Buffalo Exchange Employee Reviews

Fun retail job for the most part
Store Buyer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 14, 2015
This job was ok, but customers sell some very dirty clothes, so be prepared to be sick more often. There are a lot of rewards, but there is such a high turn over rate and if you are not a good buyer your job is at risk.
Pros
lots of rewards and employee discount
Cons
Dirty, lots to learn and lots of pressure
Fun workplace engaging with different poeple everyday.
Buyer/Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 18, 2015
A great atmosphere with a fun staff to enjoy work with. Interacting with different people everyday is always fun. There was always room to grow within the company.
Pros
Bonus checks, discounted clothing.
Cons
Staying over your shift.
Able to grow and learn
Fashion Buyer (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CASeptember 16, 2015
Days were hectic, but we were taught to work under pressure as well as working quickly. I learned to buy for a successful company as well as inventory, budgets, merchandising and customer service. My co-workers and I were like family, we had so much fun working together. The hardest part of the job was having to turn people down whom we couldn't benefit from. We do buy sell trade, so customers would come in selling their clothing. Many brought in items that would make us any revenue so we had to turn them down politely.
Pros
Bonuses and free stuff after accumulating points.
Cons
Breaks were a little too short.
Interesting overall atmosphere
Buyer Expert/Trainer/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2015
I would sort through customers' clothing and determine a price for any desirable items I was able to find. In that respect, I was directly responsible for the store's inventory. I would also train new hires on the responsibilities required for the job - what to look for as far as fashion trends, how to handle customers, and the day to day functions of a retail environment. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the delicate nature of rejecting someone's clothing, and not making that deliberation seem personal. The best part of that job was finding items that many people thought were worthless, like band tees, and giving them new lives and new homes.
Pros
opportunity for bonuses each month
Cons
short breaks and not much growth
Very fun retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2015
Fun friendly centrally located cheap clothing. LOVED that. I had a blast working there, however in Denver's fast paced economy I never had a chance to make any money.
Pros
Free beer, cheap clothing
Cons
Very hard to advance
Good start for retail
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2015
I got promoted in a year and a half at H&M and really enjoyed my new job. The company culture is very hectic and fast-paced, but I would recommend it for anyone wanting to work in retail. You can work anywhere after being at H&M
overall a fun job
Buyer expert (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 16, 2015
Overall its a pretty fun job. Everyday was a learning experience as a Buyer because you come across so many different brands everyday. I met some amazing fashionable people along the way that I will forever cherish..
Pros
fast paced enviornment, free clothes
Cons
short lunches
Productive and fun environment
Studio Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
Learned about brands and designers, productive and fun environment. Working with and meeting new people. Plenty room for growth and always learning something new.
Fun job and great coworkers
Floor Assistant, Head of Visual Display Team (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2015
Great job if you are looking to learn more about apparel and fashion trends. Seemed relatively open to job growth but definitely something you have to proactively work towards. Employees were great to work with and management knows what they are doing. Hardest part of the job would have to be difficult customers, especially being in downtown
Pros
great coworkers, fun meetings, job perks
Cons
difficult customers, hard to get time off
Overall great company
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 21, 2015
I was responsible for buying all merchandise that came into the store.
This was fun because, I had to learn to adapt to our customer and know what our customer wanted to purchase. I loved seeing our customers satisfied with the items I purchased to be sold within our establishment.
productive and challenging
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day for my posistion involves constant communication with customers, informing them on the buying process
Good energy
Head Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CaNovember 15, 2014
Great work place. On a typical day I was buying in new product for the store. We would have extremely busy days and it was a fun work environment.
Fun Place to work
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
I managed a group of 10 people. Made work schedules based on availabilities. I also trained employees on customer service, register policies, and how to select and price inventory. I offered in the moment feedback to employees.
Fun workplace with flexible hours
Clothing Buyer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 20, 2014
Buying used clothes, ringing up customers, maintaining store's overall appearance, working in the fitting room area.
I learned about many different brands of clothing.
I got along well with management and my fellow coworkers.
Approaching hostile customers.
I enjoyed working with clothing and getting first pick on items that would come into the store.
Pros
discounted clothing.
Cons
inconsistent employee training from management
Wonderful company to work for
EXPERT BUYER (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2014
Cashier, Retail clothing buyer, price clothing. Management was wonderful to work with. Co-workers worked as a team.
Buffalo Exchange is a great company to work for
Buyer (Former Employee) –  AZJuly 12, 2014
I was a buyer at buffalo exchange & I absolutely loved it. I learned more about fashion & I usually spent my whole paycheck there
Pros
paid vacation, discounts, you get to shop all day basically
Cons
managers usually stress you out
Productive fast pace retail environment
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2014
Obviously I loved my job! I stayed with the company for 5 years!!
Everyday had its routines but the customer interactions were always different and genuine.
I learned how to coach, train and supervise staff. I had to adapt to each individuals way of learning and tweak my approach on giving feedback.
I quickly learned how to diffuse situations with difficult customers.
Pros
working with all different types of people, good compensation, fun atmosphere
Cons
high turn over rate in management
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
Great business that trust and enables staff to bring new ideas to the forefront. Competitive pay better than most competition. Benefits are great and encourage healthy lifestyle as well as a good discount. Management always encouraging staff into advancement.
A wonderful company
Buyer and Visual merchandise lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 15, 2014
I loved my tenure with this company. Great starting pay for retail, and many perks such as new clothing daily in the inventory. A typical day consisted of merchandising the store, buying merchandise from customers, attending to customers in the fitting room as well as the sales floor, and ringing customers out. Everyday was different and you honestly never knew what to expect, which was fun, in the beginning.

