Brown University Employee Reviews

Great Institution
Temporary Research Assistant, ACRIN RESCUE Study (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 6, 2015
Very flexible, good employee culture, amazing benefits, great career opportunities. I would love to work for Brown University long-term.
Overall rating is poor place to work
Manager, Facilities and Operations (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Lots of time-off with vacation, winterbreak and sick time.
Cons: Employees are taken advantage of.
The employees are over-worked and underpaid. Over the past few years Brown has eliminated positions with the expectation that staff will take on additional job responsibilities with no increase in salary.
Productive, meaningful, and fully supportive workplace.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of arriving to the hospital and, depending on if I was beginning the day or ending the day, I would communicate with co-workers regarding ER patients who were screened. I would utilize the ER software to update the screening instrument with the ER population and then check-in with nurses and doctors to screen patients. If patients were eligible for the study, I would go through the recruitment procedure including informed consent and emergency contacts, administer the baseline, and utilize a computer program to determine intervention. Then administer the intervention and offer free HIV testing, counseling, and community referrals. The hardest part of the job was when the ER had a bad day and was busy with severe crises. Often times the stress would be evident with some hospital staff. It was difficulty seeing everyone in stress. The most enjoyable part of the job were the interventions and seeing participants shift their thinking regarding their risk behaviors. My co-workers were fun and enjoyable, dedicated to their job, and friendly.
Nice place to work and excellent people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), ProvidenceJuly 12, 2015
Good environment, very nice staff. OK salary for teaching assistant. Many smart guys to work with. Nice adviser, good lectures. also very convenient facility at Brown for all students.
Serve as primary database manager and analyst for multiple clinical studies.
Clinical Data Analyst (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 18, 2015
Data management and analyses performed:
• Design regression models
• Impute missing data by using statistical methods
• Do sensitivity analysis and causal effect
• Manage clouding database
• Design simulations to examine outcomes
• Report and publish outcomes as a co-author
Great environment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Engineering DeptJune 12, 2015
Great experience as a grad student. Lab environment is good for scientific research. I learned engineering approaches for neuroscience applications with a lot of device design and data analysis.
Student Researcher
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Providence, RIMay 14, 2015
This was a student research position. The people in my lab were fun. Management was my P.I. who was great to work with. I learned to code with MATLAB's interface.
Amazing place to learn live tv sports production.
Sports Media Production Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, RIMay 4, 2015
Being a freelance PA for Brown University's live sports productions has taught me the essentials of cooperation in a quick paced environment.
Great university.
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 7, 2015
Pros: World-class teachers, very helpful, interested in their students' intellectual development.
Cons: None that I can think of.
I loved teaching my students, loved learning from world-class philosophers.

I learned more about the present-day culture in philosophy than I'd known before [when my work was largely in history of philosophy].
Great place to work & learn
Research Assistant 2 - Biology and Medicine (Current Employee), Providence, RIApril 2, 2015
Awesome place to work grow and learn. Great benefits, people, culture and environment is second to none. Have grown in many ways as a result of working in this environment
Loved it.
Clerical Support (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 9, 2015
Pros: my boss, co-workers, students
Cons: pay rate did not support my household
It was a small working office on campus. After a strenuous work schedule from my previous job it was a welcoming experience.
Visiting Lecutrer (Current Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 12, 2015
In the Intermediate Chinese classes that I taught when I first arrived at Brown, I was just beginning to learn how to conduct a class and often referenced my colleagues’ teaching styles and materials. Now in my second year and teaching Advanced Chinese, I have been drafting handouts from scratch, including writing exam questions, exercises, reading materials, and discussion materials. I also came up with the design of new classroom activities and oral exams, such as the addition of movie commentary, news reports, and debates, which were all well received by students. Furthermore, by being proactive and working collaboratively with my colleagues, we can share great ideas and improve collectively as a group.

