Statement of duties:
Under general supervision, the receptionist is responsible on a rotational basis or as assigned for making\scheduling patient appointments, operating the clinic switchboard and greeting registering patients on arrival.
- Greeting and registering arriving patients in a prompt, pleasant and helpful manner;
- Verifying necessary patient information and data on the patient's medical record;
- Booking, co-ordinating and rescheduling patient appointments;
- Maintaining and updating current information on daily physician schedules;
- Overseeing the general waiting area, coordinating patient movements and reporting problems or irregularities;
- Operating the clinic switchboard by responding to incoming calls, routing calls to the appropriate area, taking and relaying messages, communicating general clinic information and responding to emergency calls according to established procedures;
- Retrieving patient charts from Medical Records for daily scheduled appointments or as requested;
- Verifying and updating patient information with charts and placing charts in assigned physician box;
- Maintaining patient confidentiality;
- Typing of index cards for compiling of new charts;
- Performing daily opening and closing office procedures as assigned; and,
- Performing other related duties within the clinic as assigned.
- Knowledge of business office procedures.
- Knowledge of switchboard and communication procedures.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation to prepare patient information.
- Skill in operating a communications system.
- Skill in computer applications.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to prepare, file and maintain patient records.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- High School Diploma or equivalency.