Buffalo Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

A great experience
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 28, 2016
I met well rounded healthy students who are talented beyond measure with enthusiastic teachers and administrators willing to recognize their success as well as the success in others.
Pros
Union
Cons
Political
Great place to work.
SUBSTITIUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2016
Great place to work because of flexible schedule. Teachers don't really care for substitutes much but the job is still great.
Great place to learn while teaching
Teacher Aide (Personal Care Aide) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 23, 2016
I love it,its a good place to work..Has its pros and cons like every other work place. I assist a teacher and reinforce the instruction taught in the classroom to students. This includes going over lessons with students individually, and answering questions.
Amazing school district
Supervisor of Special Education (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 31, 2016
I began my career in Buffalo New York and had wonderful experiences learning and growing. It was the most amazing place to work with limited resources but wealth in commitment and love for public education.
Teaching is extremely challenging
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 29, 2016
A typical day is exhausting with still more tasks than i began to anticipate.

Coworkers are an excellent source of information when staff is supportive of each other and the overall goals.
Buffalo Public Schools is a welcoming environment
Temporary Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 14, 2016
On a daily basis I get to interact, communicate, and socialize with great people. The staff in the Buffalo Public Schools are friendly, inviting, and most of all helpful to newcomers that makes a person feel welcomed and not threatened. Fellow staff members are continuously working together to make the school environment a better and more successful place for students to learn.
Pros
Many different cultures, great healthcare, great atmosphere
Cons
Not always able to get appropriate supplies and materials for students
A good place to learn and grow.
Buffalo Public Schools Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 26, 2015
You should go into work early to read over lesson plans, and make sure you have everything you need to start and end the day on a good note. Best part of the job have to be the students, you can learn so much from them. To work in this type of environment you have to be flexible, things can change at an instant, so being open-minded is important.
Productive and fun workplace
Special Education teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 18, 2015
Productive and fun workplace to work with children motivating, teaching, and inspiring them to learn daily. Seeing their progress throughout the school year is very rewarding.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  buffalo nyJuly 6, 2015
Helping as a Teacher's aid, opened my eyes to the hard work it takes to run a classroom. It takes alot of energy to support a healthy learning environment. I learned that a positive attitude can really make a difference in a stressful environment. Simple things such as reading a story to the class, really encouraged everyone around me , including myself.
teacher
Classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 9, 2015
k i would go back here to work very laid back and helpful staff to bad I got laid off but would for sure go back here to work. Great beneifits and professional develpoment. Great place to work.
Fun place to see the future of our country
Substitue (Current Employee) –  School 74, Hamlin ParkJanuary 20, 2015
My day consist of applying knowledge of life to the children of the inner city and academia for those ready and willing to work hard to be what they set their mind upon. On a daily basis I learn something new of myself and the students I encounter, my co workers are also not only teachers to the students but teachers to me also, they are in the position that I would like to be apart of in the near future. I enjoy seeing students succeed, but the hard part is seeing students fail with no care, only because home life isn't stable.
Very difficult working conditions
Middle School English Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 25, 2014
On a typical day, I would arrive an hour and a half before school started to be sure I had everything in order for the day's classes. I taught five English classes each day with an average of 25 students ranging academically from intensive needs to average. Team meetings, parent conferences, and special duties filled the rest of my time at school. Each evening I spent 3-5 hours searching for materials for future lessons, grading assignments and completing administrative tasks.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant curriculum changes, a lack of teaching material to implement the curriculum, and poor departmental communication. In addition, I was subject to regular verbal and physical assaults from students that often were ignored by the administration.

Enjoyment came from few parents and students that respected me and my undying effort to help facilitate learning. It was exhilarating to receive positive responses to my lessons from students knowing that they understood and even enjoyed it.
Difficult
Teacher, Family and Consumer Science (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 25, 2014
8-3:40 pm Monday-Friday
Teaching position
No job security
Pros
hours
Cons
no job security
Needs new supervisory team
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 18, 2014
The hardest part of the job was working with unmotivated techers.
Wonderful
Public School Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 19, 2014
Nice place to work. I enjoyed it. Very Nice people. I learned to sing. Co workers very nice. Some heavy lifting. Fun to play with kids.
food service/cafeteria worker
food service - cafeteria (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2013
prep as needed of food items, review the menu daily & set up of your area work station. served lunches to the students & teahers daily. i learned alot of useful things to do w/my home cooking of different items. management were all different & very stern in their position of teaching you duties. my co-workers were all pretty good to work with no matter where i was sent. the worst i ever indured were out of control children in line.. also going into different sites & setting up according to their ways of serving. the most enjoyable part was, summer break and coming back to a whole new bunch of students.
Pros
being able to go to different locations & being done with the job early in the day.
Cons
being sent to rough areas to do the job you are asked to do.
See previous review
Microsoft Business Applications Instructor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2013
Great part time position if you re not supporting a family. Positions will never lead into full time or have any room for advancement.
loved working with the students
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 16, 2013
i really loved this job working with kids and fellow co workers was a great experience
Pros
gave me a great reason to want to coninue in this field
Cons
havin to jump from school to school
As a Substitute Teacher I have the benefits of learning the uniqueness of each school within the Buffalo Public School system.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, New YorkNovember 26, 2012
Buffalo Public Schools system is a great place to work. Many of the teachers are focused on the common goal "Student achievement by putting students first". The work environment is great and supportive. The most difficult part of the job is lack of consistency. Substitute teachers are not granted specific hours for working. When I am working, I am rewarded by knowing that I have helped students excel academically in a way that they will use the skills I have taught them to become successful members of society.
Pros
flexible work hours.
Cons
work is per diem
Professional Environment
TEACHER MATHEMATICS (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 17, 2012
Buffalo Schools has been fall victim to a contracting community along with a contracting budget. With these limitations, the teachers and administrators in schools have used creative measures along with hard work to optimize student performance in a constantly changing educational expectation.
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
convoluted expectations and goals due to the large size of the district

Buffalo Public Schools Reviews by Location