Bureau of Reclamation Employee Reviews

Excellent company
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Ephrata, WAMarch 2, 2017
-I love the work I do, and the people I work with
-I learned that the more you learn the better off you are, and that attention to detail is a major factor in all jobs.
-Management is Great
-Workplace culture is awesome, some amazing people work for this organization.
The hardest part of the job, is workload
The most enjoyable part is knowing that I am making a difference and helping others.
Pros
technology, people, location
Cons
Short Lunches, short staff
Awesome job!
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Mills, WYFebruary 24, 2017
I love what I do and they work with me on my scheduling. Good benefits and retirement. Also, it's a team environment. I love working with my colleagues.
Do not respect their Administrative Staff is some Directorates
SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 4, 2017
Senior Management seem to see administrative staff as a nuisance and treat them accordingly. Engineers are treated well.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
Fairly straight forward government agency.
Management Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder City, NVFebruary 1, 2017
The organization is mission focused, sometimes to the detriment of side missions. Is not fiscally focused, but takes a high degree of pride in their attention to key deliverable projects. Management is eager to enact change, and the organization is in the midst of a larger change plan.
Pros
Beautiful locations to work.
Cons
Not always the clearest direction.
This was were I could continue education in Water treatment
Water Treatment Operator (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 3, 2017
My experience was a continued educational time. I learn hand on operation which were not taught at College. I also proved to myself that I was able to preform this job under grave yard shifts and day shifts, even though I am not a day sleeper.
Pros
Paid well
Cons
Grave yard shifts and contract work
Excellent
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 2, 2017
I would come in and fill up the test tubes with the egg samples and wrap some stretchy film over them. At the end of the day I'd clean up. The commute was long because I take public transit everywhere and the W Line hadn't been built yet. I learned all about how water is managed in 13 or so states in the western US. The hardest part of the job was having so much time and not that much to do sometimes. I also spent one day shlepping to a store to get a bag of litter or if memory serves, and it was a heavy bag. Other than that, it was a friendly work environment and I had plenty of space to do my thing. The job security got a 1 because I was employed as part of a program that had a definite beginning and end date.
Productive work environment
Data Entry Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 9, 2016
It is an excellent work environment and the employees are wonderful to work with. The employees make the work setting become relaxed and professional.
Great workplace and awesome coworkers
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Coulee, WAOctober 20, 2016
Working for the Bureau Of Reclamation at Grand Coulee Dam was a great experience. Gave me great opportunity to learn new skills and become a better employee. Great benefits, number one on safety, and takes care of their employees.
Cons
Fun, exciting workplace with loads of opportunities
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 18, 2016
Typical workday of 9-5. Great community with lots of opportunities to take on new challenges. Open and respectful work environment. Flexible work schedule.
Typical Government Gig
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 21, 2016
The work was interesting enough, unfortunately government bureaucracy frequently derailed projects, or started dead end projects. Many of my co-workers are not interested in being very productive and are satisfied just coasting through with the knowledge that they will not be negatively affected by their lack of performance. There are a number of great hard working people, but they don't typically last very long before they leave to go somewhere where their hard work is appreciated.

Benefits are great, and work/life balance is great, but the work culture sure needs improvement, and engineers are underpaid by 10-20%
Pros
Vacation time and benifits
Cons
Compensation, company culture
Steady work
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 26, 2016
Pros:
Flexible hours
Opportunity to work from home

Cons:
Lack of mentoring and training
Lack of managerial skills by supervisors
No opportunity for bonuses or awards with monetary value
Hydroelectric Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Coulee Dam, WAJanuary 28, 2016
One of the better agencies I have worked for through my civil service career. Diverse work force, great training, great benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Out of state work
Very poor management, Good electrical Job, Pretty well defined responsibilities, good equipment and well kept, very clean working enviorment
Power Plant Electrician (Former Employee) –  Seminoe Dam, WYOctober 26, 2015
The job was a DAM fine job. I really enjoyed working on the generators and working at the dam. very nice nature environment to be able to work in. The actual job was a good job. Most of the employees were good to work with. The problem was the turnover rate. This was due to very poor supervision at the lower levels and above. I did not realize that there had been a large amount of turnover and I and others hired around my time were just the next batch to go through this turnover. They use threats of getting rid of you as a means of management. I could see that their was no way to get through a probation period. You do not have rights as an employee during your first year. I found that their was way to much of the good old boys in management that you had no where to address the problems. I finally did call a different region to ask what options there were, but found I did not really have any, except a very drastic one, men in black option. Your job performance had very little to do with evaluations, it really come down to how well you brown nosed.
Pros
Good work enviroment. good equipment
Cons
Poor management, very negetive enviroment with threats about retention
Fisheries work
Biological Technician (Current Employee) –  Glendive, MTSeptember 25, 2015
I would electroshocking and trammel nets for Saugers and Green Sturgeons. We surgically placed radio telemetry units into these fish in order to track their movement and distribution throughout the Yellowstone River.
Administrative Officer
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTSeptember 10, 2015
I worked with a variety of employees and managed the Human Resources Division for this governmental organization. It was a wonderful place to work. The managers (of which I was one) were very supportive and work was always challenging and rewarding. The red tape and politics were expected, due to it being a governmental agency. But most things had a work around and with good support staff, the job got done.

I enjoyed the job and workers.
Pros
Great workplace and atmosphere, good managers and coworkers
Cons
Sometimes tedious and frustrating due to government red tape
productive and busy at times
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 5, 2015
Worked there for 6 months doing a internship for school as a file clerk. The staff at that time were nice and willing to show me the rope.
Like walking on egg shields
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Byron, CAMarch 27, 2015
Tension filled with lousy management. No operation support. Fishing for the Biologist was great and lots of of wild life
temporary p.t.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Boulder City, NvMarch 19, 2015
worked there for two summers on someone's vacation learned about the dam and lake mead, receptionist work, co-workers were nice, not being able to work full time. able to work as a Sr.
Goverment Postion
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durango ColoradoJanuary 18, 2015
Great nice people to work with. Lots of learning experience.
Engineering Assistant Intern
Engineering Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 10, 2015
The average day consisted of general admin, REDS digital drawing database uploading, drafting using Auto CAD for mechanical engineers, filling, use of Microsoft word, power point,excel, and outlook. Worked directly with engineers in management of engineering drawings.
Pros
Treated fairly, decent pay for intern, once sufficently trained little to no supervision
Cons
Internship ended

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bureau of Reclamation. Our community is ready to answer.