Burke Williams Spa

Burke Williams Spa Employee Reviews

Relaxing work environment, with friendly coworkers and customers.
Manager on Duty (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Free monthly spa services for management
Cons: You have to pay for parking
Greeting guests and working with other coworkers in a spa setting to ensure that spa guests are happy and relaxed during their time at the spa. The most enjoyable part of the day is going above and beyond for guests and knowing that you made their day. This company loves to promote from within.
Great company to gain experience in the Spa/Skin Care Industry
Esthetician (Current Employee), Orange, CAJune 9, 2015
Pros: Employee incentives, relaxed work place, furthur education and training provided
Cons: Compensation, working the weekends
A typical day at work includes performing skin care and/or body treatments on a variety of clients. Product sales and upgrades are expected, and encouraged in order to reach maximim revenue. I learned more about the skin, facial massage, product lines, time management, and the spa industry based on my employment and training that was required before working on the floor. Management and co-workers are friendly, Management aims to be helpful although they have to follow strict protocols by corporate which can be frustrating at times. Hardest part of the job is the pay, getting time off, and having to work at least one weekend day/night weekly. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping others,and improving ones skin and confidence through the skin care service.
Ok for New Therapists otherwise Run!!
Massage Instructor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Lots of clients
Cons: Awful pay
Ability to work with many clients and therefore many body types.
Training is very thorough and laborious.
Compensation is awful, not paid for Deep tissue for atlas 2 years
Raises are depended on how much you sold and not the quality of work.
Management is awful. They care more about money and not about the welfare of the employees.
Good job to gain experience
Spa Attendant (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 1, 2015
This was a very nice job to gain experience in customor service. Interacting with and assiting clients was the main focus. This job required physical labor. Maintence was a big focus also.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Orange CAFebruary 26, 2015
Friendly environment, no room for advancement, management was helpful and had a great open door policy. I enjoyed working there overall
Relaxing job
Front Desk Supervisor - Lead Spa Attendant (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I dont remember much about this company except my great coworkers and famous people .
A very fun place to work with great coworkers
Esthetician (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAOctober 13, 2014
It is a very stress-free environment with great people along with great work-life balance. I've learned many new skills in working with different people (clients) such as customer service, patience, communication and hospitality.

The most difficult part of my job is the low pay.
exciting and a good workout job
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 28, 2014
focused on your duties and fast paced job, learn how to communicate with your partner(s) and management to stay on track, the hardest part of the job is not doing nothing,team effort
A fun company to work for if you need bills paid
Concierge (Current Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAAugust 8, 2014
Pros: free massages, great reputation
Cons: short breaks, poor support, policies change frequently without notice
After working for the company for 2 years at 2 locations, I've realized they have the appearance of a place that cares, but they lack the management and support staff to make employees truly feel appreciated and supported. The managers are somewhat thrust into position out of necessity, rather than them showing they have the capacity and aptitude to manage employees.They don't seem to practice what they preach all the time, and things often go awry there, without core staff present to assist employees. Many broken promises too.

