Burke Williams Spa Employee Reviews

Easy going relaxed atmosphere.
Front desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 13, 2014
It's a day spa so the majority of the guests are very relaxed and easy going. Hardest part of the job would be the sales aspect but I love the challenge. Most enjoyable part of the job would be moving appointments and breaks around to accommodate a guest that is just stopping in for the day and didn't have an appointment.
Pros
free massages, and sometimes facials. co-workers are great people.
Cons
short breaks, parking isn't free, lots of traffic.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Guest Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 12, 2013
honestly the worst experience ive had my ENTIRE career

i was working in this slave ship from May 2011-Nov 2012. I've never in my life dreaded going to work as much as i did here, and I've worked retail....at places like American Eagle...during holiday season. i almost quit without the possibility of unemployment multiple times. during my training my group had multiple employees openly stating how much they hated this place and to get out while we could, and im sorry i didnt listen to them.

i was in guest services, booking appts and what not...it started off pretty decent, but within about 3 months it turned into a complete mess. the job itself was whatever but the environment....coming to work everyday was like an episode of Wendy Williams "whos the hot topic today!?' it got to a point where i didnt even want to communicate with my coworkers, i would just sit in the furthest corner of that telethon looking guest service rep chamber and mind my own...everyone was in everyone's business, it was like high school all over again

there were so many pointless rules and regulations. it seemed like every other day someone did something wrong, theyd make a new rule stating NOT to do whatever that person did, and then theres a new document we had to sign our lives away on or we'd risk termination. its like they're scared of they're employees exposing them for what they really are. i was asked to go home and change because i had on a normal tank top, nothing risque at all (mind you there was little to no real dress code here, pretty much just make sure you look decent), meanwhile they
  more... let people come in their spongebob pajamas and hair tied up in a scarf? and you want me to take this place seriously? im still trying to figure that one out...

Management showed favoritism...and even the people who did suck up the managers are so fake they'd pretend to like them and talk **** about them behind their backs lol. no room for advancement. one of the nicer managers even warned me to get out of there because of how hopeless this place was...

employee turnover rate for this place must be through the roof. it seemed like every couple of weeks they had a new group of people being trained and within a month 75% of them would be gone, either fired due to the poor training or quit because they saw what BW is really about.... and management was always telling us to be mindful of the new people because they may take your place! what a team, right? at one point it seemed like people were dropping like flies, they had managers on a witchhunt for certain people. if they didnt like you, theyd use ANY excuse to get you out of there. sad, really.

only decent thing about this place is the spa treatments...and even then we werent allowed to use our discount on anyone but ourselves...not even parents. and lord knows this place is waaaaay overpriced and they didnt pay us enough to treat a guest to something. I went maybe 3 or 4 times in the year and a half i was there and that was it.

all i can say is thank baby Jesus for that lay off! my friends/family thought it was hilarious how happy i was to find out my job and time here was coming to an end haha

