Buffalo Exchange Employee Reviews

Good start for retail
Stylist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 22, 2015
I got promoted in a year and a half at H&M and really enjoyed my new job. The company culture is very hectic and fast-paced, but I would recommend it for anyone wanting to work in retail. You can work anywhere after being at H&M
overall a fun job
Buyer expert (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CAMay 16, 2015
Pros: fast paced enviornment, free clothes
Cons: short lunches
Overall its a pretty fun job. Everyday was a learning experience as a Buyer because you come across so many different brands everyday. I met some amazing fashionable people along the way that I will forever cherish..
Productive and fun environment
Studio Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2015
Learned about brands and designers, productive and fun environment. Working with and meeting new people. Plenty room for growth and always learning something new.
Fun job and great coworkers
Floor Assistant, Head of Visual Display Team (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: great coworkers, fun meetings, job perks
Cons: difficult customers, hard to get time off
Great job if you are looking to learn more about apparel and fashion trends. Seemed relatively open to job growth but definitely something you have to proactively work towards. Employees were great to work with and management knows what they are doing. Hardest part of the job would have to be difficult customers, especially being in downtown
Overall great company
Buyer (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 21, 2015
I was responsible for buying all merchandise that came into the store.
This was fun because, I had to learn to adapt to our customer and know what our customer wanted to purchase. I loved seeing our customers satisfied with the items I purchased to be sold within our establishment.
productive and challenging
Buyer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day for my posistion involves constant communication with customers, informing them on the buying process
Good energy
Head Buyer (Former Employee), Fullerton, CaNovember 15, 2014
Great work place. On a typical day I was buying in new product for the store. We would have extremely busy days and it was a fun work environment.
Fun Place to work
Associate Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
I managed a group of 10 people. Made work schedules based on availabilities. I also trained employees on customer service, register policies, and how to select and price inventory. I offered in the moment feedback to employees.
Fun workplace with flexible hours
Clothing Buyer (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: discounted clothing.
Cons: inconsistent employee training from management
Buying used clothes, ringing up customers, maintaining store's overall appearance, working in the fitting room area.
I learned about many different brands of clothing.
I got along well with management and my fellow coworkers.
Approaching hostile customers.
I enjoyed working with clothing and getting first pick on items that would come into the store.
Wonderful company to work for
EXPERT BUYER (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2014
Cashier, Retail clothing buyer, price clothing. Management was wonderful to work with. Co-workers worked as a team.
Buffalo Exchange is a great company to work for
Buyer (Former Employee), AZJuly 12, 2014
Pros: paid vacation, discounts, you get to shop all day basically
Cons: managers usually stress you out
I was a buyer at buffalo exchange & I absolutely loved it. I learned more about fashion & I usually spent my whole paycheck there
Productive fast pace retail environment
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2014
Pros: working with all different types of people, good compensation, fun atmosphere
Cons: high turn over rate in management
Obviously I loved my job! I stayed with the company for 5 years!!
Everyday had its routines but the customer interactions were always different and genuine.
I learned how to coach, train and supervise staff. I had to adapt to each individuals way of learning and tweak my approach on giving feedback.
I quickly learned how to diffuse situations with difficult customers.
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
Great business that trust and enables staff to bring new ideas to the forefront. Competitive pay better than most competition. Benefits are great and encourage healthy lifestyle as well as a good discount. Management always encouraging staff into advancement.
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
A wonderful company
Buyer and Visual merchandise lead (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 15, 2014
Cons: short breaks, theft
I loved my tenure with this company. Great starting pay for retail, and many perks such as new clothing daily in the inventory. A typical day consisted of merchandising the store, buying merchandise from customers, attending to customers in the fitting room as well as the sales floor, and ringing customers out. Everyday was different and you honestly never knew what to expect, which was fun, in the beginning.

Training is essential in this company, and is overly emphasized in the employ handbook. This is great for employees who are trained thoroughly the first time. During my time with the company, – more... in less than a year, I had over 7 different managers within 4 different management teams.This became tiresome, as most management did not train thoroughly, as they were never with the company for a long duration of time. Many left willingly, were fired, or had been demoted due to reasons that are still left unknown, which leads to my next topic, communication.

This company's policy as to how they communicate with their employs is archaic. You are served communication forums, infamously known as "comm slips" where they document every issue before bringing it to an associates attention. They basically use this as a way to build a case upon you, so that when its time for them to fire you or give you an evaluation that requires a raise in pay, they have all the resources needed to validate their decision. This proves to be poor management skills as many managers didn't bring up an issue with employs until the last minute. Many of my coworkers received communication slips months after an incident occurred, and management would force you to sign the slip pertaining to something that happened so long ago that you forgot what even happened and if you counter their claim, you are tagged as "insubordinate". Management often failed to communicate with each other and more often than not, associates suffered for this reason.

My co-workers were all fantastic on the other hand! Some of the most eccentric and fun individuals that I have ever met.

