BROWN DISTRIBUTING Employee Reviews

You learn what hard work is real quick!
Grocery Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2016
I love the Budweiser brand.... Beer distriubtion is anything but love. Its a very competitive and testing job at most positions. There are many many good people tat work here but management tends to be very cheap and stretch people a little too thin. Brown is a good place to start after college because you do have the ability to move up.
Dont trust Leadership
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
I applied for multiple different internal jobs and I was continuously told to stay in my current role. I had more experience in sales than the people they hired after me and I was told I was never "ready" for a sales job. I had multiple managers ask why I was stuck in my role and that I would have been an asset in other sales roles. Brown is a company based on who you know and suck-up to rather than your qualifications.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Long hours, Not a great chance for advancement
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 3, 2017
Management is not good. Do not train people peoperly. Place is dirty with animals running around. Management sucks especially the black guy.
Family Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2016
Good company to work for, really like the people. The company is Family owned and has a small company feel. There are allot of benefits such as event tickets and or course Beer.
It's a job.
Driver (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 16, 2015
Underpaid compared to local competitors. Training is mostly a thrown to the wolves approach. "Oh, you can drive a truck? Go deliver 800 cases of beer on a delivery route you don't really know." This results in extremely long work days. 10 hour shifts are the easy days.

Equipment is old and outdated. Still using trucks from 1990s. Pallet jacks and hand carts are either constantly broken or there aren't enough to go around. Management is 100% aware of this but didn't do anything about it. Never had the budget for it. The rumor was that bosses receive a bonus if they stay under budget, so it would come at the expense of the drivers having the proper equipment and decent trucks.

