buildOn Employee Reviews

Such a prodigious environment and amazing colleagues to work with.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Waking up at seven a'clock to get to a service location at around eight or nine was a bit challenging, but after a while i got used to the hours. Our tasks would consist of different jobs every week. Whether it would be taking care of a child or spreading mulch on every tree in a park, we would all have fun as a whole. The best projects are unusually the ones that contain each of us in groups of five or less. Every time we have group projects with different colleagues it was always such a joy to talk to a diverse group of people, constantly learning new things about everyone. Though working with others was a great time, sometimes things get hectic and unorganized within a mass number of students. It would be tough obstacle to get through but in the end we get our job done and have fun doing it.
Pros
Free food, reliable colleagues. and great leadership
Cons
Unorganized at times.
Great place to keep kids out of trouble
Community Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 27, 2016
if you want your kid in the right place doing good things this is the best place to be they can bring friends and family.it was a great place to do work and at the same time learning. your helping yourself and the earth
Pros
overall great place
Very Good Place to Intern for Experience
Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 11, 2016
You are only needed if an employee needs assistance with office duties. It is an overall friendly environment, highly recommend.
Fun andgreat way to serve the community
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago. ILFebruary 14, 2015
BuildOn is a great way to volunteer you time and services to those in need doing just about anything. What I learned from volunteering is that even though you don't get money you do give hope and care to those you helped out and that does feel really good, no lie.
The people I volunteered with (Classmates) were fun to be around and made even boring projects fun and we always had good laughs.
The only hard part about volunteering to me is finding your way to the sites, but an easy google maps search will do the trick.
The most fun I had at BuildOn was fundraising for charity, you could sell just about anything as long you know people will buy it. Its all for a good cause, building schools in developing countries.
Pros
Usually free food, free fun if you bring your friends along, easy to make friends, depending on where you go you'll get free samples
Cons
You don't get money
We got to meet amazing people.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, ConnecticutOctober 1, 2014
This was not a job. I was a volunteer but we got to meet amazing people and do amazing things. We helped out people to try to make their days better.
Pros
We helped out people in need
Cons
There were no cons
Fun and welcoming
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 27, 2014
Nice enjoyable environment.It was fun making card for elder in the environment and also meeting new people every where you go.
a great way to spend free time
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 2, 2014
I had a lot of fun volunteering with buildOn and learned to use a lot of skills that I see I need currently, such as communication and patience.
Pros
free lunch, fun with friends, meeting new people.
Cons
long days sometimes
Gets you involved with your community
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 4, 2013
Fun to work with, really tries to make a difference in every aspect of the community. Opens up to anybody who likes to volunteer
Pros
Friends, experience, keeps kids off the streests
Cons
Only able to go on Trek once
Wonderful non-profit organization
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 19, 2013
BuildOn is a non-profit organization that offers volunteer services and also raises moneys to help build schools for the less fortunate countries.
Pros
Excellent experience
Cons
None at all
My day at buildOn
Fund Raiser (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2013
Most of the day was spent around Peers and colleagues discussing ways of fundraising,
Pros
it was an enjoyable and the days didnt feel like work because it was something new everyday
Cons
i have no cons
Great oppurtunity to work in the community at buildOn
Recreation Specialist (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 11, 2012
Didn't have many co-workers, worked in the community, with kids, and learning proper etiquette such as table manners, and manners in general. I learned how to work with children with all types of disabilities and conditions. The hardest part of the volunteer work is knowing how much energy and patience that has to be excerted all at once. The most enjoyable part of it is knowing its making a childs day, and offering a learning experience for us as well.
Pros
experience with special needs children, and other volunteer oppurtunities.
Cons
no cons
Volunteer work
YAC Leader (Former Employee) –  StamfordApril 21, 2012
I worked in nursing homes, with little kids and many others. I was a member since sophomore year. i was YAC leader meaning i planned events and stuff for the organiztion
Pros
work
Cons
less time
Amazing organization with amazing people!
Program and Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2012
buildOn breaks the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education. buildOn engages high school students in ongoing service, as well as going overseas to help build schools in developing countries.

I absolutely enjoy working at buildOn. The staff are fun and energetic, and not a day goes by without a laugh. Working with students throughout the week is incredible, and Saturdays are the icing on the cake when we get to complete various projects such as gardening, interacting with children, working with senior citizens, and much more!
Pros
great work/life balance, healthcare and retirement, the people, the mission, the students!
Cons
a lot of independent work