Burke Williams Spa Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Membership Liaison (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 26, 2015
This was a great place to work. The management and staff provided great support. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to assist customer and provide excellent customer service.
great work atmosphere!
Concierge/ Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 17, 2015
Working for Burke Williams day Spa was a joy. I enjoyed going to work every single day. They have an excellent training and while on the job my colleagues were always happy to answer any questions that I had.
Productive and fun place to work
Front Desk Receptionist, Concierge (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAOctober 16, 2015
Fun place to work. Customer service is always held at the highest standards. Co-workers were always a pleasure to be around. A true family and friend feeling.
symmetry
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 10, 2015
Great company learned alot. Have people adjusted and aligned is what i love to do. People where great had lots of fun. Management had a great way of helping and getting things done.
Great benefits
MANAGER ON DUTY (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 15, 2015
Great benefits/pampering. Can be stressful at times. Difficult clientele at times as well. Overall nice, supportive business to work for.
Relaxing work environment, with friendly coworkers and customers.
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 14, 2015
Greeting guests and working with other coworkers in a spa setting to ensure that spa guests are happy and relaxed during their time at the spa. The most enjoyable part of the day is going above and beyond for guests and knowing that you made their day. This company loves to promote from within.
Pros
Free monthly spa services for management
Cons
You have to pay for parking
Great company to gain experience in the Spa/Skin Care Industry
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 9, 2015
A typical day at work includes performing skin care and/or body treatments on a variety of clients. Product sales and upgrades are expected, and encouraged in order to reach maximim revenue. I learned more about the skin, facial massage, product lines, time management, and the spa industry based on my employment and training that was required before working on the floor. Management and co-workers are friendly, Management aims to be helpful although they have to follow strict protocols by corporate which can be frustrating at times. Hardest part of the job is the pay, getting time off, and having to work at least one weekend day/night weekly. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping others,and improving ones skin and confidence through the skin care service.
Pros
Employee incentives, relaxed work place, furthur education and training provided
Cons
Compensation, working the weekends
Ok for New Therapists otherwise Run!!
Massage Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 2, 2015
Ability to work with many clients and therefore many body types.
Training is very thorough and laborious.
Compensation is awful, not paid for Deep tissue for atlas 2 years
Raises are depended on how much you sold and not the quality of work.
Management is awful. They care more about money and not about the welfare of the employees.
Pros
Lots of clients
Cons
Awful pay
Good job to gain experience
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 1, 2015
This was a very nice job to gain experience in customor service. Interacting with and assiting clients was the main focus. This job required physical labor. Maintence was a big focus also.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange CAFebruary 26, 2015
Friendly environment, no room for advancement, management was helpful and had a great open door policy. I enjoyed working there overall
Relaxing job
Front Desk Supervisor - Lead Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I dont remember much about this company except my great coworkers and famous people .
A very fun place to work with great coworkers
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 13, 2014
It is a very stress-free environment with great people along with great work-life balance. I've learned many new skills in working with different people (clients) such as customer service, patience, communication and hospitality.

The most difficult part of my job is the low pay.
exciting and a good workout job
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 28, 2014
focused on your duties and fast paced job, learn how to communicate with your partner(s) and management to stay on track, the hardest part of the job is not doing nothing,team effort
A fun company to work for if you need bills paid
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAAugust 8, 2014
After working for the company for 2 years at 2 locations, I've realized they have the appearance of a place that cares, but they lack the management and support staff to make employees truly feel appreciated and supported. The managers are somewhat thrust into position out of necessity, rather than them showing they have the capacity and aptitude to manage employees.They don't seem to practice what they preach all the time, and things often go awry there, without core staff present to assist employees. Many broken promises too.

