Butterfly Pavilion Employee Reviews

Great Place to Intern
Horticulture Intern (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COAugust 3, 2017
The atmosphere at the Butterfly Pavillon is wonderful and the staff is incredible. The mission is also very educational and provides a great resource for people to learn and enhance the mission for education.
People just disappear
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CODecember 12, 2016
I worked here for just under a year and a half. In that time, at least 1/3 of the staff (full-time and part-time) just disappeared. If you asked where someone went, you would get "Oh, they don't work here anymore" or "They are no longer with the organization". Never an explanation of what anyone was doing wrong, just quietly burning through employees in every department. People either left because they were overworked and underpaid, or they were fired.

The facility and volunteers are fantastic- definitely go to visit! The behind the scenes working of the micromanaging executive staff and the ineffective HR team- not so much. I am glad that I had a great manager who took a chance on me when I first started there, but after they left, it was a nightmare.

In the event you do enjoy being micromanaged, you still have to wait a year as a full-time employee before you are eligible to take any PTO.
Pros
Great facility, educational opportunities
Cons
Micromanaging, no opportunities for advancement
Excellent enviornment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 26, 2016
The Butterfly Pavilion is a wonderful environment. They're hard working, and very dedicated employees. The passion towards visitor experience is something to never forget.
Good place to work if you enjoy educating kids and guests
Zoo Interpretation Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2016
This job is really fun and I enjoy it very much from day to day. Most of my time is spent on the floor teaching guests and talking to children about what the animals are.
The management is extremely unorganized and unwilling to let the staff do their jobs efficiently
Science and conservation (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 1, 2016
The butterfly pavilion is a great concept as the mission statement is a unique and interesting. The leadership team is unable to allow their teams to do their jobs efficiently and effectively micromanages all the way to entry level positions. The CEO and Vice Presidents have no respect for their staff and will never let you move up or grow professionally. Most of the executives are frankly under qualified and clueless to the inner workings of their business. They know very little about invertebrates and are obviously intimidated by others with knowledge. The butterfly pavilion want to be a leading resource for invertebrates conservation, but the people at the top don't allow the people in conservation to do their jobs effectively. All in all this organization moves 2 steps back for every step forward.
Over all a bad place to work but a cool place to visit.
Pros
Tropical rainforest, entry level staff are great, your boss is never around, good starting place but deffinatly not a career.
Cons
Pay, culture, management, work life balance, CEO and VPs, unorginized, unprofessional
Think again
Former administrative (Former Employee) –  administrationOctober 6, 2016
This is an unusual place to work. Great to be able to walk into the butterfly rainforest, not so great to work in cubicles. There is no space for anything here, no privacy at all.Your work day is with people constantly even when you take a break and you watched all the time mostly because everyone is on top of each other. If you are at an entry level in a zoo career this might be a starting point but there is no room for advancement. Management is not aware of how to run the organization side of the business. Pay is very low. Avoid this one if you can.
Pros
Animals are interesting
Cons
too many to mention - just found something else
great work environment but little room for growth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 22, 2016
the hardest part of the job was restocking and keeping everything in order. most visitors were kids on the weekdays from field trips. weekends are steadily busy throughout the majority day
Great job for recent graduates but not a career
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 11, 2016
This job has been a blessing and a nightmare. I enjoy working with my clients but I was hired in December and finally started in May, you do the math. The management is veryyy unorganized, if you're patient , apply now!
Fun and Interactive with flexible hours
Core Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COOctober 4, 2015
The Butterfly Pavilion is a wonderful place to volunteer. It is an opportunity to learn communication skills and animal care skills. The scientific environment is intriguing, and I feel that I have learned a lot in my participation there. You often interact with children, which can be very enjoyable. The hours are very flexible.Management was loose and co-workers were friendly. Although managing angry guests was difficult, it was an uncommon event.
Pros
flexible hours, choice in department, interaction with animals
Cons
no compensation, rude guests