Bureau of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews in United States

Not for everyone
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2015
A typical day at work consists of helping customers with their title work, license renewals, and updating other secure documents. The Bureau has very high expectations for how fast every transaction should be; to the point of making it almost impossible to succeed. You are expected to be running transactions, under two min. and fifteen sec. While doing testing for the company, scanning documents, and whatever else 3 or 4 managers are telling you what to do at the same time.
Its very demanding, with a lot of Management over your shoulder, nit picking every little thing they believe you are doing incorrectly. The Bureau's turnover rate is unbelievably high.
The hours we work, are great for everyone who wants that Job/Life balance.
This environment is not for everyone.
Pros
Work/ Life balance
Cons
Poor managment skills, bad communications, not enough pay
Fun place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 22, 2016
Enjoyed my time with BMV. I would have stayed and retired if my position wasn't being terminated. I would have went back to the front with customers and had to take a pay cut.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Job security
Workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMarch 11, 2016
Disrespectful, all around terrible work environment that diminishes and unappreciative of the employees including management.
Pros
Great place for a teenager
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 1, 2016
You cannot grow and succeed here. They like to keep you right where you are. Management can be very trivial. No separation between manager and employees.
productive
CRS-CUSTOMER SERVICE REPERSENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2016
I like this job, I just don't like the supervisor I have. I feel like she shows a lot of favoritism, this why I am currently looking for a new job I just need a job with a more professional supervisor and one that help out when I'm stuck
customer service
Customers Service Rep/ Drive Examier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, IndianaMay 29, 2015
I enjoyed this job alot. I loved working with the public and thought this would be my retirement job. When governor did a silent lay off. They chose two out of each branch. My work etchics were excellent. The only reason I was chosen was my time used, which i had accured. My parents were both very ill and I was only child to attend to them. Which ended up being a blessing because I took care of them both at home till they passed. I loved the co-workers. There was nothing hard about this job. I was grateful to work at the BMV and all my customers loved me because I was kind and caring to all. I really like the drive examiner part. Took all types of people for the skills drive. Not just kids, but people coming into United States.
Pros
Hours benefits
Very nice place
Customer Service Representative10 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 26, 2015
Loved the staff, we were all like one big family. This place made you feel like you mattered. The management was very compensating with pay and raises. Never a dull moment
Pros
pay, hours
Cons
irate customers
Challenging and rewarding position
Lead CSR (Current Employee) –  Scottsburg, INAugust 20, 2014
Working at the BMV is a challenging and mental job. I have learned to work as a part of a team and to push myself to higher standards. I am the lead CSR, which if we were a medium or large branch I would be classified as a Team Leader, but alas we are a small branch.

I help management by running the front counter to free them up as required.

The hardest part of this job is motivating CSR's that do not want to be motivated.

