Brown University

Brown University Employer Reviews

Excellent place to work
Business and Finance Manager (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 27, 2014
Strong accounting and financial work required, diverse group of people made it fun along with very interesting workday. Worked independently and was very successful in managing workload as well as supervising staff and keeping budgets in line.
Received high quality training.
Research Associate, NIH funded (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 26, 2014
Excellent place to work. Supervisors and coworkers very supportive. Learned multiple advance skills.
Great for students, fun and challenging
Teaching Assistant-Foundations of Living Systems (Current Employee), Providence, RIMarch 12, 2014
Weekly team meetings to review material, and weekly lab session to instruct students in the course on techniques and application.

Collaborative environment is really enjoyable and allows for more intellectual engagement.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 9, 2014
Productive, friendly and fun workplace.. I like it working at esteem lab with distinguished Professors and colleagues !
excellent place to work
Analyst/ Programmer (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: many good benefits such as free gym and long vocation time, sick days.
Cons: none.
A typical day at work is usually productive and pleasant. There are many opportunities to learn new things at Brown University such as sitting in a class that is helpful to my job. Management is excellent and people are just happy and pleasant. The hardest part of the job is sometimes we might have very tight deadlines, but could be usually accomplished – more... with some extra work during the weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is both my co-workers and my boss were excellent people to work with. – less
Great environment to work in
Alumni Relations Intern (Current Employee), Providence, RIDecember 12, 2013
Brown is a great place for anyone who is always willing to learn.
A great place to work!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 24, 2013
Coming from a corporate atmosphere, I think I may have died and gone to heaven! The people are friendly, helpful, and professional. There is no micromanagement. You are responsible for getting your work done, but no one will stand over you with a microscope every step of the way. The workload is fair, not overwhelming. If you are able to manage your – more... time effectively, and keep yourself on track, this is a great place to work! – less
Great people that cares.
Computer Technician Intern (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 16, 2013
Pros: able to network with colleagues.
Cons: short lunch break.
My days would be updating computers and setting up new computers around the office.

I learn how to communicate with others more which made me very comfortable with management.

My colleagues were very welcoming and friendly to me. They truly made me felt like home.

The most enjoyable part was satisfying my colleagues which made them feel very good.
Productive workplace with great teamwork.
Senior Research Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIJuly 16, 2013
Pros: great, affordable healthcare
Cons: lack of parking
Very little is repetitive in my workplace; every day changes and evolves from what we learned the previous day. The lab functions as a team and we're all eager to move forward in our research.
Challenging
Research Intern, Research Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIJune 12, 2013
Very competitive research university. Allowed students to excel in various fields of study.
Great place for postdoctoral research
Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Providence, RIMay 31, 2013
Excellent environment to continue postdoctoral research.
Continuous Job Postings denying qualified applicants
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), BrownApril 18, 2013
Cons: waste of time
I have sent numerous resumes with ALL the necessary requirements for an administrative assistant position. That IS my background. I continue to receive emails not progressing to the next step. What is this high school? It's an Admin/Secretary/office position...NOT rocket science! And being that I'm a former employer having worked there in the 80's you – more... would think they would take that into consideration. It's a shame they can't recognize people who have ambitions and a great work ethic. Just because one has been unemployed doesn't mean they're not willing to get back into the work force. It's 2013. Time to open your mind.

I'm officially done with Brown. Don't waste your time. There should be a ZERO button. – less
Great professional workplace
Assessment Coordinator (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 19, 2013
Great place to work for anyone looking to advance their education. Excellent benefits, very flexible environment for those with a family.
I am a student pursuing masters at brown university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIMarch 17, 2013
Pros: i enjoy the frequent cups of hot cofee
My day starts at 900hrs..I go to college and attend classes and meet my professors for guidance on my various research activities.my coworkers are very helpful.
The greatest place to work!
Economics Department Secretary (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 19, 2013
Greatest placed to work! I would love to work for them again.
A lot smaller compare to Washington University in St. Louis
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee), providence, RIFebruary 19, 2013
Always surrounded by talented students and great professors. Close to Boston and have potential to expand.
Pay is not great, but benefits are good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: not much room for advancement, rate of pay
The take-home pay for office work isn't very good compared to other office jobs I've had, but the health benefits and retirement fund matching are generous. Work-life balance is generally good in the hourly position I have.
Productive, Enjoyable
Bilingual Interviewer (Current Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 13, 2013
Make calls at all moments, shredding, filling. Enviroment is great, co-workers are fun.
Challenging work environment with great people
Advancement Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: good experience
Assisted development department with various tasks, filing, computer entry. Clerical work and organizing files.
Intolerable
Coordinator (Former Employee), ProvidenceJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: beautiful campus. some of the best and the brightest minds are within walking distance.
Cons: parking, the unhealthy envy i had that the 18 year old students cars cost 30-50k more than mine.
I believe my experience to be atypical, after reading the other reviews. The problem was the management of my particular department. Each one of them would throw you under the bus, if they felt it would benefit them. My particular supervisor would rearrange my office when I was on vacation. While attending my Grandmother's funeral, once again every – more... file in my office was moved The supervisor even logged into my computer in order to place my emails into categories. As you can imagine, upon my return it always took me 2 full days to find anything. It should be noted I am not a disorganized person, and my office did not need to be organized. Due to the management and my co-workers, who walked on eggshells at all times, it was a horrific place to work. I eventually had to see a psychiatrist and be prescribed a relatively high dose of a benzodiazepine just to go to work. Why didn't I go to HR? I did and I found out so did many others before me. They were of no help whatsoever. I eventually found another position, and left Brown. Overall I believe Brown is a great place to work, then there are those offices that will literally send you to seek professional help. – less

Anonymous65 – June 15, 2013

My experience over the last two years has been awful and I have found myself dealing with anxiety and stress levels un-natural - I am desperately trying to leave. This is very difficult in this economy and by the fact that Brown is connected to so many organizations in the state. I too went to HR only to learn they are best friends with my director.

About Brown University

Ivy isn't always green -- particularly when it's Brown. Founded in 1764, Brown University is both an Ivy League college and one – Read more