BURNS & WILCOX Employee Reviews

Farming Operations
Associate Broker (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Friendly Co-Workers
Cons: Not any
- Helped manage a farm directly with owners and performed operations until harvest time

- Operated tractors and maintained field irrigation pumps.

- Worked in a shop servicing and maintaining equipment with an engineer
Good local company with many lines in insurance industry
Specialty Insurance Intern (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIMay 26, 2015
They have different products in insurance. Many subsidiaries over the States. People there are nice. But it is not an fast-paced environment.
RUN FAST!! Work at Hull, Bass,RT Specialty or AllRisks instead!!
Underwriting (Former Employee), FloridaMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Clean office; Pay was ok
Cons: Horrible management on the local and executive level, Cut throat environment, Team work did not exist, Very tense and unfriendly work enviroment, Highly disorganized.
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Because of this place, I have switched out of the insurance industry forever.

-Workers were doing the job of 3 people and this was still not good enough. Instead of hiring additional staff to keep up with the high attrition, management and VPs expected you to give up your life for the company, which is completely unrealistic.
-This place was like high school, very immature co-workers who are more interested in gossiping and starting drama than doing their work. Very cut throat environment, where people were willing to throw you under the bus if they had low numbers. I have NEVER worked in a place like this, and hope never to again! Team work did not exist.
-There was a high turn over in management. With a lot of the management going to competitors. If they were jumping ship, you should to!
- There was an extremely egotistical VP who loved the sound of his own voice and would waste hours of your day in these ridiculous and pointless meetings, then complain you are not being 'productive enough'.
-Completely disorganized on so many levels. This is too large of a corporation to be this consistently disorganized.
-Super slow computer system which was always freezing up for hours, hindering you completing your work

My last day at this company I felt like breaking into a song and dance. I was so relieved to be finally out of there!!!
Productive and team-based work environment.
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Pot-lucks, Free luncheons on occasion
Cons: Long computer hours
Overall, Burns & Wilcox, Ltd. was an incredible experience. Here, the culture of the business greatly focused on teamwork. On a typical day, I spent my time preforming the following tasks: new business tracking, communicating new and renewal quotes to agents, follow-ups and inspection reviews, policy verifications, etc. I loved the open atmosphere and teamwork of the company.
First person to give an opportunity in Underwriitng
Commercial Associate Underwriter (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 13, 2015
During my short time there, I learned the procedures of underwriting and fell in love. Since that time, underwriting is something I want to branch over to. My decision at that time to stop my employment was not an easy one but did not change my mind on wanting to pursue a career in underwriting.
Teamwork
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIMarch 10, 2015
Pros: healthcare, set schedule
Cons: communication with management
Woirk as a team to accomplish goals at hand. We address concerns of our customers in a timely fashion. My co-workers are great, and easy to work with.
Varies by Branch
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: long lunch, flexible hours (depending on branch)
Cons: lack of mobility
Some branch offices are very flexible, others expect you to work more than 40 hours a week. Management is decent. You do get an hour lunch break, but that makes it a long day, 8-5.
Not what I expected
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: hour long lunches, met a couple of nice people
Cons: pay, unfriendly/unhelpful, errors in pay, no training
Very poor management
Unhelpful and unfriendly coworkers
No training
They'll low ball you on pay, so request high
The HQ HR/benefits people are unhelpful and screwed up my pay and health benefits.
oK
Personal Lines Associate Underwriter (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2014
good training, pay is not great, ceo is selfish - they have consistent processes and procedures in place
Largest Independent Insurance Broker
Policy Issuance Specialist (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIAugust 28, 2013
This is a growing company, with offices around the country, that would present a great opportunity for someone wanting to build a career in insurance.
Office space
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee), Farmington, MIDecember 11, 2012
Management is decent, pay is mediocre, very quiet, not friendly.
Run Fast
Former Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee), USOctober 15, 2012
Cons: everything
Horrible place to work. They overwork and underpay. There is no home/life balance and Underwriters will bind coverage that goes against company policy. It is a very uptight place to work and people curse all the time. I wouldnt suggest anyone work here no matter how bad the economy is. The benefits are a joke and its so expensive you are better off self insuring yourself. If you have an insurance license you are better off working for a standard company that offers benefits or an independent agency where you have access to many markets.
Steer Clear....
Underwriter (Former Employee), AnonymousOctober 10, 2012
Pros:
- Number of contracts/markets - plethora of markets available for risk placement
- Paycheck during difficult economy

Lack of support for work/life balance -- Management openly discourages and expects everyone to put in 60+ hour work weeks with no overtime pay.
- Lack of "team" mentality -- Underwriters are pitted against one another, making some of them unwilling to help. Some will even feed false information.
- Management stirs up drama among employees
- Management enjoys gossiping and starting rumors about current and prior employees
- Management plays obvious favorites
- HR nightmare - no HR department in Branch offices. All of HR is located in Michigan. Management is the only outlet for complaints and personal issues (i.e. medical issues) -- but for the above mentioned reasons, they're not to be considered an option.Your issues WILL become public knowledge.
- Disrespect runs rampant in every department and at all levels.
- Putting your name on your lunch doesn't mean it will still be there.... On numerous occassions lunches, beverages, and snacks are eaten by people who didn't purchase them. How do you forget that you didn't bring left over pizza and a bottle of water for lunch? YOU DON'T!
- Lack of opportunity for advancement.
- KELP program is useless -- fancy name for "underwriting assistant" used to entice young college graduates. There are much better training programs available at other companies.
- High turn-over ratio -- very few employees are genuinely happy
- Expensive benefits that cover next to nothing. My bank account and credit cards vouch for this. – more...
- Pay lower than industry standard. Company takes advantage of those who don't know their marketable value. Many hold two jobs to make ends meet.
- Of the little vacation days given, it's difficult to get time off -- Only a set number of people can have off on any particular day and the entire month of December is blocked. Awful if you're not from the area and actually need to travel to see family.

Over all, this company will destroy your soul. Steer clear. – less
Prison Like Atmosphere
Commercial Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: air conditioned office
Cons: rude and unprofessional management.
Unprofessional, rude manager. No training. Unrealistic sales targets. Manager treats people is very unprofessional manner. Feels like being in 1st grade again. Inner office spies report on your every move. Lots of emotional and mental abuse.
Cold, results oriented workplace
ASSISTANT UNDERWRITER (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 21, 2012
Pros: ability to work in different branches
Cons: limited promotions
Okay as a temporary job or transitional job. Unhappy workers, not enough employee incentives, low morale.
Fast paced high volume company
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIApril 11, 2012
Pros: birthday celebrations, personal visits from owner, christmas parties
Cons: too rapid growth, had trouble implementing new software program, work load tripled
A typical day at work consisted of typing insurance policies, working with contacts from other companies in and out of state, typing DOT licenses, handled a high volume of incoming phone calls and instructed and cross-trained other fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was the too rapid growth thus tripling my work load. I had 60 different types of insurance policies to type up, some being on carboned paper. The company also started implementing a new software program that we were supposed to train on 3 hours per day, however, the system kept kicking us off, thus hindering our learning of the new system. I also proposed new ideas for implementation which could be of benefit to the company. There wasn't a lot of time to really get to know my co-workers on a more personal basis as far as the work load and turnover of employees. It was a rather large company with many employees. The hardest part of my job was when the work load tripled and there wasn't enough room in the suite to hire many temporary employees to help out. The most enjoyable part of my job was speaking by phone to other agents. They were very pleasant to converse with.