Bunker Hill Community College Employee Reviews

great
WorkStudy (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MANovember 22, 2015
due to the fact that i attend this school, working here was a regular day for me, i was very familiar with the people and familiar with Microsoft word.
a great experience
Assisting students (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2015
It was a very rewarding experience to work at this place. The only motive I stopped working there is because I graduated and move. excellent opportunities to grow and be promoted.
Pros
good environment and culture
Fun workplace
Math, Economic, and Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2015
Meeting new people everyday and extremely busy during the midterm and final exam. The hardest part is working with a large group of student, with different subject, at the same time but the job thought me to be patience and give everybody the fair amount of time.
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJuly 1, 2015
a typical day at work, we would come in and do folders for new students coming into the college. I have learn how to be patient and treat people with respect. management was awesome, they give you the days that work best for you. the hard part about this job is when people are being rude, I had to stay positive, and be nice to them. the most enjoyable part about my job was the friends and people I met along the way.
Great students, faculty and staff
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2015
extremely rewarding work with students, many who overcome enormous hurdles to succeed
making great strides to improve outdated technology infrastructure
Great place to work at to
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 22, 2015
The best part of my job as a tutor was to see the excitement of students after receiving a grade for the exam we have studied for. Also, as a tutor it was really important to work as a team to approach math, science and engineering problems so that no student would leave the Academic Support Center without an answer.
Enjoyed the educational culture
PURCHASING MANAGER/CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2015
*Approving purchase orders
*monitoring service contracts
*open door policy with management
*co-workers very helpful
*hardest part: people wanting services with out bidding
*enjoyable part: great cafeteria
Pros
Great cafeteria and book store discount
Cons
Trafiic jams
A very beneficial and practical opportunity
Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 11, 2015
After the adequate explanation of the subject by the professor for his students, I helped some students as a teacher assistant while they were working as groups, by simplifying some mathematical problems that they needed help with and made it easier for them to understand. Then I gave them the opportunity to try and find out the right way to solve the problem. After their attempts, they asked me to check their answer and the method they solve the problem with. I learned from the math professor the way that he simplifies the Math problems to the most basic concepts, so the students can understand it easily. I do like the math professor teaching approach, and I gained a wider understanding of different ways to solve math problems which I believe will help me in my future career as a teacher.

The hardest part of the job was, when I asked some students whom I tutored to, about their performance in math classes in the high school was, and each of them talked about his math classes experience, and how it was not interesting to him at all, which caused some gaps in their information about the subjects which caused difficulty in their understanding in the college topics.

The most enjoyable moment to me was,when one of the students that I helped in tutoring to review the midterm material, in order to re-take the math exam. He got a much better grade which is 75 rather than his old 36 from the first try, which made me so happy.
Pros
an excellent experience in education field.
Cons
it was short- term opportunity.
Talk to college students and help them navigate through their portal and class selection
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MassachusettsDecember 30, 2014
You work right in the heart of the college, your job is to help new and existing college students navigate through the college website. Help them choose classes suited to their major and help them with their insurance as well as sending and receiving transcripts plus much more. You maybe required to give campus tours. Job is work study.
Work Study manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2014
7-Eleven was a great company to work for i have no negative complaints about this job. staff and management were always positive and you get to know your customers which makes them feel welcomed and makes them want to come back to shop with you. if there was one thing i didn't like was being laid off because my store was going from corporate to a privately owned franchise.
Pros
positive staff and management, friendly customers
Productive workplace with the focus on the students.
Volunteer Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2014
Somewhat typical office environment with often interactions with students.
Productive enviroment
Business/Economics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 25, 2014
Bunker Hill Community College offers a diverse population of students, faculty and staff. All who attend BHCC are there with a common goal, to create a better life through education. From the top down a sense of caring about student life on and off campus is a priority.
I just completed my Associates degree at BHCC. I couldn't of chosen a better school to accomplish this goal. The level of educators that work in the school are at the top of the food chain. I have been educated by professors from some of Boston's top Universities. Being an active member of the student body I was able to interact with students honing their skills to maximize their potential.

I learned through this diverse community that we all are trying to be better tomorrow than we were yesterday. We are a global community striving to connect personally and professionally to create equality for all.
What I Learned at BHCC
Advising Center, Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 16, 2014
I truly enjoyed working here. I served many students, adults of all ages. It is great to work in a place where you see people from all walks of life, and are able to help them with something that can affect their future so greatly.
a community that helped me build up my passion for Math
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, MAMay 25, 2014
I enrolled to Bunker Hill Community College in Spring of 2011 and was determined to take a part time position as a Math tutor. I finished all the required math classes and immediately applied for a tutor position. The work environment at the Student Center was friendly with a motto "Student will only leave the center learning and not just for the sake of passing the class". I come from Ethiopia where math and science are crucial to enroll in any major. I learned I use a complete different method in solving problems and in some cases easier than the one used here. I found ways to combine the different methods and simplify it to students. I learned that mathematical problems can be solved in many ways not necessarily the one way taught in school when we were young. I also learned Statistic is the least favorite among students which I find strange since it involves less mathematics as opposed to a math class which a lot of people dread.
Pros
fun tutoring my peers and friends, free muffin (sometimes)
Cons
time fly's by while tutoring one student, having last minute help from student with little time to learn
Excellent place to learn and grow.
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAFebruary 25, 2014
Bunker Hill Community College is an exceptional place to learn and grow for teachers, staff, and students.
Staff are caring and supportive esp. for students
Professor of ESL (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJanuary 6, 2014
You have to visit BHCC to see for yourself what outstanding work is going on, in an environment of learning, trust, and sharing, with student support occurring at every turn, especially within their Learning Center.
Artistic world
Art Gallery Monitor/Graphic Arts Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
I worked at the gallery as an intern and was not required to do too much. I opened and closed the art gallery and made sure the paintings were free of dust. I basically watched the gallery and posted upcoming events in the hallway of the school. There were no other co-workers. There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I was bale to relax and enjoy the quiet enviroment. The management was a great woman. She was a wonderful person.
Pros
relaxation
Peer tutor
COMPUTER SCIENCE TUTOR / PEER MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2013
At Bunker Hill I was part of the peer tutoring team for the school's STEM initiative. My main responsibilities involved helping students with understanding the material and helping them to prepare for exams.

Additionally I also stepped in to teach a few classes when necessary.
Love BHCC
French Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2013
Very nice environment. Love everything about the language lab in BHCC. High demand in tutoring. Coworkers are great to work with.
Fun place to work
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2013
Volunteer Income Tax is an internship by BHCC. under the supervision of the Internal revenue Service and the Massachusetts department of Revenue. It was a part of my study. I learned and assisted local resident and students prepare their Income tax returns

4.6