Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

Awesome job to work at if you love kids.
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJuly 24, 2017
I loved my job, to bad I had to leave for college! This is a wonderful place to work and the manger is very friendly and always keep you smiling never a dull moment.
Pros
Awesome place to work
Amazing environment
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 21, 2017
Great place to build work experience and a fun environment to work in. Amazing coworkers and very understanding management when it comes to scheduling and employee needs.
Poor Hours
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2017
I would never suggest working at a BAB unless you were in high school. It's a good job for people still in school only because you get no hours. At the one I worked at, you were required to take a break if you worked longer than five hours; they would cut shifts to ensure no one worked over five hours, therefore they wouldn't have to give a break. They also promised at least ten hour work weeks, and almost all of us are working 3-8 hour weeks.

They also aren't allowed to fire people at the one near here (unless something dire happens like yelling at a child), so they told me they "cut their hours until they take the hint and leave" which seems like poor business, but I know little about how all of that works, so you can take this with a grain of salt!

Lastly, unless you are EXCELLENT at your job, you're gonna get even less hours than normal. I made a few mistakes in the beginning because this was the first job I'd ever worked and I was trying to gain a grasp on several things at once, and suddenly I was working three hour weeks. This is on me, not them, but management also didn't offer tips on how I could better myself and gain more hours, I was trying my best and got no complaints, but still got few hours. Your hours are going to be VERY performance based, and you're going to get run over if you make a couple mistakes, I have no idea if other BAB workshops are like that, but I've seen it mentioned, so perhaps it's a common thing.

It's a fun job, no denying it can be cool! And these issues may not be the same everywhere, but just be warned it's a possibility so you
  more... won't feel bad when you get almost no hours. I'm a teenager, and this appears to be mostly a job for teens who they think don't need a lot of hours.  less
Pros
Friendly people, not too complicated work
Cons
Almost no hours, petty firing system, no one discusses or helps out with mistakes
Very productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed interacting with the children the most. The work environment is very enjoyable and I learn something new everyday. My manager is so lovely and makes it a joy to come to work.
Awesome! (If you have another job!)
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 14, 2017
I love working here!
The opportunity for advancement is good as long as you're a dedicated worker and you care about what you are doing. Since the hours for bear builders are slim, your goal is to have another job to balance your bills and lifestyle. It doesn't give you all the money you need, but with experience at the job and yearly evaluations the room to grow for benefits, hours, etc. is big. You just have to like the job and be willing to contribute positively to the culture!
I loved the children
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 13, 2017
I loved being there, I experienced a lot of things that helped me learn and prepare for future employment. I made a lot of friends, celebrated parties with several people. Management was so sweet I still speak to a few managers to this day.
Pros
Happy, Considerate, Easy Going
Cons
Lack of Pay
Fun upbeat workplace
Bear builder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 9, 2017
Typical work days can be slow or fast paced depending on the season and day. You learn the essential retail skills plus great customer service skills. The management is amazing and very willing to work with schedules.
Overall an amazing company!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 4, 2017
Guest satisfaction was easy when you're having fun with your guests while doing your job! Hardest part about the job was saying good bye at the end of every guest interaction. I learned how to do suggestive selling without feeling like you were pressuring your guest to buy. Amazing company and job!
Pros
Making so many people smile everyday.
Cons
Not being able to spend more time with every guest because they had to leave :)
Fun place to work
Sales Associate/Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 26, 2017
The other employees are very nice. The manager is super sweet. Stuffing bears was the best part. The kids love the experience. Everything is very hands on.
it was a short but enjoyable time
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 22, 2017
I enjoyed working at Build-A-Bear Workshop and the interaction with the children. In my time working there I learned a great deal of patience and what a love I have for seeing little kids smile. The management could have used some improvement I really didn't feel as if the best interest of the employees were a priority when it came to management. The hardest part of the job was leaving when the holiday season was over and my most enjoyable experience was always seeing the children happy.
stuffed animals and wardrobe
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 22, 2017
Working at Build-a-Bear is a great opportunity for someone starting off in the minimum wage work environment. It will not pay for your bills but will rather guarantee some extra cash in your pocket biweekly. Hours are pretty flexible but may vary upon location. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see so many children smile.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
short salary
Fun place to work, happy atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 18, 2017
Great place to work, it's fun, and if you like kids, it's a great starter job. I had problems with the management, they were not the best fit for the job. but the company itself it great.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  National Harbor, MDJune 16, 2017
Positive job to have! Since working here, I have really been able to develop my talent and skills, all with the help of amazing staff and management team.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 15, 2017
Build a bear is great first job and a great job to have while you are just starting college. It teaches you leadership skills and how to interact with customers while still having fun. I highly recommend it as a first job or a job to have when you are first starting college.
fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 14, 2017
Build-A-Bear Workshop is a great part-time job while I was still in school. It was rated as top 100 places to work 2 years in a row. The atmosphere is great and the kids are worth it. Some days are busy and hectic, but I enjoyed it.
Pros
great team
Cons
not a career job
Poor management
Part-time Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 13, 2017
I started at Build a Bear under a wonderful store manager, but very soon after that she was presented with a better job opportunity and was replaced with a new manager. The new store manager immediately made cuts to our staff, terminating at least five people without warning, and changed many of our store policies. This resulted in shorter hours and less revenue for the store. I'm sure this experience was not common, as Build a Bear itself is a wonderful company. The main issue I had was with the change in management of this particular store.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
very little hours, minimum wage
Fun job
Stuffer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 9, 2017
A wonderful company to work for. Very laid back, and most of the customers you get will be pleasant to interact with. The only downside, and a major one at that, is besides the holidays this job provides you with very few hours.
Pros
Nice customers and coworkers, laid back, fun job
Cons
Not many hours
Productive and fun workplace!
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCJune 6, 2017
Build-A-Bear is an experience first company that instructs and encourages their employees to make the workplace enjoyable for children of all ages, while bringing new and exciting products and events to your weekly life.
Fun-Filled Job/Love of Kids
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MD 20745June 2, 2017
Build-A-Bear is a very positive, energetic, and fun-filled job, You are constantly on your feet but it is much fun! You will enjoy your fellow employees and the presence of the children. The work environment if great.
Pros
Nice Break Time
Cons
Not much Benefits
Extremely enjoyable work atmosphere.
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed working for Build A Bear greatly. Not only was the job itself fun, but the people I worked with made it easy to be excited about work. Working at Build A Bear was like a family. Everyone was supportive of each other and always willing to help one another. The only difficult part of the job was dealing with the aggravated parents or the children whose parents were not paying attention. Other than this, the job was extremely fun. I was able to make kids' days everyday. Whether I was greeting the family at the front of the store and showing them all the bears there were to choose from, or working the cash register and getting their bears ready to take home, It never failed to put a smile on the child's face.
Pros
Upbeat work environment, fun atmosphere
Cons
No healthcare benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Build-A-Bear Workshop. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3