With that said, its a good "stop-gap" job if you're a skilled worker such as a massage therapist, nail care tech, or esthetician. Other than that, the roles outside of those positions are often filled by people who last a limited amount of time there.
Right job, wrong time
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee), Culver City, CAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: spa treatment training was in the same building so corporate staff received free treatments.
Cons: unorganized under pressure, a lot of division
The position that I had at Burke was not a bad thing, it was just a trying time for the company itself. Financially, they were going through it, and the managerial staff was not on one-accord. It is unfortunate how things played out for most of the employees, and then not too long after the majority of us were no longer employed there, the company's headquarters ended up relocating from California to Nevada.
Fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee), Orange, CaliforniaJune 25, 2014
Pros: great upper management support, friendly atmosphere
Cons: customers could be very difficult and demanding
I enjoyed working at Burke Williams. I left because there were no further advancements available to me. I appreciated the style of the general manager, he made work fun to be at, and he was (mostly) fair. He worked with me to improve personally and professionally and promoted me several times. I loved working with the spa industry employees, they are unlike the people in the other industries I have worked in. I was young when I was employed at Burke Williams and did not utilize the benefits, so I cannot comment on them. Overall, I enjoyed the time I was there, I met some really great lifelong friends, and as I stated before, I loved the work ethic and style of the General Manager. I work for him again in a heartbeat.
Would never work there again.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMay 7, 2014
Pros: the customers were amazing, i was constantly busy.
Cons: living in fear of losing job on a daily basis.
When I first started working for Burke Williams I loved it. My co-workers and management teams were amazing. It changed rapidly when the Operations Manager was let go. Every employee lived in constant fear of losing their job, there were people stealing lunches, the new management played favorites and would listen on private conversations employees had during breaks.
Excellent facility level management but....
Front Desk Coordinator/Concierge (Former Employee), West Hollywood, CAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great people, 6 massages a year(free), use of the spa with the exception of holidays and weekends.
Cons: remisce corporate partners, complacent management, lengthy standing on 8 year old pads, no sitting, no upward mobility.
Burke Williams is a fun environment to work in. The staff are fun and friendly as well as being diverse. The facility management does their best to fulfill the needs of their staff and clientele...but alas, the corporate structure and ownership are lacking. The majority of the corporate structure is made up of persons that are in no way qualified for their jobs, and as such the facilities themselves take the brunt of the burden yet are expected to perform above and beyond. Problems that are complained about by employees are ignored for months and sometimes years, or are subject to quick fixes that eventually break at the most inopportune times.

During training they will not only hint at but state that there is room for upward mobility in the company, which is unfortunately untrue(unless you are willing to spend years working your way from front desk to M.O.D.) and very misleading for those who have the qualifications to be more. Due to the insider only atmosphere perpetuated by ownership and corporate partners, persons with ability, qualifications, or even 4 year or more degrees in business are passed up for "friends of the family" on a regular basis.

Incentive structures are a positive, as they are given at the facility level by a management that actually understands and cares for the employees. Conversely, these incentives are shifted at random by upper management and unfortunately sometimes employees are not informed of the changes.

Another problem is the utter lack of communication with facility management and staff by the corporate offices. Several times while employed – more... there, changes and specials were made last minute(or at least emailed to the facilities last minute) and those in charge of the sales department attributed it to employee error. Also attributed to the communication breakdown is a complete lack of understanding by the corporate partners(by their own volition) of the actual state of disrepair in their facilities. Steam room doors and tiles known to be broken or in disrepair, are left as such for extended periods of time much to the chagrin of the front desk employees who receive the guests complaints and inform their managers of the exact same mechanical, esthetic, and functionality problems on a constant basis. When your owners son is in charge of repairs and he cares more about his mediocre band than his job, things will definitely go wrong and be left unchanged.

They try really hard to be a 5 star spa but come several stars short, and none of this is the fault of the facilities themselves.

If you are looking for a full time job you will find only empty promises from them, as they have taken the approach of many companies and only employee part-time regular staff for insurance purposes. – less
Don't work here!!!!
Esthetician (Former Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAMarch 10, 2014
Cons: everything
They work you too hard and pay too little. They can and will terminate your employment at anytime even if you didn't do anything wrong. They dont give you all your breaks and lots of missing tips. Management is a bunch of kids with attitudes that do not help the employees if their is an issue. They tell you to let them know of any problems but they never fixed them. I felt like I was back at high school. very unprofessional. They do not care about their employee's at all, you are very replaceable. And is very unsanitary.
Good spa atmosphere, mediocre compensation and poor management
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJanuary 28, 2014
While the surroundings of the spa looked luxurious, under the surface they did not provide the best products, sheets, etc for our clients. When I started compensation was OK but they chipped away at it by restructuring how we were compensated so that after I left people were getting paid as little as $15 for a 50 min massage.
There was never enough time between clients on busy days. You had 10 mins to turn over the room, run up possible 2 flights of stairs to wait in line to get your client who may still be in the spa. Then bring them down to the massage room and still give them their full 50 min massage and then wait for them to dress and bring them back. Impossible! It felt like a massage factory. The best part of the job was the actual work doing the massages and some of the co-workers and local management. But corporate management always asked us to do more with less and although they stated their openness to ideas from the massage staff to make things better, it was just talk.
Easy going relaxed atmosphere.
Front desk Agent (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: free massages, and sometimes facials. co-workers are great people.
Cons: short breaks, parking isn't free, lots of traffic.
It's a day spa so the majority of the guests are very relaxed and easy going. Hardest part of the job would be the sales aspect but I love the challenge. Most enjoyable part of the job would be moving appointments and breaks around to accommodate a guest that is just stopping in for the day and didn't have an appointment.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Guest Service Rep (Former Employee), Culver City, CAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: spa use
Cons: everything else
honestly the worst experience ive had my ENTIRE career

