Brown Brothers Harriman Employee Reviews in United States

Amazing people!
Relationship Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
Great environment, learnt a lot not only about finance but also about developing myself. It was a great experience, I did many meaningful activities and collaborated with the whole team.
Systems Intern
Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2016
Excellent place for work! The management and leadership is excellent. During my time as an intern, the mentorship I received was unrivaled.
An Okay Bank, One thats good to start at but not long-term
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 17, 2016
Get to my job around 10:30 and leave around 6:30 sometimes around 7:00. Depending if I'm working in systems or the Fax Management System, I will go into either. Systems includes an overwhelming amount of work to the point of going to the bathroom is frowned upon. Fax Management System (FMS) is pretty much data entry all day long, reading faxes and inputting the information into the FMS system.

Although the overwhelming amount of work, I've learned a lot about having a strong work ethic and being resilient in times where you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Management needs to step up and listen to the employees' demands because there is WAY too much employee turnover. The turnover is really detrimental to job efficiency because so many employees are leaving, the group is almost always understaffed and those with some experience cannot learn because everyone is too busy doing their own jobs. New employees are thrown into a fire and are expected to learn pretty much on their own.

Other than the chaotic work, co-workers are pretty down to Earth and keep the work environment somewhat alright.

The hardest part of the job is being able to adapt and learn from minimal training. It is extremely difficult to multi-task and a lot is expected from you from day 1.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the work environment. Although it is pretty disorganized and chaotic, the people and culture is really relaxed.
Pros
Good work environment/people
Cons
Compensation, training
Work-life balance
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
I cannot speak for all of the departments, but working in Accounting, we all had great work-life balance and were able to set our hours based on our personal life needs. Benefits were standard for the industry and location.
Boys Club
treasury (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
This company is very sneaky, have a history of favoring a few. In recent years have gotten rid of a lot of tenured and talented people in a back handed manor.
Compensation is very good but work/life balance is not. The extra hard work does not let you advance.
Modern Building with our own Cafeteria
Relationship Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day involved lots of follow thru with different teams and clients. The best part of working at BBH is to be part of history making in the oldest partnership on Wall Street. Proved to be one of the best leaders in accomplishing all sides of Institutional Capital Markets and rise up to be part of Cayman Offshore Management.
Pros
Diverse business lines similar to stock market
Cons
Poor portfolio management system
Fun Workplace
Client Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2016
• Reduced the security valuation error rate on funds from 3% to .5%.
• Managed the daily accounting of emerging market mutual funds based in Luxembourg.
• Established and lead the calculation of daily performance fee for mutual funds.
• Coordinated and performed with auditors 8 quarterly financial reporting “temperature tests” of European tax calculations across 50+ funds.
• Liaised with third party ETF NAV providers to ensure accurate NAV reporting on appropriate funds.
fun work place
operations specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The people are very helpful,you always learning something new the work is not hard at all I have been doing this type of work for over 35 years,
Pros
team work
Cons
healthcare very high
Productive and fun workplace.
operations specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2016
The best thing you can do is take down notes especially for questions you may frequently ask. Overall everyone is kind and always willing to help.
Pros
Holiday parties
Cons
being short staffed restricts days you can take off
Really swell.
it project manager (Current Employee) –  boston, maDecember 1, 2015
I enjoy working there. A typical day at work is filled with work. I learned some stuff but not so much. Management is just ok. My co-workers are nice. The hardest part of the job is working with offshore teams. The most enjoyable part is going out to lunch.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Turnover
Nice people, opportunity for movement
Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 24, 2015
I find that BBH has a great culture. Everyone is supportive on one another and it is team oriented. However, it has the typical office feel.
Pros
great people
Cons
no diversity in work
Brown Brothers
Operations Specialist - Trade Settlements (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2015
A company that is a great resume builder, but not a place for growing. I have learned a great deal with BBH, and have experienced the world of financial banking
Productive professional workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2015
Brown Brother Harriman was a great place to work. It provided both great experience and a winning culture. I was able to excel and grow with the organization
Low compensation - No room to grow - High turnover - Poor management
Operations - Middle Office (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2015
Low compensation. BBH does not offer a competitive salary like other banks. The bonuses are discretionary and less than 10% of your salary. Many of my coworkers did not get a bonus after working long (60) hours and weekends the previous year.

There was a recent college graduate who worked there part time as a consultant for almost 2 years making $17 per hour until she was able to receive a full time offer of 40K. I also met another employee who was making 80k + 10% bonus after 16 years of employment at BBH.

