Bruegger's Bagels Employee Reviews

High expectations
Commercial Kitchen Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Brueggers was a good learning experience . I gained a lot of experience with mid 1990s kitchen equipment such as commercial rotating ovens , Large commercial kettles etc. I think I will miss the people the most .I met a lot of nice interesting people that I will miss very much ,most of them being good dedicated employees . As for management . They take advantage of the good employees . Raises are basically unheard of . Managers work unbelievable hours for salary which is not a lot . Benefits are a joke with no 401 k match . High cost insurance premiums and high deductibles . Brueggers has unrealistic expectations of their employees for what they give in return . Personally I was responsible for six stores in the Syracuse area . All six buildings are in rough shape on top of mid 1990s equipment constantly in need of repair . combined with mowing lawns ,picking weeds etc. That's a lot for one person to stay on top of . Topping it off I used my own truck . Putting 1500 to 2500 miles a month on my truck . All in All it was a good experience but not a profitable one .
Pros
Good people, free lunch
Cons
Salary, benefits, on call
Lacks Integrity
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 30, 2016
Working at Brueggers was a positive expierence at first but there is little to no communication and the bakery I worked at had many sanitation problems that lasted years and management didn't do anything about it until someone called the health inspector. There are people that have worked there for 2-13 years and still make minimum wage. I never once got a break during my shifts at Brueggers and my manager would basically make people work when they were sick. The customer interaction is great but your expierence working at Brueggers has a lot to do with management, If you have good manager great but If you don't be prepared to leave.
Pros
Half off food, tips, customer interaction, community vibe
Cons
No breaks unless you smoke, no communication, poor management
fast pased, but chaos
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Delmar, NYSeptember 29, 2016
In the 4 months that I worked at Brueggers, I went through 3 different managers. This made maintaining normal tasks very difficult. Unfortuanlty, no one wanted to work at Brueggers, so my store was full of high school students who frankly didn't care about the food they were serving or how the customer was doing. It was Very unprofessional.
The hardest part of my job here was fulfilling my shift supervisor duties which included cleaning the bagel over, bagel kettle, and doing all the dishes. On top of that, I had to re-clean all areas that my co-worker had already 'cleaned' and left before I could inspect. My co-workers believed that only the general manger was in charge, not the shift supervisor. so they blatantly ignored my requests.
Cons
co-workers, mangers only allowed breaks if time, could mop or do drawer until after school closed so I was also stuck an hour late, alone
Fun place to work; Upper management very poor
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 28, 2016
On the job at 4:30 minimum; Pray all your team members come to work because if they don't you are working till close (15-16hr day); Ordering food/supplies is a challenge (large # of items that shouldn't be are special order and take forever to come in...which you can be penalized for if company survey team comes around to evaluate). Poor upper management makes job a challenge. Prefer people to lead by example and they provide little support. Paid time off is turned down frequently. No sense of urgency to hire assistant managers if one leaves or is fired. Equipment breakdowns are costly and take time to get fixed. Human resources can be tough to deal with when payroll help is needed or someone needs to be fired even though 3 documentations for unacceptable behavior is submitted.
Pros
Free food, team members
Cons
Upper management, ordering system and building maintenance
Weirdest place I've ever worked
Counter associate (Former Employee) –  Weston, MAAugust 1, 2016
Typically you wouldn't know when or what days you were supposed to come for work because the schedule seemed to be constantly changing. The morning rush would come mostly for coffees or muffins and the line would get really long at the register and then nobody would come in for a hour or so except a few exceptions. I usually worked the register which was easy once I knew what all the buttons on the register did, and I got to talk to people which was a pleasantly surprising relief. Management was dicey and unorganized, always micromanaging and demanding that something menial be done when you were trying to do something more important. Co-workers all bonded over the terrible management. Hardest part of the job was closing, sometimes depending on who was supervising it would take multiple hours to clean up and close which was exhausting. The most enjoyable part was the free food.
Pros
Free/ discounted food, decent length break periods
fun place to work,nice and helpful team members
Head Baker (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed the work ,which was very fast paced , you really had to be alert.The manager L.was very pleasant and really on top of stuff there, I was impressed. It is a very good fresh bagel. It was a good experience for me.I have stopped in at various times and am welcomed warmly as a patron. My struggle and only problem was with my very early hours and transportation/lack of .
Pros
%of all food, pleasant work enviornment in general, serious about there buissness and product/customers
Cons
Pay not very good, and again had to get up at 3am to walk to start at 5am, It was a bit much for me.
Laid back, enjoyable job
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Storrs Mansfield, CTJune 30, 2016
A typical day of work during the week would have a breakfast rush and a lunch rush, while on the weekend would have one big breakfast rush from about 9am to 1pm. I learned that it can be challenging to be a manager but if you work hard, you will be rewarded. I enjoyed all my coworkers. They were easy to work with and we had a lot of fun together. Most of us grew into a family and I still talk to most of them even though I do not work there anymore. The hardest part of the job was telling customers that we were out of something that they wanted, but the most enjoyable part was meeting new friends between coworkers and customers.
