Brown Brothers Harriman & Co Employee Reviews in United States

OK at best
Lead Corporate Actions Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2015
Your work experience is contingent upon what department you work for. The benefits are fairly decent, however, they pay is terrible. With 3 years experience you are making as much as an entry level employee at other firms for the same position. Management for the most part is fair, however, on many teams, like mine for example, are quite unorganized. It is a good place to get started, however, it takes many years to finally reap the benefits of your hard work
Pros
Cafe, lots of young people
Cons
Poor salary, heavy reliance on temps who eventually are let go
Exceptional Firm to Start a Career
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2015
Very productive and friendly culture is consistent throughout the firm. There is a lot of attention to talent development from top-to-bottom within the firm. Additionally, the management is very hands-on and effective.

Although the company does a solid job of recognizing exceptional work, the compensation and benefits provide little incentive for top performers to stick around.

Overall, I would recommend working at BBH as the people are top-class. Additionally, it is a terrific place to start a career.
Understaffed group with high demands and higher turnover
Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 20, 2013
After taking over the Operations department from Oppenheimer funds in 2010, the management at BBH made sweeping changes, almost all negative. The turnover was so high that every employee was required to cover 2 or 3 employees duties, vacation time was not approved, and employees were asked to work unpaid overtime almost daily. Compensation is below industry average, and because management is based in Boston, it is nearly impossible to advance your career with BBH without relocating.
Cons
unpaid overtime, poor advancement opportunities, hostile management
Great people and culture
Corporate Actions (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 3, 2015
Overall BBH has great employees that are passionate about their work. They are focused on career mobility and providing their clients with the best services. The company's culture made work enjoyable.
Outsourcing all jobs, no room for advancement unless you are kissing ***
Non-officer (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 16, 2013
Years ago Brown Brothers was the financial firm you wanted to be with - employees had a long history, everyone was friendly and bonuses were great. Nowadays, BBH has become like most firms, and have cut costs by cutting jobs. They are sending as much work as possible to other countries (cheap labor). We have been lucky enough to receive yearly bonuses, but that has steadily gone down over the years and raises that picked up this year after a 3 year hault, were literally pennies, if you were fortunate to receive a raise. Management is always crying poverty but their pockets don't seem affected. Typical day is 9-5, however when your boss comes in late, s/he expects you to stay late as well too. If not, you are viewed as a slacker. Co-workers are nice, however my group has the "clock watcher, tell all to mgmt" behind your back. Hardest part of the job is all the bs you put with and never receive any recognition. Most enjoyable part is that I do have a job and I support my family on my paycheck. Yes, thankful for job, but wish I were someplace else.
Pros
nice view from the office
Cons
lacking communication from management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 13, 2015
I worked among Partners and top executive who understood work/life balance. Unfortunately, management in some areas of the bank lacked sensitivity. At times, it was like being in high school all over again and gossip was all around.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
Management truly require more sensitivity training
If you're a temp, good to pay bills for a few months. That's it.
Client Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 5, 2014
I was a temp working in Client Account Profile in Jersey City. The people are nice, the training is non-existent. They are trying to get rid of the whole office and ship it to Poland. That's where you come in. There is no room for advancement as a temp, so don't believe any of that perm stuff they say. They will get rid of you without warning, so don't be a jerk, put in a few months of work, and start the search up again. Good insight into operations, good name on resume.
Pros
nice people, given unusual amount of responsibility for a temp
Cons
no perm opportunities, work harder than full-timers, no real training
Good place to work but not advance
Treasury Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  new york,NYAugust 27, 2015
This is one of the last Boys clubs. You need an Ivy league education or Rich relative to advance. Pay is good but advancement is limited
Excellent company culture
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 4, 2014
After working for a big bank for almost 2 years , I decided to join much smaller private bank. It's been a great learning experience and it was nice to actually be feasible to upper management. A typical day for me includes responding to ad hoc requests associated with amending client parameters and working closely with Relationship management. The people I work with a great and I have learned so much from them . During our so called " busy season" it can be challenging responding to all the requests in a timely manner but my years of experience have definitely helped me learn how to prioritize and meet demands so everyone is satisfied. I enjoy coming to work and knowing once we get the business , the very first most important task is to set up these clients in the system , which is what I do.
Pros
great management
Cons
difficult to move up within the company
Good work life balance
Project /Product Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2014
Great place to work, good work life balance.
Great exposure to senior management and partners.
Pros
good work life balance, opportunity for growth
Cons
pay
Interesting, never a dull moment & always a lot of work to be done.
Administrative Assistant, Enterprise Systems (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 9, 2013
A typical day at work, process requests for upper level management.

What I learned - I learned how to work independently.

Management - Mostly behind the scenes, scheduled travel, processed expenses & took care of their Dept. heads.

My co-workers - Camaraderie, supporting each other.

The hardest part of the job - Working with other offices in different time zones.

The most enjoyable part of the job - The ability for all employees to volunteer through the United Way.
Pros
flexible hours, volunteering, in house training.
Cons
lack of support from management.
Ratings
Client Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2014
Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution that has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most discerning and sophisticated individuals and institutions with expertise in Private Banking, Investment Management, and Investor Services. We proudly execute five principles. These pillars define how we interact with our clients and our colleagues on a daily basis.
tough for entry level
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2013
I have been a temp for over a year now and no hope in being made perm. Promotions only happen to Team Leaders to VP and above. Supervisors and perm employees have not seen any promotions in at least two years. Good experience but would not recommend working for them unless you have at least 8 years or more experience in the industry.
Not an ideal place to work
Senior Client Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 3, 2013
With all due respect to all the other departments within the bank, the fund accounting department was by far one of the worst places to work. Great place to get your feet wet in re: to corporate america and the 'grind'. Good place to learn about fixed income if you want to
Pros
good starting point
Cons
long hours and low pay
Lacks in employee growth
Investor Service & Markets Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 26, 2014
The daily work environment does not change much. Employees come in take care of their duties and tasks. I would say that is a easy going environment. Communication with management and other departments could be improved.
a good place to balance work and life
Business Analyst/Application Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2015
Work started at 9am and ended on 5pm. The pace is relatively slow. A lot of employee have been in the company for a long time. But the company has a good reputation in mutual fund.
Good place to work - Friendly people
Operations Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2012
Great place to start your financial services career. BBH is well respected and the people there are friendly. Jobs within Corporate Actions can get boring once you have been there for a year plus.
Productive and fulfilling company to work for
Investor Services Specialist - Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2012
Great place to learn the financial services industry with a strong culture and impressive history.
Excellent work environment.
Senior Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2012
Excellent work environment. Good opportunity for advancement.
High turnover, unfriendly place to work
sales (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 1, 2013
If your looking to list a good company name on your resume then you have found the right place to work. Other than that the company has a high turnover rate with employees constantly leaving. This is a great company to use as a stepping stone and then move on.

Environment is extremely cold, uninteractive and unfriendly. Don't expect any good morning's! Or how was your weekend?! Your strictly there to work and just burn out with the lack of staff that they have. Not a happy environment to work.

Brown Brothers Harriman & Co Reviews by Location