BURNS & WILCOX Employee Reviews

Fast - Paced, Productive Environment
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 26, 2017
Fast paced work shifts where there is always something to do. Management is very flexible with work - home life balance. Underpaid but management will fight for promotions and pay increases where the CEO allows it.
Don't ever except a job offer!
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 9, 2017
I look back at my time at Burns as a bad nightmare. The company has lost 15 employees in their Toronto office in the last 2 years. This also includes 2 HR managers who couldn't take the abuse. The day I gave my resignation was the happiest day of my life. I'm now apart of the survivors club.
Pros
Cons
Salary, Benefits, no work life balance, lack of management, no HR, no respect...extra!!
Terrible
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2017
No work life balance, training is a joke. Managers gossip with employees. There is no communication. The operations manager doubles as the HR go to in the office.
horrible work environment
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  UtahDecember 27, 2016
The work is boring, the compensation is okay but the environment is horrible. Plan on being micromanaged and any issue is not addressed until it has become huge.
Productive office with a relaxed atmosphere
Commercial Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 4, 2016
Work in a very relaxed office of 35 underwriters and assistants. The most enjoyable part of the day is working with our agents underwriting all different types of accounts.
Pros
Environment that encourages self training and development
Cons
I enjoyed working for the Company.
Policy Typist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 8, 2016
I enjoyed working for the Company and typing up insurance policies for underwriters and assistants. Burns & Wilcox LTD paid for communication classes for Kaufman Institute.
Professional atmosphere
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 2, 2016
The fellow employees and brokers were wonderful. We had access to the office so I could go in and work as many hours as necessary.
The office was in a location close to home. We had great support from the home office in Michigan.
Pros
Insurance benefits were great
Cons
Commission was only paid twice a year
Great place to get a start in the industry
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDFebruary 19, 2016
I came to Burns & Wilcox with zero experience in the insurance industry. They gave me an opportunity, training, and a realization that underwriting is my future. Just not with them. I heard a lot of bad things about the office I was in while I was there. I have no personal experience with bad treatment from management or false promises made...but when everyone else is whispering about it, it's hard not to ignore. And I did see a very good, hardworking, and devoted employee get thrown under the bus which made me realize I was making the right decision leaving. While I enjoyed all of the exposure to various markets and lines of business, the cut throat wholesale side of the business just wasn't for me. But it was a great start to my new career!!
Pros
Incentives, flexibility with schedules, awesome co workers, celebrations, training
Cons
Inconsistent workflows/process, lack of an organized training program, false promises of advancement
Allway meeting new employees
Policy Preparation Clerk & Office Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2015
Job is fast paced office work compiling insurance policies.
Work unassisted from a data system of policies ready to be completed.
Pros
You have your own desk space and chair.
Cons
Always being pushed to type faster, but accurately.
Commercial Property & Casualty Production Underwriter.
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 19, 2015
A culture built on intelligent employees that share their wealth of knowledge amongst the team to grow and strengthen the team as fast as possible. Very open communication allowing for quick placement of risks, and the quickest way to quote a risk via its internal markets.
Pros
High level of technical experiene in the E&S market place, with the ability to grrow its staff to meet the markets need.
Cons
High employee turnover, the use of a Incentive Plan Agreement, and a small managing staff.
Overall great place to work, good people and strong support in education.
Assistant Underwriter, Transportation (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 10, 2015
My primary responsibility within my team is the renewal underwriter. I work on the largest Transportation book in the office out of 3. The book is also the 3rd largest in the whole office when compared to P&C and Personal Lines.

A typical day would consist of follow up emails to agencies requesting additional information to assist in the renewal process or gaining the information that was necessary to complete a renewal that was bound. I also evaluate upcoming renewal risks to make sure they are in the best market for their exposure. I remarket risks as necessary to provided the insured with the most competitive quote available. I will also bind and invoice a risk once the insured requests to bind. If I have spare time in the day I also assist with new business quoting.

