Bureau of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews

A place for no growth
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 27, 2017
Terrible leadership Pay is not even able to live on. Great benefits but hard to balance work and family life. Supervisors do not care or concern for their employees.
great management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 20, 2017
unfortunately for me i left to pursue other opportunities but working there was great and i should have stayed if i could ever go back i would simply for the consistency and peace of mind
great place to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 30, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of making licence temp packets and dealing with customers.Upset when new management took over and replaced current staff.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 11, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Opportunity for advancement. Caring and hardworking co-workers. Would recommend.
Workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMarch 11, 2016
Disrespectful, all around terrible work environment that diminishes and unappreciative of the employees including management.
Pros
Excellent Manager to work for. Customer oriented and efficient service practices.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, OHMarch 11, 2016
Fast paced work environment including continual public and phone interaction. Identity verification was required to process customer requests as well as adhering to Ohio State Motor Vehicle requirements. Money exchange, database management, record keeping, phone/fax/scanner while focusing on serving the customer were the essence of this position.

While working at this position I learned the motor vehicle registration and drivers license criteria, as well as received my Ohio Notary certification. Being a fast paced environment the work day went quickly and more enjoyable. Working with the customer was the most enjoyable part of my position. Although I would not always be able accommodate the request due to requirement restrictions, I was able to maintain a considerate, polite and efficient customer support. When the customer reached for my hand and thanked me for being kind was the ultimate satisfaction for me.
Pros
Fast pace environment, Excellent Management, personel satisfaction in providing customer satisfaction.
Cons
Time constrait
productive
CRS-CUSTOMER SERVICE REPERSENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2016
I like this job, I just don't like the supervisor I have. I feel like she shows a lot of favoritism, this why I am currently looking for a new job I just need a job with a more professional supervisor and one that help out when I'm stuck
Fun place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 22, 2016
Enjoyed my time with BMV. I would have stayed and retired if my position wasn't being terminated. I would have went back to the front with customers and had to take a pay cut.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Job security
Great place for a teenager
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 1, 2016
You cannot grow and succeed here. They like to keep you right where you are. Management can be very trivial. No separation between manager and employees.
Not for everyone
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2015
A typical day at work consists of helping customers with their title work, license renewals, and updating other secure documents. The Bureau has very high expectations for how fast every transaction should be; to the point of making it almost impossible to succeed. You are expected to be running transactions, under two min. and fifteen sec. While doing testing for the company, scanning documents, and whatever else 3 or 4 managers are telling you what to do at the same time.
Its very demanding, with a lot of Management over your shoulder, nit picking every little thing they believe you are doing incorrectly. The Bureau's turnover rate is unbelievably high.
The hours we work, are great for everyone who wants that Job/Life balance.
This environment is not for everyone.
Pros
Work/ Life balance
Cons
Poor managment skills, bad communications, not enough pay
customer service
Customers Service Rep/ Drive Examier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, IndianaMay 29, 2015
I enjoyed this job alot. I loved working with the public and thought this would be my retirement job. When governor did a silent lay off. They chose two out of each branch. My work etchics were excellent. The only reason I was chosen was my time used, which i had accured. My parents were both very ill and I was only child to attend to them. Which ended up being a blessing because I took care of them both at home till they passed. I loved the co-workers. There was nothing hard about this job. I was grateful to work at the BMV and all my customers loved me because I was kind and caring to all. I really like the drive examiner part. Took all types of people for the skills drive. Not just kids, but people coming into United States.
Pros
Hours benefits
good place to work
Letter of Recommendation - My BMV Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2015
Stressful, yet fun work environment. Must love working with the public. Great benefits. Good chances for advancement.
High Stress
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMarch 30, 2015
Very high stressful place to work as dictated by regional manager. Expected to know a lot of information, which is expected, but small mistakes could cost you your job.
Very nice place
Customer Service Representative10 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 26, 2015
Loved the staff, we were all like one big family. This place made you feel like you mattered. The management was very compensating with pay and raises. Never a dull moment
Pros
pay, hours
Cons
irate customers
A great place to grow and learn new office skills
Branch Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indinanapolis, INFebruary 17, 2015
The Bureau of Motor vehicles is a place where everyone pitches and works together to help serve the citizens of the State of Indiana. It is complicated work and without everyone working together to create processes many mistakes would occur.