With that said, its a good "stop-gap" job if you're a skilled worker such as a massage therapist, nail care tech, or esthetician. Other than that, the roles outside of those positions are often filled by people who last a limited amount of time there.
Pros
Free massages, great reputation
Cons
Short breaks, poor support, policies change frequently without notice
Right job, wrong time
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 21, 2014
The position that I had at Burke was not a bad thing, it was just a trying time for the company itself. Financially, they were going through it, and the managerial staff was not on one-accord. It is unfortunate how things played out for most of the employees, and then not too long after the majority of us were no longer employed there, the company's headquarters ended up relocating from California to Nevada.
Pros
Spa treatment training was in the same building so corporate staff received free treatments.
Cons
unorganized under pressure, a lot of division
Fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CaliforniaJune 25, 2014
I enjoyed working at Burke Williams. I left because there were no further advancements available to me. I appreciated the style of the general manager, he made work fun to be at, and he was (mostly) fair. He worked with me to improve personally and professionally and promoted me several times. I loved working with the spa industry employees, they are unlike the people in the other industries I have worked in. I was young when I was employed at Burke Williams and did not utilize the benefits, so I cannot comment on them. Overall, I enjoyed the time I was there, I met some really great lifelong friends, and as I stated before, I loved the work ethic and style of the General Manager. I work for him again in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great upper management support, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Customers could be very difficult and demanding
Would never work there again.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 7, 2014
When I first started working for Burke Williams I loved it. My co-workers and management teams were amazing. It changed rapidly when the Operations Manager was let go. Every employee lived in constant fear of losing their job, there were people stealing lunches, the new management played favorites and would listen on private conversations employees had during breaks.
Pros
The customers were amazing, I was constantly busy.
Cons
Living in fear of losing job on a daily basis.
Excellent facility level management but....
Front Desk Coordinator/Concierge (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAMarch 17, 2014
Burke Williams is a fun environment to work in. The staff are fun and friendly as well as being diverse. The facility management does their best to fulfill the needs of their staff and clientele...but alas, the corporate structure and ownership are lacking. The majority of the corporate structure is made up of persons that are in no way qualified for their jobs, and as such the facilities themselves take the brunt of the burden yet are expected to perform above and beyond. Problems that are complained about by employees are ignored for months and sometimes years, or are subject to quick fixes that eventually break at the most inopportune times.

During training they will not only hint at but state that there is room for upward mobility in the company, which is unfortunately untrue(unless you are willing to spend years working your way from front desk to M.O.D.) and very misleading for those who have the qualifications to be more. Due to the insider only atmosphere perpetuated by ownership and corporate partners, persons with ability, qualifications, or even 4 year or more degrees in business are passed up for "friends of the family" on a regular basis.

Incentive structures are a positive, as they are given at the facility level by a management that actually understands and cares for the employees. Conversely, these incentives are shifted at random by upper management and unfortunately sometimes employees are not informed of the changes.

Another problem is the utter lack of communication with facility management and staff by the corporate offices. Several times while
  more... employed there, changes and specials were made last minute(or at least emailed to the facilities last minute) and those in charge of the sales department attributed it to employee error. Also attributed to the communication breakdown is a complete lack of understanding by the corporate partners(by their own volition) of the actual state of disrepair in their facilities. Steam room doors and tiles known to be broken or in disrepair, are left as such for extended periods of time much to the chagrin of the front desk employees who receive the guests complaints and inform their managers of the exact same mechanical, esthetic, and functionality problems on a constant basis. When your owners son is in charge of repairs and he cares more about his mediocre band than his job, things will definitely go wrong and be left unchanged.

They try really hard to be a 5 star spa but come several stars short, and none of this is the fault of the facilities themselves.

If you are looking for a full time job you will find only empty promises from them, as they have taken the approach of many companies and only employee part-time regular staff for insurance purposes.
Pros
Great people, 6 massages a year(free), use of the spa with the exception of holidays and weekends.
Cons
Remisce corporate partners, complacent management, lengthy standing on 8 year old pads, no sitting, no upward mobility.
Don't work here!!!!
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMarch 10, 2014
They work you too hard and pay too little. They can and will terminate your employment at anytime even if you didn't do anything wrong. They dont give you all your breaks and lots of missing tips. Management is a bunch of kids with attitudes that do not help the employees if their is an issue. They tell you to let them know of any problems but they never fixed them. I felt like I was back at high school. very unprofessional. They do not care about their employee's at all, you are very replaceable. And is very unsanitary.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great Opportunity
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Burke WilliamsFebruary 5, 2014
I've worked in the industry for around 6 years and it's nice to actually work at a place where I feel valued and not constantly questioning the company's morals. Good pay, and great people. Management knows what they are doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burke Williams Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9