Buffalo Exchange

Buffalo Exchange Employer Reviews

Fun Place to work
Associate Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
I managed a group of 10 people. Made work schedules based on availabilities. I also trained employees on customer service, register policies, and how to select and price inventory. I offered in the moment feedback to employees.
Fun workplace with flexible hours
Clothing Buyer (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: discounted clothing.
Cons: inconsistent employee training from management
Buying used clothes, ringing up customers, maintaining store's overall appearance, working in the fitting room area.
I learned about many different brands of clothing.
I got along well with management and my fellow coworkers.
Approaching hostile customers.
I enjoyed working with clothing and getting first pick on items that would come into the store.
Wonderful company to work for
EXPERT BUYER (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2014
Cashier, Retail clothing buyer, price clothing. Management was wonderful to work with. Co-workers worked as a team.
Buffalo Exchange is a great company to work for
Buyer (Former Employee), AZJuly 12, 2014
Pros: paid vacation, discounts, you get to shop all day basically
Cons: managers usually stress you out
I was a buyer at buffalo exchange & I absolutely loved it. I learned more about fashion & I usually spent my whole paycheck there
Productive fast pace retail environment
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2014
Pros: working with all different types of people, good compensation, fun atmosphere
Cons: high turn over rate in management
Obviously I loved my job! I stayed with the company for 5 years!!
Everyday had its routines but the customer interactions were always different and genuine.
I learned how to coach, train and supervise staff. I had to adapt to each individuals way of learning and tweak my approach on giving feedback.
I quickly learned how to diffuse situations with difficult – more... customers. – less
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
Great business that trust and enables staff to bring new ideas to the forefront. Competitive pay better than most competition. Benefits are great and encourage healthy lifestyle as well as a good discount. Management always encouraging staff into advancement.
Positive Environment and Advancement
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2014
A wonderful company
Buyer and Visual merchandise lead (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 15, 2014
Cons: short breaks, theft
I loved my tenure with this company. Great starting pay for retail, and many perks such as new clothing daily in the inventory. A typical day consisted of merchandising the store, buying merchandise from customers, attending to customers in the fitting room as well as the sales floor, and ringing customers out. Everyday was different and you honestly – more... never knew what to expect, which was fun, in the beginning.

Training is essential in this company, and is overly emphasized in the employ handbook. This is great for employees who are trained thoroughly the first time. During my time with the company, in less than a year, I had over 7 different managers within 4 different management teams.This became tiresome, as most management did not train thoroughly, as they were never with the company for a long duration of time. Many left willingly, were fired, or had been demoted due to reasons that are still left unknown, which leads to my next topic, communication.

This company's policy as to how they communicate with their employs is archaic. You are served communication forums, infamously known as "comm slips" where they document every issue before bringing it to an associates attention. They basically use this as a way to build a case upon you, so that when its time for them to fire you or give you an evaluation that requires a raise in pay, they have all the resources needed to validate their decision. This proves to be poor management skills as many managers didn't bring up an issue with employs until the last minute. Many of my coworkers received communication slips months after an incident occurred, and management would force you to sign the slip pertaining to something that happened so long ago that you forgot what even happened and if you counter their claim, you are tagged as "insubordinate". Management often failed to communicate with each other and more often than not, associates suffered for this reason.

My co-workers were all fantastic on the other hand! Some of the most eccentric and fun individuals that I have ever met.

The hardest part of the job is definitely buying merchandise from the public. Since the location I worked at was smaller, "buyers" which happen to be sales and floor assistants as well, are left with the duty to deal with customer relations in all aspects of the store. This location was in a commuter city, so people were either constantly moving in, or out, and that usually meant people bringing in clothing that was not only un-stylish, but presented health hazards as well, (menstrual cycle stains, bugs in bags of clothing, ect) and having to constantly deal with peoples bad attitudes for not taking their clothing to re-sale, or to donate if we didn't buy their stuff and the donation bin was full. Theft was also big at this location and since the company believes in the old " provide excellent customer service, and no one will steal" mantra, instead of more modern techniques of loss prevention; it was a constant struggle to stop theft as associates shouldn't have to follow suspicious characters constantly, while doing merchandise buys, as well as ringing customers out at the same time. That was the struggle that the company saw daily as it refused to pay for technology to make the day go more smoothly for its associates at all locations. Its a chain with over 40 locations, and it still runs like it is a mom and pop shop in Arizona.

The most enjoyable part about working with the company is that they allow you to express yourself through your dress daily, and they actually embrace that through their seasonal zine. There are many opportunities to participate with this medium, especially if you are a photographer, or stylist looking to get a few publishing credits while you work with this company. Although most were rude, there were many customers that were nice and will seek advice about fashion, which makes the job worth it in many ways.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the company and have no regrets working here. Kirsten, Spencer and Rebecca's company has become a staple in many cities. Its difficult to not commend their efforts in sustainability. This job is fun while it last, but don't get stuck! – less
Fun work atmosphere, Individuality inspired, anything but average thrift store.
Store Secretary & Book Keeper (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: the schedule i need, decent pay, bonus checks, employee discount on clothes, learning tools provided by the company.
Cons: little opportunity for advancement as a secretary, long drive.
Buffalo Exchange is a great place to work. I have learned so much in the 2 1/2 years I have been there. The training resources and contacts they provide set their employees up for success. In my position as a Store Secretary there isn't much opportunity for promotion. But for buying positions there is a lot of room for advancement within the company. – more... I have enjoyed my time there very much. The teamwork in this company is amazing.

