Buffets Inc Employee Reviews

Management is horrible, the company itself is bankrupt
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 4, 2017
they laid us off over night with no warnig the managers do not communicate between each other or get involved in emplyee problems and they usually do not give formal training to their staff when starting... however you will find most of the employees are very friendly and will help make a positive work place
Pros
Can be a positive work place
Cons
horrible managment and no employee loyalty from corporate or managment
its a good first job
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WADecember 21, 2016
washing dishes, doing anything the manager asks you to do, I learned that when things get tough don't quit even if you feel like you really want to. Management is good they are all on top of things and what needs to be done. Co-workers are fun to work with when you get to know them I enjoyed my time there for the most part. hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated throughout the day when other people aren't really doing what they have to do to get the job done and get out of there. I enjoyed making money along with having fun with my team while I was working by myself for a couple hours.
Pros
first meal is on them when hired, making money and talking to customers while working
Cons
long shifts sometimes, getting called in on youre days off
worst place I've ever worked
Baker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2016
The amount of food preparation needed took more hours than allowed. No overtime allowed ever. Can only work 32 hours a week. Breaks were not allowed on a regular basis. Asking for assistance only resulted in management yelling at you to finish your job. I am an excellent hard worker and there was no way I could get all the desserts done. My coworkers regularly worked off the clock for hours to make all of production.
Pros
Cons
no breaks and a very negative management team.
Great place to work untill they closed up
Shift Supervisor/Jack of all trade except cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2016
I ended up being a jack of all trade, started in dish room.
To janitorial-light maintenance, unloading and rotating stock.
Up to food prep. baking, material and safety food handler
Shift supervisor-Customer Service.
Made bank runs for deposits and change.
Was key holder to open the store before management arrived.
Was certified trainer.
Been awarded several Safety Awards in my 20 years of service.
Pros
Would of worked their till I retired
Cons
Closed up
Just sarting out in the culinary arts program
Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 7, 2017
Learned what I know starting out with this company right out of Tapps Cooking School which is no longer around.I'm forever grateful for getting my start.Learned how to properly bake
Help get the restaurant off the ground by helping get all equipment and item in building.
Pros
Free lunch and great people to work for and with.
Cons
Just to far out.
Productive day, same routine everyday.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 2, 2016
A typical day at work was relatively simple, other days of the month such as the beginning of the month and holiday were more hectic. I learned how to accept help from coworkers because sometimes the work load was a lot for one person. Management was great and helped out a tremendous amount and took care of the disputes between customers and employees.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the not so nice customers, but luckily we had great management to help.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Short hours
a buffet challenge
Service and Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 2, 2016
Open by checking in office, checking log, Admitting employee, Checking in produce. inventory to determine production for the day, reviewing previous days and weeks production. Assist with setting up buffet line. Answer phone and if needed cover shifts of sick employees. Inspect food before opening restaurant. greet guests, answer question about daily selection. keep visual on products, cleanliness, and correcting any issues. Prepare for afternoon by determining any production needs to ensure freshness and quality of food. gather up anything that may need to de disposed of and assist with it removal. perform any office tasks that need to be caught up/ Prepare to close or shift change.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of family time
Customer Service
Server (Former Employee) –  Newark, DE 19713December 29, 2016
An incredibly quick paced environment, from cleaning to prepping. Monday-Wednesday a decently paced dinner time, Thursday-Sunday, can be a wild and incredibly busy time, between Kid's Thursday Nights to Family attendances on Sunday's after church. By accomplishing goals such as customer service, preparing seating to table arrangements and memorable, custom, customer service can help you receive great financial income. Managers are always hands on within all areas to achieve smooth customer service. From the kitchen, to the bakery to the dish room and the floor service. All managers always remained active. Most enjoyable part of the job was to create relationships with guest to create a family vibe, to have their specific needs ready for them as soon as possible.
Pros
Meeting great people/families as regulars.
Cons
Not enough hours given/high turn over rate.
Buffet Restaurant
Utility Maintenance/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJanuary 25, 2017
In the morning have to start cleaning all the dirty dishes from the preps that was there early morning and making sure that the floors in the lobby and the bus stations are clean and prepped before they open and after opening just maintaining the dishes that need cleaned
Cons
Low wage and hours and days of work
decent company with a well rounded management team
CASHIER/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 19, 2016
I received excellent cashier and customer service skills through Hometown Buffet however the company did not offer the best hours or advancement in pay. I enjoyed working for this company none the less, and was saddened when the store closed. I learned how to be more patient and received undocumented management training a month before the store closed. My co-workers, the managers and the guests were so positive and everyone built friendships amongst us all. The cashier position I was in had a lot of multi-tasking involved and it constantly tested my patients but I learned how to be even more patient while maintaining an energetic and cheerful energy that would last throughout my shift.
Pros
great management, positive atmosphere
Cons
little pay, no benefits, low hours
Good environment
Cashier/Dining Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 19, 2016
A typical day working at the buffet would be me arriving to work saying hi to my co-workers. I also greet everyone once they are coming in the door, I like to make sure our customers feel welcome, I also thank our customers for visiting us and invite them to come back again. The hardest part of my job is having to deny the entrance to a homeless person, that breaks my heart no be able to let them in, some customers would complain if they see a homeless serving himself or herself food or sitting in the same room as them. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with people, I like to see how I can make their visit more pleasant by assisting them with their needs.
Working here was not the best, but it got the bills paid.
Bakery Clerk, Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNNovember 23, 2016
The day to day life at Old Country buffet was never the same. There was always some kind of problem or complication. I learned a lot of patience working here. Management was not the greatest but they were working with what they had, the best they could.
A toxic environment with no job security
Shift Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CASeptember 20, 2016
Management is encouraged to 'trim' hours because over time is not allowed. Many employees will be clocked out at 8 hours for the day and have to work off the clock to finish cleaning, saying they will add the hours to another days.

