Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

Seem like it would be a fun place to work......
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2016
I have worked here for a little over six months and I am desperately trying to find a new job somewhere else....literally anywhere else. This has to be the most stressful job that I have ever had. given that it is retail, that is not even that bad part about it. There is a lot of favoritism which is everywhere, but when you don't really care how the employees get home and schedule them for hours that suck, that is not right when there are other people that could be there and still be able to get home.
Pros
discount on bears
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE!
Discriminates Against Older Employess
Friend of Employee (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 25, 2016
If your older than 40... Don't even bother. This company has been replacing older employees with 20 yr olds. Older employees don't seem to fit the company's "corporate image"...It seems that the company's likes to toot their own horn about "diversity", but it seems they don't like racial diversity or older employees...
Pros
Great "regular staff" a.k.a. Bear Builders
Cons
Upper management that discriminates...
Depends on Location
Bear Builder Associate/Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 27, 2016
This can be a fabulous job or absolutely opposite. It all depends on where you are and the management there in.

The management is changing. If you are not part of the "group" you will be miserable...the "team" will make sure you are so. If you can fit in, then you'll have a great time till things change or you tick off the lead manager. This is very easy to do and you will not know which mood she will be in until she is there. This can make for a very stressful position to be in.
Pros
Windows to see outside
Cons
very cliquish if you aren't part of the group you don't matter
Productive, fun, and organized place to work at with exceptional management.
BEAR BUILDER (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLSeptember 11, 2016
No matter what day it was, the best part is you're always connecting with customers and constantly doing something productive. If you're not organizing the store's displays, you're welcoming customers in with your inviting smile and talking to them to see what you can do to help them, or just get to know them and see what they like so you can offer something they might enjoy for next time. Working with the managers I had was also apart of the good experience because there was constant communication and good energy being passed on to each of the employees. The most challenging part for me, however, was leading a party of small kids, mainly because it was hard to keep their attention for a long time, but it was still fun to do.
Pros
good energy, effective criticism, good work environment
Cons
short hours, low pay
Positive Work Environment
Sales Associate/Tool Kit Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYJune 2, 2016
It is a very nice place to work, it's very fun.
A typical day is very slow, during the week, and picks up during the weekend.
Co-workers are usually friendly.
Hardest part of the job is when guests aren't very nice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy going job, fun
Cons
Sometimes slow moving, prices are alittle high, hard to move up in company
New Experiences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIMay 10, 2016
This job was all about new experiences. Such as becoming a party leader, at first it was a terrifying job but my coworkers and managers all encouraged me. They gave me the ability to put the effort on hard tasks, such as becoming party leader where you are responsible for the enjoyment and well being of many kids. It's a place where I keep learning how to better myself and have fun while learning.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Hours are short.
Fun work environment with great store culture
Customer Service Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 9, 2016
Buildabear Workshop is a really fun place to work and it you can always count on everyone there being in a good mood. The hardest part of the job was trying to convince the parents to purchase a certain item, since it can be costly to shop here.
Fun work environment - coworkers and customers
Associate (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COMay 10, 2016
I loved working for Build-A-Bear! My managers were fun to be around without being too lax about authority. I worked there for 2 years and would have been promoted to assistant manager if I didn't decide to go to college out of state. It was fun to be around little kids, because you knew that this was going to be the highlight of their day. Shifts were generally 3-6 hours depending on the day of the week. Christmas and summer are by far the busiest, but during the school day it gets unbearably slow (get it? unBEARably? lol). Many people are hired seasonally for these times, but if you do a good job you might be kept on - I was. Discount is 30% and goes up to 50% during holiday, which is great for Christmas presents.
Pros
Discount, fun, can be laid-back or fast paced
Cons
Breaks only for 5+ hour shifts, high turnover, rare pay increase
Most satisfying job to work at.
Sales Associate and Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 19, 2016
This job is all satisfaction with just the fact that everyday me and my coworkers make a child's day just by making a teddybear. Even the slightest smile can make a child smile, which in terms makes my day. My co-workers and management are all amazing people, they are the most fun, happy, and good hearted people I have had the pleasure o working with these past 3 years. The only thing that may seem hard at first is doing parties but after you have done a few they are cake.
