Buffets Inc Employee Reviews

Good people, Bad practices.
COOK (Former Employee), Merced, CAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Good people.
Cons: Short breaks, understaffed and overworked. no benefits (only management is allowed more than 30 hours a week)
Overall the job itself wasn't that difficult, though all jobs have their moments. The reason for such a negative review are the business' practices. For example; not enough workers staffed on any particular day, then requiring the other workers to fill in for those positions with no additional pay or support from the upper management team.

Another unfortunate aspect is the company's unwillingness to staff its employees for anything over 30 hours. This allows the company to skip out on any benefits. Coupled with the minimum wage it pays its employees save management, the earnings are not enough to live on.

On the lighter side, many of the staff at the particular location I worked at were good people who did their best to make a good name for the company. While there are people as kind as that with the company, I have hope it can change its poor ways.
salad preparer
Salad Preparer (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 28, 2015
advanced in duties, reduced lunches, nice people, not a difficult distance. No job advancement with time low enthusiasm as well. There was a struggle in the business.
Fast paced and Comfortable Work Enviroment
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Discounts, Tips
The Management and employees at Hometown Buffet are like a family, that is the best way to describe it. Not only are all of the employees like a family but this restaurant has a lot of regulars and they also become like family to some of the employees, which for me I really loved. Typically every day here was the same the only things that would change sometimes was the menus but it is 75% of the time fast paced which keeps it exciting! On occasions you will get your grumpy guest that just have a million and one complaints which can really be hard but having a team that will back you up and keep you standing tall makes it easier!
Awesome place to work if you have people skills.
Cashier/Host/Waiter/Cook (Former Employee), Middletown, OHAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Acquiring skills that you will have for the rest of your life.
Cons: Not certain if this business will be around forever.
I miss working at this place. This was my very first job and I learned many responsibilities like customer service and multitasking. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, management, and customers.
pretty good
Baker (Former Employee), ChinoAugust 11, 2015
The work was good everyone eas friendly and made sure i was ok the first few days, the only problem i would say was not enough hours for me.
good customer experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2015
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: co workers had no work ethic
Clock in. make sure the cash register was functioning properly, check the bathrooms and cleanliness of the entry way greeted customers as they entered the building, handled money and made sure the big parties were setup. Hardest part of the job was making sure my co workers were doing their jobs enjoyable part was customer satisfaction
Unethical
Carver (Current Employee), Downey, CAAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: No paid vacation, no sick leave, no paid time off, no benefits.
I've been working at Hometown Buffet for over a year and I've experienced a lot of unethical activity. Management is lazy and sometimes very irresponsible. The job lacks thorough training and most things you have to learn on your own or from another coworker.
High paid help
General Manager (Current Employee), Forsyth, ILAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Family restaurant. We have good employees. We close at a reasonable time.
Cons: Labor expectations are unrealistic.
The managers are high paid help. We write a schedule geared to taking care of guests and keeping the restaurant clean, and then have to chop it by 1/3. We then have to finish the week using less hours than what we scheduled. The company wonders why guests aren't being taken care of, and the restaurants ger dirty...well, in order to accomplish the labor goals, the managers have to step in an d become the cook, or the prep or baker, and sometimes do one of those jobs and be a line server as well. Managers cannot manage because they have cut the hourly labor and have to fill those positions.
it was easy
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Greeneville, TNJuly 29, 2015
I loved this job more than any other job I had. I cook a lot of deferent things and learn a lot out of working for this company.
Family environment
Community Representative/Server (Former Employee), Middletown, OHJuly 28, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no health benefits for me
Looking forward to go and be at work. Everyone helped each other out, in order to run the restaurant swiftly. Thursday Nights were our Family Nights and we always had a house full. Our Managers were fair, empathetic and friendly with the employees.
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Milford, CTJuly 27, 2015
 Responsible for keeping kitchen sterilized.
 Wash and dried dishes and silverware.
 Keeping floors swept and moped at all times at end of shift.
Part time
Cashier (Former Employee), Gardena, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Good tips
This was my first job. Having a job in High School was great, I was able to pay for my prom and graduation. It was part-time which was good for me at the time.
They're defunct now
Lineserver/Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Westland, MIJuly 19, 2015
One the franchise level, management and personnel were professional and competent. But the parent company filed bankruptcy in 2012 so I suppose that competency didn't reach the top.
Geat place to work with little supervision.
Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Hiram, GAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: $4.00 lunch
Cons: only part time
I was trained well then was able to adapt the training to make the job easier. I learned how to cut meat properly and to maintain a proper meat cooler. All my co-workers worked very well as a team. I loved most about the job that I didn't have someone watching over my shoulder all the time. I was expected to do my job to the best I can and went beound that.
I like to work with others
customer Service- shift manager (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no breaks
Responsible,Honest,productive,punctual Person.
Work hard with or without supervision.
I am willing to learn.
I like to share with the co-workers.
I work safely.
Productive work environment
Server (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 12, 2015
I enjoyed serving food to guests that came & ate with us. I learned hospitality. The hardest part of this job was cleaning up after kids.
Welcome to our fun and great resturant
Server/Lineserver (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAJuly 11, 2015
A typical day at hometown is always fun, you get to know the customer and have regulars come in just to see you and injoy the great food.
Good Place to work
Busser/Server (Former Employee), Goshen, INJuly 10, 2015
Pros: people, management, free food
Cons: low hours, not paid enough, not enough workers
I loved working with the public, fellow workers, the managers I had were awesome. It was hard to leave when the store was closed due to Rent being to high when lease came up for renewal.
n/a
dishwasher/janitor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 4, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: the building shut down permently
washed dishes
management was ok
my co workers didn't speak english the hardest part was working with my co workers the most enjoyable part was it was a buffet
Good Job
Line Server (Former Employee), Pueblo, COJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: Pay
It was a good place to work to get me through High School. The management was good and they made it enjoyable to work. Typical day at work was filling the hot, salad, and desert bars.