Brown Brothers Harriman & Co

Brown Brothers Harriman & Co Employee Reviews

Analyst (Former Employee), New YorkMay 13, 2015
Pros: Work Life balance
Cons: Management truly require more sensitivity training
I worked among Partners and top executive who understood work/life balance. Unfortunately, management in some areas of the bank lacked sensitivity. At times, it was like being in high school all over again and gossip was all around.
a good place to balance work and life
Business Analyst/Application Support (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 13, 2015
Work started at 9am and ended on 5pm. The pace is relatively slow. A lot of employee have been in the company for a long time. But the company has a good reputation in mutual fund.
Exceptional Firm to Start a Career
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2015
Very productive and friendly culture is consistent throughout the firm. There is a lot of attention to talent development from top-to-bottom within the firm. Additionally, the management is very hands-on and effective.

Although the company does a solid job of recognizing exceptional work, the compensation and benefits provide little incentive for top performers to stick around.

Overall, I would recommend working at BBH as the people are top-class. Additionally, it is a terrific place to start a career.
Ratings
Client Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Boston, MASeptember 10, 2014
Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution that has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most discerning and sophisticated individuals and institutions with expertise in Private Banking, Investment Management, and Investor Services. We proudly execute five principles. These pillars define how we interact with our clients and our colleagues on a daily basis.
Interesting Place to Work
Systems Engineering/Consultant Intern (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great employees/environment to work in
I learned while working at Brown Brothers (BBH). Everything about the company was great and working for them was a good experience - even if it was for a summer internship.
Good Company, lacking strong management
Client Account Manager-Client Service Group (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 16, 2014
great group of people to work with, hard group of workers that really are the backbone of their business. The workers are easily the strongest resources for the company.
Solid Company
Mutual Fund Accountant (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 15, 2014
Worked in cash movements department. Record subscriptions, redemptions and flow of cash from assigned mutual funds. Learn and navigate proprietary database. Analyze data in order to make correct cash entries into the database. Ad-Hoc interest calculations and Bloomberg references.
Excellent company culture
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 4, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: difficult to move up within the company
After working for a big bank for almost 2 years , I decided to join much smaller private bank. It's been a great learning experience and it was nice to actually be feasible to upper management. A typical day for me includes responding to ad hoc requests associated with amending client parameters and working closely with Relationship management. The people I work with a great and I have learned so much from them . During our so called " busy season" it can be challenging responding to all the requests in a timely manner but my years of experience have definitely helped me learn how to prioritize and meet demands so everyone is satisfied. I enjoy coming to work and knowing once we get the business , the very first most important task is to set up these clients in the system , which is what I do.
Good work life balance
Project /Product Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 29, 2014
Pros: good work life balance, opportunity for growth
Cons: pay
Great place to work, good work life balance.
Great exposure to senior management and partners.
If you're a temp, good to pay bills for a few months. That's it.
Client Account Specialist (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJMarch 5, 2014
Pros: nice people, given unusual amount of responsibility for a temp
Cons: no perm opportunities, work harder than full-timers, no real training
I was a temp working in Client Account Profile in Jersey City. The people are nice, the training is non-existent. They are trying to get rid of the whole office and ship it to Poland. That's where you come in. There is no room for advancement as a temp, so don't believe any of that perm stuff they say. They will get rid of you without warning, so don't be a jerk, put in a few months of work, and start the search up again. Good insight into operations, good name on resume.
Lacks in employee growth
Investor Service & Markets Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 26, 2014
The daily work environment does not change much. Employees come in take care of their duties and tasks. I would say that is a easy going environment. Communication with management and other departments could be improved.
Good place
Portfolio Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: environment
Cons: old school- can be stuffy
It's an old school firm. I enjoyed the people. If you are looking for cutting edge stuff this is not the place for you.

If you are looking for a stable place, where you will be treated fairly and have a good environment to work in BBH is a good place.
Excellent
Corporate Services Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2014
Great place to work great employees. Excellent opportunities and benefits.
Not an ideal place to work
Senior Client Account Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 3, 2013
Pros: good starting point
Cons: long hours and low pay
With all due respect to all the other departments within the bank, the fund accounting department was by far one of the worst places to work. Great place to get your feet wet in re: to corporate america and the 'grind'. Good place to learn about fixed income if you want to
High turnover, unfriendly place to work
sales (Former Employee), MassachusettsNovember 1, 2013
If your looking to list a good company name on your resume then you have found the right place to work. Other than that the company has a high turnover rate with employees constantly leaving. This is a great company to use as a stepping stone and then move on.

Environment is extremely cold, uninteractive and unfriendly. Don't expect any good morning's! Or how was your weekend?! Your strictly there to work and just burn out with the lack of staff that they have. Not a happy environment to work.
too relaxed
Performance Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: cafeteria
A typical work day is 9am to 5pm which is good because most companies work 40+ hours and BBH is only 35 hours. Learn a lot about institutional accounts/mutual funds. Less commute time since they are located downtown near Wall Street.
Understaffed group with high demands and higher turnover
Lead Analyst (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COAugust 20, 2013
Cons: unpaid overtime, poor advancement opportunities, hostile management
After taking over the Operations department from Oppenheimer funds in 2010, the management at BBH made sweeping changes, almost all negative. The turnover was so high that every employee was required to cover 2 or 3 employees duties, vacation time was not approved, and employees were asked to work unpaid overtime almost daily. Compensation is below industry average, and because management is based in Boston, it is nearly impossible to advance your career with BBH without relocating.
Outsourcing all jobs, no room for advancement unless you are kissing ***
Non-officer (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJAugust 16, 2013
Pros: nice view from the office
Cons: lacking communication from management
Years ago Brown Brothers was the financial firm you wanted to be with - employees had a long history, everyone was friendly and bonuses were great. Nowadays, BBH has become like most firms, and have cut costs by cutting jobs. They are sending as much work as possible to other countries (cheap labor). We have been lucky enough to receive yearly bonuses, but that has steadily gone down over the years and raises that picked up this year after a 3 year hault, were literally pennies, if you were fortunate to receive a raise. Management is always crying poverty but their pockets don't seem affected. Typical day is 9-5, however when your boss comes in late, s/he expects you to stay late as well too. If not, you are viewed as a slacker. Co-workers are nice, however my group has the "clock watcher, tell all to mgmt" behind your back. Hardest part of the job is all the bs you put with and never receive any recognition. Most enjoyable part is that I do have a job and I support my family on my paycheck. Yes, thankful for job, but wish I were someplace else.
I will not work there again
Project Leader (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 17, 2013

Fun place to work
Senior Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 12, 2013
BBH was an awesome company to work for. The people were great.

About Brown Brothers Harriman & Co

A global leader with close to 200 years of experience, Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) helps many of the world's most sophisticated – Read more