If you get laid off, there is not a severance package unless you work for the firm for at least 2 years. The employer’s matching contribution to your 401k is not fully vested unless you work for the firm at least 5 years, otherwise BBH will remove the funds from your brokerage fidelity account. If you are stuck at work after 8pm, the firm won’t even buy you pizza or pay for a cab to take you home.

Long hours: 8:30 to 7pm on slow days.

No room to grow. If you want to move up, you will need to be there for many years and getting a promotion is unusual. Old employees are frustrated and hate their daily routine because they have been stuck in the same role for years. If your boss hates her/his job, it will be very difficult for you to succeed.

High turnover. During employment there, almost 24 months, I saw at least twenty people either get laid off, fired or quit voluntarily. BBH specializes in hiring temporary employees, “consultants”, at low wages and maybe one out of fifty get full-time direct employment. This way the company avoids providing other benefits,
  more... such as health and dental care, 401k, etc. I met many ex-employees who confirmed that BBH was not a good place to work. Every employee makes mistakes on a daily basis since most individuals are new and do not know what they are doing due to the high turnover and the long time that it takes to train people.

Poor management. The managers there lack managerial skills and cannot communicate effectively. Some of them did not even go to college but they have been there for many years. My manager acted like a puppy dog willing to do whatever for her boss. There is so much unnecessary politics since BBH is the oldest private bank.

Hostile conservative work environment. The managers set you up in many ways so you make mistakes and they have evidence in case they want to get rid of you later. My last six months there I was put under so much pressure because my boss needed to use an excuse to get rid of me. She would say one thing and the team leader the opposite. Do not trust anyone in management because they will stab you in the back in order to keep their job and be part of the boss gang. If you suggest an improvement using technology that your boss is not familiar with, you will be ignored because they do not like change.

Break/vacation requests often denied. In 2014, I was denied four vacation requests and ended up carrying over 10 days. Unfortunately, I could not attend important family events. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, my boss told us that no one was going to be able to take those days off including her. Once the day came, she did not show up and sent an email that she was going to be working remotely. I worked almost every holiday in 2013 and 2014. Another issue was taking regular breaks. Most coworkers ate lunch at their desks to avoid conflicts with our boss. If you wanted to go out, you were expected to be back in less than half an hour, which was impossible since you have to wait for the elevators. I sent an email to HR and complained, but never got a response.

Old technology. BBH uses trading systems from the late 70s. Imagine placing trades upwards of $1 billion in a system like Microsoft command dos. It was so easy to make errors. Unfortunately, BBH is known for having customized systems to meet their clients’ needs. This exposes you to learning weak internal manual controls and simple procedures that will not help you in your next job.

PROS:
Some good people
Location is easy for commutes
Huge desk and great view
Volunteer activities (only for those who can get time off from work)
Convenient cafeteria on the 3rd floor
Good place to learn a new industry
Access to know worldwide clients who have been around for decades
good company
Financial Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2015
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Conservative, private
Cons
Preasure to cut expenses in a period of stagnant growth
Productive environment to work in
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2015
Enjoy working in the company; I learnt and grew a lot working with my team. My co-workers were also hard working and made the job environment an easy place to work.
The hardest part of the job is getting management to understand the need for more resources because of the amount of work and also decisions being made that were not practical for the type of work being done.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Benefits being taken away
great benefits great people to work with
Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston MAJune 26, 2015
Great company to work for however I would like to move to another position. The fund accountant position requires settling accounts and sometimes becomes tedious. It is a great first job but I feel I have learned all I can at this position and would like to learn new things and to be challenged.
Pros
great benefits; great people to work with
Cons
job itself is tedious
Not the best
Operations Section Manger (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaJune 17, 2015
BBH will tell you they are the best but they are not. They will try to brain wash you but there are much better places to work.
Company from the 1800's
Summer Analyst Corporate Banking (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2015
Awful company. Totally from a different time. As if they gt caught in a time machine. Operate with tiny margins. Only partners make money. Quality of employees is laughable.
Pros
Short Hours
Cons
Too many to say
Somewhat interesting work, decent people
Operations (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 9, 2015
It's essentially a 9-5 gig. Constantly busy which is usually good because the days go by faster. Make decent connections at other custodian banks. Hiring practices are unusual and are a cause for concern.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Upward mobility is essentially non-existent.