Bunker Hill Community College Employee Reviews

A very beneficial and practical opportunity
Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 11, 2015
After the adequate explanation of the subject by the professor for his students, I helped some students as a teacher assistant while they were working as groups, by simplifying some mathematical problems that they needed help with and made it easier for them to understand. Then I gave them the opportunity to try and find out the right way to solve the problem. After their attempts, they asked me to check their answer and the method they solve the problem with. I learned from the math professor the way that he simplifies the Math problems to the most basic concepts, so the students can understand it easily. I do like the math professor teaching approach, and I gained a wider understanding of different ways to solve math problems which I believe will help me in my future career as a teacher.

The hardest part of the job was, when I asked some students whom I tutored to, about their performance in math classes in the high school was, and each of them talked about his math classes experience, and how it was not interesting to him at all, which caused some gaps in their information about the subjects which caused difficulty in their understanding in the college topics.

The most enjoyable moment to me was,when one of the students that I helped in tutoring to review the midterm material, in order to re-take the math exam. He got a much better grade which is 75 rather than his old 36 from the first try, which made me so happy.
Pros
an excellent experience in education field.
Cons
it was short- term opportunity.
a community that helped me build up my passion for Math
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, MAMay 25, 2014
I enrolled to Bunker Hill Community College in Spring of 2011 and was determined to take a part time position as a Math tutor. I finished all the required math classes and immediately applied for a tutor position. The work environment at the Student Center was friendly with a motto "Student will only leave the center learning and not just for the sake of passing the class". I come from Ethiopia where math and science are crucial to enroll in any major. I learned I use a complete different method in solving problems and in some cases easier than the one used here. I found ways to combine the different methods and simplify it to students. I learned that mathematical problems can be solved in many ways not necessarily the one way taught in school when we were young. I also learned Statistic is the least favorite among students which I find strange since it involves less mathematics as opposed to a math class which a lot of people dread.
Pros
fun tutoring my peers and friends, free muffin (sometimes)
Cons
time fly's by while tutoring one student, having last minute help from student with little time to learn
A good place to teach programming languages (for example, C++)
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MassachusettsAugust 9, 2012
Bunker Hill Community College offers students a competent and affordable education. Their classrooms are well equipped, and the students are anxious to learn.
In addition to providing me with a chance to try teaching, it has kept my programming skills sharp, as I develop lab exercises and projects for the students to perform.
The department chairman, dean and office staff are all great people, and easy to work with. Other faculty members have also been welcoming to a new adjunct professor.
The hardest part of the job is coming up with good lab exercises and projects: they need to be relevant to the topics at hand, challenging and interesting.
The most rewarding part of the job is having students who really want to learn how to program. It is especially gratifying to watch a student who had difficulty at the beginning turn out to do pretty well by the end of the semester.
Pros
well equipped classrooms, great students.
Cons
this has been a part time position (so far).
There has a banquet from IRA and school and give the reward to each VITA
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2012
First at all, I really enjoy to be VITA at BHCC, it's most valueable experience for me to serve community. Each client that I serve has different situation, different background and different purpose, professional knowlege, accuracy and computer skill are require in this program. When the client criticise and not satisfy their tax return are small amount, I still need to be patient and smile to explain to them and continue to finish every case that I handle, I think that the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job was every conversation that I have with each client during the tax file, some client very open to share anything about themself or anything to me, I can said I learn a lot and enjoy a lot during the conversation, and even more, some client are very appreciate my job, and they want to pay me, I told them that is a free and that was a student's assignment that I need to complete, and after each tax file, I feel I very close with every client.
After all the tax file, we have banquet from IRA and school to give the award to each VITA.
Productive enviroment
Business/Economics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 25, 2014
Bunker Hill Community College offers a diverse population of students, faculty and staff. All who attend BHCC are there with a common goal, to create a better life through education. From the top down a sense of caring about student life on and off campus is a priority.
I just completed my Associates degree at BHCC. I couldn't of chosen a better school to accomplish this goal. The level of educators that work in the school are at the top of the food chain. I have been educated by professors from some of Boston's top Universities. Being an active member of the student body I was able to interact with students honing their skills to maximize their potential.