I treasure the feedback and response from students very much. By observing my students’ feedback, I learned that while it is important to properly prepare for each and every single class, my actual presentation delivery and attitude are just as important, if not more. I learned that with more passionate vibe, genuineness and patience, students tend to concentrate better and be more willing to express their thoughts and participate in class.

Apart from teaching responsibility, I also have experience in organizing Chinese related activities and events, such as Chinese Tea Time, Chinese Table, Dumpling Party, and Talent Shows. I believe that interesting and meaningful extracurricular activities can raise their awareness in understanding Chinese language and culture. Meanwhile, these experiences also taught me how to organize and plan events, work with colleagues and how to interact with students under a productive, enjoyable and fun atmosphere.
Great Organization to work for
logistics (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2015
great place to work, lots of friendly people. good benefits, pay is okay
Family oriented workplace
Accounting Manager, Sponsored Projects (Current Employee), ProvidenceNovember 30, 2014
Working environment promotes life/work balance. This is key especially when caring for young kids or older parents.

Culture highly promotes team spirit. Professional development is widely supported and encouraged. The spirit of excellence is at the core of all activities or services provided by the university.
Excellent
Development Associate & Financial Coordinator (Current Employee), Providence, RINovember 12, 2014
• As Financial Coordinator I process all incoming travel expenses in Workday for the Regional Advancement team accurately in a timely manner.
• Detail-oriented and have an ability to handle and complete multiple projects concurrently.
• Disciplined and well organized in work habit, with ability to function smoothly in pressure situations.
• I always try to keep a positive attitude, a smile on my face, and demonstrate how much I enjoy my job.
• I constantly search for new ideas and ways to improve efficiency.
• I have the ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines and I’m always willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• Manages and prioritizes time and resources in order to successfully complete projects on time.
• Maintaining supervisor calendar, schedule meetings, and help maintaining prospect relationships.
• Accepts, and/or takes initiative for new responsibilities, assignments and/or projects and initiates and takes action for improvements.
• Responds confidently to the demands of work when confronted with change, adversity or other challenges (adapts well to change in the work environment).
• Demonstrates depth of knowledge in performing the job.
• I take great pride in my work, demonstrate depth of knowledge in performing the job and as a result produce high quality results in work assignments.
• Acts as back-up to other office personnel as required.

• Coordinated orientation program for new associates, including scheduling training, introductory meetings, and providing ongoing training and support to new employees as needed.
• Assist with small event planning, reach out, maintaining RSVP’s, EBN’s

A great place to work
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee), Providence, RISeptember 17, 2014
Pros: a great work environment
I truly enjoyed my time at Brown University. The culture and the people are what make the school so great!
Challenging and Exciting Workplace that Focuses on Individual Development
Trinity Rep, MFA Acting Program (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 15, 2014
Guest Lecturer to Second and Third-Year MFA Candidates
Devised Workshop on Professional Development for the Actor
Great teaching hospital
Visiting Medical Student (Former Employee), Rhode IslandAugust 25, 2014
Great teaching hospital and really focus on meeting the needs for students.
I met and worked with people from all over the world!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 18, 2014
Pros: lots of free food events and access to the athletic center
Cons: the drive on rt 95
My day was always interesting and full. From copying and mail duties to billing for jobs performed, ordering supplies and dealing with our vendors.
During the past two years a new system of payroll and financial reporting was begun at the University. It is called Workday and this is one of the most recent things I had been learning.
Our management was always accessible and willing to listen. They are professional and creative people.
My immediate co-workers were great, very supportive of each other and willing to lend a hand when needed. I'll miss them.
The hardest part of my job was the drive to and from on Rt 95 at rush hour.
I love to meet people so a university had been a great place for me. Every day was different, weather it was the beginning of the school year and everyone needs help finding their classrooms, Open House with parents visiting or international Conferences and all can use guidance. I loved being able to help.
It was what I liked.
Instructor, East Providence Senior Center (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 14, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I do not want to leave any preview. I was pleased at that time, and now barely remember anything.