Brown University Employee Reviews

No security for a hard worker
Customer Service for Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 2, 2017
I worked for over 2 1/2 years in the same position with 3 near perfect reviews. New management came in and we did not see eye to
eye. I was removed from employment.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
No recognition for accolades from outside sources.
I enjoyed working for a highly rated Ivy League University
Administrative Assistant-School of Public Health (Former Employee) –  Providence, RI 02912October 25, 2017
I worked at 2 different jobs while at Brown. I was laid off do to grant constraints. A typical day was fulfilling. Busy and sense of accomplishment. I learned something every day. The University Culture at a world class University was fantastic. The hardest part of the job was being asked to leave when I felt that my hard work and diligence did not count for anything.

The most enjoyable part of the job was attending skills improvement opportunities.
Pros
Very pleasant work environment
Cons
Being laid off.
Workplace needs work on including employees in more social gatherings
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 25, 2017
Good place to work with great benefits included.
However gathering between employees is very less and this makes collaborative work very difficulty.
Separate lunch room is an absolute requirement.
good experience to put on your resume
Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 10, 2017
A lot of resource you can use. library and most of the common used software you can download from the website.
a good place to network. important presentation.
Dept was great
Student and Employee Accessibility Services (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 4, 2017
The dept I worked in was supportive of my goals as a student and allowed for my time to study and grad research when needed. I could always have my time slot filled by another worker as long as notice was given early enough to the supervisor.
Wonderful place to work
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 18, 2017
I have had a very positive experience working at Brown. Everyone here interacts with respect and kindness and we work as a team. Brown offers many opportunities to learn new skills, and to interact socially with coworkers. I have always felt like a part of the larger community.
Pros
friendly work environment, fair pay, free bus to work
Cons
Very academic; sometimes mellow, sometimes chaotic; smart, interesting people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 3, 2017
Generally a good place to work. Interesting, challenging work with smart and thoughtful colleagues. Oddly manages to be highly bureaucratic and often poorly organized at the same time. System protection flows only one way, though; get a bad supervisor and you are virtually powerless. Strong respect for work/life balance and generally very good benefits, which make the mediocre salary stretch much farther.
Pros
Challenging, non-routine work; Good, smart colleagues; Work/life balance; Benefits
Cons
Poor mechanisms for internal advancement; Tendency to too many chiefs, not enough Indians; Two "class" system with academics on top and regular staff below
Fun Place
Graduate Teaching Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 3, 2017
Brown University, founded in 1764, is a member of the Ivy League and recognized for the quality of its teaching, research, and unique curriculum.
Flexible work.
Pros
Flexible, Good atmosphere
Great school - Brown University
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 30, 2017
I highly recommend Brown University to anyone who would like to pursue a degree. I have learnt a lot here and with a Brown University degree, you can have more connections with Brown alumni that will help you a lot on the job market.
Brown is a relaxed place to work and live
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 30, 2017
Brown is really a relaxed place for working and living. You can balance life with work easily. There are lots of activities aside from academic research, which is good for interactions between researchers.
Fast-paced but not very balanced
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 28, 2017
There is a lot going on so the environment is very fast-paced, however, the work load is not always balanced and that causes quite a bit of frustration among employees
really fun job and college students
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 23, 2017
it was awesome working for brown university if I could go back I totally would . by far the best job in rhodeisland . the management team was nice and understanding
Pros
everything
Cons
Nice place to work, nice benefits.
Database and Applications Administrator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 16, 2017
It's a great place to work. There is lot to learn from other people. Environment is good. Benefits are great. I worked to manage the application FAMIS that is used to manage the facilities of Brown University. I did a good job also loved working there.
Pros
Learning potential
Student
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 15, 2017
Brown University has a wide range of research laboratories from aging, to microbiology and immunology, to neuroscience. It is generally a friendly environment without any cut-throat competition.
lab work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 8, 2017
Great school to perform lab work. Have top notch equipment and funding for projects. School is located in a beautiful location. Brown University is very accommodating.
Loved it
Human Resources Management Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 1, 2017
I didn't want to write a review so don't look at this omer service skills, detail oriented, are a team player, and enjoy working with patients providing superior care, we want to talk with you. This position works with the physician to provide exceptional patient care by assisting
Best Job Experience Ever
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 28, 2017
I enjoyed tremendously working at Brown University for almost 10 years. Due to lack of funding I was not able to continue with them but I learned so much and won many friendships and acquaintances that to this day I continue to be in contact with. Although the office I worked for was not located on campus, we had access to go and partake of many on campus events and activities. Brown also offers a great benefits packet and salary. Great place to work overall!
Pros
Work atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Dedicated employees
Ph.D. Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 26, 2017
Great place to work, motvated students and staff. The city and surrounding area are beautiful and inexpensive to reside in. I have very much enjoyed my time as a student here
Awesome Time working there
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 21, 2017
I had an awesome time working there. Learn a lot of thing I didn't know and the staff was amazing. Really beautiful place was sad to leave and would love to visit again.
25 years of education and growth
Software Services Specialist, CIS (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 17, 2017
A typical day at work can be addressing a simple user concerning misbehaving software to testing a new product or service for release. It's important to know how software behaves in different environments (ethernet, VPN, wireless) and on different operating systems. Several environment variables can create unexpected results.

Management is on point and supportive. Expected outcomes are clearly defined with timetables that can sometimes be difficult to achieve (unless everything goes exactly as expected).

Workplace diversity is a strong component of employment at Brown, giving an employee a well-rounded experience - far more than any job description offers.

The hardest part of the job is seeing a user upset about technology gone awry and not having control over the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job generally follows soon afterward - seeing the smile on a user's face because you've helped them to overcome a problem that could have impacted important research or a final grade.
Pros
Strong community, volunteerism, educationally supportive
Cons
Sometimes days are too short to accomplish goals. Goals can change abruptly.