Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College United States Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the educational culture
PURCHASING MANAGER/CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great cafeteria and book store discount
Cons: Trafiic jams
*Approving purchase orders
*monitoring service contracts
*open door policy with management
*co-workers very helpful
*hardest part: people wanting services with out bidding
*enjoyable part: great cafeteria
A very beneficial and practical opportunity
Teacher assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: an excellent experience in education field.
Cons: it was short- term opportunity.
After the adequate explanation of the subject by the professor for his students, I helped some students as a teacher assistant while they were working as groups, by simplifying some mathematical problems that they needed help with and made it easier for them to understand. Then I gave them the opportunity to try and find out the right way to solve the problem. After their attempts, they asked me to check their answer and the method they solve the problem with. I learned from the math professor the way that he simplifies the Math problems to the most basic concepts, so the students can understand it easily. I do like the math professor teaching approach, and I gained a wider understanding of different ways to solve math problems which I believe will help me in my future career as a teacher.

The hardest part of the job was, when I asked some students whom I tutored to, about their performance in math classes in the high school was, and each of them talked about his math classes experience, and how it was not interesting to him at all, which caused some gaps in their information about the subjects which caused difficulty in their understanding in the college topics.

The most enjoyable moment to me was,when one of the students that I helped in tutoring to review the midterm material, in order to re-take the math exam. He got a much better grade which is 75 rather than his old 36 from the first try, which made me so happy.
Talk to college students and help them navigate through their portal and class selection
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MassachusettsDecember 30, 2014
You work right in the heart of the college, your job is to help new and existing college students navigate through the college website. Help them choose classes suited to their major and help them with their insurance as well as sending and receiving transcripts plus much more. You maybe required to give campus tours. Job is work study.
Work Study manager (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: positive staff and management, friendly customers
7-Eleven was a great company to work for i have no negative complaints about this job. staff and management were always positive and you get to know your customers which makes them feel welcomed and makes them want to come back to shop with you. if there was one thing i didn't like was being laid off because my store was going from corporate to a privately owned franchise.
Productive workplace with the focus on the students.
Volunteer Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 3, 2014
Somewhat typical office environment with often interactions with students.
Productive enviroment
Business/Economics Tutor (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAJune 25, 2014
Bunker Hill Community College offers a diverse population of students, faculty and staff. All who attend BHCC are there with a common goal, to create a better life through education. From the top down a sense of caring about student life on and off campus is a priority.
I just completed my Associates degree at BHCC. I couldn't of chosen a better school to accomplish this goal. The level of educators that work in the school are at the top of the food chain. I have been educated by professors from some of Boston's top Universities. Being an active member of the student body I was able to interact with students honing their skills to maximize their potential.

I learned through this diverse community that we all are trying to be better tomorrow than we were yesterday. We are a global community striving to connect personally and professionally to create equality for all.
What I Learned at BHCC
Advising Center, Clerk (Former Employee), Charlestown, MAJune 16, 2014
I truly enjoyed working here. I served many students, adults of all ages. It is great to work in a place where you see people from all walks of life, and are able to help them with something that can affect their future so greatly.
a community that helped me build up my passion for Math
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Charles Town, MAMay 25, 2014
Pros: fun tutoring my peers and friends, free muffin (sometimes)
Cons: time fly's by while tutoring one student, having last minute help from student with little time to learn
I enrolled to Bunker Hill Community College in Spring of 2011 and was determined to take a part time position as a Math tutor. I finished all the required math classes and immediately applied for a tutor position. The work environment at the Student Center was friendly with a motto "Student will only leave the center learning and not just for the sake of passing the class". I come from Ethiopia where math and science are crucial to enroll in any major. I learned I use a complete different method in solving problems and in some cases easier than the one used here. I found ways to combine the different methods and simplify it to students. I learned that mathematical problems can be solved in many ways not necessarily the one way taught in school when we were young. I also learned Statistic is the least favorite among students which I find strange since it involves less mathematics as opposed to a math class which a lot of people dread.
Excellent place to learn and grow.
Data Entry (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAFebruary 25, 2014
Bunker Hill Community College is an exceptional place to learn and grow for teachers, staff, and students.
Staff are caring and supportive esp. for students
Professor of ESL (Former Employee), Charlestown, MAJanuary 6, 2014
You have to visit BHCC to see for yourself what outstanding work is going on, in an environment of learning, trust, and sharing, with student support occurring at every turn, especially within their Learning Center.
Artistic world
Art Gallery Monitor/Graphic Arts Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
Pros: relaxation
I worked at the gallery as an intern and was not required to do too much. I opened and closed the art gallery and made sure the paintings were free of dust. I basically watched the gallery and posted upcoming events in the hallway of the school. There were no other co-workers. There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I was bale to relax and enjoy the quiet enviroment. The management was a great woman. She was a wonderful person.
Peer tutor
COMPUTER SCIENCE TUTOR / PEER MENTOR (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 21, 2013
At Bunker Hill I was part of the peer tutoring team for the school's STEM initiative. My main responsibilities involved helping students with understanding the material and helping them to prepare for exams.

Additionally I also stepped in to teach a few classes when necessary.
Love BHCC
French Tutor (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 21, 2013
Very nice environment. Love everything about the language lab in BHCC. High demand in tutoring. Coworkers are great to work with.
Fun place to work
Accounting Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 7, 2013
Volunteer Income Tax is an internship by BHCC. under the supervision of the Internal revenue Service and the Massachusetts department of Revenue. It was a part of my study. I learned and assisted local resident and students prepare their Income tax returns
One of the most diversities place to work
Administration Assistant (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours to work.
Cons: not a full time job.
I work at BHCC as a part-time, I have learned alot from here. Its the time to look for full time job. Especially, I am about to graduate.
Great Place to work
Helping Students
Assisting Dean
Excellent place to work!
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAJune 9, 2013
Pros: location
Very supportive and exciting place to work. Technology-focussed and great community based organizations!
I love my team
Female Soccer Team Member (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 5, 2013
I got a chance to communicate with many teammates from different countries: England, Norway and American. My coach was professional in his major. My captain quitely focuced on her job. My teammates had passion for their work. We did not think that playing soccer was a hobby, we considered it as a serious business. I learnt how to work as a team and how to satisfy myself for my team.
Awesome place to teach students from all over the world!!!
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Math and Science (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 28, 2013
Pros: gratitude from the students for me challenging them to do their very best in math education.
Cons: never any openings for full-time; worked as an adjunct instead.
Taught a variety of undergraduate math courses to a very diverse but extremely appreciative student body.

Bunker Hill Community College has been my favorite institution of higher learning.
Professor's Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Chelsea, MAApril 23, 2013
When I came into work, I always knew what I was supposed to do because the person I worked for was always very organized. Class always ran smoothly and so did our work days!