Buffets Inc Employee Reviews in United States

No life outside of work and no appreciation of efforts
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Crystal, MNFebruary 25, 2016
Company does not care about you and your life outside of the workplace. It is like working on a plantation. They work you hard and them expect you to work you days off to accomplish which ever objective is important to upper management at the time

Benefits were ok to start with but when the company was sold to Food Management Partners it went down quickly. They were only concerned with the almighty $$$.

All accomplishments were swept under the rug and cared about themselves and their life.
Pros
Free meals for management
Cons
long hours and no appreciation
Great atmosphere, productivity and work ethic within workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MNFebruary 6, 2016
All staff and management were goal oriented with our main priority being guest satisfaction. As the General Manager, training was a part of the daily culture. We were always making sure that our current employee's and new employee's stayed consistently driven, and achieving our company standards. My crew worked exceptionally well as a team, and with seeing very little turn over, stayed together for many years. Like any other business, it had it's challenging moments, but they were few and far between. Overall, I enjoyed my position and the family that formed between my team, as well as our guests.
Once was a wonderful job
Hostess, Cashier, kids night Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALJanuary 1, 2016
On a typical summer afternoon we would be absolutely slammed, with faces from all over the country. With the right management it's great to work there. For the most part the guests are always friendly and polite. It is a very laid back job, which if you stay for more than 2 years you might get a raise.
Pros
Got paid to do nothing. (Not a Pro to me)
Cons
Rare breaks, No free lunch, unfair scheduling
go from entry level to upper management if desired
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 21, 2015
This was a great company when it started ! I found that it had great Mentors to learn from , gave opportunity for all levels of employment if desired. It changed my life completely by teaching skills that were needed , empowering you as a professional with guidance and support . I can't say enough about the opportunities it gave me when as a employee you are driven and committed they gave back!
Pros
mentors who care - steady pay increase for performance, training structure room for advancement, great benefits
Cons
changed directions with focus- management structure changed -leadership & training shifted
horrible
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNFebruary 19, 2016
this place didn't care about their employees not one bit. took me 2 months to get them to give me the raise they had promised. They didn't care about anything that was going on with the managers and that personal lives didn't matter. have two young kids you sometimes have to take a day. Glad this place closed in the twin cities!
Pros
Cons
everything
Productive and steady work place with great coworkers.
PREP COOK (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 29, 2016
Typical day at work was come in, check inventory from the day before and prioritize the items from what needed to be done first to the items that could be done last. The job consisted of prepping the food to be cooked and preparing the salads, fruits, and as well as taking the cooked trays out to the line to be placed for customers to enjoy. The management was great, they worked with their employees rather than just standing around or sitting in their office. My coworkers were great, made some friendships throughout the years everyone got along, just an all around nice place to be.
Enjoyed meeting new people everyday
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is making sure all employees are aware of the business needs and making sure each and every guest is happy and satisfied. I've learned that nothing matters more than the guest. I feel that management is one of the most exciting and rewarding jobs available. I make sure to interact with my co-workers creating a home felt environment. The one and only hard part of the job is going home for the day, I want to be there to assist in every way possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing happy guest and returning guest that enjoyed their first visit.
Pros
seeing my team be successful
Cons
Having team turn over
very tight and willing to help out (staff/crew members)
Production Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Go in to work at 9:00 am and believe me everyday is a new challenge. Management is always on the move to open the doors on time and prepared to make the necessary changes in the day. No day is the same you never know if it'll be easy slow day or fast short staffed day. My co-workers i know did their best but most new workers were horribly trained and thrown into random positions that did not fit them. Hardest part of the job was working alone in the back trying to prep for opening, lunch and dinner (not to mention attempt to make enough to last for the next day). it was hard they didn't really help sometimes.
Pros
Free lunch, positive co-workers, fun and friendly environment
Cons
very low staffed, low pay
Productive work Place, very fast paced.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 1, 2016
A typical day at work was, getting right to work, always busy. Had to stay ahead or would fall behind quick. What I learned from management to use your time wisely. My co-workers were the best part of the job very helpful when needed. The hardest part of the job was Sundays Lunch and dinner lines were out the door until closing. The most enjoyable time was seeing the smiles on customers faces when leaving, and the compliments they left.
Fun and exciting!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 10, 2016
Company has great benefits along with great job advancement! I have been with the company for three years now and would recommend it for anyone who loves a challenge and a fast paced environment!
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Very long days
Good people, Bad practices.
COOK (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 29, 2015
Overall the job itself wasn't that difficult, though all jobs have their moments. The reason for such a negative review are the business' practices. For example; not enough workers staffed on any particular day, then requiring the other workers to fill in for those positions with no additional pay or support from the upper management team.

