Brown University Employee Reviews

Great place! Fun environment!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 7, 2017
I learned so much working at Brown! Great culture and great people to work with. Current on all technology. Flexible and a family environment. Overall everyone is nice and the benefits are great!
Pros
Family oriented with great benefits
Cons
Salary is low
Brown is a great place to work
Program Manager, Bio Med Core Facilities (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 31, 2017
Brown is very supportive of staff. Brown has many programs and benefits for staff members in all departments and many resources to aid in career advancement.
Productive days
Technician (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 26, 2016
A typical day consists of viewing the work order, setting up supplies, and getting the assignments done in effective and efficient matter. This allows room for planning the work order for the next day, and addressing any issues.
Pros
Long lunch breaks, benefits, close to home
Cons
Long hours, standing for long periods of time, repetitive motions
Exceptional Benefits
Grant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  121 South Main StreetAugust 10, 2016
Brown is a great place to work as it provides exceptional benefits, room for growth and advancement, and a nice community of workers. The pay isn't terrific but your salary is compensated by PTO days, great health care, and University time off.
Pros
Benefits, Time off, Staff
Cons
No work life balance or belief in telecommuting
Overall good experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 13, 2016
Great place to work. Family friendly in general, nice work culture. Still a few inequalities to sort out when it comes to postdoctoral benefits (when you have an individual fellowship, like from the NIH or NSF) but this is a national issue and Brown seems to be at the forefront in wanting to solve the disparities.
See previous review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 11, 2016
See previous review
Great Benefits
Learned how to use an Apple and PC computers
Great work environment
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Parking
Very busy atmosphere, heavy workload, requires patience, confidentiality and effective time management. Communicate with faculty and students.
Sr. Graduate Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 5, 2016
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Parking is challenging.
Good job, always busy during the school year
Retail Culinary Manager (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 23, 2017
Serve the Brown student population at a Retail foodservice dining hall, from 6:oopm to 2:00am. Very busy popular site that does exhibition stations, grill line and chop salad station along with fresh baked items and grab & go.
Pros
Benefits, retirement, slow summer
Cons
Hours
Caring Company
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at Brown is cleaning and maintaining all types of buildings from sports and swim centers to dorm rooms and common areas.
I learned a lot and still do at Brown. I learnt how to strive for more and to be an honest respect full productive employer.
They care about there employers and there families.

people that work in facilities connected to Brown are also friendly and welcoming, it is a nice company.
Pros
Great School to work for, amazing benifits
Great for hard-working thinkers and teachers
Continuing Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 5, 2015
Brown is trying hard to be like Princeton but there is some ways to go. Lots of innovation. Lots of upper management turnover (Provost, Dean, etc) Lots of construction on campus. Watch out! Change occurs often for reasons that are not often well-articulated. Forced merger of public policy and international affairs departments look like a shotgun wedding. Lots of pressure to fund raise.
Pros
Great stimulating intellectual atmosphere.
Cons
Racing to the newest fad and little/no follow through
Wonderful Place
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 6, 2017
It was truly a wonderful place to work at. The aura about the university really rubs off on you and makes it just a great place to go to everyday. I really enjoyed my time there.
Brown is a fantastic educational institution
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 28, 2016
I loved my time at Brown and recommend it to any students looking for a good Ivy League school with a liberal perspective on education and an open curriculum.
Great leadership and management
Graduate Economics Research Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 21, 2016
Schedules were very flexible. Was able to develop good relationships with my co-workers and boss. The work was easy, but meaningful. I was able to get a lot of experience working on research projects and different statistical programs.
Experiance
Temporary Clerical worker (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 22, 2017
I worked at different departments. They are willing to train you. It was many years ago I worked there. I enjoyed working there. Co workers were great.
Wonderful school, beautiful place
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 18, 2016
I have worked Brown as a research assistant for 6 years. It's a wonderful place. There are amazing people, very friendly and helpful. At Brown I gained my PhD degree, and at the same time made lots of great friends. I am very proud of myself that I had worked there.
A stale place
Baker (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 25, 2016
Dining services is a union facility and the attitude of the workers reflects it in their lack of care about their jobs. Many have been there for decades with no drive to get promoted and simply do the bare minimum knowing the union protects them.
Productive work environment with great opportunities to learn and network
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 12, 2016
This is a great place to work and study. Brown provides opportunities for learning from professors who are leaders in their fields of study. It is also a great place to work with and network with some amazing people.
Pros
Free food, great facilities, great people.
Cons
Non that I can think of.
Good place to start research
Lead Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 2, 2016
Flexible hours, accomodating of students, opportunities for paid summer positions with similar flexibility. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills and make connections with leaders in research.
Great
Biomedical Internship (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 26, 2016
Great research and learning environemnet, especially for undergraduate and graduate students. Highly recommend to anyone looking for research positions.
excellent place to work
Analyst/ Programmer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work is usually productive and pleasant. There are many opportunities to learn new things at Brown University such as sitting in a class that is helpful to my job. Management is excellent and people are just happy and pleasant. The hardest part of the job is sometimes we might have very tight deadlines, but could be usually accomplished with some extra work during the weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is both my co-workers and my boss were excellent people to work with.
Pros
many good benefits such as free gym and long vocation time, sick days.
Cons
none.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5