BURNS & WILCOX Employee Reviews in United States

Professional atmosphere
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 2, 2016
The fellow employees and brokers were wonderful. We had access to the office so I could go in and work as many hours as necessary.
The office was in a location close to home. We had great support from the home office in Michigan.
Pros
Insurance benefits were great
Cons
Commission was only paid twice a year
Great place to get a start in the industry
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDFebruary 19, 2016
I came to Burns & Wilcox with zero experience in the insurance industry. They gave me an opportunity, training, and a realization that underwriting is my future. Just not with them. I heard a lot of bad things about the office I was in while I was there. I have no personal experience with bad treatment from management or false promises made...but when everyone else is whispering about it, it's hard not to ignore. And I did see a very good, hardworking, and devoted employee get thrown under the bus which made me realize I was making the right decision leaving. While I enjoyed all of the exposure to various markets and lines of business, the cut throat wholesale side of the business just wasn't for me. But it was a great start to my new career!!
Pros
Incentives, flexibility with schedules, awesome co workers, celebrations, training
Cons
Inconsistent workflows/process, lack of an organized training program, false promises of advancement
Allway meeting new employees
Policy Preparation Clerk & Office Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2015
Job is fast paced office work compiling insurance policies.
Work unassisted from a data system of policies ready to be completed.
Pros
You have your own desk space and chair.
Cons
Always being pushed to type faster, but accurately.
Commercial Property & Casualty Production Underwriter.
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 19, 2015
A culture built on intelligent employees that share their wealth of knowledge amongst the team to grow and strengthen the team as fast as possible. Very open communication allowing for quick placement of risks, and the quickest way to quote a risk via its internal markets.
Pros
High level of technical experiene in the E&S market place, with the ability to grrow its staff to meet the markets need.
Cons
High employee turnover, the use of a Incentive Plan Agreement, and a small managing staff.
Overall great place to work, good people and strong support in education.
Assistant Underwriter, Transportation (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 10, 2015
My primary responsibility within my team is the renewal underwriter. I work on the largest Transportation book in the office out of 3. The book is also the 3rd largest in the whole office when compared to P&C and Personal Lines.

A typical day would consist of follow up emails to agencies requesting additional information to assist in the renewal process or gaining the information that was necessary to complete a renewal that was bound. I also evaluate upcoming renewal risks to make sure they are in the best market for their exposure. I remarket risks as necessary to provided the insured with the most competitive quote available. I will also bind and invoice a risk once the insured requests to bind. If I have spare time in the day I also assist with new business quoting.

The hardest part of the day would be working with agents that have little experience with trucking risks. However, I utilize every opportunity available to educate the agents about the nuances with trucking.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the diversity of risks that come across my desk. I've seen some very interesting risks come through, so we have placed and others we were not able to assist with. The quality of people in the office also make the workday more enjoyable.

Every day there is so much to learn. And continuing your education is emphasized and supported very much in the company.
Pros
Support in continuing education, variety of risks that present themselves, quality of people in the company
Cons
There is a bit of a "boys club" at times, the pay and bonus structure is less than other companies
Farming Operations
Associate Broker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2015
- Helped manage a farm directly with owners and performed operations until harvest time

- Operated tractors and maintained field irrigation pumps.

- Worked in a shop servicing and maintaining equipment with an engineer
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Not any
Good local company with many lines in insurance industry
Specialty Insurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 26, 2015
They have different products in insurance. Many subsidiaries over the States. People there are nice. But it is not an fast-paced environment.
RUN FAST!! Work at Hull, Bass,RT Specialty or AllRisks instead!!
Underwriting (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 30, 2015
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Because of this place, I have switched out of the insurance industry forever.

-Workers were doing the job of 3 people and this was still not good enough. Instead of hiring additional staff to keep up with the high attrition, management and VPs expected you to give up your life for the company, which is completely unrealistic.
-This place was like high school, very immature co-workers who are more interested in gossiping and starting drama than doing their work. Very cut throat environment, where people were willing to throw you under the bus if they had low numbers. I have NEVER worked in a place like this, and hope never to again! Team work did not exist.
-There was a high turn over in management. With a lot of the management going to competitors. If they were jumping ship, you should to!
- There was an extremely egotistical VP who loved the sound of his own voice and would waste hours of your day in these ridiculous and pointless meetings, then complain you are not being 'productive enough'.
-Completely disorganized on so many levels. This is too large of a corporation to be this consistently disorganized.
-Super slow computer system which was always freezing up for hours, hindering you completing your work