Another unfortunate aspect is the company's unwillingness to staff its employees for anything over 30 hours. This allows the company to skip out on any benefits. Coupled with the minimum wage it pays its employees save management, the earnings are not enough to live on.

On the lighter side, many of the staff at the particular location I worked at were good people who did their best to make a good name for the company. While there are people as kind as that with the company, I have hope it can change its poor ways.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed and overworked. no benefits (only management is allowed more than 30 hours a week)
Great place to work for entry level food industry experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILSeptember 17, 2015
If you want to know what the food industry is like, start here. The downside is there really isn't any advancement positions available. They pay minimum wage and do not give raises unless you practically beg. They mandatory holidays, as most places do, but do not give any additional pay since it is considered a normal business day. No insurance, sick days, or vacation days no matter how long you work here.
Pros
Short business hours 11-9 most days, 8-9 weekends
Cons
no breaks, no healthcare, no sick days, no vacation days and no raise in pay
Being able to touch guest by having good food
Albany Georgia, Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 16, 2016
Gathering all the correct number to make production call for the food
Setting up the area of focus for the management team for the day
Having meeting with team member on focus of the day
Not having control on what going out on the bar
Being able talk with the guest and having the guest to become repeat guest to the restaurant
Pros
able to schedule day off to have time with family
Cons
working 60 to 65 hour a week
Good home comfort food, greeted with a sincere smile.
Server (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 27, 2015
I love working here. Once I start on the floor everything from home leaves me and I shine bright like a shooting star on a clear night. I care about every table I greet and would assist them with directions, advice or jokes to make them more comfortable. My co-workers are friendly and the management listens genuinely. It doesn't even feel like work to me, that's the crazy part. When I clock off and head to my car, my spirits are lifted and mood elevated nothing can bother me. I'm really thankful that I got hired and mention to my boss appreciation.
Lineserver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 20, 2016
It's a great place to work. You never really know if it will be fast pace or slow that day but there is always something to do. The management team was a great team to work with. Very understanding and helpful. The hardest part of the job is commutation. Either its with employees/ers or even with customers.
fun workplace
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 22, 2015
Hometown Buffet is family oriented. The supervisors were understanding and enjoyed interacting with all of the coworkers. Sometimes keeping up with the customers and the amount of food needed to be pushed out sometimes was difficult. I learned no matter how swamped you feel or how impossible something may seem if you just keep at it eventually it will be accomplished.
Pros
co workers, work place, job advancement, health benefits
Cons
turn overs in management, lay offs
Diverse, new and interesting people to meet everyday.
Service assistent (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COMay 3, 2016
Country Buffet was a mediocre steady job. I went to work everyday knowing exactly what to expect, clean tables, sweep the floors, take peoples plates, etc. The best part of my job was meeting new and interesting consumers everyday. The management was not very good, this being because we got payed $5 an hour plus tips which was ok, but then after 8 o'clock when the restaurant would be closed we would still get payed $5 per hour no tips and we hard to do lots of work for example, cleaning the tables, sweeping/vaccuming the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the beverage bar, restocking the table settings,bathrooms and beverage bar and taking our cart of dishes to the back and then mopping my cart area (all this work was done by one to two people throughout the entire restaurant). My co-workers were nice and nice people to work with. The hardest part of my job was all the work that hard to be done by one person plus low wages.
Pros
good tips
Cons
no healthcare, low wages, bad management, lots of work
Feeding america's most populated areas
Kitchen Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2016
Working in the restaurant business is very easy if you have an attitude that can embrace various groups of people. A typical day will begin with brunch and lead into a busy afternoon and evening of hungry customers. I learned to cook different meals and how to prepare an area for making food that will taste exquisite. The hardest part of the job was leaving because I enjoy making others happy, and many people are happy when they have great food to eat. The most enjoyable part of this job was the comradery of the staff.
Pros
Good food
Cons
irritable customers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN 55311March 25, 2016
Loved my work, great atmosphere, lot of extra hours to pick up if you are willing to do different job, not paid enough. Management was always changing rules and constantly in office.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
not paid enough
Hospitality Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 2, 2016
Days were always busy , learned a lot about the German culture . Co workers worked as a team pitched in wherever there was a need. Hardest was learning the language .
Pros
Productive Great Healthcare
Cons
16 hour days