A typical day of work for me involves e-mail correspondence, several Excel Workbook reports, register reconciliation, using Word and keyboarding to create posters, sign up sheets and more, checking supply orders, running errands, contacting contractors for maintenance, giving employee feedback, distributing assignments, answering phones, filing and organizing, and anything else I can do to ensure the store can run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. I am the main contact for our GA Accounting, HR, Payroll and IT departments. I set up interviews, check references, complete intake paperwork including employee files and tax paperwork, I handle Open Enrollment for employee benefits and personnel issues, I do store level payroll duties once every two weeks, such as reviewing punches, entering PTO and submitting final hours to our Payroll department. When there are equipment issues I contact IT and troubleshoot with them over the phone to get it working properly.

I have had the pleasure of working along side 3 great Store Managers in my two years there. Each of them has taught me new things as an employee and individual. I feel lucky to have had such strong leaders.

The co worker atmosphere at Buffalo Exchange is fun and personable. The company encourages individuality and believes that all different types of people contribute to their success. They offer many benefits and incentives to their people which leads to employees who value their positions and enjoy their work.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that as a secretary I have reached the top of the chain. I have worked at two different locations, my first year there I received Employee of the year and I have gotten to know so many wonderful people. But my time has come to move forward in my career.

Most enjoyable part of the job would be the people I have gotten to work with. – less
Fun work enviorment
Sr.Buyer/Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 26, 2013
Great place to work if your interested in the resale, buy and trade industry.
fun place to work!
Associate Manager/Buyer (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 21, 2013
Pros: good benefits, great learning experience
Cons: not enough training, incompetent upper managers
Buffalo exchange is a great place to work in, you learn so much about fashion, trends, clothing construction & business.
A Fabulous Company.
Buyer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2013
Pros: you see what merchandise comes in before customers, great management, fabulous training, and valuable buying experience.
Working as a buyer at Buffalo Exchange is hard work but is so rewarding. A typical day is hectic because as a buyer I am responsible for buying in clothing, being knowledgable of brands, performing register transactions, working the floor, making sure customers are having a great time, checking people in and out at the dressing rooms and doing all of – more... this with a positive attitude. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows this can be very exhausting. This job has made me grow a back bone for sure. I used to be afraid of telling people no and I cared too much about what people would say or think but now I know i'm just doing my job and following policy. I was trained very well and I am constantly learning new ways to handle many of the scenarios that can happen in a retail environment. One thing I do enjoy is the constant feedback I get from managers and co-workers because it's nice to see that people are looking out for me and want me to excel at what I do. That being said I absolutely adore my co-workers and my boss, they dress well, love talking about fashion, and they always know what to say when i'm not having the best day. The hardest part about my job is telling people no but it's my job to know what items will sell and what items won't sell in my store. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with customers because the most interesting characters come in. They're stories inspire me. – less
Fun, energetic, always different.
Buyer (Former Employee), las vegas,nvSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: great pay/bonuses
Cons: management
The whole business was amazing! each was something different and exciting. The only problem was the turn around, we had employees either leaving or laid off every week. The store never had a full team so I never was able to see it in full affect. Management was young so there was always someone forgot about or bad training.
Not your average retail job
Buyer (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 26, 2013
Buffalo Exchange is not your average retail job. The employees are responsible for the merchandise assortment. You go through a lot of buy training and learn a lot about different brands and companies. Employees are treated well for the most part; getting two consecutive days off for full time, earned pay vacation, and bonuses if your store does well. – more... It is a fun and energetic environment to work in. – less
Fun, fast pace, fashionable
Buyer (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAJuly 29, 2013
buying in merchandise, customer service, cashier, fitting rooms
FUn envoronment, opportunity for advancement, great benefits, low salary
Buyer Trainer/ Associate Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 11, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: wages, stress, upper management
Many opportunities for advancement, multiple locations across the country. Holiday and weekends required, low hourly wages, great benefits.
Only if you're desperate
Entry Level Buyer (Former Employee), N.O.May 31, 2013
Pros: learn alot about different brands along with quality
Cons: pay is very poor for a company that does exceptional monthly
I wouldn't recommend this company unless you are EXTREMELY desperate.The pay is very poor.The company tries to save cost by cutting back on plastic bags (which you have to explain to customers by saying the company went green).The managers along with the area manager are VERY phoney. Overall I would NOT recommend.
A buy, sell, trade, enjoyable retail environment.
Independent Buyer/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 17, 2013
Buffalo Exchange is an interesting company, it is a buy, sell, trade recycled clothing retail business. I've learned a lot while working at Buffalo Exchange but most importantly how to interact with people on a more personal, but yet professional manner. I learned that public relations is one of my strengths, I enjoy communicating with people and understanding – more... who they are as an individual. Everyday I have the opportunity to converse and meet new people, its the best part of the job in my opinion. The hardest part of the job is denying customers by not being able to purchase their clothing based on the style and condition of the clothing, that can be very disheartening for some individuals. Some customers may overreact if we don't purchase their clothing, it it is my job to diffuse the situation before it escalates. Buffalo Exchange is an excellent place to work, if your interested in working in a retail environment It also can be great preparation if your interested in creating your own retail business. – less
productive fun learning envirionment full of opportunties
Expert Buyer/ Lead of Visuals (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 24, 2013
-Visual Merchandising daily
-Catering to customers
-Buying and selling clothes
-Inventory daily
-Counting in and out
-Cashier
Valuable retail employment, demanding but worth it
Buyer/Merchandising (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: laidback work environment
Cons: drama, work politics
Buffalo Exchange is a one of a kind work environment. The company is transparent with its financials which was extremely interesting to learn about how money is spent and allocated. Typically shifts were 8 hours long and consisted of product buying, customer service, cleaning tasks, communication with customers, and cash/register use.