The hardest part of the day would be working with agents that have little experience with trucking risks. However, I utilize every opportunity available to educate the agents about the nuances with trucking.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the diversity of risks that come across my desk. I've seen some very interesting risks come through, so we have placed and others we were not able to assist with. The quality of people in the office also make the workday more enjoyable.

Every day there is so much to learn. And continuing your education is emphasized and supported very much in the company.
Pros
Support in continuing education, variety of risks that present themselves, quality of people in the company
Cons
There is a bit of a "boys club" at times, the pay and bonus structure is less than other companies
Farming Operations
Associate Broker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2015
- Helped manage a farm directly with owners and performed operations until harvest time

- Operated tractors and maintained field irrigation pumps.

- Worked in a shop servicing and maintaining equipment with an engineer
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Not any
Good local company with many lines in insurance industry
Specialty Insurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 26, 2015
They have different products in insurance. Many subsidiaries over the States. People there are nice. But it is not an fast-paced environment.
RUN FAST!! Work at Hull, Bass,RT Specialty or AllRisks instead!!
Underwriting (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 30, 2015
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Because of this place, I have switched out of the insurance industry forever.

-Workers were doing the job of 3 people and this was still not good enough. Instead of hiring additional staff to keep up with the high attrition, management and VPs expected you to give up your life for the company, which is completely unrealistic.
-This place was like high school, very immature co-workers who are more interested in gossiping and starting drama than doing their work. Very cut throat environment, where people were willing to throw you under the bus if they had low numbers. I have NEVER worked in a place like this, and hope never to again! Team work did not exist.
-There was a high turn over in management. With a lot of the management going to competitors. If they were jumping ship, you should to!
- There was an extremely egotistical VP who loved the sound of his own voice and would waste hours of your day in these ridiculous and pointless meetings, then complain you are not being 'productive enough'.
-Completely disorganized on so many levels. This is too large of a corporation to be this consistently disorganized.
-Super slow computer system which was always freezing up for hours, hindering you completing your work

My last day at this company I felt like breaking into a song and dance. I was so relieved to be finally out of there!!!
Pros
Clean office; Pay was ok
Cons
Horrible management on the local and executive level, Cut throat environment, Team work did not exist, Very tense and unfriendly work enviroment, Highly disorganized.
Productive and team-based work environment.
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2015
Overall, Burns & Wilcox, Ltd. was an incredible experience. Here, the culture of the business greatly focused on teamwork. On a typical day, I spent my time preforming the following tasks: new business tracking, communicating new and renewal quotes to agents, follow-ups and inspection reviews, policy verifications, etc. I loved the open atmosphere and teamwork of the company.
Pros
Pot-lucks, Free luncheons on occasion
Cons
Long computer hours
First person to give an opportunity in Underwriitng
Commercial Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2015
During my short time there, I learned the procedures of underwriting and fell in love. Since that time, underwriting is something I want to branch over to. My decision at that time to stop my employment was not an easy one but did not change my mind on wanting to pursue a career in underwriting.
Teamwork
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 10, 2015
Woirk as a team to accomplish goals at hand. We address concerns of our customers in a timely fashion. My co-workers are great, and easy to work with.
Pros
Healthcare, set schedule
Cons
Communication with management
Varies by Branch
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Some branch offices are very flexible, others expect you to work more than 40 hours a week. Management is decent. You do get an hour lunch break, but that makes it a long day, 8-5.
Pros
Long lunch, flexible hours (depending on branch)
Cons
Lack of mobility
Not what I expected
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Very poor management
Unhelpful and unfriendly coworkers
No training
They'll low ball you on pay, so request high
The HQ HR/benefits people are unhelpful and screwed up my pay and health benefits.
Pros
Hour long lunches, met a couple of nice people
Cons
Pay, unfriendly/unhelpful, errors in pay, no training
oK
Personal Lines Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2014
good training, pay is not great, ceo is selfish - they have consistent processes and procedures in place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BURNS & WILCOX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9