Burns & McDonnell

Burns & McDonnell Employer Reviews

productive
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2014
Pros: employees
Cons: management
8 hour work day
enjoyable and helpful employees
management was okay
great place to work
Consultant Federal Project capture (Former Employee), PhoenixNovember 3, 2014
Pros: excellent project types
Great place to work. Diverse experience industry experience.
Bad ethics
Lead Sr. Right of Way Agent (Former Employee), KansasOctober 20, 2014
Cons: everything
Company was simply unethical if various ways. Project managers were not well trained and had no organization skills.
Old school, shirt and tie company
Section Manager - IT (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: steady, slow and stable growth
Cons: old school company and values
Great ESOP, good solid management that doesn't take chances and builds slow but steady.

Good benefits, good work environment. In Kansas City, on-site fitness and health care
okay
Document Control Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 15, 2014
Good for engineer,
Good working hours and co workers.
Benefits are good.
Not a fun place
Contract Employee (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 17, 2014
I worked here for 3 months, the people were rude, the workload was sporadic, and yes they pay good, but no really worth the treatment.
The job I never thought I would quit
Instrument & Electrical Controls Engineer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 15, 2014
Pros: experience, culture, stock options, benefits, employee owned
Cons: sometimes too much travel, professional dress
Only reason I left, was because my wife had an opportunity in another state. I quit after 7 years. The experience and advancement I gained here I don't think I will ever see that anywhere else. Truly wish I could still be working there.
If you are a female and/or minority, do not apply...
Assistant Architect (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 11, 2014
Pros: the "honor" of saying you work for the "best company"
Cons: the reality of knowing that you don't actually work for the "best company"
Run, don't walk, as far away from this company. Don't let the accolades in the newspaper convince you that this is the "best place" to work.

If you are a white male engineer, chances are, you'll fit right in!
If you are female, then be prepared to work with the most obnoxious, pretentious people in the industry. If you are a minority female, run!!!! Minorities are overlooked for promotions time after time after time. Backstabbing is a thing of the norm. There are individuals in this organization that will suck you dry, only to take credit for your work and pass it off as their own. This type of behavior is rewarded, even.

This place is known for having a great bonus structure and yes, this is true for certain divisions. I've seen people who sit and play on the internet walk away with 15-20k year end bonuses, while the people who actually work get very little, maybe 5k.

If you are an architect, run!! This is NOT the place to go for any type of design work. It is laughable!! You will be bored with drafting details, while the circus of management all but feed the "desired" work to their friends (time after time). This is the most poorly managed organization I have ever worked for. The top level architecture managers are horrific and are complete bullies!

This is, by far, the bottom of the barrel for architects. However, if you are ok sitting in a corner drafting toilet details: Apply! You'll love it!
very good place to work even if you are a contract employee
Contract Temp Assignment (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTApril 5, 2014
I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever worked for a company in either a temporary or full-time position that was as rewarding as working for this company. Burns & McDonnell really made me feel like part of a family and not just an employee. You don't get that too much now anymore from employers.

One thing I learned while with them, among many other just day to day things, was how to do shipping by FedEx.

The hardest part of this job was to say good bye to my co-workers when my contract came to an end due to the end of a project. But the most enjoyable part were the friends that I made and the knowledge that I came away from with Burns & McDonnell.

I had an outstanding boss that really cared about me and my co-workers.
Great job experience
remediation supervisor (Former Employee), Downers GroveMarch 17, 2014
If you have an engineering degree your treated well. If not you have to work your but off to prove you belong.
#14 / Top 100 places to Work
Materials Manager, Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City MO; Piscataway, NJFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: bright, enjoyable
Cons: too entrepreneurial; little management involvement
General comment is that the company can be seen as good place to work. Transitional environment with little turnover.
Great people
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 27, 2014
The people are what make this company, though long hours can be expected.
Daily requirements
CAD Drafter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: knowing my job my skill levels
Cons: not being able to apply my skills
My daily role was to support engineering with my drafting capabilities and finish with the product in a timely matter.

Despite the fact that I was informed that I would be supporting in my field of practice (Over Head Transmission design) due to the lack of work I had to support a different field of practice (Substation design).

I had a good manager willing to work with the team.

Some Team members had solid backgrounds and some needed more experience which reflected on the designing process.