Training is essential in this company, and is overly emphasized in the employ handbook. This is great for employees who are trained thoroughly the first time. During my time with the company, in less than a year, I had over 7 different managers within 4 different management teams.This became tiresome, as most management did not train thoroughly, as they were never with the company for a long duration of time. Many left willingly, were fired, or had been demoted due to reasons that are still left unknown, which leads to my next topic, communication.

This company's policy as to how they communicate with their employs is archaic. You are served communication forums, infamously known as "comm slips" where they document every issue before bringing it to an associates attention. They basically use this as a way to build a case upon you, so that when its time for them to fire you or give you an evaluation that requires a raise in pay, they have all the resources needed to validate their decision. This proves to be poor management skills as many managers didn't bring up an issue with employs until the last minute. Many of my coworkers received communication slips months after
  more... an incident occurred, and management would force you to sign the slip pertaining to something that happened so long ago that you forgot what even happened and if you counter their claim, you are tagged as "insubordinate". Management often failed to communicate with each other and more often than not, associates suffered for this reason.

My co-workers were all fantastic on the other hand! Some of the most eccentric and fun individuals that I have ever met.

The hardest part of the job is definitely buying merchandise from the public. Since the location I worked at was smaller, "buyers" which happen to be sales and floor assistants as well, are left with the duty to deal with customer relations in all aspects of the store. This location was in a commuter city, so people were either constantly moving in, or out, and that usually meant people bringing in clothing that was not only un-stylish, but presented health hazards as well, (menstrual cycle stains, bugs in bags of clothing, ect) and having to constantly deal with peoples bad attitudes for not taking their clothing to re-sale, or to donate if we didn't buy their stuff and the donation bin was full. Theft was also big at this location and since the company believes in the old " provide excellent customer service, and no one will steal" mantra, instead of more modern techniques of loss prevention; it was a constant struggle to stop theft as associates shouldn't have to follow suspicious characters constantly, while doing merchandise buys, as well as ringing customers out at the same time. That was the struggle that the company saw daily as it refused to pay for technology to make the day go more smoothly for its associates at all locations. Its a chain with over 40 locations, and it still runs like it is a mom and pop shop in Arizona.

The most enjoyable part about working with the company is that they allow you to express yourself through your dress daily, and they actually embrace that through their seasonal zine. There are many opportunities to participate with this medium, especially if you are a photographer, or stylist looking to get a few publishing credits while you work with this company. Although most were rude, there were many customers that were nice and will seek advice about fashion, which makes the job worth it in many ways.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the company and have no regrets working here. Kirsten, Spencer and Rebecca's company has become a staple in many cities. Its difficult to not commend their efforts in sustainability. This job is fun while it last, but don't get stuck!
Cons
short breaks, theft
Fun work atmosphere, Individuality inspired, anything but average thrift store.
Store Secretary & Book Keeper (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Buffalo Exchange is a great place to work. I have learned so much in the 2 1/2 years I have been there. The training resources and contacts they provide set their employees up for success. In my position as a Store Secretary there isn't much opportunity for promotion. But for buying positions there is a lot of room for advancement within the company. I have enjoyed my time there very much. The teamwork in this company is amazing.

A typical day of work for me involves e-mail correspondence, several Excel Workbook reports, register reconciliation, using Word and keyboarding to create posters, sign up sheets and more, checking supply orders, running errands, contacting contractors for maintenance, giving employee feedback, distributing assignments, answering phones, filing and organizing, and anything else I can do to ensure the store can run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. I am the main contact for our GA Accounting, HR, Payroll and IT departments. I set up interviews, check references, complete intake paperwork including employee files and tax paperwork, I handle Open Enrollment for employee benefits and personnel issues, I do store level payroll duties once every two weeks, such as reviewing punches, entering PTO and submitting final hours to our Payroll department. When there are equipment issues I contact IT and troubleshoot with them over the phone to get it working properly.

I have had the pleasure of working along side 3 great Store Managers in my two years there. Each of them has taught me new things as an employee and individual. I feel lucky to have had such
  more... strong leaders.

The co worker atmosphere at Buffalo Exchange is fun and personable. The company encourages individuality and believes that all different types of people contribute to their success. They offer many benefits and incentives to their people which leads to employees who value their positions and enjoy their work.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that as a secretary I have reached the top of the chain. I have worked at two different locations, my first year there I received Employee of the year and I have gotten to know so many wonderful people. But my time has come to move forward in my career.

Most enjoyable part of the job would be the people I have gotten to work with.
Pros
the schedule i need, decent pay, bonus checks, employee discount on clothes, learning tools provided by the company.
Cons
little opportunity for advancement as a secretary, long drive.