Pros
happy fun environment
Cons
Fun work environment working with children
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Victor, NYAugust 2, 2016
Hours are inconsistent and management is difficult while co workers and the culture are very enjoyable. Discount is reasonable. No prospects of advancement expected after one year.
Pros
discount, enjoyable
Cons
no breaks, management is difficult, hour fluctuate
Unforgetable Job Experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 12, 2016
I worked here during my high school and college undergraduate years. It really helped me out of my shell in my personal and professional life. You have to be there for the customers and guests who visit the store for a special experience, but the guests and children taught me a lot about myself. Christmas & Valentines Day are madness but still fun. The company really cares about it's employees and guests.
Excellent place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 3, 2016
I loved working at Build-A-Bear! The staff and the management were always professional, yet friendly. I felt like they were a second family. They are very understanding people, and work well wit your school schedule. The customers also made the experience fun. I was sad to leave, but I was attending college in a different state, so I had to leave. :(
A typical day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 21, 2016
You come in contact with a variety of people but mostly young children and their parents. Majority of the time it is upbeat and the customers are excited to be in the store. Your job is to help make that experience magical for them in a way that they want to come back.
Fun and Memorable
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 5, 2016
I loved working at Build A Bear. It was such a fun and loving environment. Everyone is always happy and ready to have fun. The job is even more fun and exciting with the customers who are just as engaged in the stores process as the workers are. I had great co-workers. Everyone was very welcoming and always gave you tips on how to be a better worker. I think the hardest part of the job is trying to get people to be as happy and engaged as you are so you have to keep talking to and entertaining them even if they come off as they don't want to be bothered. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people create a friend that expresses who they are as a person.
Pros
Very lenient and understanding with your personal life.
Cons
Hourly pay could be more than offered.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJuly 7, 2016
Never have I had more fun during work. Helping youngsters and adults create their bear friends was gratifying. Would definitely recommend this company for anyone looking for a first time job and customer service experience.
fun working evironment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 1, 2016
I greet customer and provide a beary awesome experience for them. I help them choose their special friend and bring it to life. I stuff bears, bunnies, My Little Ponies, Minions, etc. I also work the register, where more customer service comes into play. The management team at Build-a-Bear Workshop is very good. The managers that I worked with are very communicative and make the work environment a great place to be. Seeing the smile on the children's and even adult's faces is definitely what makes the job that much better.
Fun place
Cashier, bear builder (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 27, 2016
Fun place but gave me few hours. I would still recommend working there if you love kids. Lovely people and lovely kids . if you want a part time job then go for it definitely.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, location
Cons
Few hours
Lots of fun
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMay 6, 2016
I worked there over a year! It was lots of fun! My coworkers were awesome! Such a family! However, there was no chance of advancement. I would have stayed longer if I had been given the opportunity to advance. 4-9 hours a week was not enough to go on.
Pros
FUN! Work with kids!
Cons
Very few hours
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 22, 2016
I enjoyed working here so much I learned a lot from the people I worked with. It's an amazing company and there's plenty of room to move up within the company
Pros
Everything !
Cons
None at all
Wonderful Staff and Community
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOApril 6, 2016
I have worked there for four years and not a days goes by that I don't regret it. Through Build A Bear I learned strong communication skills, leadership skills, organization skills, and a hardworking and friendly spirit. The management has always been helpful and pushed me to do my best. The coworkers have always been friendly and hard-working and if there is a worker that doesn't live up to expectations, it is handled in a respectful and caring manner. The hardest part of the job would be the long hours, but even then they always make sure we get breaks when needed. I think the most enjoyable part of the job would be the satisfaction you feel when you make someone's day. I have always enjoyed listening to the families talk about how much they love Build A Bear or even just how much fun they are having that day. Nothing makes me feel more loved when I get a hug from a child or a thank you from an adult who appreciates the help I provided,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Build-A-Bear Workshop. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3