I enjoy the customers that come in on a fairly regular basis, such as our local dealers and customers who buy and trade alot of different vehicles. It's nice to call a customer up by their name!
Pros
we have constant testing available to us that keeps us up to date with current laws
Cons
not enough opportunities for advancement
good place to work
Letter of Recommendation - My BMV Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2015
Stressful, yet fun work environment. Must love working with the public. Great benefits. Good chances for advancement.
Busy atmosphere
Customer Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 27, 2012
We wait on approximately 300+ customers per day. Processing licenses, car registrations, etc. I have learned to have more patience and how to deal even more effectively in a stressful environment. My co-workers all work together to have an effective team and work in the most efficient way possible. Management is always there to help and support us to the best of their ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling productive and knowing I have satisfied the customer to the best of my ability. I enjoy meeting new people every day.
Pros
good benefits, hours
Cons
not enough security
Fun people and environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2012
I enjoyed working with people and all the adversity that came with the position. Its hard for advancement and there is no room for flexibility.
Pros
people
Cons
benefits are awful and inaffordable management does not work on a team level
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMay 28, 2012
Relaxed atmosphere with great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is having to learn and remember different procedures for procerssing transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers. There is little room to advance so this would be the perfect position for someone who likes to be stagnet
Pros
friendly atmosphere. benefits
Cons
work hours and no advancement
Very little oppotunity in promotion. A great place to develope skills
Customer Service Representative/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 9, 2014
One particular day at work a customer came in the branch complaining that he never received his sticker/registration through the mail. Being very loud in tone of voice and distracting other customers, he demanded to speak with a supervisor. A member of management immediately diffused the situation by offering to reprocess his sticker/registration at no charge to him. The customer was satisfied and the problem was resolved. Although he was a distraction to others, my co- workers & I maintained a positive attitude and a professional outlook by continuing to assist other customers waiting in branch. What I have learned working in customer service is that you will encounter many different problems. Though many problems may not be branch error related, it is our responsibility to make sure that customers are given equal opportunities. Before customers walk away, they should feel a sense of an accomplishment. I like working in a diverse environment; it helps me to look at every situation from a different perspective.
This branch was wonderful to work with daily.
Indianapolis West License Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 1, 2012
It was extremely busy but everyone worked together to help each with customers and to have fun.
I learned to assist international customers in a way to make it easier for them to understand the process.
The hardest part was telling a teenager or international customer they failed a test.
The favorite part was working with the staff and mentoring them to move up within the BMVC.
Pros
staff was a great team. branches became cleaner and nicer place to go.
Cons
management more concern with sales goals instead of service.
Productive and relaxed atmosphere
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INAugust 25, 2013
Typical day is greeting customers, completing transactions, and making sure that the visit goes as smoothly as possible.
Training is never ending. Change is very probable.
Management, can make or break your team.
My co-workers are self sufficient and knows the value of working together to get things done.
The hardest part of my job is trying to satisfy a customer that no matter what you say or do, refuses to listen .
Most enjoyable is when someone is grateful for making a difficult transaction complete.
Pros
close to home. great boss
Cons
dress code.
Wouldn't make a career of it
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 22, 2012
Ok for an entry level job to gain some experience but the politics can be discouraging for those in management positions.
Fast pace working environment and good for customer service experience.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving at 7:30 to prepare for the day. A lot of the work would renewing and issuing drivers licenses and vehicle registrations, occasional calls to Columbus to be sure that we follow procedure when it comes to any unusual situations, such as lifting a suspension or providing a license to a non US citizen with all their paperwork. There may be an irate customer with whom we may communicate with or allow managers to speak to fix what problems we can and maintain them as a regular customer. By the end of the day, money tills are counted and put away, and paperwork is checked and stored to send to Columbus.
I learned very quickly skills for being in a customer service position and for answering our large volume of phone calls. As a Notary Public, learning how and what to notarize was essential. Fraudulent document classes were provided, giving me the skill to identify when a customer is providing a false or fraudulent documents and going to the appropriate people in management.
Management was military based due to both my employer and manager being Veterans. There was structure and order. Firm action was taken on both their parts to insure that everything ran smoothly, problems were solved, customers were satisfied, and employees in good moral and standing. My co-workers were without fail the best. All of us maintained a well balanced work environment. Though there may have been bad days, they were sure to change that so that everyone can have a good work day. When it came to working, if there was any kind of problem, I could rely on any of them
  more... for assistance, sometimes allowing them to take a specific customer so that they can be better served. The "hands-on training" never ended so there was always more to learn from my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job had to be when customers were extremely rude and upset due to either a suspension or sometimes with being told the wrong information from another source. It can be very difficult at times. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be bonding with certain customers that came in. Getting to know them made the customer service experience a joy not only for them but also for me. They definitely helped the day turn out better.
Pros
good customers, holiday bonuses, co- worker parties.
Cons
short breaks, long weekend hours, no benefits, no job advancing opportunites, very little secrurity.
A great experience
CSR (Former Employee) –  Griffith, INJune 15, 2013
On a typical day I would greet customers as they come in and obtain information from them in order to better serve them. I gained more experience in the customer service field. My co-workers as well as the management team were awesome. I actually enjoyed going to work every day. The hardest thing about this job was leaving and couldn't return because I was not employed with them long enough.
High Stress
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMarch 30, 2015
Very high stressful place to work as dictated by regional manager. Expected to know a lot of information, which is expected, but small mistakes could cost you your job.
A great place to grow and learn new office skills
Branch Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indinanapolis, INFebruary 17, 2015
The Bureau of Motor vehicles is a place where everyone pitches and works together to help serve the citizens of the State of Indiana. It is complicated work and without everyone working together to create processes many mistakes would occur.