i was working in this slave ship from May 2011-Nov 2012. I've never in my life dreaded going to work as much as i did here, and I've worked retail....at places like American Eagle...during holiday season. i almost quit without the possibility of unemployment multiple times. during my training my group had multiple employees openly stating how much they hated this place and to get out while we could, and im sorry i didnt listen to them.

i was in guest services, booking appts and what not...it started off pretty decent, but within about 3 months it turned into a complete mess. the job itself was whatever but the environment....coming to work everyday was like an episode of Wendy Williams "whos the hot topic today!?' it got to a point where i didnt even want to communicate with my coworkers, i would just sit in the furthest corner of that telethon looking guest service rep chamber and mind my own...everyone was in everyone's business, it was like high school all over again

there were so many pointless rules and regulations. it seemed like every other day someone did something wrong, theyd make a new rule stating NOT to do whatever that person did, and then theres a new document we had to sign our lives away on or we'd risk termination. its like they're scared of they're employees exposing them for what they really are. i was asked to go home and change because i had on a normal tank top, nothing risque at all (mind you there was little to no real dress code here, pretty much just make sure you look decent), meanwhile they – more... let people come in their spongebob pajamas and hair tied up in a scarf? and you want me to take this place seriously? im still trying to figure that one out...

Management showed favoritism...and even the people who did suck up the managers are so fake they'd pretend to like them and talk **** about them behind their backs lol. no room for advancement. one of the nicer managers even warned me to get out of there because of how hopeless this place was...

employee turnover rate for this place must be through the roof. it seemed like every couple of weeks they had a new group of people being trained and within a month 75% of them would be gone, either fired due to the poor training or quit because they saw what BW is really about.... and management was always telling us to be mindful of the new people because they may take your place! what a team, right? at one point it seemed like people were dropping like flies, they had managers on a witchhunt for certain people. if they didnt like you, theyd use ANY excuse to get you out of there. sad, really.

only decent thing about this place is the spa treatments...and even then we werent allowed to use our discount on anyone but ourselves...not even parents. and lord knows this place is waaaaay overpriced and they didnt pay us enough to treat a guest to something. I went maybe 3 or 4 times in the year and a half i was there and that was it.

all i can say is thank baby Jesus for that lay off! my friends/family thought it was hilarious how happy i was to find out my job and time here was coming to an end haha

i know this rant was a long one (and this is just the tip of the list of problems!) but this place is horrible. It may seem all luxurious and legit rom the outside but like another reviewer said, im surprised BW is even still in business with how poorly run this company is. – less
Worst company I've ever worked for
Guest Services (Former Employee), Henderson,NVMay 7, 2013
Pros: coworkers were great
Cons: benefits, low pay, poor management, no room for advancement
This company is a joke. Working conditions are just depressing with ridiculous rules such as no internet access, not allowed to read a book/magazine so you pretty much stare at each other and the computer when its down time, you're also not allowed to have your purse on the desk. Very kindergarten type of work environment and not treated like an adult.
Poor management and communication, and there's no consistency. Very poor health benefits no PTO, vacation pay/sick pay. They preach pride and graciousness but it doesn't exist when you work for this company.
nice place to relax and enjoy
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), sherman oaksApril 30, 2013
Pros: my co-workers
Cons: not getting paid enough
see my schedule
made new friends
just okay
best people on the plant
long distance
helping people
a great enviornment and team work
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAApril 29, 2013
Pros: learning from peera
Cons: parking
training availible, i learned new modalities and from other therapist, it can be fast pased and challenging. never boring
Industry