Brown University

Brown University United States Employee Reviews

Great place to work & learn
Research Assistant 2 - Biology and Medicine (Current Employee), Providence, RIApril 2, 2015
Awesome place to work grow and learn. Great benefits, people, culture and environment is second to none. Have grown in many ways as a result of working in this environment
Loved it.
Clerical Support (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 9, 2015
Pros: my boss, co-workers, students
Cons: pay rate did not support my household
It was a small working office on campus. After a strenuous work schedule from my previous job it was a welcoming experience.
Visiting Lecutrer (Current Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 12, 2015
In the Intermediate Chinese classes that I taught when I first arrived at Brown, I was just beginning to learn how to conduct a class and often referenced my colleagues’ teaching styles and materials. Now in my second year and teaching Advanced Chinese, I have been drafting handouts from scratch, including writing exam questions, exercises, reading materials, and discussion materials. I also came up with the design of new classroom activities and oral exams, such as the addition of movie commentary, news reports, and debates, which were all well received by students. Furthermore, by being proactive and working collaboratively with my colleagues, we can share great ideas and improve collectively as a group.

I treasure the feedback and response from students very much. By observing my students’ feedback, I learned that while it is important to properly prepare for each and every single class, my actual presentation delivery and attitude are just as important, if not more. I learned that with more passionate vibe, genuineness and patience, students tend to concentrate better and be more willing to express their thoughts and participate in class.

Apart from teaching responsibility, I also have experience in organizing Chinese related activities and events, such as Chinese Tea Time, Chinese Table, Dumpling Party, and Talent Shows. I believe that interesting and meaningful extracurricular activities can raise their awareness in understanding Chinese language and culture. Meanwhile, these experiences also taught me how to organize and plan events, work with colleagues and how to interact with students under a productive, enjoyable and fun atmosphere.
Great Organization to work for
logistics (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2015
great place to work, lots of friendly people. good benefits, pay is okay
Family oriented workplace
Accounting Manager, Sponsored Projects (Current Employee), ProvidenceNovember 30, 2014
Working environment promotes life/work balance. This is key especially when caring for young kids or older parents.

Culture highly promotes team spirit. Professional development is widely supported and encouraged. The spirit of excellence is at the core of all activities or services provided by the university.
Excellent
Development Associate & Financial Coordinator (Current Employee), Providence, RINovember 12, 2014
• As Financial Coordinator I process all incoming travel expenses in Workday for the Regional Advancement team accurately in a timely manner.
• Detail-oriented and have an ability to handle and complete multiple projects concurrently.
• Disciplined and well organized in work habit, with ability to function smoothly in pressure situations.
• I always try to keep a positive attitude, a smile on my face, and demonstrate how much I enjoy my job.
• I constantly search for new ideas and ways to improve efficiency.
• I have the ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines and I’m always willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• Manages and prioritizes time and resources in order to successfully complete projects on time.
• Maintaining supervisor calendar, schedule meetings, and help maintaining prospect relationships.
• Accepts, and/or takes initiative for new responsibilities, assignments and/or projects and initiates and takes action for improvements.
• Responds confidently to the demands of work when confronted with change, adversity or other challenges (adapts well to change in the work environment).
• Demonstrates depth of knowledge in performing the job.
• I take great pride in my work, demonstrate depth of knowledge in performing the job and as a result produce high quality results in work assignments.
• Acts as back-up to other office personnel as required.

• Coordinated orientation program for new associates, including scheduling training, introductory meetings, and providing ongoing training and support to new employees as needed.
• Assist with small event planning, reach out, maintaining RSVP’s, EBN’s

A great place to work
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee), Providence, RISeptember 17, 2014
Pros: a great work environment
I truly enjoyed my time at Brown University. The culture and the people are what make the school so great!
Challenging and Exciting Workplace that Focuses on Individual Development
Trinity Rep, MFA Acting Program (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 15, 2014
Guest Lecturer to Second and Third-Year MFA Candidates
Devised Workshop on Professional Development for the Actor
Great teaching hospital
Visiting Medical Student (Former Employee), Rhode IslandAugust 25, 2014
Great teaching hospital and really focus on meeting the needs for students.
I met and worked with people from all over the world!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 18, 2014
Pros: lots of free food events and access to the athletic center
Cons: the drive on rt 95
My day was always interesting and full. From copying and mail duties to billing for jobs performed, ordering supplies and dealing with our vendors.
During the past two years a new system of payroll and financial reporting was begun at the University. It is called Workday and this is one of the most recent things I had been learning.
Our management was always accessible and willing to listen. They are professional and creative people.
My immediate co-workers were great, very supportive of each other and willing to lend a hand when needed. I'll miss them.
The hardest part of my job was the drive to and from on Rt 95 at rush hour.
I love to meet people so a university had been a great place for me. Every day was different, weather it was the beginning of the school year and everyone needs help finding their classrooms, Open House with parents visiting or international Conferences and all can use guidance. I loved being able to help.
It was what I liked.
Instructor, East Providence Senior Center (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 14, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I do not want to leave any preview. I was pleased at that time, and now barely remember anything.
Excellent higher education program
Ph.D. Candidate of Biostatistics (Former Employee), Department of BiostatisticsApril 17, 2014
Strong and intensive training in theoretical&analytically fields;
Provided abundant opportunities for students to work on variety of projects, and to collaborate with researchers outside of Brown U.
Excellent place to work
Business and Finance Manager (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 27, 2014
Strong accounting and financial work required, diverse group of people made it fun along with very interesting workday. Worked independently and was very successful in managing workload as well as supervising staff and keeping budgets in line.
Received high quality training.
Research Associate, NIH funded (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 26, 2014
Excellent place to work. Supervisors and coworkers very supportive. Learned multiple advance skills.
Great for students, fun and challenging
Teaching Assistant-Foundations of Living Systems (Current Employee), Providence, RIMarch 12, 2014
Weekly team meetings to review material, and weekly lab session to instruct students in the course on techniques and application.

Collaborative environment is really enjoyable and allows for more intellectual engagement.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 9, 2014
Productive, friendly and fun workplace.. I like it working at esteem lab with distinguished Professors and colleagues !
excellent place to work
Analyst/ Programmer (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: many good benefits such as free gym and long vocation time, sick days.
Cons: none.
A typical day at work is usually productive and pleasant. There are many opportunities to learn new things at Brown University such as sitting in a class that is helpful to my job. Management is excellent and people are just happy and pleasant. The hardest part of the job is sometimes we might have very tight deadlines, but could be usually accomplished with some extra work during the weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is both my co-workers and my boss were excellent people to work with.
Great environment to work in
Alumni Relations Intern (Current Employee), Providence, RIDecember 12, 2013
Brown is a great place for anyone who is always willing to learn.
A great place to work!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 24, 2013
Coming from a corporate atmosphere, I think I may have died and gone to heaven! The people are friendly, helpful, and professional. There is no micromanagement. You are responsible for getting your work done, but no one will stand over you with a microscope every step of the way. The workload is fair, not overwhelming. If you are able to manage your time effectively, and keep yourself on track, this is a great place to work!
Great people that cares.
Computer Technician Intern (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 16, 2013
Pros: able to network with colleagues.
Cons: short lunch break.
My days would be updating computers and setting up new computers around the office.

I learn how to communicate with others more which made me very comfortable with management.

My colleagues were very welcoming and friendly to me. They truly made me felt like home.

The most enjoyable part was satisfying my colleagues which made them feel very good.

1 2 3

About Brown University

Ivy isn't always green -- particularly when it's Brown. Founded in 1764, Brown University is both an Ivy League college and one – Read more

Brown University Salaries