Pros
50% off food
Busy work place
CREW MEMBER (Current Employee) –  North Oaks, MNJune 13, 2016
As soon as I clock in at 7 in the morning I have to hop on the line to serve guests. On a busy day we help customer after customer for hours on end. If there is no one to serve we keep busy by cleaning and organizing the store. I learned how to communicate well with guests, as well as better multi-tasking and doing things in the quickest and best possible way. The hardest part of the job was that you were nonstop on your feet and you always had something that needed to be done, the good part was that it kept you busy and the day went quickly.
Pros
Half off lunches, never bored, get to talk with people
Cons
short breaks, low pay, tiring
Productive and fun workplace
Counter Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTAugust 31, 2016
Bruegger's Bagels is a fun environment filled with amazing people. We work as a team and get a lot done- we build relationships with our customers and reach their needs. Its very busy and fast paced but that's my favorite part because it taught me how to work well under pressure. My team is like family to me, if i were to ever leave bruegger's I would definitely still consider breakfast with them. The only downfall is I do not get enough hours.
Pros
Good element, good enviorment
Cons
Payroll
Enjoyed the job but the manager was not a true manager.
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2016
Making the bagel sandwiches, running the register and cleaning. I learned all about bagels and customers and the overall running of the business. The manager really did not care about her job it was just another job to her. All my co-workers were great and nice to work with. The hardest part of the job was the early work hours. Morning shift had to be there at 5am. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and getting to know all the regular customers.
Pros
Great co-workers and customers.
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, no paid days off and management.
Very Productive and Family Environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 24, 2016
I loved this job. I could never sit down, not only because my manager would not allow it but because there was always something to be done. My fellow employees were like relatives. It was literally a home away from home. I learned the value of hard work and it paying off. I learned to be patient and positive. The management was great. Both managers took their jobs very seriously. They were great to their employees.
Pros
paid over minimum wage
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Food Prep and Primary Baker
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 3, 2016
While working at the Bagel place I opened and closed the store, with sandwich making, salad/soup service. My other duties included food prep; panning up cream cheese, making our tuna salad, and the main highlight was learning to bake bagels. Our method was the boil and bake which is the right way to bake a bagel.
Working at Bruegger's was very rewarding and trying at the same time. Traditional and non-traditional because it happened to be across the street from Michigan State University. So opening early and going all day.
Pros
Healthcare and Life Insurance
Cons
None at this time
Company in flux
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Okay career opportunity with regular chance to advance. Pay is lowest in field with little concern from management in regards to how the job impacts your life. Company currently undergoing bankruptcy die to miss management at the highest level.
Pros
Full-time and part time benifits
Cons
Benefits are expensive and management team does not receive breaks.
Very lazy environment, but fast-paced, and friendly customers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2016
My overall opinion of this place is that management is extremely lazy, and would prefer to shout commands at you while doing nothing themselves. I believe in fair labor, not just that but fair bosses. You will not find that there.
Pros
free lunches, nice customers
Cons
no breaks, too much downtime, attitudes
Job was ok
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 5, 2016
As new management came in, the old workers were put to the side. i no longer work with them because i was not down with the unprofessional, inappropriate behavior. i became a threat and was terminated.
Productive and Enjoyable Place to work
Sandwhich Artist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 12, 2016
Busy days epecially during breakfast and lunch hours. Learned how to work better in a team and how to work under pressure. Manager and Supervisors were great and very hardworking. Co-workers were friendly and was always nice working as a team. Hardest part of the job was having to multitask between restocking cleaning and preparing food to keep it presentable but working in a team made it better. Most enjoyable part was working with people who were always determined to work and meeting new people.
The Most Enjoyable Part About Brueggers
Cashier/ Line (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 23, 2016
The most enjoyable part about the job was having customers come in just so you can make their bagels since they like you so much. Also just being around the co workers who was there when you started because you build a friendship. However seeing people in a great mood after serving them was the shine of my days.
Pros
The companies first general manager and assistant manager was wonderful and trained me well
Cons
Discrimination when other managers got involved with our store
Productive and chill wprkplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 13, 2016
I appreciate the calmness and leniency the managers show in certain situations. They are very serious about time management since the bakery closes at 5 pm everyday. This is by far the most fun food places that I've ever experienced. My co-workers are friendly and we all have very different bonds and that's what I love about this job. The hardest part of the job is trying to maintain a positive area when you have difficult customers.
Pros
Tips, Friendly teammates and customers
Cons
The pay is just above minimum
Productive and fast paced environment
Cashier / Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2016
I learned a lot of new things such as learning to make sandwiches, and how to handle food properly. The management is very nice and gets down to business when needed to. If i'm not prepping food i am making sandwiches for the customers.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
no benefits, not enough hours
Counter associate
Counter Associate (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCJune 22, 2016
A great place to work at! Friendly people and easy to remember menu items. The staff i worked with is nice and friendly, they are also concerned about you and your life not just your work life.
Pros
50% off food when your working
Cons
you have to pay full price when your not working