Bureau of Engraving and Printing Employee Reviews

Employment at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Health and Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2015
I have worked at the Bureau (BEP) for 13 years in many different capacities. I've learned the inter-workings of BEP and have established a variety of working relationship throughout. I have been involved mainly in the security, production and safety and health aspects at BEP. The hardest part of my job would be the hours I work, which is the midnight shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with other employees and co-workers while learning new things.
Excellent place to work, employees valued, job security, and benefits
Executive Secretary Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2014
Typical day is never the same, new challenges daily, it's a great way to learn more skills/knowledge. Great team work and communication from top/executive level to all employees. Many opportunities for advancement and continuing education. The best part of the job was working with all employees. The hardest part was monitoring assignment items.
Pros
always busy, treated respectfully.
Cons
short breaks
Government
Office of Engineering Principal Electrical Eng. (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2014
The Principal Electrical Engineer, Project Manager and COTR for all electrical projects and the electrical representative for projects that were not primarily electrical. The major projects completed during the eight and half year tour at the BEP were:
• MAIN BUILDING POWER EXPANSION - COTR -$6,200,000 project. Revived a stalled electrical power expansion project. Redesign the switchgear arrangements, prepared the short circuit and coordination studies, and coordinated the construction effort to finish the project. The project was a new 13.8 kV - 4 (four) feeder ring buses and vacuum circuit breaker switchgear sections which feeds all the power substation at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
• POWER TRANSFORMER NO.1 AND NO.2 ROOM 216M REPLACEMENT- COTR -$1,200,000 project. Coordinated the temporary installation to replace power lost during the fire in the existing Transformers. Design the new switchgear and renovated the old switchgear room. Developed the specifications and purchasing documents for replacement equipment. Canvassed contractor submittal. Accomplished the installation, testing, and inspection, of the two new 1500 KVA double-ended substation with switchgear on schedule.
• MAIN BUILDING SUBSTATIONS REPLACEMENT AND UPGRADE - Electrical Engineer - COTR - $3,400,000 project. Produced electric studies for future planning. Arranged for project funding. Produced project schedules, specifications, Scope of Work (SOW) for construction contractors, Government estimates and electrical distribution studies. Evaluated existing sites, designed and engineered the new electrical
  more... distribution equipment and new construction sites. The completed project involved replacing seven very old transformer and substations with two (2) new 3750 KVA transformers, two (2) new 2500 KVA transformers, and respective switchgear. Redistribution of the old substation feeders greatly improved electrical power gradient in the two BEP buildings. Project was completed on time, on budget, with only one modification, which was anticipated at negotiation concerning condition of existing electrical buss duct.
• INTERGRAPH NET MANAGER
Removed the old VAX and Intergraph CAD System and replaced it by specifying, procuring, installing three nets for 12 Intergraph CAD Workstation, five servers, three plotters, one scanners, two bridges and routers, switches, hubs and cable. The operating system was Intergraph Unix.
• PROVIDE TECHNICAL AND ENGINEERING SUPPORT.
POWER PLANT SUPPORT
-Inspect and investigate all unexpected outages and evaluate the situations. Evaluate methods and equipment to prevent future outages.
-Fire Pump Installation- designed the electrical requirements, inspected, and witness the testing of the installation of the Transformer and electrical cables connections to the fire pump and controllers.
-Renovation of office space electrical loads.
-New Fitness Facility electrical plans and construction.
-Cafeteria Renovation 2nd Floor Annex
-Annex Building PCB Decontamination Project- Provide methods of maintaining the UPS and emergency power during the outages.
SECURITY DIVISION SUPPORT
-Extension of OIS Emergency Generator Power - COTR - Designed, inspected, tested the engineered system used to provide emergency backup to the existing UPS installation.
-Security entrance electrical requirements and methods.-COTR –Security entrance construction.
-Office of Research and Technology Development -Power Quality evaluation for the protection of laboratory equipment.
-ACTING FACILITIES PRODUCTION BRANCH HEAD
3/90 -12/90 Electrical Quality Control Engineer,
Pros
excellent experence
Cons
cap on the pay grade gs-12 for eight years.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 15, 2014
Enjoyed working with other staff, staff supportive of each other
the only thing I like about working there was the pay
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2014
A typical day at work was basically fun and undpredictable because you never knew what you were going to learn that day. I had my challenging times but it was all a learning experience. I learned alot more than I ever expected to I was sent to seminars and classes almost monthly, so the bulk of my training came from outside instruction. I for the most part like almost everybody, we worked as a team and I like that because we were all on the same page. the hardest part of my job was sometimes learning how to juggle my time. But the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the public everyday.
Pros
free parking, metro cards, the benefit pkg and pay
Cons
sometimes no breaks
Employed
United States Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 24, 2014
Everyone does thier job above and beyond as required. I have nothing else to say but you must enjoy your job.
Productive and exciting place to work
JOURNEYMAN PLATE PRINTER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2013
To walk into the press area and see the huge press that you sre responsible for is awesome. I printed currency and stamps. I printed one, five, ten, twenty, fifty, and one hundred dollar bills. It was a huge responsibility, but loved it. I never handled such huge amounts of money at one time. I felt like I was on top of the world.I handled every aspect of the press with such expertise, I amazed myself. I rec'd outstanding commendations an my reviews. Working with my co-workers was very easy going. Everyone was at their presses. To me there was no hard part. You do your quota, examine your work, and have a wonderful shift. Everything about printing is so enjoyable.To see people pull out money makes my chest swell with pride knowing I was responsible for the end product.
Pros
good pay, benefits, and security
Cons
having to go home
Nice place to work
Commissioned Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dunbar Armored, Grapevine, TexasAugust 8, 2013
Nice place to work but to me very underpaid for the responsiblity of caring and protecting large sums of currency.
Once again this is a great place to learn
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2013
great place to work you will learn a lot more then you think you already known.
Great Management & Overall a good place to work
Student Trainee (SCEP) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 4, 2012
Been working for the Bureau for almost 2 years now. The manufacturing community is great. You get to interact with essentially everyone from workers at the production lines to management. Everyone's really nice and are available to help. My supervisor who is also my mentor, is the best manager one can hope for.