Butler America Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace.
Senior Technical Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTMay 6, 2012
Overall a really good place to work. We are given the choice of flex hours and because we are contrators we can normally take time off whenever we choose without question. Although the medical benefits are on the high cost side, the company does offer benefits which is virtually unheard of for contractors. The company treats you like a regular employee instead of a contractor while at the same time giving you the flexibility that a conractor normally has.

The compay offers competitive pay with like jobs in the market. The projects tend to overlap creating unnecessary stress in the workplace and causing us to take shortcuts that reduces the quality of the product. Projects should be as evenly spread a possible to prevent overlapping deadlines. This would also reduce the layoffs between projects as we would have them spread out throughout the year and not all bunched up during single timeframes. We produce a high quality product but it could be higher quality if we didn't have to take shortcuts due to several different projects overlapping with the same or near the same deadlines. The only other alternative would be to hire more writers which would produce more layoffs during the slow times of the year.
Pros
good pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
deadlines tend to overlap with other projects
Definitely the worst place I've ever worked at.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CaNovember 30, 2014
Now, the job that I was brought on for was to administer the Valpar assessment to possible candidates, they claimed that they needed to bring me on because they were going to be so busy, BUT since the HR manager did not like me, she kept me in the back 90% of the time filing, and doing other miscellaneous things, and not administering the Valpars, the other girl they brought on would literally be administering 4 people at one, but the manager refused to send me up front because she had an issue with me. I was let go on my 7th week there because they were blaming me for misplacing a paper that I know I filed. Either way, the HR manager really made it hard for me to even want to go to work because of her attitude, I never knew if it would be ok to even say good morning to her because of her mood swings. Lots of favoritism at that place too, with the exception of a few nice people. Overall, anyone should definitely rethink working here. Theres no room to move up here, at least not in the office, in the shop, possibly.
Pros
free lunches on thursdays
Cons
short breaks, rude manager and supervisor. working on edge, walking on eggshells.
Interesting Work, Non-Competitive Compensation
Supplier Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INOctober 9, 2015
Butler offered engineering labor to companies wanting to outsource engineering work. This creates a need to keep labor costs down and ultimately keeps employee compensation down. The work is interesting and challenging, something new all the time. The branch that I worked in did work for an aerospace company. That was the only customer they had, but Butler was actively pursuing other customers. Company has the potential to grow and do big things if they can attract additional customers. They need to make an effort to retain good employees rather than focusing only on short term results.

If you require benefits such as health insurance, this place doesn't help. The health insurance offered by Butler costs more than it does on the open market.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, interesting work, most of the people there are pleasant to work with.
Cons
Below average compensation, awful benefits
First job out of college
Airframe Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INOctober 11, 2015
This was my first job out of college and the support at the beginning was very little. I had an extremely tough time at the beginning, but eventually settled in there. My co-workers were nice and helpful, but I did not feel that the company was set up for me to succeed. There is a very high turnover rate. For the program I was working on, the schedule was incredibly insane. There was poor management from the company that had contracted us and it was up to us to make their poor schedule work. Our management was upset that the average employee was only putting in 40-45 hours a week (don't know how much they were wanting us to put in). They did have flexible hours (a six hour window when you are supposed to be there and you can make up the other ten hours however you want).
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
poor management and direction, lack of support from company for young engineers
productive work place
agency for Caterpillar (Former Employee) –  Chicago,JolietMay 24, 2013
A typical work day was Exciting, because of the surrounding, and endless possibilities of learning reading blue prints to assemble gear pumps for Caterpillar. I've learned to identify the parts, count the number of parts, including a number of different type seals O-rings bolts threading on the bolts and also different pressure hose and cuplings. when the pump binds after assembly identifying the out of tolerance part place an orange or defective part placing a lable on it place it in the rework bin. co-workers were helpful to say the least and a great goupe of team members i belive the hardest part of the job was stopping to go to the washroom and tool shed because of the size of the warehouse those to thing took a little time.
