Brown & Brown Insurance Employee Reviews

Executive Assistant/CSR (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJanuary 5, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Brown & Brown. My boss was phenomenal and treated me with the utmost respect which is very important to me. I was in a support role but always felt like an equal.
Revolving door
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 30, 2016
If you're just desperate for work this will do for the meantime. No orientation & no training. Very low employee moral. No wonder it's a revolving door type company. Just read the other reviews & comments before deciding to apply with this company.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Low employee moral, don't care attitude by management
horrendous workplace, terrible pay and management team
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 25, 2016
If you want to work for a multinational corporation that consistently values stockholder profits over people then Brown & Brown Seattle is the place for you! They are constantly short staffed and cannot fill positions due to their bad reputation in the industry as well as inadequate compensation plans.
Pros
none that I can think of
great
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYNovember 23, 2016
I learned a lot working here. Although I wasn't always happy, it was a great experience. The staff is okay too. The pay is not the best but I learned to manage as time went on. Just be ready to do everything perfect from the start. No mistakes
Great coworkers but low salary and excessive workload
Acct manager (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaSeptember 14, 2016
Low pay and excessive workload. Management was not in touch. Benefit package was not competitive. Only upper
Management salaried. Producers and account Mgrs had to punch a time clock. Annual reviews were not structured in a positive way. Bonuses were rare and employee turnover was high.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poor pay and bonus benefits not competitive
Backstabbing People
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 5, 2016
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. They tell you one thing and they do the complete opposite. Communication between boss and employee is nonexistent. Training is good for a couple days, but several things are left out and you have to figure them out yourself, and not make a mistake. If a mistake is made on anything you are not notified, it is given to someone else to correct. The people in the office are not friendly, they all talk about each other behind their backs. They are very stuck up and expect everyone to kiss their butts.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Poor office environment with rude coworkers
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2016
I was a temp to hire from a staffing agency. The people there were so disengaged from everyone it was insane. Everyone was glued to their chairs in their cubicles. I was let go because of not having proper licensing, even though it was disclosed to them. I was told I was disengaged because I was doing my training modules all day. Watch the movie Office Space, and that's what working in this office was like.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Staff was rude, poor training
Fun Family Environment
Marketing and Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAAugust 4, 2016
All the Co-Workers at Brown & Brown are nice people. The office is located in the quiet and pleasant town of Goleta. If you are looking for a fast paced and young environment you may want to look elsewhere. Although the job can get busy, the surrounding area and the culture of Santa Barbara itself is laid back. There is a lot of pressure to grow business! Everyone is extremely supportive and kind. As long as you work hard you will have a great time.
Pros
Great Coffee in the coffee room, spacious cubicles, frequent company sponsored staff lunches
Cons
Goleta is kind of dry
Great coworkers
Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2016
I really enjoyed the team and BB. They were very supportive and willing to teach if needed. The team was professional but the culture was very friendly and supportive and welcoming.
Pros
Cons
No Flexibility
Miserable life
Commercial Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  FLAugust 2, 2016
The only thing positive I can say about this company is their amazing company sponsored training program.

This is a very stress field business that is only made worse by micromanagement.

Brown and Brown prides is self on being a very decentralized company which means you get all of the negatives associated with a large company along with all the negatives of working for a small local company.
Pros
Training
Cons
Low pay, Horrible Technology, Slow Bureaucracy, Corporate Well Being Above All Else, Zero Community Outreach
Unprofessional Office
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 28, 2016
This office is totally profit driven, not customer service driven. Employees are not valued for the hard work they do unless you are a manager seeking your year-end bonus based on every else's hard work.

Management doesn't trust account managers to do their work. Work hours are monitored and employees feel chained to their desk. There is a management vs. employee mentality of what information is shared. If you aren't a "manager", you aren't told anything. There is no support to do your job in terms of resources. Communication is awful. No team work. Only sales people get the kudos.

Benefit plans are a joke - very minimal coverage and very expensive.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Benefits, office environment, overall general appreciation by management unless it draws a profit.
American Specialty
N/A (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 23, 2016
American Specialty is small company with less than 60 employees. The President has only ever worked for American Specialty, knows only one management style, unable to think outside the box, offended if approached with progressive ideas, and disassociates himself from anyone who decides to leave the Company.
Management are sheep and the majority are only concerned with their title. Communication of vital information is not conveyed to all staff but a select few. Management provides incorrect information and unwilling to accept they made an error. Gossip and back-stabbing is highly encouraged by management. Staff who engage is this behavior are rewarded. Absolutely no opportunity for growth, if you are looking for a career path this is not the place. Advice apply elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Benefits, management
Recently left
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 14, 2016
I was with a company over 7 years when B & B bought them out. THE WORSE OF EVERYTHING ! Management the worse! Benefits.... Should just say they're non extisting. I would have never left the previous company if they had not sold us. The very worse. Only would consider this company out of desperation!
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLMay 28, 2016
I learned something different in my career.
Working at this company was fine.
I really have nothing bad to say about this company.
Great Company
Technical Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2016
Enjoy working with my Brown & Brown family. The work\life balance is great. I work for one of the largest regions of Brown & Brown and enjoy working with my team and specially our VP of IT.
Unclear job expectations
Associate Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 21, 2016
Stressful and overloaded workload
Unclear objective or willingness to commit to specifics or clarity of job assignment
Culture overall overworked and unwillingness to develop strategic training programs for new employees. Sink or swim mentality.
Pros
Team building excursions
Cons
No realistic training objectives
Easy going place with lots of down time
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 25, 2016
I helped organize payment and process payments. Helped with receptionist duties. Temp job.I had to organize all insurance files. People there were great .
Pros
easy going job
Cons
temp job
Some nice people
Commercial Lines Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 25, 2016
Very unorganized and no training program at all. Too short staffed for the book of business they are trying to service. Management knows there are serious work flow issues but refuses to address.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management out of touch with day to day operatioins
Low Salaries; Management needs training in order to manage.
office services (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 4, 2016
Management acted more like children in their office antics. Very difficult to do your job when many of the actual managers were busy pulling pranks on their co-workers. Nasty attitudes from older employees accepted as "it's just the way they are" and gossip is so rampant that the ability to concentrate is greatly hindered.

Raises are a joke but the bosses don't mind collecting the big bucks and bonuses. Too many feel good sessions and not enough training regarding the actual work duties and changes.

Performance Evaluations are as good as the work done in the last month or so. If you did a great job for 11 months and ran into a few issues in the 12th month then the appraisal tended to be negative. Imperative to keep your own records of what was said by who and when it was said. Unfortunate to have to document everything in a work day to defend yourself against false allegations from unhappy, bitter co-workers.

Other insurance companies do much better for their employees than Brown & Brown. This place is a mess.
Pros
Liked my work
Cons
Poor Managers along with poor attitudes and poorer wages.
productive work place nothing but positivity
BoxyCharm Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLNovember 7, 2015
Great work place everyone was friendly and believed in team work, always room to grow within the company. Great overall team and management was always ready to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown & Brown Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9