Buffalo Exchange

Buffalo Exchange Employer Reviews

Fun Place to work
Associate Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
I managed a group of 10 people. Made work schedules based on availabilities. I also trained employees on customer service, register policies, and how to select and price inventory. I offered in the moment feedback to employees.
Fun workplace with flexible hours
Clothing Buyer (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: discounted clothing.
Cons: inconsistent employee training from management
Buying used clothes, ringing up customers, maintaining store's overall appearance, working in the fitting room area.
I learned about many different brands of clothing.
I got along well with management and my fellow coworkers.
Approaching hostile customers.
I enjoyed working with clothing and getting first pick on items that would come into the store.
Wonderful company to work for
EXPERT BUYER (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2014
Cashier, Retail clothing buyer, price clothing. Management was wonderful to work with. Co-workers worked as a team.
Buffalo Exchange is a great company to work for
Buyer (Former Employee), AZJuly 12, 2014
Pros: paid vacation, discounts, you get to shop all day basically
Cons: managers usually stress you out
I was a buyer at buffalo exchange & I absolutely loved it. I learned more about fashion & I usually spent my whole paycheck there
Productive fast pace retail environment
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2014
Pros: working with all different types of people, good compensation, fun atmosphere
Cons: high turn over rate in management
Obviously I loved my job! I stayed with the company for 5 years!!
Everyday had its routines but the customer interactions were always different and genuine.
I learned how to coach, train and supervise staff. I had to adapt to each individuals way of learning and tweak my approach on giving feedback.
I quickly learned how to diffuse situations with difficult – more... customers. – less
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
Great business that trust and enables staff to bring new ideas to the forefront. Competitive pay better than most competition. Benefits are great and encourage healthy lifestyle as well as a good discount. Management always encouraging staff into advancement.
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
Fun work atmosphere, Individuality inspired, anything but average thrift store.
Store Secretary & Book Keeper (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: the schedule i need, decent pay, bonus checks, employee discount on clothes, learning tools provided by the company.
Cons: little opportunity for advancement as a secretary, long drive.
Buffalo Exchange is a great place to work. I have learned so much in the 2 1/2 years I have been there. The training resources and contacts they provide set their employees up for success. In my position as a Store Secretary there isn't much opportunity for promotion. But for buying positions there is a lot of room for advancement within the company. – more... I have enjoyed my time there very much. The teamwork in this company is amazing.

A typical day of work for me involves e-mail correspondence, several Excel Workbook reports, register reconciliation, using Word and keyboarding to create posters, sign up sheets and more, checking supply orders, running errands, contacting contractors for maintenance, giving employee feedback, distributing assignments, answering phones, filing and organizing, and anything else I can do to ensure the store can run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. I am the main contact for our GA Accounting, HR, Payroll and IT departments. I set up interviews, check references, complete intake paperwork including employee files and tax paperwork, I handle Open Enrollment for employee benefits and personnel issues, I do store level payroll duties once every two weeks, such as reviewing punches, entering PTO and submitting final hours to our Payroll department. When there are equipment issues I contact IT and troubleshoot with them over the phone to get it working properly.

I have had the pleasure of working along side 3 great Store Managers in my two years there. Each of them has taught me new things as an employee and individual. I feel lucky to have had such strong leaders.

The co worker atmosphere at Buffalo Exchange is fun and personable. The company encourages individuality and believes that all different types of people contribute to their success. They offer many benefits and incentives to their people which leads to employees who value their positions and enjoy their work.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that as a secretary I have reached the top of the chain. I have worked at two different locations, my first year there I received Employee of the year and I have gotten to know so many wonderful people. But my time has come to move forward in my career.

