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cooper City, FLJune 4, 2017
I loved where I was assigned, great coworkers, like family. I enjoyed what i did. typical day lots of proof reading reports,. prepare background searched, complete requests.
Pros
great pay, health benefit
Great Foundation and career
Child Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 12, 2017
Great place for growth and stability. Excellent benefits. Most departments are really great. Child Investigations has drastically gone down. After two majors were demoted, it might have lost the culture of fear and backstabbing. Hopefully, a civilian who is familiar with the work will do a better job of management. Sad that the sheriff allowed veteran staff to go down like the titanic but at least eventually the issues were addressed.
Benefits
Cons
Politics and ego
Critical staffing shortages, which creates mandatory overtime. Poor management.
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Communications OperatorNovember 17, 2016
I would not recommend this field to anyone. It's stressful and thankless. The hours are long, and they keep you away from your loved ones on holidays, nights and weekends.
Pros
I worked with friends and the benefits were amazing.
Cons
Mandatory overtime.
Cadet in the police academy
Cadet Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 24, 2016
we would go to class learn the basics and then train to prepare us when we got out of the academy. everyone was tough but that was to get you mentally strong and to get you ready for the real world
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 11, 2016
The Broward Sheriff's Office is a great place to work and advance. I am almost having too much fun working there. You do not have to worry about getting laid off.
Public Safety at its finest
911 Communications/Certified Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 30, 2016
I have worked with wonderful people in dispatch, the dedication to public safety and teamwork was just incredible. We spent more time together and experienced more situations then with our own families, we were a family in every aspect.
Broward Sheriff's Office
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 12, 2016
I enjoyed my career with the Sheriff's Office. Investigating child abuse someday's was very hard but yet rewarding because I was making a difference in a helpless child's life.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
long work hours not a job necessarily for a person with children with no support system
Rewarding career
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tamarac, FLMarch 1, 2016
Under general supervision, exercises responsibilities for the enforcement of state and local laws relating to public safety and welfare. Exercises independent judgment in dealing with dangerous or unusual situations, exercising safety practices and procedures. Works under stressful, high risk conditions. Reports to assigned Sergeant or Lieutenant.
Fast Paced
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 2, 2015
Great agency with great benefits. This is a fast paced job and everyday is a new day. Great team work. Long hours can be stressful. Never a boring day.
Pros
Uniforms
Courthouse and Jail Administration
Confinement Status Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ft.Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2015
My department consist of about 20 people. My position is called Confinement status specialist. Part of my job is attending Magistrate court. Magistrate court is the first hearing inmates legally attend after they have been incarcerated. I run, update, review our jail administration system. The other part of my job is in the office where we deal with In and Out of custody programs, transportation, Baker act and etc... The hardest part of my job is making sure that all the inofrmation matches between defendant and paperwork. I enjoy not working week-ends.
Productive work Environment
Detention Technician (Current Employee) –  Pompano BeachOctober 13, 2015
A typical day on the job is like any other day, dealing with inmates, lawyers, doctors and nurses. The exciting part of my day is the fact that everyday I learn something new, but most of all I have learned not to take my job home with me. Management on my job is the key word of the day because without management there would be no academic discipline, management is an organization which follows production. My co-workers falls in the category of family, they have strong work ethic, respectful, high standards of support, and always there in time of need. The hardest part of my job is during Christmas, and the most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on everyone's face on a daily basis.