Pros
every day learning the productivity of the previous day
Cons
not there long
At the end of the day you feel like you're making a difference
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Shelton, ConnecticutNovember 29, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling accomplished. I learned first-hand the other side of military publications and documents. I got to work on schematic diagrams and technical publications. I never really saw this job as hard at all. There were many hectic times and days, buts all in a day's job. The work ethic and diligence of my floor of co-workers stayed high most of the time. The moral in the place was also high. It's probably because the fact you were payed a decent amount for a decent day's work.
Pros
close restaurant of lunch. no supervision. no weekends needed to work.
Cons
was a consultant job so benefits aren't included
Terrible company
machine assembly operator (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton N.C,January 1, 2015
Worst place to work unless you like verbal harassment from employees and supervisor who yells at their employees!! Favoritism and backstabbers who will do anything to make you lose your job;they will lie to you about your hourly pay to get you in there . Poor training and mismanagement . Will expect you to work overtime with little advanced notice.Unprofessional attitudes towards employees and verbal abuse during meetings, would not recommend a dog to work at this company!!!
Cons
verbal abuse from supervisors, improper training, poor planning and management, attitudes
The work is challenging and long term, as a technical writer/manager I enjoyed the experience.
Publication Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 12, 2015
My overall opinion of Butler America is favorable, I would work there again. There are things that could be better, such as pay raises a bit more often, or opportunity for advancement within the company. But, as a contract worker that seems to be the norm. They do have better benefits them some, but not as good as a few others.
Pros
Good equipment to work with.
Cons
Few pay raises
learned new skill sets in day to day business operations
Director of Operations and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2015
adding new resources, employee complaints review of costs vs. revenues
I learned about project and program management
management was remotely located in the NE
all co workers were contractors with high talent
hardest part of the job was co worker conflicts
most enjoable part was running day to day activty and keeping large customer happy
Pros
new skill sets in operations
Cons
was not allowed to develop new business from largest key customer located 1 mile from office
Contract Company
Data Analyst/Cleanser (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MASeptember 24, 2014
With what limited contact I had the people seemed nice. Original representative didn't check what paperwork was sent to me and wondered why I sent back the "wrong" paperwork. Took far longer than it should have to notice what the actual error was. After she left the company minimal contact occurred unless I initiated it.
Pros
it was a job
Cons
no benefits
Learned a lot from co-workers and employers.
CAD Designer/Stress Engineer (Current Employee) –  Earth City, MOJuly 1, 2015
Fun and laid back work environment. Employers offer great insight to aerospace industry and give career advice. Projects are short with somewhat a lack of job security. Flexible with hours.
Pros
Laid back work environment.
Cons
Short contracts, lack of job security/longevity
Great company to work for.
Area Operations Manager North East Division (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJMay 13, 2014
Fasted paced very busy however the bosses were friendly and understandable. I've learned allot there. The thing i liked the most is working with the nice people at Butler
Pros
people that care
fair
Packer - warehouse (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 25, 2014
I enjoyed working second shift as a packer. The job had no advancement. America is a melting pot, I was working different culture's, some of witch did not understand each other.
Pros
i liked second shift
Cons
there was a language barrier
Pays the bills, good starter job
Engineer/Process Planner (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 4, 2013
This isn't a dream job unless you enjoy sitting at your desk all day. It gives some experience and pays the bills.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
little pay and terrible benefits
great place to work especially for new engineers even though benefits and salary are less competitive
Structures Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INNovember 22, 2014
Pay and benefits are on the low end, but I've learned a lot and it's a great place to work
Not a great place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  NCJanuary 19, 2013
Communication between management and staff needs much improvement. Management considers staff as low class. If you do not bow down to management they find ways to get rid of you.
Cons
management
processing planner
Process Planning Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 30, 2013
must complete at least 8 AOS plans a day
input complete process plans into the system
create assembly prils
create tooling prils
Pros
flexible hours
benefits
Every changing company
Business Development Mgr (Former Employee) –  OC, CAMay 15, 2012
Butler has gone through a lot of changes and is continuing to evolve.
Pros
nice people
Contract company
Logistics Expediter (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTSeptember 29, 2015
Great entrance into the aviation manufacturing community. The partner with the topic suppliers in the aviation industry.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
contract work
Great as an intern
Tech Help Engineer - Intern (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 3, 2014
Good location right near Purdue. Not sure I learned much on the job.