Brynn Marr Hospital Employee Reviews

Unorganized/ Lack of Leadership
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 7, 2016
The schedule is always made in the morning before you clock in. You may be working in one unit, but if another coworker complains long enough; you would be move to keep some one else happy and have to clean up their mess. Let there be an incident where you were took part of, and your coworkers/ supervisors would have no problem tossing you the blame.
Pros
nothing
Cons
over worked, not enough pay and no job security
Too many expectations
Care Coordinator/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 3, 2016
Understaffed, even when "fully staffed." Must fill dual roles and work 50 hrs/week to barely keep up. Case loads are too large, especially considering the quick turnover on the acute units and adding facilitating multiple groups per week (5-7 usually, with 10-20 patients per group). A LOT of documentation, and no electronic medical records which makes it extremely inefficient.
very stressful and felt more like a secretary than a nurse
rn nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 16, 2015
no teamwork, no nursing environment except to administer medications, no help provided by managerial, staff, no job security, very hostile and violent environment.
Great Coworkers...Hard to Advance
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working here for the most part. Most of the coworkers and managers were easy to get a long with. It is near impossible to advance here so get comfortable with the position you are hired for. Breaks were hard to come by and I felt we needed more people in our department to allow for time off, etc. Raises were small and benefits were OK.
Cons
short breaks, hard to advance your career, can be stressful at times
Unsafe, not worth the low pay
Mental health worker (Former Employee) –  ResidentialOctober 7, 2012
Hard working conditions as far as mentally taxing and the 12 hour shifts can be unbearable. A mental institution is rough in large doses. Patient to staff ratios are unsafe and treatment from patients is disrespectful and sometimes violent. Not worth putting yourself in these conditions for the extremely low pay and lack of raise opportunities.
Horrible place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville NCMarch 3, 2014
A typical day is total chaos! 12 hour shift ends up being 14 hours plus. No one has time to show you anything, employees are very disgruntled. Majority of the managers are in their 20's and have no experience outside of Brynn Marr. Supervisors and the 20 something staffers are all in a click constantly texting each other and playing candy crush on their smartphones. The reason for the high turn over is due to the non experienced managers and the click of early 20 year olds that are more concerned with playing games and texting than working.
Pros
good pay, great benefits
Cons
no teamwork, lack of leadership and training
violent, chaotic, and aggressive patients
RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 3, 2012
During my interview I was not told exactly how aggressive & mean most of these patients are. I was in orientation for 1 week and received 6 days of actual on-the-job training. You pretty much only get 6 days (2 weeks @ 3 days per week). I have a psych degree & expected the pts to have true mental illness. This was really only the case on the adult hall. The kids & teens are 90% mean & crazy violent. It's nothing to get bitten, spit on, kicked, slapped, etc.. There is no security there & they expect the staff to jump on top of these aggressive boys/girls and hold them down while nurses give them shots and then throw them kicking/screaming into seclusions rooms. I am not an aggressive person & this was a very scary experience for me. I would not recommend working here unless you love fights and confrontations.
Pros
free meal each day, good pay, good benefits
Cons
see above!
Great working opportunity
MHW (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 12, 2012
As someone already stated, the work environment is very fast paced but that's because the hospital provides psychiatric support to mostly children and adolescents. I'm no longer employed there, but it's only due to being transferred with the military. The management does provide very close oversight, but considering the type work they do, it's absolutely necessary. I would still be employed there if it wasn't for the fact we had to move. The staff were very supportive during my work history there. I do have a recommendation for the hospital, they really need a new hospital on a larger piece of property so there are more outside opportunities for growth and development.
Fast-paced, high turn-over
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 7, 2013
I have learned a lot working throughout my twelve years in Brynn Marr Hospital. It taught me to have patience, adjust to changes. My days isn't usually planned due to working with 16 different diagnosis of patients, I continue to follow the schedule the best way I can. I work with all different backgrounds of co-worker those who's have experience an those who have not ever worked in this type of environment. My hardest part of my job is working with those who's doesn't have the experience, and the lack of management.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of management
Do not work here!!!
Mental health tech (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville NCAugust 20, 2014
This is not a PSYCH hospital in the least! We do not help any of the patients. The patients are all aggressive and belong in jail. Patients degrade and beat staff and the staff have zero rights and cannot do anything to stop the abuse. Our management does not support any of us and it shows greatly. It's absolute chaos and completely unorganized. They staff sparingly, risking safety of patients and staff. They only want money, they do not care about their staff in the least.
Pros
some of the employees are good
Cons
everything
Good team work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 31, 2014
I enjoy working for Brynn Marr and making a difference. With the current management I feel supported and appreciated. My co-workers are like family and I always feel like they have my back. The hardest part of my job is seeing a fragile patients, but the most enjoyable part is seeing these patients get better. I have learned patience. I feel this job has made me a more compassionate nurse. I float around to different units to help with notes, meds and much more so I see all different aspects of the job.
overall ok place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  jacksonville ncMarch 7, 2012
pay is ok but benefits are minimum to say the least. Management micromanages alot.
Always Interesting Days
Plant Operations Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 6, 2012
No day is ever the same. Learned a great deal about maintaining a company/building. Management is great and rewards employees with great incentives. The most difficult part of the job is seeing children in a behavioral hospital, yet the highlight of the position is interacting with the children and giving them hope for a bright future.
Pros
rewards/incentives
Cons
short lunch breaks
Dangerous place to be
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 17, 2014
I did not enjoy my work because of the lack of organization in the entire facility. I do not believe anyone was truly helped in this place an the compensation was horrible for the danger the staff is under.
Acute Mental Health
Interim Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 26, 2014
- Used clinical skills to maintain a therapeutic environment for stabilization and assessed the dynamics within the interdisciplinary treatment program
- Supported and supervised daily tasks of acute Social Workers
- Participated in administrative meetings and communicated with clinical managers
- Completed administrative duties including hiring, terminating, and orienting new Social Workers
- Conducted weekly staff meetings and supervised master’s level interns
Exposed to various mental illnesses and how they have an effect on the young and old
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 31, 2013
12 hour shifts working with children and adolescents with various mental diagnosis and explored positive coping skills that would be of comfort for the patient and their families. Maintaining an open positive relationship with clients and their families and also among staff members.
Pros
general exposure to different diagnosis
Cons
the sometimes long shifts taken a toll on the body
Wonderful staff and great teamwork.
Intake Clinician, Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville NCFebruary 11, 2013
Brynn Marr Hospital is an enjoyable work environment with great teamwork in place.
Pros
small hospital, get to know your patients.
Cons
short breaks.
productive place
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 23, 2012
Very fast paced, liked to work independently. All employees were friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
working independently
Cons
not enough hours
Nursing on behavioral health unit.
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NJFebruary 19, 2014
Wonderful employees, great patient/staff ratios. Beautiful facility.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
pay not comparable

2.6