Brown Printing Company Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable work environment
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PANovember 15, 2015
Brown Printing Company was well established with three printing plants in the USA.

I have had the opportunity to grow with this company during my 21 years. I started off on the production floor and moved my way up gaining experience in paper inventory, billing, estimating, contract systems analyst to customer account manager before the company was sold to Quad/Graphics.
Pros
Turkeys at Thanksgiving, Hams at Easter, Christmas Party's, Summer Picnics
Cons
The company was sold
Relaxed and medium speed job
Bindery Utility (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PennsylvaniaJuly 27, 2015
We would fill the pockets for the machines with paper. It was very repetitive but the people were really easy going and it made the job a lot better.
great benefits
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PAJuly 5, 2015
been a long time since I have been there but the benefits were great, had job advancement. I noticed they had changed their name. one downfall was standing for 12 hour shifts.
Pros
great benefits, job advancement
Cons
standing for long periods of time
Productive and fun workplace. Held different events throughout the year to keep morale at a igh level
Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PAMay 12, 2015
Brown Printing Company was purchased by Quad Graphics in May of 2014. Many job cuts were made to streamline the operation in adherence to Quad's business model. BPC was a very successful magazine and catalog printing company. The same work is being performed there today by Quad Graphics.
Good money.
Floor Employee (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PAApril 30, 2015
How to stand my feet for long periods of time. Management was alright. Co-workers were awesome helped me when I messed up. The pay was the best part.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Standing for hours
like my job, working with numbers daily
Estimator (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PAFebruary 23, 2015
Creating price schedules to create a printing quote for sales
Busy creating several quotes a day or additional pricing if needed
I learned a lot about how the equipment worked and what could be produced at the plant I worked at and the other plants
Coworkers were team players
The hardest part of the job was inputting the spec on both cost side and quote side
The most enjoyable part of the job was when a quote sold and your work paid off
Pros
good people to work with
A Great Start Up Position for a Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Meridian, MSFebruary 7, 2015
This is a small, family-owned print shop and a new graphic designer will learn so much from being here. They aren't a big company so they can't afford to pay much, but the experience is worth it. The coworkers are more like family than coworkers, they can be so nice and funny - it never seems to get boring. The hardest part was getting used to the graphic designer in charge at the prepress graphics department. She can be pretty moody and snappy sometimes, but as long as you stay respectful and are responsible she won't be too mean... She just has her moments. I am looking forward to moving on and getting a better paycheck, but I will miss the people and flexibility that I had here. Overall it is good for a new designer who needs to learn about the printing process.
Pros
long lunch break, fun coworkers, great experience, flexibility
Cons
not much money
Lots of mandatory overtime
Material Handler/Mail Control Sorter (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNJanuary 15, 2015
12 hour shifts, busy all day. filling pockets, back up QA, Mail Control Sorter.
Brown was a great Company to work for.
Vice President of Sales (Former Employee) –  Sales Office in Burnsville, MNDecember 16, 2014
Brown was big enough to have all the state of the equipment to serve the largest magazine publishers and catalogers in the US, yet small enough to provide individualized world class service to them.

Flat organization with complete transparency. Brown did an outstanding job of personnel development and promoted from within when possible.

The most enjoyable part of my job was providing creative solutions for our customers and and seeing how my employees developed and their careers bloomed.

Unfortunately, as the demand for print continued to shrink, Brown's owners were forced to sell to a larger printing company (Quad Graphics).
Pros
loved going to work there for 30 years.
Cons
not large enough to compete in shrinking market resulting in it's sale to a larger company.
Company was good to me until they were bought out and my job was eliminated.
Pressroom Trainer (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PASeptember 6, 2014
Brown Printing was a good place to work most of the time. Had long hours with intense production mode. Always under the gun to meet customers deadlines. Swing shifts were a challenge at times. Hardest thing was dealing with too many people giving conflicting directions allot of the days.
Pros
decent benifits, with good wages.
Cons
long day with breaks being hard to get at times.
Fast paced, variety of jobs to do
Billing/Contract Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILAugust 16, 2014
I have enjoyed my 18 years at Brown Printing. There weren't many days when there wasn't anything to do and for me that was a good thing. There was always a variety of things to do during the day and plenty of opportunities to learn new things.
Pros
good benefits, excellent salary
Very good place to work with stable workforce.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILJuly 21, 2014
fast paced workplace, having to meet critical deadlines. Very good people to work along with, good communication within every department. The most enjoyable part of the job is the consistant interaction between employees and management.
independent growth opportunities
Human Resource Generalist-Corporate (Current Employee) –  Waseca, MNJuly 20, 2014
At Brown Printing I was allowed to manage multiple projects and manage multiple departments for their HR needs. A major accomplishment was getting the Company into compliance for EEO/OFCCP.
3rd Largest commercial magazine catalog printer in the US.
Logistics Process Specialist/Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, IllinoisJuly 16, 2014
Brown Printing was the 3rd largest publication and 5th largest catalog printer in the U.S. Specializes in printing, binding, and fulfillment services. Divison of Gruner + Jarh, Germany. Annual sales of $400 million dollars. 2,100 employees. 3 manufacturing locations in US.
Salary
Management.
Fast paced.
Teamwork at its best
Pressroom Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNJune 26, 2014
You never knew what you where going into, every day was different.
I would typically through a shift do color passes with or without clients present, do payroll, deal with any production issues like press problems in producing the desired result because of the layout. Work with a very good group of support works to resolve any issues that we had.
Attend normally two production/scheduling meetings through the shift so as to keep all departments in touch with what was happening in the pressroom.
Pros
good team support
Cons
materials, like paper letting us down.
More than a company, cared about workers
Advanced Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Waseca, MNApril 28, 2014
Overall a great company, but did not move forward fast enough with the times.
Factory Work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  East Greenville, PAApril 20, 2014
Once on the machine that I was assigned to, I ended up doing the same job the whole shift. I learned a lot about teamwork, reaching a quota efficiently, and I grew in knowledge towards machinery and electronics. The hardest part of the job was the repetitiveness. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end looking over our statistics of the shift was.
Pros
the learning of hardware and machinery.
Cons
the repetitiveness.
Solid place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILMarch 27, 2014
Brown is a good company. Seems as if they are setting themselves up to survive any outcome in the future.
Great co-workers
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNOctober 16, 2013
Great co-workers, printing industry is in a survival mode.