i know this rant was a long one (and this is just the tip of the list of problems!) but this place is horrible. It may seem all luxurious and legit rom the outside but like another reviewer said, im surprised BW is even still in business with how poorly run this company is.
Pros
spa use
Cons
everything else
Worst company I've ever worked for
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Henderson,NVMay 7, 2013
This company is a joke. Working conditions are just depressing with ridiculous rules such as no internet access, not allowed to read a book/magazine so you pretty much stare at each other and the computer when its down time, you're also not allowed to have your purse on the desk. Very kindergarten type of work environment and not treated like an adult.
Poor management and communication, and there's no consistency. Very poor health benefits no PTO, vacation pay/sick pay. They preach pride and graciousness but it doesn't exist when you work for this company.
Pros
coworkers were great
Cons
benefits, low pay, poor management, no room for advancement
nice place to relax and enjoy
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  sherman oaksApril 30, 2013
see my schedule
made new friends
just okay
best people on the plant
long distance
helping people
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
not getting paid enough
a great enviornment and team work
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 29, 2013
training availible, i learned new modalities and from other therapist, it can be fast pased and challenging. never boring
Pros
learning from peera
Cons
parking
Pretty good place
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 9, 2013
I was there for a short amount of time. Management was fun and exciting. Learned a lot about the business in a short amount. The pay is great if you are single with no kids and living in a apartment. The hardest part of the job would be just learning all of the massages and pricing duration and speech that you have to say to the client. the most enjoyable part is that is is a great working environment.
Pros
great people
Cons
not so great health care, not paid enough.
management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 1, 2013
After 3 successful months as General Manager at the BW facility in San Jose, I received the news that my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and had very little time left to live. I was not eligible for FMLA since I had been on the job for less than a year, so I was forced to resign my position to move back to Orange County and provide full time hospice care for her until she passed away. BW management generously offered a 30 day leave, however, it was not enough time and I had to vacate my post. I enjoyed the challenge this job offered, and while I hoped it was possible to return, I understand management's need to quickly identify a new GM to manage the busiest and most profitable spa in the BW collection.
Pros
"family" atmosphere; more flexibility than with a large corporation.
Cons
less opportunities for training at upper management level
family owned business
Concierge (Former Employee) –  santa monica, caFebruary 15, 2013
the company had a difficult time operating the business as a corporate facility or a democratic company
I really loved working here
Customer Service and Retail (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 13, 2013
If you are responsible and do your job well, then this is a great place to work. They pay decently and management is good at the Orange location. I do have to say Corporate management seems a bit scattered though.
Pros
feels like a family when you go to work.
Cons
hard to build up clientelle, because of the way they book appointments
Catering to the comfort of the guest
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 9, 2013
The best services of massage, facials, nail care. Separate mens and womens European style spas and Quiet Rooms
Relax and enjoy one of several selections of infused waters, tea, coffee, fresh fruit, or just relax in the quiet of your own space

Comment – March 13, 2013

This appears to be copied from a brochure for the company. It does not address what sort of employer the company is.

They love employees' signatures.
... (Current Employee) –  caFebruary 8, 2013
What they want from employees is signatures. They chase after you to get your signatures for protecting themselves. If they do things right, there's no reason for them to be afraid of their own employees. Because they cheat all the time, because they do things all wrong, they need your signatures. This is what Burke Williams Day Spa is. Never respect you. Never think of you. They treat you as legal slaves.
Pros
lots of practice of your own signature.
Cons
being treated as slaves.
No advancement opportunities, No good management, No good benefits
Guest Service (Former Employee) –  HendersonJanuary 25, 2013
The management is extremely high school. I learned that if I want to advance in this company I need to go elsewhere, . Love my coworkers they are great bunch of people. The hardest part of this job is dealing with the supremely idiotic rules that are in place, that most larger companies don't have, but if they did you would be more able to understand it. There is an extremely high attrition rate, most people quit in training or soon after coming to the floor as the training is very inadequate.

Benefits are sadly lacking. When interviewing for positions they will choose the person they like the most and not the most qualified candidates. Management is very unprofessional, they have you say the Burke Williams motto everyday during training like the it's the pledge of allegiance while saying we are all about PRIDE & GRACIOUSNESS. No where is graciousness seen, especially when it comes to the management.

II would not recommend this company to an enemy as a job prospect, let alone an actual friend. There's not a good company culture most adult who have been in the work place would expect a lot more and would be extremely disappointed.
Pros
guests are great to talk to
Cons
no benefits, high school like atmosphere, no advancemen, a fun, open, and creative company culture is not encouraged. so many idiotic rules, rules that larger companies don't have. high turn over, no one is happy working their for too long. most current employees are looking for other jobs
No advancement opportunities, No good management, No good benefits
Guest Service (Former Employee) –  HendersonJanuary 25, 2013

