Brown University Employee Reviews

Visiting Lecutrer (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 12, 2015
In the Intermediate Chinese classes that I taught when I first arrived at Brown, I was just beginning to learn how to conduct a class and often referenced my colleagues’ teaching styles and materials. Now in my second year and teaching Advanced Chinese, I have been drafting handouts from scratch, including writing exam questions, exercises, reading materials, and discussion materials. I also came up with the design of new classroom activities and oral exams, such as the addition of movie commentary, news reports, and debates, which were all well received by students. Furthermore, by being proactive and working collaboratively with my colleagues, we can share great ideas and improve collectively as a group.

I treasure the feedback and response from students very much. By observing my students’ feedback, I learned that while it is important to properly prepare for each and every single class, my actual presentation delivery and attitude are just as important, if not more. I learned that with more passionate vibe, genuineness and patience, students tend to concentrate better and be more willing to express their thoughts and participate in class.

Apart from teaching responsibility, I also have experience in organizing Chinese related activities and events, such as Chinese Tea Time, Chinese Table, Dumpling Party, and Talent Shows. I believe that interesting and meaningful extracurricular activities can raise their awareness in understanding Chinese language and culture. Meanwhile, these experiences also taught me how to organize and plan events, work with colleagues and how to
  more... interact with students under a productive, enjoyable and fun atmosphere.  less
Intolerable
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ProvidenceJanuary 21, 2013
I believe my experience to be atypical, after reading the other reviews. The problem was the management of my particular department. Each one of them would throw you under the bus, if they felt it would benefit them. My particular supervisor would rearrange my office when I was on vacation. While attending my Grandmother's funeral, once again every file in my office was moved The supervisor even logged into my computer in order to place my emails into categories. As you can imagine, upon my return it always took me 2 full days to find anything. It should be noted I am not a disorganized person, and my office did not need to be organized. Due to the management and my co-workers, who walked on eggshells at all times, it was a horrific place to work. I eventually had to see a psychiatrist and be prescribed a relatively high dose of a benzodiazepine just to go to work. Why didn't I go to HR? I did and I found out so did many others before me. They were of no help whatsoever. I eventually found another position, and left Brown. Overall I believe Brown is a great place to work, then there are those offices that will literally send you to seek professional help.
Pros
beautiful campus. some of the best and the brightest minds are within walking distance.
Cons
parking, the unhealthy envy i had that the 18 year old students cars cost 30-50k more than mine.

Comment – June 15, 2013

My experience over the last two years has been awful and I have found myself dealing with anxiety and stress levels un-natural - I am desperately trying to leave. This is very difficult in this economy and by the fact that Brown is connected to so many organizations in the state. I too went to HR only to learn they are best friends with my director.

Excellent
Development Associate & Financial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 12, 2014
• As Financial Coordinator I process all incoming travel expenses in Workday for the Regional Advancement team accurately in a timely manner.
• Detail-oriented and have an ability to handle and complete multiple projects concurrently.
• Disciplined and well organized in work habit, with ability to function smoothly in pressure situations.
• I always try to keep a positive attitude, a smile on my face, and demonstrate how much I enjoy my job.
• I constantly search for new ideas and ways to improve efficiency.
• I have the ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines and I’m always willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• Manages and prioritizes time and resources in order to successfully complete projects on time.
• Maintaining supervisor calendar, schedule meetings, and help maintaining prospect relationships.
• Accepts, and/or takes initiative for new responsibilities, assignments and/or projects and initiates and takes action for improvements.
• Responds confidently to the demands of work when confronted with change, adversity or other challenges (adapts well to change in the work environment).
• Demonstrates depth of knowledge in performing the job.
• I take great pride in my work, demonstrate depth of knowledge in performing the job and as a result produce high quality results in work assignments.
• Acts as back-up to other office personnel as required.

• Coordinated orientation program for new associates, including scheduling training, introductory meetings, and providing ongoing training and support to new employees as needed.
• Assist
  more... with small event planning, reach out, maintaining RSVP’s, EBN’s

I met and worked with people from all over the world!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 18, 2014
My day was always interesting and full. From copying and mail duties to billing for jobs performed, ordering supplies and dealing with our vendors.
During the past two years a new system of payroll and financial reporting was begun at the University. It is called Workday and this is one of the most recent things I had been learning.
Our management was always accessible and willing to listen. They are professional and creative people.
My immediate co-workers were great, very supportive of each other and willing to lend a hand when needed. I'll miss them.
The hardest part of my job was the drive to and from on Rt 95 at rush hour.
I love to meet people so a university had been a great place for me. Every day was different, weather it was the beginning of the school year and everyone needs help finding their classrooms, Open House with parents visiting or international Conferences and all can use guidance. I loved being able to help.
Pros
lots of free food events and access to the athletic center
Cons
the drive on rt 95
Productive, meaningful, and fully supportive workplace.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of arriving to the hospital and, depending on if I was beginning the day or ending the day, I would communicate with co-workers regarding ER patients who were screened. I would utilize the ER software to update the screening instrument with the ER population and then check-in with nurses and doctors to screen patients. If patients were eligible for the study, I would go through the recruitment procedure including informed consent and emergency contacts, administer the baseline, and utilize a computer program to determine intervention. Then administer the intervention and offer free HIV testing, counseling, and community referrals. The hardest part of the job was when the ER had a bad day and was busy with severe crises. Often times the stress would be evident with some hospital staff. It was difficulty seeing everyone in stress. The most enjoyable part of the job were the interventions and seeing participants shift their thinking regarding their risk behaviors. My co-workers were fun and enjoyable, dedicated to their job, and friendly.
Continuous Job Postings denying qualified applicants
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  BrownApril 18, 2013
I have sent numerous resumes with ALL the necessary requirements for an administrative assistant position. That IS my background. I continue to receive emails not progressing to the next step. What is this high school? It's an Admin/Secretary/office position...NOT rocket science! And being that I'm a former employer having worked there in the 80's you would think they would take that into consideration. It's a shame they can't recognize people who have ambitions and a great work ethic. Just because one has been unemployed doesn't mean they're not willing to get back into the work force. It's 2013. Time to open your mind.

