Buffalo Exchange Employee Reviews

Inattentive Management, and little room for advancement
BUYER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Management is lazy, and inattentive to staff. Employees feel as if they cannot speak to management about important issues.
fun high spirited place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I learned how to run a store. I learned how store goals are met and how that translates into our pay checks. I enjoyed working under the manager that hired me. I learned how to work in a fast pace. I learned to hone my multi-tasking skills.
Pros
free food during store meetings
Cons
inventory
an okay place to work
Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2017
over all it was an okay place to work. they dont really practice what they preach when it comes to buying clothes they say they buy by style but really they only look for brands. way too much training every week was something new to learn and i was there for over a year and they always want to train. lastly the employees that worked there the longest are the worst hipsters alive....
Pros
free food all the time and free clothes
Cons
alot of the management are mean old hipsters
Extremely High Turnover Rate
Solo Buyer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 12, 2016
After working here for almost a full year, I saw at least 30 people come and go. Being an experience well-trained buyer is not an easy job, but they pay you like its an entry level job. Managment is all over the place too.
Pros
First pick on clothes
Cons
Bad pay, long hours, inconsistent, crazy customers
Fun Place to work but rigorous
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2016
Amazing place to work if you're young and love fashion! You can dance around get to know customers but you have to be update on all current fashion trends. That can provide a snotty environment to be in.
Pros
free food here and there
Cons
snotty
Very friendly environment with great finds.
Cashier/Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2016
All of the employees were very friendly and cool towards each other and the customers. It was literally our job to ensure that the customer left the thrift store completely satisfied. My work ethic has become more accurate because of the fast paced environment that made the store successful everyday.
Pros
Rare Clothing
Amazing company that offers more than fashion forward thinking
Merchandiser, Buyer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 26, 2016
This is truly a family-runned establishment that has spread wholly across the country. It was a pleasure to work with a forward-thinking company and like-minded employees. My one wish is that they would consider time off for those who must continue school. I only left this company for a study abroad opportunity and an internship in another state, and was unable to be rehired for that reason.
productive environment, with manageable requirements
Buyer/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2016
buffalo exchange is a fast paced environment with alot of rules and regulations. management is strict but well put together with a team that works tightly together to meet goals and produce revenue
Great Start
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2016
Buffalo Exchange is a great place to get acquainted with business tactics and how to grow a business. Every employee is heavily involved with the success of each store.

Work to life balance becomes increasingly difficult with advancement.
Pros
great company, good intentions, great clothes, cool people
Cons
long shifts, little flexibility
Overall Good Company
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 6, 2016
Buffalo Exchange was a fun place to work! Lots to see an do everyday and it provided a funky fashion oriented atmosphere. The hard part about any retail job is long hours and limited time off.

The further I moved into management the messier it became. I moved out of state to pursue a management role and within 6 months they had fired the Area Manager, Store Manager, and Associate Managers- myself included. The hours were long and support was minimal, stores that are not doing well have limited opportunities to better their sales or cultivate staff relations. Buying used clothes from the public is tough- you have to know a ton about clothes but do not have any of the "glamorous" appeal of other retail jobs. Customers could be very hard to handle.

Good benefits, health insurance for part timers that included domestic partners, PTO, generous discount, opportunities to travel
Pros
generous discount, PTO, quality health insurance, fun culture
Cons
long hours, lack of support, little management structure
Great job to learn multiple skills
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2016
I learned a lot my time at Buffalo Exchange. Buffalo Exchange taught me about being a self-starter and how to give great customer service.
Pros
good environment
Cons
short breaks
Fun retail job for the most part
Store Buyer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 14, 2015
This job was ok, but customers sell some very dirty clothes, so be prepared to be sick more often. There are a lot of rewards, but there is such a high turn over rate and if you are not a good buyer your job is at risk.
Pros
lots of rewards and employee discount
Cons
Dirty, lots to learn and lots of pressure
Fun workplace engaging with different poeple everyday.
Buyer/Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 18, 2015
A great atmosphere with a fun staff to enjoy work with. Interacting with different people everyday is always fun. There was always room to grow within the company.
Pros
Bonus checks, discounted clothing.
Cons
Staying over your shift.
Able to grow and learn
Fashion Buyer (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CASeptember 16, 2015
Days were hectic, but we were taught to work under pressure as well as working quickly. I learned to buy for a successful company as well as inventory, budgets, merchandising and customer service. My co-workers and I were like family, we had so much fun working together. The hardest part of the job was having to turn people down whom we couldn't benefit from. We do buy sell trade, so customers would come in selling their clothing. Many brought in items that would make us any revenue so we had to turn them down politely.
Pros
Bonuses and free stuff after accumulating points.
Cons
Breaks were a little too short.
Interesting overall atmosphere
Buyer Expert/Trainer/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2015
I would sort through customers' clothing and determine a price for any desirable items I was able to find. In that respect, I was directly responsible for the store's inventory. I would also train new hires on the responsibilities required for the job - what to look for as far as fashion trends, how to handle customers, and the day to day functions of a retail environment. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the delicate nature of rejecting someone's clothing, and not making that deliberation seem personal. The best part of that job was finding items that many people thought were worthless, like band tees, and giving them new lives and new homes.
Pros
opportunity for bonuses each month
Cons
short breaks and not much growth
Very fun retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2015
Fun friendly centrally located cheap clothing. LOVED that. I had a blast working there, however in Denver's fast paced economy I never had a chance to make any money.
Pros
Free beer, cheap clothing
Cons
Very hard to advance
Good start for retail
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2015
I got promoted in a year and a half at H&M and really enjoyed my new job. The company culture is very hectic and fast-paced, but I would recommend it for anyone wanting to work in retail. You can work anywhere after being at H&M
overall a fun job
Buyer expert (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 16, 2015
Overall its a pretty fun job. Everyday was a learning experience as a Buyer because you come across so many different brands everyday. I met some amazing fashionable people along the way that I will forever cherish..
Pros
fast paced enviornment, free clothes
Cons
short lunches
Productive and fun environment
Studio Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
Learned about brands and designers, productive and fun environment. Working with and meeting new people. Plenty room for growth and always learning something new.
Fun job and great coworkers
Floor Assistant, Head of Visual Display Team (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2015
Great job if you are looking to learn more about apparel and fashion trends. Seemed relatively open to job growth but definitely something you have to proactively work towards. Employees were great to work with and management knows what they are doing. Hardest part of the job would have to be difficult customers, especially being in downtown
Pros
Great coworkers, fun meetings, job perks
Cons
Difficult customers, hard to get time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buffalo Exchange. Our community is ready to answer.