Buffalo Public Schools Employee Reviews

teacher
Classroom teacher (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 9, 2015
k i would go back here to work very laid back and helpful staff to bad I got laid off but would for sure go back here to work. Great beneifits and professional develpoment. Great place to work.
Fun place to see the future of our country
Substitue (Current Employee), School 74, Hamlin ParkJanuary 20, 2015
My day consist of applying knowledge of life to the children of the inner city and academia for those ready and willing to work hard to be what they set their mind upon. On a daily basis I learn something new of myself and the students I encounter, my co workers are also not only teachers to the students but teachers to me also, they are in the position that I would like to be apart of in the near future. I enjoy seeing students succeed, but the hard part is seeing students fail with no care, only because home life isn't stable.
Very difficult working conditions
Middle School English Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 25, 2014
On a typical day, I would arrive an hour and a half before school started to be sure I had everything in order for the day's classes. I taught five English classes each day with an average of 25 students ranging academically from intensive needs to average. Team meetings, parent conferences, and special duties filled the rest of my time at school. Each evening I spent 3-5 hours searching for materials – more... for future lessons, grading assignments and completing administrative tasks.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant curriculum changes, a lack of teaching material to implement the curriculum, and poor departmental communication. In addition, I was subject to regular verbal and physical assaults from students that often were ignored by the administration.

Enjoyment came from few parents and students that respected me and my undying effort to help facilitate learning. It was exhilarating to receive positive responses to my lessons from students knowing that they understood and even enjoyed it. – less
Difficult
Teacher, Family and Consumer Science (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: no job security
8-3:40 pm Monday-Friday
Teaching position
No job security
Needs new supervisory team
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYSeptember 18, 2014
The hardest part of the job was working with unmotivated techers.
Wonderful
Public School Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 19, 2014
Nice place to work. I enjoyed it. Very Nice people. I learned to sing. Co workers very nice. Some heavy lifting. Fun to play with kids.
good training
Bus Attendant (Former Employee), new yorkMay 31, 2013
i was a bus aid taking kids to and from school as well as fied trips and after school activites.
food service/cafeteria worker
food service - cafeteria (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 9, 2013
Pros: being able to go to different locations & being done with the job early in the day.
Cons: being sent to rough areas to do the job you are asked to do.
prep as needed of food items, review the menu daily & set up of your area work station. served lunches to the students & teahers daily. i learned alot of useful things to do w/my home cooking of different items. management were all different & very stern in their position of teaching you duties. my co-workers were all pretty good to work with no matter where i was sent. the worst i ever indured were out of control children in line.. also going into different sites & setting up according to their ways of serving. the most enjoyable part was, summer break and coming back to a whole new bunch of students.
See previous review
Microsoft Business Applications Instructor (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2013
Great part time position if you re not supporting a family. Positions will never lead into full time or have any room for advancement.
loved working with the students
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: gave me a great reason to want to coninue in this field
Cons: havin to jump from school to school
i really loved this job working with kids and fellow co workers was a great experience
As a Substitute Teacher I have the benefits of learning the uniqueness of each school within the Buffalo Public School system.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Buffalo, New YorkNovember 26, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours.
Cons: work is per diem
Buffalo Public Schools system is a great place to work. Many of the teachers are focused on the common goal "Student achievement by putting students first". The work environment is great and supportive. The most difficult part of the job is lack of consistency. Substitute teachers are not granted specific hours for working. When I am working, I am rewarded by knowing that I have helped students excel academically in a way that they will use the skills I have taught them to become successful members of society.
Professional Environment
TEACHER MATHEMATICS (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 17, 2012
Pros: benefits, vacation
Cons: convoluted expectations and goals due to the large size of the district
Buffalo Schools has been fall victim to a contracting community along with a contracting budget. With these limitations, the teachers and administrators in schools have used creative measures along with hard work to optimize student performance in a constantly changing educational expectation.
N/A
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJuly 24, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I completed social histories and ran social skills counseling. I accompanied social worker on home visits.
being able to see children pass their grade level
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJuly 9, 2012
Pros: seeing the child you work so hard with walk across stage or move on to the next level
Cons: being place in classroom as a sub and not getting sub pay
I loved going in to work to work with the kids from K - 8 that was great helping them with all the skill they would need from the next level helping out the teacher with lesson plans and teaching the student thing the teacher didn't have time to do cause of meeting an thing like that
Challenging but rewarding
Building Math Teacher (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 11, 2012
My day at work begins with checking e-mails, greeting students and staff and fulfilling requests by classroom teachers. These requests can include supplying them with manipulatives, extra lessons on certain concepts, taking a small group during class time or asking for guidance on how to teach a certain concept. Attending grade level meetings is required as well.

I've learned that as professionals, – more... teachers are life-long learners.

Management of time and classroom personalities is an on-the-job, day-to-day activitiy. There is no "rule book" so ingenuity and spontaneity is a plus.

Coworkers are a saving grace! We work well as a team and supporting one another makes the work place environment a joy.

The hardest part of my job is thoroughly understanding the hardships that several students endure. Their personal lives often interfere with their zeal to learn and can at times cause the educator to feel like they have not fulfilled their responsibility.

The most enjoyable part is when a student has an "ah-ha" moment and when they tell you how much you have meant to them throughout the school year. – less
unreasonable administration
Teacher (Former Employee), BuffaloFebruary 29, 2012
Cons: healthcare was excellent
My interview was 5 minutes long the day before school started. When hired, I was sent to a school that had a long list of teachers that had been fired in that certain discipline. They seemed to have scapegoated these teachers. The union was no help as it was a 1 year position. Would never ever work for this district again.