Fast paced work environment with a one call, one resolution atmosphere.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day at the Indiana BMV consists of me taking about one hundred phone calls a day, it is a fast paced, one call, one resolution type of atmosphere. It is spontaneous and nothing short of surprising . I have learned how to assist clients with reinstating their driver's licenses, titling and registering vehicles, VIN inspections, obtaining a driver's license, state ID card, or learner's permit. Management is friendly and helpful, but at times they are not always available when I need them. If a customer has a unique situation that cannot be resolved by looking in the resources in my manuals then I must seek assistance elsewhere, sometimes it can be inconvenient when there is only one supervisor available for questions. My co-workers are pleasant and easy going. I have never had any trouble with working along side them. The most difficult part of my job is telling people that they are going to have their license suspended, especially if they are the only provider for their family, or they are attending college, or they have medical appointments they must go to. It is never easy to be the bearer of bad news but I have learned that it is best to be as honest as I can with my customers. It is more beneficial for them to know exactly what is going on and to know the consequences if they choose to drive illegally. I also try to give them as much helpful advice as possible, for example if someone is suspended but absolutely cannot afford to not drive I will show them the process of obtaining a hardship license that will allow them to drive under special circumstances.  more... If they are trying to get reinstated and they are required to obtain insurance before this can happen, for individuals who do not own a vehicle I suggest a "non-owner's policy" an insurance package that will cover an individual in any vehicle they choose to operate. The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely relating to suspension and reinstatement. This is the part of my job that I know the most about. I enjoy being able to tell people that they are reinstated or clarifying their path to reinstatement. I love hearing the appreciation in a customer's voice when they finally understand what process they have to go through in order to be back valid.  less
Pros
Paid holidays, vacations, sick, and personal time
Cons
Not enough flexibility with time away from desk, frequently cut breaks, odd lunch hours, poor training
Fun
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INDecember 16, 2014
You never knew what kind of customers you were going to have day to day. Some days were great other days just seemed like everyone was very unhappy. I always enjoyed helping the customers. I had regular customers that would ask/ wait for me to wait on them. I miss that the most
Fast pace working environment and good for customer service experience.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving at 7:30 to prepare for the day. A lot of the work would renewing and issuing drivers licenses and vehicle registrations, occasional calls to Columbus to be sure that we follow procedure when it comes to any unusual situations, such as lifting a suspension or providing a license to a non US citizen with all their paperwork. There may be an irate customer with whom we may communicate with or allow managers to speak to fix what problems we can and maintain them as a regular customer. By the end of the day, money tills are counted and put away, and paperwork is checked and stored to send to Columbus.
I learned very quickly skills for being in a customer service position and for answering our large volume of phone calls. As a Notary Public, learning how and what to notarize was essential. Fraudulent document classes were provided, giving me the skill to identify when a customer is providing a false or fraudulent documents and going to the appropriate people in management.
Management was military based due to both my employer and manager being Veterans. There was structure and order. Firm action was taken on both their parts to insure that everything ran smoothly, problems were solved, customers were satisfied, and employees in good moral and standing. My co-workers were without fail the best. All of us maintained a well balanced work environment. Though there may have been bad days, they were sure to change that so that everyone can have a good work day. When it came to working, if there was any kind of problem, I could rely on
  more... any of them for assistance, sometimes allowing them to take a specific customer so that they can be better served. The "hands-on training" never ended so there was always more to learn from my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job had to be when customers were extremely rude and upset due to either a suspension or sometimes with being told the wrong information from another source. It can be very difficult at times. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be bonding with certain customers that came in. Getting to know them made the customer service experience a joy not only for them but also for me. They definitely helped the day turn out better.
Pros
Good customers, Holiday Bonuses, co- worker parties.
Cons
Short breaks, long weekend hours, no benefits, no job advancing opportunites, very little secrurity.
Very little oppotunity in promotion. A great place to develope skills
Customer Service Representative/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 9, 2014
One particular day at work a customer came in the branch complaining that he never received his sticker/registration through the mail. Being very loud in tone of voice and distracting other customers, he demanded to speak with a supervisor. A member of management immediately diffused the situation by offering to reprocess his sticker/registration at no charge to him. The customer was satisfied and the problem was resolved. Although he was a distraction to others, my co- workers & I maintained a positive attitude and a professional outlook by continuing to assist other customers waiting in branch. What I have learned working in customer service is that you will encounter many different problems. Though many problems may not be branch error related, it is our responsibility to make sure that customers are given equal opportunities. Before customers walk away, they should feel a sense of an accomplishment. I like working in a diverse environment; it helps me to look at every situation from a different perspective.
Challenging and rewarding position
Lead CSR (Current Employee) –  Scottsburg, INAugust 20, 2014
Working at the BMV is a challenging and mental job. I have learned to work as a part of a team and to push myself to higher standards. I am the lead CSR, which if we were a medium or large branch I would be classified as a Team Leader, but alas we are a small branch.

I help management by running the front counter to free them up as required.

The hardest part of this job is motivating CSR's that do not want to be motivated.

I enjoy the customers that come in on a fairly regular basis, such as our local dealers and customers who buy and trade alot of different vehicles. It's nice to call a customer up by their name!
Pros
We have constant testing available to us that keeps us up to date with current laws
Cons
Not enough opportunities for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Our community is ready to answer.

Bureau of Motor Vehicles Reviews by Location