Buena Vista University Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful Place
Assistant XC/Track & Field Coach (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAApril 14, 2016
Place is a great place to work. Graduated from there, and they like to provide opportunities to alumni. Not a requirement, but willing to give alumni opportunities, no matter the age.
Wonderful Colleagues
Director of Multicultural Engagement (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IowaJuly 27, 2015
A fantastic group of people to work with, faculty, staff and students! A lot of change in nine years, most recently "prioritization" in which the university cut 3M from budget, undergoing major restructuring to ensure financial stability in the future.
Campus Security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAMay 1, 2015
Work duties include, patrol, lock up, medical response, unlocks, transports and other duties. I worked with students, staff, faculty to create an environment that was most beneficial for success.
College Jobs
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAFebruary 20, 2015
There were plenty work Study jobs that helped keep us busy. However, we were able to meet students from all over the world. The hardest part was keeping a friendship with the residents, but also maintaining respect for the rules.
Pros
on campus jobs
Cons
small chance of advancment
Fun and Flexible workplace.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAFebruary 18, 2015
As an international student at Buena Vista University, i am only allowed to work 7 hours/ week. And my supervisors believe that my school work comes before my work study which makes my working hours flexible. Also, my workplace is fun, i get to interact with students and professors which helps me improve my communication skills.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
less working hours
Good work environment
Senator (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAJune 23, 2014
Very friendly environment to work in. A good over all work experiance
Working as an online college professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAJanuary 5, 2014
Working as an online college professor requires one to be self-disciplined and self-directed. Being responsible for your own work environment and quality of work is highly rewarding but provides little interaction both with co-workers and with supervisors.
Management of College Residene Halls
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IANovember 24, 2013
Traditional day at work included interacting with management, students and family. Working with students and helping them achieve their educational goals was incredible and fulfilling.

The hardest part of my job was adjusting to the culture and sterile climate in Iowa. There was an intense lack of diversity and/or diverse networking available at the university. Race relations were something that was incredibly hard to accomplish.
Pros
working with students, assisting in educational goals, counseling, supervision of student employees
Cons
lack of diversity and race relations on campus. ineffective management and supervision.
work with good people who provide for students
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAAugust 26, 2013
I work with students trying to finish bachelors degree. I oversee all programs, services, staff and budgets connected with the site. The learning of a new data entry system has been the most challenging and working with and developing students the most rewarding.
Fun place to work. Helping learners aquire more knowledge.
Part-time business teacher (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAAugust 19, 2013
A class can be anything from face to face to online. Always something new.
Pros
freedom to cover subject in a way that works according to the way the class is delivered.
Cons
class can run until 11 pm
Relaxed environment with great co-workers
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAMay 28, 2013
Wake up at 7 in the morning and clean furniture such as desks, mirrors, bathrooms, chairs, etc. My supervisors were great ladies.
Nice balance between intellectual challenge and work pace
Adjunct Instructor of Music (Current Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAApril 6, 2013
I have great supportive colleagues and most students are willing to learn.
Reorganization
FINANCIAL AID/ADVISING (Current Employee) –  MAIN CAMPUSMarch 25, 2013
Entire centers organization is going through a re- organization. All current employees were told that they had to re-apply. BV does not care about the center employees, we are in limbo as to whether we have jobs or not. Salary is far below the main campus employees and far below what community colleges even pay. No administrative support as all part time and anyone without a BA has been let go. The culture is all about the main campus even though the centers organization is the main cash cow. This is not a good place to work as job security is iffy. Employees are always wondering if they have jobs from week to week.
Pros
good pto and benefits
Cons
no job security, non-ethical management
Wonderful learning environment
Varsity member of the 2007-2008 (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IADecember 6, 2012
Small class sizes and very smart faculty to assist in education.
Wonderful Employer
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottumwa, IASeptember 28, 2012
Great place to teach for...Jobs don't come open here very often..because none of us want to leave.
Love it!
Adjunct Online Faculty (Current Employee) –  Storm Lake, IASeptember 12, 2012
I have taught online for a number of institutions and BVU is BY FAR the best. Polite, respectful students. Outstanding administrators. Just a PLEASANT place to work! Everyone is nice and helpful Full regional accreditation, solid academics. Salary is a bit lower compared to comparable universities, but it is worth it to work at such a great place.
Pros
people, environment.
Interesting and educational place to work.
custodian (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IAMay 3, 2012
Good place to work. Good boss. Beautiful campus.Typical day started with cleaning the classrooms,vacuum and wiped desks.Straightened up Professors offices. Cleaned hallways and bathrooms. Emptied trash.I learned how to use floor polisher and use extractor. My bosses were good. My co-workers were easy to work with. The hardest part was during the summer we had to clean out all the dorm rooms.
The enjoyable part was we worked at our own pace.
Pros
you left alone to do your work.
Cons
too early. work started at 6 am.