Buffalo Public Schools Employee Reviews

a vocation
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 11, 2017
There are so many dedicated, hard-working, caring teachers, staff, and administrators doing their best to help needy, urban students achieve a quality education.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
student behavior issues
Very good
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Erie County, NYAugust 7, 2017
La paga deveria ser semanales y qie no ubiera tantos dias libres
Pros
Cons
Un trabajo juertw pero bueno
Account Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 20, 2017
Dedication to students. I've learned alot. Enjoy working in the schools with the children very much. I've learned all aspects of working in and managing an office, proficient in all office machines, great customer service skills.
Pros
Good Teachers
Cons
Low level students
What I enjoyed about teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed interacting with the students. Working as a middle school teacher stretched me, as I had to always study a little harder in order to stay prepared and have an available wealth of knowledge for the students.
I enjoyed the down time, in which I had the opportunity to prepare lessons, and read up on various topics, prior to presenting a lesson to the students.
The hardest part of the job, was probably having to take work home ( tests, quizzes, and projects), which had to be read, corrected, and of course, I would always write comments about each of the students work.
Another thing which was not a bright spot, was when students were blatantly disrespectful, and cursed in the class, or disregarded the classroom rules. It made for an unfortunate situation for the students who wished to learn.
Pros
Having to do hallway duty and lunch duty was not one of my favorite things as a teacher.
Cons
The pay could have been better.
Overall
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2017
I enjoy working for the Buffalo Public Schools because of the children. I wouldn't work in any other school district. I look forward every day to come to work and see my kiddos. They are who keeps me going. Unfortunately there are a lot of controversies that surround our district. I am thankful I have a job and am able to work with such appreciative and beautiful children.
Terrible working environment...nonsupportive
Spanish/Italian Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 27, 2017
This is a very difficult environment to work in...working conditions are minimal at best. There is no support for the teachers and the students are easily able to run the school. Teachers face several difficult challenges on a daily basis. It is not a place in which you look forward to going to work.
Pros
health benefits, retirement
Cons
uncontrollable students, no consequences for behavior, no support from administration
Professional environment
Secondary social studies teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 7, 2017
I believe our administration may be overwhelmed with student delinquency and absences. I believe we need to focus more on academic successes as we so often do with our students' athletic achievements. I believe we can do more to tap the minds and intellectual abilities of our students in all learning environments.
Pros
Early breakfasts and healthy lunches.
Cons
Low student motivation.
productive and fun
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 6, 2017
its a good place to start if you would like to impact the lives of children. The district has plenty of growing to do but work must go on to make improvements as much as possible.
The hardest part of the job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 27, 2017
The hardest was not working in isolation. So many people are in their own world. It took effort to stop what I was doing to establish meaningful relationships with other staff members.
Pros
compensation for education
Cons
advancement, weather
per deim, travel to different school
Interim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Fill in for the absent teacher, follow the class schedule, teacher and manage students' learning and behaviors. Work culture isn't great because of behavior issues, substtitue teachers at times are not respected, organizational politics, the great part of the day are periodic teachable moments.
Pros
time off
Cons
No raises, no paid time off or holiday
A great experience
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 28, 2016
I met well rounded healthy students who are talented beyond measure with enthusiastic teachers and administrators willing to recognize their success as well as the success in others.
Pros
Union
Cons
Political
Great place to work.
SUBSTITIUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2016
Great place to work because of flexible schedule. Teachers don't really care for substitutes much but the job is still great.
Great place to learn while teaching
Teacher Aide (Personal Care Aide) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 23, 2016
I love it,its a good place to work..Has its pros and cons like every other work place. I assist a teacher and reinforce the instruction taught in the classroom to students. This includes going over lessons with students individually, and answering questions.
Amazing school district
Supervisor of Special Education (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 31, 2016
I began my career in Buffalo New York and had wonderful experiences learning and growing. It was the most amazing place to work with limited resources but wealth in commitment and love for public education.
Teaching is extremely challenging
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 29, 2016
A typical day is exhausting with still more tasks than i began to anticipate.

Coworkers are an excellent source of information when staff is supportive of each other and the overall goals.
Buffalo Public Schools is a welcoming environment
Temporary Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 14, 2016
On a daily basis I get to interact, communicate, and socialize with great people. The staff in the Buffalo Public Schools are friendly, inviting, and most of all helpful to newcomers that makes a person feel welcomed and not threatened. Fellow staff members are continuously working together to make the school environment a better and more successful place for students to learn.
Pros
Many different cultures, great healthcare, great atmosphere
Cons
Not always able to get appropriate supplies and materials for students
A good place to learn and grow.
Buffalo Public Schools Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 26, 2015
You should go into work early to read over lesson plans, and make sure you have everything you need to start and end the day on a good note. Best part of the job have to be the students, you can learn so much from them. To work in this type of environment you have to be flexible, things can change at an instant, so being open-minded is important.
Productive and fun workplace
Special Education teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 18, 2015
Productive and fun workplace to work with children motivating, teaching, and inspiring them to learn daily. Seeing their progress throughout the school year is very rewarding.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  buffalo nyJuly 6, 2015
Helping as a Teacher's aid, opened my eyes to the hard work it takes to run a classroom. It takes alot of energy to support a healthy learning environment. I learned that a positive attitude can really make a difference in a stressful environment. Simple things such as reading a story to the class, really encouraged everyone around me , including myself.
teacher
Classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 9, 2015
k i would go back here to work very laid back and helpful staff to bad I got laid off but would for sure go back here to work. Great beneifits and professional develpoment. Great place to work.