Learning a new field of practice during the process of making deliverable product.

i enjoyed the challenge of learning the new field of practice.
A very professional Engineering company.
Senior Piping Designer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2014
I worked 10 hr. days from 7:00 AM-5:30 PM. I was given systems(Critical pipe, Boiler feedwater, etc.) to design and place in the model. I was introduced and learned to correlate SP3D P&ID to the piping in the model.My co-workers were helpful in the Burns & McDonnell piping procedure. Management was helpful and receptive to any concerns I might have. The hardest part of the job was learning the company's procedures and their particular methods and expectations in piping deliverables. The most enjoyable part of the job was the local football fantasy league, which I won and of course lorded over the group.
Incredible Company to work for, Work environment/culture is the best I've ever been a part of
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOOctober 8, 2013
Pros: culture, work environment, diverse range of projects, compensation, fitness center, health care facility, auditorium
The co-workers at BMcD are great. The culture, as well as work environment, is better at BMcD than any other organization I've ever worked for. One can make an entire career here.
Empowering Work Environment with Many Career Development Opportunities
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: professional development opportunities, pay for perfromance structure, employee stock ownership plan
Cons: no official flex-time policy, strict dress code (varies by office)
At Burns & McDonnell, we work for ourselves as we are a 100 percent employee-owned company. The culture of ownership that has been created by our ESOP is truly unique and a driving factor behind Burns & Mac being known as a great place to work.

Also, the work we do is interesting and improves the quality of life throughout the world. Our employee-owners are also rewarded for their hard work. With many annual events and celebrations, a comprehensive compensation and benefits package and a camaraderie that is hard to match, it’s no wonder that we have a turnover rate that is significantly lower than the industry norm.

There are various opportunities for all employee-owners to grow and develop their careers at Burns & Mac...the key is taking initiative and making your goals known. Development requires life-long learning, utilization of mentors and making your expectations clear as you become more comfortable. As a woman in a predominately male firm, the best advice I give to anyone contemplating calling Burns & Mac home is don't be afraid to go after what you want. If you are good at what you do ... Burns & Mac will help you grow into the best professional you can be. If you aren't confident in your abilities and comfortable seeking out growth opportunities ... Burns & Mac probably isn't the right fit for you.
Great place to work!
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), DenverSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: employee-owner, culture, long-term security, quality, standards
Cons: you get out what you put in.
I couldn't imagine a better place to work in the A/E/C industry. With any company there are always pluses/minuses. The difference comes down to what's important to you.

For me, this is the greatest place I've ever worked. I've worked at a couple of top-ranking A/E/C firms throughout my 12 year career and Burns & Mac is the first place where I've witnessed a culture where they put quality, commitment, and accountability at the forefront of their mission. Where that's demonstrated the most is when you've been given a task or project, it's up to you to deliver and communicate throughout.

Leadership places a great deal of trust and training into it's employee-owners, so it's only fair to ask that each employee-owner be responsible for meeting expectations with the client and within your project teams. That's a fair thing to ask in ANY company, especially an employee-owned company because your success is directly tied into how I perform just as much as it is your own performance.

That may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I rather enjoy it because when I look around I see some of the brightest engineers and leaders I've ever been around.

Burns & Mac is already #18 on Fortune's Top 100 places to work in America and with the people I see around me, I can't imagine why we won't be #1 in another year or two.

It really is a great place to work!
Good company
Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: fun
This is where I learned PDS modeling which I really enjoyed. I was encouraged to stretch my capabilities
exciting work, never humdrum
QA/QC Inspector (Former Employee), KansasAugust 8, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: away from home
Different and varied fields of work. worked in Connecticut, New Jersey, Louisiana, and Kansas.
Oversaw work on relay switches on underground transmission lines, wells, and power lines.
Overall good eperience
Site Project Controls Manager (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: great project
Cons: poorly negotiated contract
A typical day included, technical reports writing, preparation of daily force reports, P6 scheduling review and analysis, supervision of scheduling staff, walk down and documentation of site construction progress, meetings with subcontractors and client management, documentation for payment milestones.

I learned the use of a firewall scheduling technique.

Management method of the project manager was excellent for set up and management of a major construction project. pre construction prep and logistics were excellent.

Excellent staff, knowledgeable in their field.

The biggest challenge was managing time to perform thorough schedule analysis.

The most enjoyable part was watching working with the construction
subs to put together a workable plan and seeing the actual construction all coming together.

About Burns & McDonnell

At Burns & McDonnell, we believe in the power of an entrepreneurial dream. It’s how we began, in 1898, when Clinton – Read more

Burns & McDonnell Photos