My last day at this company I felt like breaking into a song and dance. I was so relieved to be finally out of there!!!
Pros
Clean office; Pay was ok
Cons
Horrible management on the local and executive level, Cut throat environment, Team work did not exist, Very tense and unfriendly work enviroment, Highly disorganized.
Productive and team-based work environment.
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 25, 2015
Overall, Burns & Wilcox, Ltd. was an incredible experience. Here, the culture of the business greatly focused on teamwork. On a typical day, I spent my time preforming the following tasks: new business tracking, communicating new and renewal quotes to agents, follow-ups and inspection reviews, policy verifications, etc. I loved the open atmosphere and teamwork of the company.
Pros
Pot-lucks, Free luncheons on occasion
Cons
Long computer hours
First person to give an opportunity in Underwriitng
Commercial Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2015
During my short time there, I learned the procedures of underwriting and fell in love. Since that time, underwriting is something I want to branch over to. My decision at that time to stop my employment was not an easy one but did not change my mind on wanting to pursue a career in underwriting.
Teamwork
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 10, 2015
Woirk as a team to accomplish goals at hand. We address concerns of our customers in a timely fashion. My co-workers are great, and easy to work with.
Pros
healthcare, set schedule
Cons
communication with management
Varies by Branch
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Some branch offices are very flexible, others expect you to work more than 40 hours a week. Management is decent. You do get an hour lunch break, but that makes it a long day, 8-5.
Pros
long lunch, flexible hours (depending on branch)
Cons
lack of mobility
Not what I expected
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Very poor management
Unhelpful and unfriendly coworkers
No training
They'll low ball you on pay, so request high
The HQ HR/benefits people are unhelpful and screwed up my pay and health benefits.
Pros
hour long lunches, met a couple of nice people
Cons
pay, unfriendly/unhelpful, errors in pay, no training
oK
Personal Lines Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2014
good training, pay is not great, ceo is selfish - they have consistent processes and procedures in place
Largest Independent Insurance Broker
Policy Issuance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIAugust 28, 2013
This is a growing company, with offices around the country, that would present a great opportunity for someone wanting to build a career in insurance.
Office space
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MIDecember 11, 2012
Management is decent, pay is mediocre, very quiet, not friendly.
Run Fast
Former Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  USOctober 15, 2012
Horrible place to work. They overwork and underpay. There is no home/life balance and Underwriters will bind coverage that goes against company policy. It is a very uptight place to work and people curse all the time. I wouldnt suggest anyone work here no matter how bad the economy is. The benefits are a joke and its so expensive you are better off self insuring yourself. If you have an insurance license you are better off working for a standard company that offers benefits or an independent agency where you have access to many markets.
Cons
everything
Steer Clear....
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  AnonymousOctober 10, 2012
Pros:
- Number of contracts/markets - plethora of markets available for risk placement
- Paycheck during difficult economy

Lack of support for work/life balance -- Management openly discourages and expects everyone to put in 60+ hour work weeks with no overtime pay.
- Lack of "team" mentality -- Underwriters are pitted against one another, making some of them unwilling to help. Some will even feed false information.
- Management stirs up drama among employees
- Management enjoys gossiping and starting rumors about current and prior employees
- Management plays obvious favorites
- HR nightmare - no HR department in Branch offices. All of HR is located in Michigan. Management is the only outlet for complaints and personal issues (i.e. medical issues) -- but for the above mentioned reasons, they're not to be considered an option.Your issues WILL become public knowledge.
- Disrespect runs rampant in every department and at all levels.
- Putting your name on your lunch doesn't mean it will still be there.... On numerous occassions lunches, beverages, and snacks are eaten by people who didn't purchase them. How do you forget that you didn't bring left over pizza and a bottle of water for lunch? YOU DON'T!
- Lack of opportunity for advancement.
- KELP program is useless -- fancy name for "underwriting assistant" used to entice young college graduates. There are much better training programs available at other companies.
- High turn-over ratio -- very few employees are genuinely happy
- Expensive benefits that cover next to nothing. My bank account and credit cards vouch for this.
  more...
- Pay lower than industry standard. Company takes advantage of those who don't know their marketable value. Many hold two jobs to make ends meet.
- Of the little vacation days given, it's difficult to get time off -- Only a set number of people can have off on any particular day and the entire month of December is blocked. Awful if you're not from the area and actually need to travel to see family.

Over all, this company will destroy your soul. Steer clear.
Prison Like Atmosphere
Commercial Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 6, 2012
Unprofessional, rude manager. No training. Unrealistic sales targets. Manager treats people is very unprofessional manner. Feels like being in 1st grade again. Inner office spies report on your every move. Lots of emotional and mental abuse.
Pros
air conditioned office
Cons
rude and unprofessional management.
Cold, results oriented workplace
ASSISTANT UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 21, 2012
Okay as a temporary job or transitional job. Unhappy workers, not enough employee incentives, low morale.
Pros
ability to work in different branches
Cons
limited promotions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BURNS & WILCOX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9