I learned through this diverse community that we all are trying to be better tomorrow than we were yesterday. We are a global community striving to connect personally and professionally to create equality for all.
Bunker Hill copy shop
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2012
I go in the machine is alreadt on and people are readyto mke copies of class work. I learn thatyou always have to be busy and if you have nothing to do than try to look for something to do. My coworkers was nice at sometime. As long as I work hard we got along great. The hardest part at working in the copy shop when busy it was very busy. There was very little help, and the demands were many. The most part I enjoy is coming home and knowing you put in a job well done.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
not a lot of held/employees
Artistic world
Art Gallery Monitor/Graphic Arts Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
I worked at the gallery as an intern and was not required to do too much. I opened and closed the art gallery and made sure the paintings were free of dust. I basically watched the gallery and posted upcoming events in the hallway of the school. There were no other co-workers. There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I was bale to relax and enjoy the quiet enviroment. The management was a great woman. She was a wonderful person.
Pros
relaxation
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJuly 1, 2015
a typical day at work, we would come in and do folders for new students coming into the college. I have learn how to be patient and treat people with respect. management was awesome, they give you the days that work best for you. the hard part about this job is when people are being rude, I had to stay positive, and be nice to them. the most enjoyable part about my job was the friends and people I met along the way.
adjunct teaching
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  boston, maJuly 17, 2013
compensation gives adjuncts a sense of little to no value.
no benefits - so teaching & culture comes without any support
managment - fully leveraged and paid & unable to assess properly those teaching
if offered classes; adjuncts unable to pass up on them & end up teaching 8-12 classes each semester to pay bills - barely. Leaves no time for life balance.
Pros
being in the classroom; discussions with students
Cons
no benefits, no job security, meager pay & no respect by peers of admin
Work Study manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2014
7-Eleven was a great company to work for i have no negative complaints about this job. staff and management were always positive and you get to know your customers which makes them feel welcomed and makes them want to come back to shop with you. if there was one thing i didn't like was being laid off because my store was going from corporate to a privately owned franchise.
Pros
positive staff and management, friendly customers
Awesome place to teach students from all over the world!!!
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Math and Science (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 28, 2013
Taught a variety of undergraduate math courses to a very diverse but extremely appreciative student body.

Bunker Hill Community College has been my favorite institution of higher learning.
Pros
gratitude from the students for me challenging them to do their very best in math education.
Cons
never any openings for full-time; worked as an adjunct instead.
I love my team
Female Soccer Team Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2013
I got a chance to communicate with many teammates from different countries: England, Norway and American. My coach was professional in his major. My captain quitely focuced on her job. My teammates had passion for their work. We did not think that playing soccer was a hobby, we considered it as a serious business. I learnt how to work as a team and how to satisfy myself for my team.
PERFECT!!!
Student Advisor/Registration (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 7, 2013
Typical day at work would be answering questions. I learned more great customer service skills. My coworkers were always willing to help. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to help someone. The most enjoyable part of the job would be knowing someones dream was soon to be fulfilled and it feels great knowing I had a part in doing so.
Great place to work at to
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 22, 2015
The best part of my job as a tutor was to see the excitement of students after receiving a grade for the exam we have studied for. Also, as a tutor it was really important to work as a team to approach math, science and engineering problems so that no student would leave the Academic Support Center without an answer.
Talk to college students and help them navigate through their portal and class selection
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MassachusettsDecember 30, 2014
You work right in the heart of the college, your job is to help new and existing college students navigate through the college website. Help them choose classes suited to their major and help them with their insurance as well as sending and receiving transcripts plus much more. You maybe required to give campus tours. Job is work study.
What I Learned at BHCC
Advising Center, Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 16, 2014
I truly enjoyed working here. I served many students, adults of all ages. It is great to work in a place where you see people from all walks of life, and are able to help them with something that can affect their future so greatly.
Fun workplace
Math, Economic, and Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2015
Meeting new people everyday and extremely busy during the midterm and final exam. The hardest part is working with a large group of student, with different subject, at the same time but the job thought me to be patience and give everybody the fair amount of time.
Peer tutor
COMPUTER SCIENCE TUTOR / PEER MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2013
At Bunker Hill I was part of the peer tutoring team for the school's STEM initiative. My main responsibilities involved helping students with understanding the material and helping them to prepare for exams.

Additionally I also stepped in to teach a few classes when necessary.
Enjoyed the educational culture
PURCHASING MANAGER/CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2015
*Approving purchase orders
*monitoring service contracts
*open door policy with management
*co-workers very helpful
*hardest part: people wanting services with out bidding
*enjoyable part: great cafeteria
Pros
Great cafeteria and book store discount
Cons
Trafiic jams
Fun place to work
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2013
Volunteer Income Tax is an internship by BHCC. under the supervision of the Internal revenue Service and the Massachusetts department of Revenue. It was a part of my study. I learned and assisted local resident and students prepare their Income tax returns

4.6