Brynn Marr Hospital Employee Reviews

high experience opportunity
Director ADMISSIONS/UR/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 6, 2017
I worked for BMH for 12 years and during my employment I maintain multiple positions. I found my employment with BMH the best experience professionally. I began as a unit mental health worker and left as a Director of three different departments. It was an employment that offered much growth and development. The management team was encouraging and open to personal growth.
Pros
experience and support
Cons
New management
great place
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 10, 2017
I like working here. A typical day at work consists of answering and screening phone calls to ensure they are going to the right people, helping patients check into and out of the hospital, making sure all the correct paperwork is going to the right places, and much more. I am the first face that people see when they walk in the door. The people I work with are all very nice and helpful. I do not think there is a hard part of my job but the most enjoyable part of my job is the people and the atmosphere.
Paperwork over people work. Unsupportive management.
Care Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 1, 2017
The ratio of Care Coordinators to patients is not balanced with the amount of paperwork that has to be done per client. Paperwork and client work cannot be completed within an eight hour day. Worked a minimum of 10 hour days on salary.
A supportive group of co-workers and staff.
Pros
co-workers and experience with mulitiple area's of mental health
Cons
unblanced work load
Fun and productive place to work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 16, 2016
Work hours were from 7:00am to 8:00pm. I made sure the clients were up for school and prompted them to complete their hygiene, to eat breakfast , and to get dressed. This was a strict level 4 locked down facility so school was on another floor in the hospital. We walked them to class and sat in as a guide and assisted with school work and deterred behaviors. The staff were very team oriented and professional. The hardest part of the job was not being ale to get through to clients on some days, but the most enjoyable part was being able to do community outings with our residents.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
Long work hours
Passionate workers
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 15, 2017
The job was enjoyable due to my passion for the field. It is not for those who are easily scared or unsure of their job. You have to have both the heart and the stern hand. Management had its moments like all places do, however it was a ok environment to work in
Long Hours
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 4, 2017
Hospital felt like a prison. No real structure. No discipline of patients. Patients super aggressive and hostile. Get free breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you eat in 15 minutes.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, unsafe environment
poor communication,rewarding job
Therapeutic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 6, 2016
the job itself is rewarding and worth what goes on through the company. unfortunately poor communication, and lack of enforcing employee guidelines makes it difficult to follow through with your job
Unorganized/ Lack of Leadership
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 7, 2016
The schedule is always made in the morning before you clock in. You may be working in one unit, but if another coworker complains long enough; you would be move to keep some one else happy and have to clean up their mess. Let there be an incident where you were took part of, and your coworkers/ supervisors would have no problem tossing you the blame.
Pros
nothing
Cons
over worked, not enough pay and no job security
poor management
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 13, 2016
Poor support from administration. Hard job, requires a lot of patience and understanding. Sometimes can be very rewarding.
Too many expectations
Care Coordinator/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 3, 2016
Understaffed, even when "fully staffed." Must fill dual roles and work 50 hrs/week to barely keep up. Case loads are too large, especially considering the quick turnover on the acute units and adding facilitating multiple groups per week (5-7 usually, with 10-20 patients per group). A LOT of documentation, and no electronic medical records which makes it extremely inefficient.
Do not work here!!!
Mental health tech (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville NCAugust 20, 2014
This is not a PSYCH hospital in the least! We do not help any of the patients. The patients are all aggressive and belong in jail. Patients degrade and beat staff and the staff have zero rights and cannot do anything to stop the abuse. Our management does not support any of us and it shows greatly. It's absolute chaos and completely unorganized. They staff sparingly, risking safety of patients and staff. They only want money, they do not care about their staff in the least.
Pros
Some of the employees are good
Good team work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 31, 2014
I enjoy working for Brynn Marr and making a difference. With the current management I feel supported and appreciated. My co-workers are like family and I always feel like they have my back. The hardest part of my job is seeing a fragile patients, but the most enjoyable part is seeing these patients get better. I have learned patience. I feel this job has made me a more compassionate nurse. I float around to different units to help with notes, meds and much more so I see all different aspects of the job.
very stressful and felt more like a secretary than a nurse
rn nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 16, 2015
no teamwork, no nursing environment except to administer medications, no help provided by managerial, staff, no job security, very hostile and violent environment.
Acute Mental Health
Interim Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 26, 2014
- Used clinical skills to maintain a therapeutic environment for stabilization and assessed the dynamics within the interdisciplinary treatment program
- Supported and supervised daily tasks of acute Social Workers
- Participated in administrative meetings and communicated with clinical managers
- Completed administrative duties including hiring, terminating, and orienting new Social Workers
- Conducted weekly staff meetings and supervised master’s level interns
Horrible place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville NCMarch 3, 2014
A typical day is total chaos! 12 hour shift ends up being 14 hours plus. No one has time to show you anything, employees are very disgruntled. Majority of the managers are in their 20's and have no experience outside of Brynn Marr. Supervisors and the 20 something staffers are all in a click constantly texting each other and playing candy crush on their smartphones. The reason for the high turn over is due to the non experienced managers and the click of early 20 year olds that are more concerned with playing games and texting than working.
Pros
good pay, great benefits
Cons
No teamwork, lack of leadership and training
Great working opportunity
MHW (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 12, 2012
As someone already stated, the work environment is very fast paced but that's because the hospital provides psychiatric support to mostly children and adolescents. I'm no longer employed there, but it's only due to being transferred with the military. The management does provide very close oversight, but considering the type work they do, it's absolutely necessary. I would still be employed there if it wasn't for the fact we had to move. The staff were very supportive during my work history there. I do have a recommendation for the hospital, they really need a new hospital on a larger piece of property so there are more outside opportunities for growth and development.
Exposed to various mental illnesses and how they have an effect on the young and old
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 31, 2013
12 hour shifts working with children and adolescents with various mental diagnosis and explored positive coping skills that would be of comfort for the patient and their families. Maintaining an open positive relationship with clients and their families and also among staff members.
Pros
general exposure to different diagnosis
Cons
the sometimes long shifts taken a toll on the body
Fast-paced, high turn-over
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 7, 2013
I have learned a lot working throughout my twelve years in Brynn Marr Hospital. It taught me to have patience, adjust to changes. My days isn't usually planned due to working with 16 different diagnosis of patients, I continue to follow the schedule the best way I can. I work with all different backgrounds of co-worker those who's have experience an those who have not ever worked in this type of environment. My hardest part of my job is working with those who's doesn't have the experience, and the lack of management.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of management
Always Interesting Days
Plant Operations Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 6, 2012
No day is ever the same. Learned a great deal about maintaining a company/building. Management is great and rewards employees with great incentives. The most difficult part of the job is seeing children in a behavioral hospital, yet the highlight of the position is interacting with the children and giving them hope for a bright future.
Pros
rewards/incentives
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great Coworkers...Hard to Advance
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working here for the most part. Most of the coworkers and managers were easy to get a long with. It is near impossible to advance here so get comfortable with the position you are hired for. Breaks were hard to come by and I felt we needed more people in our department to allow for time off, etc. Raises were small and benefits were OK.
Cons
short breaks, hard to advance your career, can be stressful at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brynn Marr Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9