It's a shame that this is the reality considering how many hard working people walk through those doors, but that's my honest assessment. You can't continually stiff your drivers and expect to keep the good ones.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Long hours, low pay compared to competitors, management unresponsive to the needs of drivers/warehouse
Not Ideal
Route Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2016
Initial work experience was great, but as time progressed, the mindset of the company has shifted away from treating their employee's respectably to "anyone can do this job".
Pros
Paid Lunch time
Cons
Long hours, poor managment
Did you like Boot Camp training for Marines?
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 6, 2015
Early start to beat the crowded masses and heat. Maneuvering a Hand dolly, stacked to the ceiling with fragile glass alcoholic beverages, in convenience stores so small even the roaches have trouble squeezing by you. Tons of potholes, boxes, trash to trip and injure yourself. You break it, you pay for it. You do anything to upset customers, your fired. Broken equipment, broken trucks. Mechanics that really don't give a szhit. Orders are always messed up, too many of this or too less of that. No union.
Pros
Hardcore physical/mental workout
Cons
Pay, "I don't care" culture. Do anything wrong, it comes out of your paycheck.
Fast paced, low reward hard work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2012
Arive at brown around 4:30 to 5am. get papperwork in order sign out with the warehouse then leave ASAP to start your route. I did obtain my CDL while I was employeed at Brown. Management will tend to look out for themselves but co-workers were the same hard working employees with great personalities we were all in it together with or without the help of upper management. The hardest part of the job was the constant moving in rain, heat, sleet or snow. When you had help for the day the time did fly by so on days like that I did enjoy working at Brown and being able to interact with many different people and cultures.
Pros
hard working employees who help and look out for each other.
Cons
keep comments to yourself even if it would improve process
Bad management and pay sucks
Warehouse Loader (Former Employee) –  West Palm BeachJuly 31, 2015
I would never recommend anybody to work here lack of equipment and under pay its not competitive pay... You will become a Slave working here.... There's no training and the benefits suck
Pros
None I guess it's a job
Cons
Bad pay and management
This place is crazy
Selector, Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAJune 14, 2013
You go in anywhere from 2PM to 3PM and you work whenever you are done most of the time ranging from 4AM or 5AM. The pay is for the birds because you do way much more than what you get paid for. The management is ok however they do not get help from upper management making their job harder and thus making the employees job harder. If you can stand long hours, doing a bunch of jobs you don't get paid for here is your place to be. However if you enjoy your home life and working 16 hours a day is not in your family plans for $11 per hour...DO NOT GO HERE
Pros
Employees have to work together if not you would never go home
Cons
EVERYTHING
Revolving Door!!!!! I watched 12 employees quit in 6 months
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 25, 2014
I've worked in construction, retail, and many other different warehouses, but Brown Distributing is the WORST job of all. Warehouse associates work the hardest, the most hours, but get payed the least. You're on your feet, walking, lifting, bending, and stacking pallets the whole time. If you take a warehouse position, expect to work at least 13 hour shifts. We would start at 2pm, and wouldn't finish until 6:00 am sometimes... NO EXAGGERATION!!!. I've witnessed an employee have a heart attack, an employee have a stroke, and another employee have serious respiratory issues, all due to the long hard hours and harsh work conditions. The higher level management does not care at all. We have addressed this issue in every company meeting. The truck drivers have just as many complaints as the warehouse. Don't even waste time applying! This company is not worth your hard work!
Pros
You get to smell beer the whole shift lol
Cons
long hours( 2pm- 5 or 6am), hard work, little pay (commission after 90 days w/ no OT), horrible management, revolving door!
Merchandising
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 16, 2013
No pay raise without taking a promotion.
People will always buy beer
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours, more product, no pay increase
Laid back enviornment but lack of urgencey when correcting problems
Night Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 4, 2016
A day at work is pretty routine and the hours are fairly reasonable. Problems are very rarely addressed let alone fixed in any kind of timely manner. It is struggle to even get proper maintenance on the equipment. Overall an okay place to work to gain experience but always looking for something better.
Ever changing workplace, mostly in retail/grocery stores
merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Brevard County, FLNovember 16, 2015
Good company, behind in the times and management that does not do a good job of communicating to the people below them. Very good co-workers and time flies by with all the stops you have a day. Not much physical work and can become boring.
Great Place to work
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 17, 2016
Loved working for this company, it was what i was looking for in a job, I sold beer, made great relationships with customers and great friends from work.
Fast paced, Productive.
Craft Beer Delivery Rep (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 5, 2014
Ensured accurate delivery of company assets – cases and kegs of product; average of 300 cases and 50-60 kegs/day.
Ensured accurate collection of company assets that include payments, empty kegs, carts, pallets; average of 20-30 accounts/day. Effectively communicated with shift supervisor, sales associate, co-workers, and other departments on work-related issues in a timely manner; completed all paperwork and orders; maintained organized records and distributed to appropriate department.
Pros
Being involved with craft breweries, Benefits package
Cons
Heavy repetitive lifting, Some long days, Piece pay.
Value profit over employee saftey and legal requirements.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 29, 2013
Management will do what ever they can to avoid paying for things necessary.
Pros
Good exercise.
Cons
Low pay, long hours, little care for employees.
Not the best of choices for those looking for a rewarding and stable, career.
Office Personnel. (Former Employee) –  West Palm BeaachMay 6, 2015
This place is La crème de la crème, when it comes to possibly one of the worst places to work for. Starting all the way up at the top with the owner of the company, VP of People and Business (probably the most vulgar, and unprofessional person, that I had the misfortune of knowing) to the rest of upper management. There was absolutely no leadership, order or structure in this company. You could actually feel the negativity on the air. Most employees felt helpless, and impotent, by the lack of support from the upper management team.
The whole building needs to be remodel, most of the office furniture is outdated (from the 80’s) there was a huge problem with mold in the walls and ac vents, due to the roof leaking all over the place, including the server room. Many people suffered from non-stop allergies and runny noses, due to the mold problem.
Pay raises are no-existent, even if you get a great performance review.
The Health insurance left a lot to be desired. In-house promotions are not very common; they will bring people from the street, or friends/pass co-workers of the upper management team. The computer system is outdated, due to the company not wanting to spend more than needed. Drivers received refurbished handhelds and printers, which didn’t work most of the time. The warehouse was dirty; the delivery trucks were mostly, old trucks. Regular employees were given old computer, and monitors. The turnover rate while I worked there was extremely high. Especially after the Upper management team took over. Even employees in high positions, were discarded, in a ferocious
  more... way.
Overall, there’s a very small amount of good, honest people still trying to survive, while working there. And I wish them the best of luck. I personally, after having experienced the work environment at Brown Distributing; I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody looking for a stable and sane, career.
Pros
Nothing that i can think of at the moment.
Cons
Pay, Healthcare, Manegement, Old and outdated, work place.
Warehouse Associate
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2015
-Specialized in distributing Budweiser products in and out of the warehouse. Efficient in operating heavy machinery such as, a forklift, a double-wide forklift and an electrical pallet jack. Responsible for stocking warehouse product as well as loading and unloading of trucks and accountability of inventory.
-Was an integral and vital contributor to “Million Cases Month” which successfully allowed the company to distribute 1,000,000 cases which in turn led to a significant increase in sales which was maintained throughout the fiscal year.
-Cultivated and maintained superior relationships and all lines of communications with senior leaders.
Pros
wonderful staff, working environment
Cons
not being able to acccomplish as much as I would have liked
Fun Productive place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Coworkers are great to work with and they are easy to talk to. Management is is easy to talk to. The hardest part of the job is the start time, it starts too early. Can't get enough sleep to have a productive day.
Pros
Great Place to work for
Cons
Work starts to early and ends later than expected somedays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BROWN DISTRIBUTING. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5