The hardest part of the job is definitely buying merchandise from the public. Since the location I worked at was smaller, "buyers" which happen to be sales and floor assistants as well, are left with the duty to deal with customer relations in all aspects of the store. This location was in a commuter city, so people were either constantly moving in, or out, and that usually meant people bringing in clothing that was not only un-stylish, but presented health hazards as well, (menstrual cycle stains, bugs in bags of clothing, ect) and having to constantly deal with peoples bad attitudes for not taking their clothing to re-sale, or to donate if we didn't buy their stuff and the donation bin was full. Theft was also big at this location and since the company believes in the old " provide excellent customer service, and no one will steal" mantra, instead of more modern techniques of loss prevention; it was a constant struggle to stop theft as associates shouldn't have to follow suspicious characters constantly, while doing merchandise buys, as well as ringing customers out at the same time. That was the struggle that the company saw daily as it refused to pay for technology to make the day go more smoothly for its associates at all locations. Its a chain with over 40 locations, and it still runs like it is a mom and pop shop in Arizona.

The most enjoyable part about working with the company is that they allow you to express yourself through your dress daily, and they actually embrace that through their seasonal zine. There are many opportunities to participate with this medium, especially if you are a photographer, or stylist looking to get a few publishing credits while you work with this company. Although most were rude, there were many customers that were nice and will seek advice about fashion, which makes the job worth it in many ways.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the company and have no regrets working here. Kirsten, Spencer and Rebecca's company has become a staple in many cities. Its difficult to not commend their efforts in sustainability. This job is fun while it last, but don't get stuck! – less
Fun work atmosphere, Individuality inspired, anything but average thrift store.
Store Secretary & Book Keeper (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: the schedule i need, decent pay, bonus checks, employee discount on clothes, learning tools provided by the company.
Cons: little opportunity for advancement as a secretary, long drive.
Buffalo Exchange is a great place to work. I have learned so much in the 2 1/2 years I have been there. The training resources and contacts they provide set their employees up for success. In my position as a Store Secretary there isn't much opportunity for promotion. But for buying positions there is a lot of room for advancement within the company. I have enjoyed my time there very much. The teamwork in this company is amazing.

A typical day of work for me involves e-mail correspondence, several Excel Workbook reports, register reconciliation, using Word and keyboarding to create posters, sign – more... up sheets and more, checking supply orders, running errands, contacting contractors for maintenance, giving employee feedback, distributing assignments, answering phones, filing and organizing, and anything else I can do to ensure the store can run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. I am the main contact for our GA Accounting, HR, Payroll and IT departments. I set up interviews, check references, complete intake paperwork including employee files and tax paperwork, I handle Open Enrollment for employee benefits and personnel issues, I do store level payroll duties once every two weeks, such as reviewing punches, entering PTO and submitting final hours to our Payroll department. When there are equipment issues I contact IT and troubleshoot with them over the phone to get it working properly.

I have had the pleasure of working along side 3 great Store Managers in my two years there. Each of them has taught me new things as an employee and individual. I feel lucky to have had such strong leaders.

The co worker atmosphere at Buffalo Exchange is fun and personable. The company encourages individuality and believes that all different types of people contribute to their success. They offer many benefits and incentives to their people which leads to employees who value their positions and enjoy their work.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that as a secretary I have reached the top of the chain. I have worked at two different locations, my first year there I received Employee of the year and I have gotten to know so many wonderful people. But my time has come to move forward in my career.

Most enjoyable part of the job would be the people I have gotten to work with. – less
Fun work enviorment
Sr.Buyer/Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 26, 2013
Great place to work if your interested in the resale, buy and trade industry.
fun place to work!
Associate Manager/Buyer (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 21, 2013
Pros: good benefits, great learning experience
Cons: not enough training, incompetent upper managers
Buffalo exchange is a great place to work in, you learn so much about fashion, trends, clothing construction & business.
A Fabulous Company.
Buyer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2013
Pros: you see what merchandise comes in before customers, great management, fabulous training, and valuable buying experience.
Working as a buyer at Buffalo Exchange is hard work but is so rewarding. A typical day is hectic because as a buyer I am responsible for buying in clothing, being knowledgable of brands, performing register transactions, working the floor, making sure customers are having a great time, checking people in and out at the dressing rooms and doing all of this with a positive attitude. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows this can be very exhausting. This job has made me grow a back bone for sure. I used to be afraid of telling people no and I cared too much about what people would say – more... or think but now I know i'm just doing my job and following policy. I was trained very well and I am constantly learning new ways to handle many of the scenarios that can happen in a retail environment. One thing I do enjoy is the constant feedback I get from managers and co-workers because it's nice to see that people are looking out for me and want me to excel at what I do. That being said I absolutely adore my co-workers and my boss, they dress well, love talking about fashion, and they always know what to say when i'm not having the best day. The hardest part about my job is telling people no but it's my job to know what items will sell and what items won't sell in my store. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with customers because the most interesting characters come in. They're stories inspire me. – less
Fun, energetic, always different.
Buyer (Former Employee), las vegas,nvSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: great pay/bonuses
Cons: management
The whole business was amazing! each was something different and exciting. The only problem was the turn around, we had employees either leaving or laid off every week. The store never had a full team so I never was able to see it in full affect. Management was young so there was always someone forgot about or bad training.