Most enjoyable part of the job would be the people I have gotten to work with. – less
Fun work enviorment
Sr.Buyer/Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 26, 2013
Great place to work if your interested in the resale, buy and trade industry.
fun place to work!
Associate Manager/Buyer (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 21, 2013
Pros: good benefits, great learning experience
Cons: not enough training, incompetent upper managers
Buffalo exchange is a great place to work in, you learn so much about fashion, trends, clothing construction & business.
A Fabulous Company.
Buyer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2013
Pros: you see what merchandise comes in before customers, great management, fabulous training, and valuable buying experience.
Working as a buyer at Buffalo Exchange is hard work but is so rewarding. A typical day is hectic because as a buyer I am responsible for buying in clothing, being knowledgable of brands, performing register transactions, working the floor, making sure customers are having a great time, checking people in and out at the dressing rooms and doing all of – more... this with a positive attitude. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows this can be very exhausting. This job has made me grow a back bone for sure. I used to be afraid of telling people no and I cared too much about what people would say or think but now I know i'm just doing my job and following policy. I was trained very well and I am constantly learning new ways to handle many of the scenarios that can happen in a retail environment. One thing I do enjoy is the constant feedback I get from managers and co-workers because it's nice to see that people are looking out for me and want me to excel at what I do. That being said I absolutely adore my co-workers and my boss, they dress well, love talking about fashion, and they always know what to say when i'm not having the best day. The hardest part about my job is telling people no but it's my job to know what items will sell and what items won't sell in my store. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with customers because the most interesting characters come in. They're stories inspire me. – less
Fun, energetic, always different.
Buyer (Former Employee), las vegas,nvSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: great pay/bonuses
Cons: management
The whole business was amazing! each was something different and exciting. The only problem was the turn around, we had employees either leaving or laid off every week. The store never had a full team so I never was able to see it in full affect. Management was young so there was always someone forgot about or bad training.
Not your average retail job
Buyer (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 26, 2013
Buffalo Exchange is not your average retail job. The employees are responsible for the merchandise assortment. You go through a lot of buy training and learn a lot about different brands and companies. Employees are treated well for the most part; getting two consecutive days off for full time, earned pay vacation, and bonuses if your store does well. – more... It is a fun and energetic environment to work in. – less
Fun, fast pace, fashionable
Buyer (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAJuly 29, 2013
buying in merchandise, customer service, cashier, fitting rooms
FUn envoronment, opportunity for advancement, great benefits, low salary
Buyer Trainer/ Associate Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 11, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: wages, stress, upper management
Many opportunities for advancement, multiple locations across the country. Holiday and weekends required, low hourly wages, great benefits.
Only if you're desperate
Entry Level Buyer (Former Employee), N.O.May 31, 2013
Pros: learn alot about different brands along with quality
Cons: pay is very poor for a company that does exceptional monthly
I wouldn't recommend this company unless you are EXTREMELY desperate.The pay is very poor.The company tries to save cost by cutting back on plastic bags (which you have to explain to customers by saying the company went green).The managers along with the area manager are VERY phoney. Overall I would NOT recommend.
A buy, sell, trade, enjoyable retail environment.
Independent Buyer/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 17, 2013
Buffalo Exchange is an interesting company, it is a buy, sell, trade recycled clothing retail business. I've learned a lot while working at Buffalo Exchange but most importantly how to interact with people on a more personal, but yet professional manner. I learned that public relations is one of my strengths, I enjoy communicating with people and understanding – more... who they are as an individual. Everyday I have the opportunity to converse and meet new people, its the best part of the job in my opinion. The hardest part of the job is denying customers by not being able to purchase their clothing based on the style and condition of the clothing, that can be very disheartening for some individuals. Some customers may overreact if we don't purchase their clothing, it it is my job to diffuse the situation before it escalates. Buffalo Exchange is an excellent place to work, if your interested in working in a retail environment It also can be great preparation if your interested in creating your own retail business. – less
productive fun learning envirionment full of opportunties
Expert Buyer/ Lead of Visuals (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 24, 2013
-Visual Merchandising daily
-Catering to customers
-Buying and selling clothes
-Inventory daily
-Counting in and out
-Cashier
Valuable retail employment, demanding but worth it
Buyer/Merchandising (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: laidback work environment
Cons: drama, work politics
Buffalo Exchange is a one of a kind work environment. The company is transparent with its financials which was extremely interesting to learn about how money is spent and allocated. Typically shifts were 8 hours long and consisted of product buying, customer service, cleaning tasks, communication with customers, and cash/register use.
Fun and interesting job with great fashion finds!
Associate Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: discount for employees, spot rewards, great benefits
Cons: high turn-over
Unlike any other retail job.
Buffalo Exchange is one of those places where everyday is different. The principle idea is to have the best clothes at the best price; both for the buyer as well as the seller. This particular location is bustling with tourists, hobos, and Joe's like you and me.
I have learned how to tactfully say no, thank you and how to – more... build trust through my knowledge and experience. Everyone who I have met from working there has all had a heart of gold and an eye for fashion! Everyday something amazing comes in and I learn new labels or diffusion lines, new fabric blends and silhouettes. Informing our customers of the community involvement and environmental choices our company supports always brings a smile to their face and makes me feel good about what I do. Management is open and honest. I have learned that it is better to know than to not know and better to have had said something than not. The company has been around for a long time and it's not going anywhere anytime soon! – less