Build.com Employee Reviews

They have the golden goose... Don't loose it!!!
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAApril 15, 2016
This job has an amazing work culture (very startup-like even if they are private with 200+ employees). The work life balance is pretty good and the moral is generally great (a big plus). Unfortunately, unless you are in the inner circle of friends for the executive team, there's little chance of advancement. The pay is good for Chico, Ca but is not industry competitive... For this reason, Build.com has a hard time attracting external talent (executives, developers, etc). Also the executive focus is very short term so expect constant directional change.
Pros
Great culture, great location (Chico, Ca)
Cons
Limited growth opportunities, pay is not competitive for the industry, little to no executive vision communicated
Excellent Company
Finance Intern (Current Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 15, 2015
Absolutely great company to work for. This business cares about their employees and wants what is best for them. They actively seek to reward the best people.
Good place to work no job security
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAAugust 12, 2015
If you overachieve and work your sometimes 50 hours a week you are rewarded well. If you can not meet the ever changing and rapidly increasing expectations and goals you will be let go!
A great place to work, especially post college.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 29, 2015
Build.com was one of the greatest places to work. It still amazes me to this day that more people around the nation do not know about it. I heard of the company from the CEO coming to lecture at my college and decided it would be a great place to start my career.

I started as a sales rep, but was quickly able to advance to run my own section of the marketing team within a year of being there. It was not just me who advanced either. Many of my college friends who also worked there garnered promotions through their hard work, as well as a large portion of my new hire class.

HR works hard to keep things light and fun. The cost of living in Chico is a great benefit too. It was sad for me to leave the company, but it was time for the next adventure. I highly recommend working for Build.com.
Pros
Tons of support to grow and advance if you reach out. Great people. Tons of fun events. Work hard, play hard definitely rings true.
Cons
Very cliquey at times. Takes a lot of convincing to start getting raises. Taking 'Code Green' calls.
good
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Chico CAApril 1, 2015
good times working at build but needed a change and wanted to get degree, so i went back to school. Didn't pay well but I maintained top sales records
Productive working place
Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2015
-work on assigned individual and team projects, also responsible for administrative tasks
-have more understanding on e-commerce business; got familiar with varieties of home improving categories and sub-categories products.
-the co-workers are very easy going, efficiently communicate each other
- to understand the millions kinds of home improvement products hierarchy ; to understand the relational databasese
- my data analysis work can contribute to the company's business strategy planning and forecasting.
Pros
friendly working environment and nice company culture
Cons
long commute for me
Productive and fun environment with a ping pong table
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chico, CADecember 29, 2014
Build relationship with customers via phone, chat and email; Assist customers in their home improvement projects; Build client base, problem solve and provide world class service.

Learned Sales and customer service skills; how to manage large accounts while making sure that every customer no matter how large or small gets taken care of with world class service. Meet personal and team goals.

Had great co-workers who were always willing to assist with problems if they ever came up.

The hardest part of my job was sitting behind the computer all day because I like to be active.

The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the customers and co-workers.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Was not able to be very active since it is an online company
fun workplace
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chico, CADecember 3, 2014
Fun place to work and great starter jobs. Mornings can be early
Average employee age is 23, nepotism and ageism encouraged
Product Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chico, CANovember 2, 2014
A massive cube farm and a virtual panopticon for non-management employees. Lots of pressure to meet unrealistic and vague goals with a constant threat of termination. They encourage you to refer your friends and family for job openings, so there is a high level of nepotism. Very cliquish, with lots of stereotyping and discriminating against individuals, especially on the basis of their age. And instead of recruiting qualified personnel for management, they promote the incompetent and inexperienced. This company grew too big too fast and has some serious problems. But there is free organic fruit and coffee in a nice break room.
Pros
Very consumer oriented and focused on customer retention
Cons
Poor growth management, ageism and nepotism
Stressful place to work with little to no support or care.
Vendor Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chico, CADecember 19, 2013
This is a place to further those who want to work at not working. Finding ways to improve the ability to not work, while hindering the productivity of those who are willing to work hard.
Pros
Very Few
Cons
no job security, little advancement opportunity.
Stressful workplace, great pay/benefits
Sales Rep/ Customer Satisfaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMarch 21, 2013
-Typical Workday
Check -emails from customers, Answer product questions from all 13 websites, take inbound/outbound phone calls. Place orders, set up wire transfers.Took escalated calls from other reps whom couldn't handle the situation.

-What I learned
I sharpened my Sales and Customer Service Skills

-Co Workers
Great environment and the Co-workers were awesome

-Hardest part of the job
Was trying to get promoted to Pre sales, and trying to reach a monthly goal in sales of a 100,000 +

-Most enjoyable part of the job
Being able to talk to people from all over the world
Pros
free food vendors, great break room.
Cons
bad management, too much demand out of employees to make large amounts of money, not as much commission as one deserves
Work hard, Play hard
International Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chico, CaJanuary 16, 2013
Build.com is a great place to work if you like being treated like an adult in a corporate environment. I fully believe other companies could benefit from the same business model that Build.com uses
Pros
free snacks, would cater lunches once in a while
Cons
hard to advance in other directions in the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Build.com. Our community is ready to answer.

Build.com Reviews by Location