I'm officially done with Brown. Don't waste your time. There should be a ZERO button.
Cons
waste of time
excellent place to work
Analyst/ Programmer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work is usually productive and pleasant. There are many opportunities to learn new things at Brown University such as sitting in a class that is helpful to my job. Management is excellent and people are just happy and pleasant. The hardest part of the job is sometimes we might have very tight deadlines, but could be usually accomplished with some extra work during the weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is both my co-workers and my boss were excellent people to work with.
Pros
many good benefits such as free gym and long vocation time, sick days.
Cons
none.
Great for hard-working thinkers and teachers
Continuing Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 5, 2015
Brown is trying hard to be like Princeton but there is some ways to go. Lots of innovation. Lots of upper management turnover (Provost, Dean, etc) Lots of construction on campus. Watch out! Change occurs often for reasons that are not often well-articulated. Forced merger of public policy and international affairs departments look like a shotgun wedding. Lots of pressure to fund raise.
Pros
Great stimulating intellectual atmosphere.
Cons
Racing to the newest fad and little/no follow through
Caring Company
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at Brown is cleaning and maintaining all types of buildings from sports and swim centers to dorm rooms and common areas.
I learned a lot and still do at Brown. I learnt how to strive for more and to be an honest respect full productive employer.
They care about there employers and there families.

people that work in facilities connected to Brown are also friendly and welcoming, it is a nice company.
Pros
Great School to work for, amazing benifits
A wide diversity of responsibilty and enjoyment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence,RIJune 6, 2012
Enter forms, creating folders, training workers,pulling folders,doing hours for payroll and working with over 90 people at one time.
How to work in a fast pace enviroment and working with different office equipment and shipping company's.
My supervisior was one of the best there is.
Excellent co-workers always willing to pitch in when needed.
Training 90 people at one time while giving individual attention to each person.
Was working with great people
Pros
working in a fast pace enviroment
Cons
not having enough hours in a day

Want to know more about Brown University?

Ask a question
__
Sports Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 10, 2015
 Render proactive and strategic assistance to the sports marketing manager in organizing and facilitating special events. Leverage outstanding marketing aptitude in successfully overseeing the entire event management aspects, including the following initiatives:
 Proficient reconciliation of funds for sales
 Management and support of game day promotional sales and events for men’s basketball and hockey
 Expert utilization of ClickEffects to operate the music for the women’s hockey/basketball games; and coordination of school bands with the DJ and related personnel
 Preparation of the youth hockey as well as the ‘three stars of the game’ activity
A great place to work!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 24, 2013
Coming from a corporate atmosphere, I think I may have died and gone to heaven! The people are friendly, helpful, and professional. There is no micromanagement. You are responsible for getting your work done, but no one will stand over you with a microscope every step of the way. The workload is fair, not overwhelming. If you are able to manage your time effectively, and keep yourself on track, this is a great place to work!
Great lab experience
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 30, 2012
I worked in two different labs at Brown University, and it was amazing to see how willing everyone was to try to include you in their research and give you a taste of what your future career path might hold. The work I did included everything from preparing sediment samples to running models and working in GIS. My favorite part of the job was working with GIS.
Great people that cares.
Computer Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 16, 2013
My days would be updating computers and setting up new computers around the office.

I learn how to communicate with others more which made me very comfortable with management.

My colleagues were very welcoming and friendly to me. They truly made me felt like home.

The most enjoyable part was satisfying my colleagues which made them feel very good.
Pros
able to network with colleagues.
Cons
short lunch break.
Great work environment with very kind people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 14, 2013
I assisted in the overall repair of the center’s computers, helped with organizing and completing the current work orders, answering and trouble shooting technical calls from within Brown University. I also
configured mobile devices such as Iphone, Ipad, Android and Blackberry as well as configured VPN and software installation on laptops for Brown personnel.
Overall rating is poor place to work
Manager, Facilities and Operations (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 25, 2015
The employees are over-worked and underpaid. Over the past few years Brown has eliminated positions with the expectation that staff will take on additional job responsibilities with no increase in salary.
Pros
Lots of time-off with vacation, winterbreak and sick time.
Cons
Employees are taken advantage of.
Family oriented workplace
Accounting Manager, Sponsored Projects (Current Employee) –  ProvidenceNovember 30, 2014
Working environment promotes life/work balance. This is key especially when caring for young kids or older parents.

Culture highly promotes team spirit. Professional development is widely supported and encouraged. The spirit of excellence is at the core of all activities or services provided by the university.
Great university.
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 7, 2015
I loved teaching my students, loved learning from world-class philosophers.

I learned more about the present-day culture in philosophy than I'd known before [when my work was largely in history of philosophy].
Pros
World-class teachers, very helpful, interested in their students' intellectual development.
Cons
None that I can think of.
great benefits, nice working environment
Research Administration (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 30, 2012
Brown is a great environment to learn, work, and advance your career. Much is expected; but with great reward for a job well done. Very high standards of professionalism and accountability. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work in such a highly regarded institution..
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking!
Pay is not great, but benefits are good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 17, 2013
The take-home pay for office work isn't very good compared to other office jobs I've had, but the health benefits and retirement fund matching are generous. Work-life balance is generally good in the hourly position I have.
benefits
Cons
not much room for advancement, rate of pay

4.5