Brown Brothers Harriman Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere for the most part. Hard to rise up in the company due to limited number of positions.
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 8, 2017
Management was lacking because people will rise in the company/ department by just staying there long enough. It is hard to move around the company as most departments are closed off from each other. A lot of moving around is based upon networking/ knowing people rather than being good at your job - which seems backwards. The people for the most part are extremely nice and open to help. If you are a go getter and outgoing you could do well here.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Bad Management
Bbh
Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 5, 2017
Brown Brothers Harriman is a good company to start out at but there is limited room for growth and there's a good chance you'll want to move on after a few months.
Well structured corporate work environment with a young upbeat culture
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2017
- Regulated work hours
- More than adequate benefits
- Knowledgeable management despite some micro-management on day to day tasks
- Advancement is not always a possibility (there is a very visible glass ceiling)
- Young, upbeat culture with a lot of small group outings/team building activities inside and outside of the workplace
- I learned that the glass ceiling quickly approaches working in a traditional corporate structure and it's easy to get lost in doing your day to day
Pros
Very team oriented, great benefits
Cons
Not quite so easy to climb up the corporate ladder
Great Place to Start in Finance
Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2017
BBH has been a great place for me to grow and find interest areas within finance and find out what I know I do not want to do moving forward. To anyone looking for a start I would highly consider BBH.
Great Company To Work For
Audit Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2017
Great place to start your career. Fantastic environment to learn and early opportunities to advance. On top of this, the company is supportive of your career and life needs.
Pros
Fantastic Learning Environment, Great Place to Start a Career
Cons
Slow Continuous Growth and Improvement
Productive client facing role
NAV HUB Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 16, 2016
Productive client facing role. Fast paced environment with sharp deadlines. Financial skills needed and ability to work quickly and efficiently with clients.
Work Place
Project Manager, Lead Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 29, 2016
As a contractor the management is poor, hardly no diversity and promotions felt also out of reach or majority mostly minorities.

I would not recommend a minority to work there.
A fading player in the financial world
Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 27, 2016
Brown Brothers Harriman is a good place to start a career however you should not stay more than two years. The partners are reluctant to make any real investments in technology or its people. The software it uses is slow and from the 90s. Collaboration is also major issue here, groups that are supposed to work together often clash resulting in late nights and bitterness. The one upside is job security as long as your job isn't sent to Krakow or India.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Lack of culture and pedigree
Small company feel going thru it's growing pains
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 9, 2016
I spent 10 years and enjoyed working with the people there. Many became like family to me which is rare in this industry. Most management and employees have longevity there.
Great Place to Learn and Develop Skills in Financial Sector
Consultant/Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 3, 2016
BBH is a very collegial company that allows you to learn and develop a solid knowledge base from the start. There is a lot of room to grow if you are in the right areas of the bank. There is also a great work life balance.
Pros
Great people and great place to learn
Cons
Lower pay
Overall love my job just looking for new opportunities
Senior Trader (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2016
I am looking to grow and advance. I am excited for new challenges! I work in a predominantly male environment and I am looking for a job wit a bit more balance.
Great company to work for. Nice work life balance, very stable environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 25, 2016
Great company to work for. Nice work life balance, very stable environment, less stressful environment. Most of the people I worked with in the IT division, have been there for many years.
Pros
work life balance, job stability
Good people but slow to adopt change
Systems Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2016
BBH is a good place to work but is a steady state culture. Many of the staff have been there for years or decades and are not always open to new people. Outsiders and new people aren't always welcome. However it is a place where you can build relationships and progress in your career to a point.

Because it is a private company there are no stock market pressures on the firm. But there is also a tendency to keep things as they are and to not make big changes.

It is very hard to get promoted to senior levels. Since it is a partnership and senior people stay for very long periods of time once you become a VP level, there is almost no more upward mobility.

There are many antiquated processes and thinking in place and a lack of accountability in many places.
Great Experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Wonderful 20 year experience. Great professional colleagues, managers and Partners; an overall great and excellent firm to work for.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
The commute
Great working experience
Trade Management Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2016
I was working here as a co-op. Under Trade management department, I learnt the different processes within the department. Very enjoyable experience...
review
Trade Management Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2016
My goal is to learn as much as possible while building on my career. I am very driven, detail oriented and willing to take on new challenges that will help me to take my career to the next level.
Great place to start out
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 26, 2016
BBH was a great place to learn about the financial services industry. It's a great company that's very proud of its culture, but seemingly unwilling to move quick enough to keep up with other firms in the same business.
Great Systems Internship Experience!
Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 25, 2016
As an intern, a typical day at BBH involved meeting a wide variety of coworkers and individuals. and getting to know the company personally.
Pros
Calm / Easy Job Culture
Cons
Pay is slightly lower than competition.
Great and fun place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2016
This company has a lot of support from senior management regarding the tools and resources employees need in order to do their jobs. Adding headcount seems to be an everyday thing and there is less stress on each of us when we have more people
Good place to start career for college graduates
Bank Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 2, 2016
A good place to get your foot in the door, especially college graduates. Descent pay good benefit and good work/life balance.
Pros
health benefits, group activities, monthly birthday cake
Cons
career mobilization, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown Brothers Harriman. Our community is ready to answer.

Brown Brothers Harriman Reviews by Location