There is no job security what so ever. Many times calling in sick will result in losing work hours for weeks, or even months to come. Making employees prefer to come in sick, putting other employees and customers at risk. So many times employees hours are changed without their knowledge, and then they are written up for not coming to work.

There is little to no training. New employees may get one day of training, two if they're lucky.

I refuse to eat at any of these restaurants, let alone work at one again.
Pros
Cons
Bad Business Practices
first job
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2016
For my first job ever, it wasn't a bad one I learned how to interact with customers for the very first time. I worked as a cashier for the first time soon they needed help baking in the morning and there I was able to help the baker on occasion.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
manger micro managed breaks
A great environment to work!!
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 28, 2016
Relaxed yet busy, good starting wage. The other employees were friendly and assisted you when needed, the bosses were easy to get along with.The work day was ever changing due to the days of the week which made for an interesting place to work!!
Working at Old Country Buffet
HOSPITALITY (SERVICE) MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYSeptember 2, 2016
Old Country Buffet in Bay Shore used to be a great place to work at. Currently the store is closing down, September 2016 leaving a lot of us out of work. During the years I've worked here I have learned that hard work pays off. All of the employees here treat each other like family which has to be my favorite part of working here.
Pros
Free meals
productive and fun work space
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bell, CADecember 9, 2016
a great typical day would be reaching our goals. always good to be a leader. Fun coworkers. the hardest thing about a part time is not being able to pay my bills, the most enjoyable is that i have more family time.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Hard, yet rewarding place to work and dine.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 15, 2016
It a great place for friends and love one's to come together for many occasions. The food is well presented and they are always creating new ideas to drive customers. If you are looking for a a good time and a delicious meal, stop at your nearest Old Country Buffet.
Relaxed workplace
Line Server/Baker (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAJanuary 8, 2017
On non-busy days we keep ourselves busy but we also use that time to get closer with each other, and with the customers. We all have a very close relationship with each other. Management is amazing and they care for the employees deeply.
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Associate General Manager (Former Employee) –  Burton, MIAugust 10, 2016
The management team worked well together to have a successful restaurant. Although the GM was very demanding, you knew where you stood with her and she was very good at sharing her knowledge. She taught me how to decrease customer complaints without giving free stuff away. She also was very good at teaching us how to cut food costs but not food quality. The down side to this position was the hours. We worked most weekends and every holiday. There was not a lot of time for family. That is the reason I left.
Pros
close to home
Cons
worked every holiday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buffets Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9