I would not recommend this company to someone that I didn't like to work at this company. There's not a good company culture most adult who have been in the work place would expect a lot more and would be extremely disappointed.
Pros
guests are great to talk to
THEY DONT CARE, THIS PLACE SUCKS
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 5, 2013
I work there still. This place doesn't offer anything. Nothing but health insurance, they offer dental but you pay 100% of it. THAT'S IT! I cant tell you how many people have quit since they have opened the new contact center here in HENDERSON. Management has quit, employees, people not even out of training have quit, the only trainer quit. You cant move up unless you suck up to the craziest managers around!! They run this place like the army and no one cares about you or any issues. I hate going to work because I have to deal with so much bs daily. Something new everyday, new rule new something everyday. RUN RUN RUN far away from this place. They make it seem like the greatest thing since slice bread--ITS NOT!! No whatever it says on the website is wrong,They act like they care and act like they are your friends but they are all fake females around!!! "We are family" , ALL LIES!! If you want a paycheck for $11 bucks an hr then apply
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Ok place to work until the economy tanked.
Massage Tech (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 7, 2012
The economy really affected this company because they did many paycuts. Generally, people left good the tips but then the tips even went down because the services are so expensive. They only pay you $15 per massage when they charge over $100 for the massage! They also became really hard on therapists when thier were any 'discounts' or complaints from clients. They have one of the highest employee turn-over rates I have ever seen, for a good reason. You won't make enough money to live. They used to care about thier employees but they don't anymore. I think they are just trying to survive right now. I wonder how much longer they will stay in business. Honestly, I'am surprized they are still in business.
Pros
free spa use. great co-workers who look out for each other.
Cons
they pay is low for the price they charge. management will throw you under the bus.
It served its purpose
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, Ca.December 3, 2012
I loved working at Burke Williams for the time I was employed. I worked with great people and had great clients. However with 2 company pay-cuts within 18 months, I was worth more than what the company was willing to pay out.
fun place to work
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 27, 2012
i enjoy workin with people hands on and the women are in a very relaxed environment which makes it easy to do ur job
Pros
free spa services
Cons
not enough hours
Terrible general manager who only cares about himself
Distributor/Customer Care (Former Employee) –  CANovember 26, 2012
Pay isn't great. Your they over work you and pay you crape. General manager doesn't like when you talk to.co workers.
Not what it seems
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  HendersonNovember 8, 2012
BE AWARE - the only benefits offered for the Contact Center in Henderson is Medical. The company DOES NOT offer Dental, 401k, or even paid time off - NO sick time or vacation time. They tell you there are spa benefits, however, all the locations are in CA so you have to be there to use them.
Pros
simple job with pleasant callers.
Cons
poor management, poor training, inconsistent leadership.
Family Owned Spa company: Results Oriented, Great coworkers!
Corporate Hiring Manager (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 16, 2012
This is a great company to work for. I have been with the company for almost 3 years, and in that time was able to successfully grow into a leadership position at the corporate office. I began, at the most entry level position available- a seasonal employee- I worked first hand as a front desk associate and spa concierge, catering to our clients' needs. The environment is fast-paced, fun, challenging and keeps you on your toes. No two days are the same at the spa, but everyday is a new adventure- which was a lot of fun. I learned a lot about working with people and providing elevated customer service. Great opportunities to shine, IF you are willing to step up. Growth potential recognized!! I was able to grow into a managment role at the spa facility before moving to the corporate office- all within 1 year. In my current position, I am incredibly fortunate because I work directly with the executive management team and have close contact with the decision makers in the company, many of which have been with the company from the get go (close to 30 years ago!!). The atmosphere is creative, organic, yet structured. Great coworkers along the way.. fun, creative types and a good mix beetween "corporate" and "ma & pa" small business. Elegant and professional Customer service is at the root of absolutely everything in this company. Overall, I've been able to find a great fit here, and can say that I have some direct input in the shaping of the future of this great spa company.
Pros
family owned business- close contact to direct supervisors, executives
Cons
wish there were more opportunities for financial growth and hard work recognized

Comment – January 7, 2013

You have a plush, cushy job at Corporate~of course you're going to review the Company well. Nobody wants to work there since they cut the commission.