C&S Wholesale Grocers Employee Reviews in United States

Prepared to be Stressed
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHMarch 19, 2016
There is a lot of management at C&S, but none of them are there to make the employees lives better or easier. The place runs on fear and stress - and the funny thing is that they are proud of it! If you can work under pressure and don't mind the blaming attitude there is definitely room for your career to go. There always seems to be job opportunities - possibly because the turn over rate there is so high.

I really enjoyed a lot of the people I worked with there and many are still my friend today. I was able to learn a broad aspect of business and enjoyed my daily tasks, but the management made the environment too stressful for one to function for long
Pros
co-workers
Cons
stressful work environment, bad management, terrible benefits
Company has challages
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
a typical day at work is 10+ hours: sometimes 7 days a week

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and customers. My co-works are great to work with and solid interaction.

Upper Management needs to take a step back and truly review the people that get promoted - a lot of Nepotism when it comes to promotion. Relatives and friends of mangers take priority regardless of merit.
Pros
has full service cafeteria, good people, decent salary
Cons
mediocre benefits, no bonuses, difficult environment
Very productive enviornment with a more productive hire and fire rate.
Incentive Selector (Former Employee) –  Baldwin, FLFebruary 15, 2016
First overnight job. However this fast pace, hard labor job is not for everybody. Working 6 days a week, lifting a minimum of 30,000 lbs a night really do put a strain on the body. I ended up leaving the job because it was too far from my house, and they got rid of the 401K plan.
Pros
Best Money Ever
Cons
Short breaks; Long Hours; difficult managers; body aches; No Sleep
Good job with good benefits
Hilo Operator (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMarch 2, 2016
Typical day begins with choosing an extended reach truck for the day's operations, inspecting the battery and the condition of the truck itself. Going into the work or staging area and removing pallets for depositing into storage bins. This process takes the complete shift. The job was a rewarding one that offered excellent benefits, with good salaries and overtime benefits..
Pros
The pay structure and benefits
Cons
Could be grueling hard work during Holidays
Pay is good. Work environment is poor. Extremely long work days, on call all of the time. Work life balance is non existent.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Expect to be overworked and not rewarded for doing so. Being that the business operates 24/7/365 you will be expected to be available 24/7/365.
Health care benefits are little to be desired and get more expensive + cover less each year for the last 6 years.
Over all my experience here is that people do not matter only results in this company.
Worst Job Ever.
Robot Handler (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, NYNovember 3, 2015
UNSAFE!
NO JOB SECURITY!
MAX RAISE IS a REVIEW of 25 cents yearly
Your better off getting a divorce then thinking youll get family time.
All promotions are made from the OUTSIDE
the AUTOMATION GENERALIST is a joke. There is NO DIFFERENCE of job titles. If your job role is automation generalist you could end up scrubbing toilets that day.If you refuse they will fire you.
Benefits are expensive.
They will cut raises and holiday pays to meet quotas.
NO MORE MATCHING 401K
VERY UNSAFE!
please if you shop at stop and shop STOP! Your groceries are not being handled properly.
Pros
co workers
Cons
UNSAFE!, no job security, your not an employee your just a number.
good workplace
replenisher (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAMarch 14, 2016
good job, benefits, good pay enjoyed my time there.had to keep percentage at 100 % to 110 % continually,which could be taxing at times.
benefits
Cons
extremely fast paced
Unorganized work place headed by weak and unfair management
Load/Unload (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 1, 2015
We come in later then most members of management but no issues are revealed until the employees come to work. you basically walk into work look at your route and discover something isn't right. Now the entire night is slowed down. The issue could have easily been avoided if someone actually checks the routes. Day shift has no communication with night shift until its too late. Most night shift management constantly fraternizes with employees. If you come up with a better solution then them they ostracize you and make you job difficult. They conveniently apply policies to certain employees but not others. Extreme favoritism.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor benefits, Cuts corners, Cheap, and weak leadership
Employee & Labor Relations
Field Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 28, 2015
It's a great place to work, you get to deal with employee issues and concerns but also you have the labor side of the job component.

Currently negotiating a contract with the union and allows and increases my knowledge and experience.
Pros
Great People to work with and work for
Benefits
Way to much work for the pay
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, txJuly 3, 2015
Get ready to work hard and stay very late and work with nothing but whiners,cry babies and back stabbers and depending which warehouse you work at you'll get paid VERY DIFFERENTLY this company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY for every little thing that you do its a point here a point there every day,week and month your work responsibility will increase but your PAY WILL NOT!!!..also your raise will based on which warehouse your at mangers/supervisors say one thing and do another working for this company means giving up any life you have until the weekend that if your warehouse doesn't work weekends and they like to throw at you mandatory work days at the last minute and your work hours will go up and down 40 + one week 30 or less the next...PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE
Pros
Get paid every week
Cons
Raises, managers, supervisors too much to list
Fast Paced work environment with oppurtunties for advancement
Warehouse Incentive Selector (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTFebruary 21, 2016
C&S is not for the weak or faint of heart. I regularly had assignments I had to do that had cases that weighted 60-80 lbs, or even more. Since it is incentive based work, it gives you the opportunity to choose how much you make every day. Depending on the warehouse, and level of management will depend on how much help you receive. The hardest part of the job is definitely making 100% every day. It is a physically demanding job, but if you're built like an athlete and ready to work, then this may be the perfect job for you.
Pros
two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch for full time workers
Cons
tough assignments, heavy cases
Benefits stink
Facilities Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHMay 21, 2016
I love the job/work I do. Its fast paced and there is always something to work on.I have learned lots of different skills working for this company and I'm grateful for that. As for the management in this department, they tend to show favoritism toward certain employees and allow them to do things that they write others up for or have spoken to about. The morale in these departments is very low due to the favoritism of these certain employees. Most of the co-workers are great to work with but like any place you have those that are always looking to cause problems or are just lazy and do as little as possible. The hardest part of this job is working hard and having your benefits taken away over and over. The most enjoyable part of this job is the work itself. I really enjoy doing the job I do and the travel from time to time.
Pros
company travel, the work itself and the hours
Cons
benefits have gotten worse, management
Better then decent
selector and forklift (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, mdMay 31, 2015
The pay is good but the benefits were kind of terrible. I enjoyed the schedule which is only 4, roughly ten hour days a week, with varying hours. You won't see less then 8 hours a day (32 hours, which is rare) but could see up to 13 hours a day (again this is rare but there's on and off seasons) I worked in the freezer warehouse which is miserable (-10 to -20 degrees) for the first month or two but you will get used to it just don't stop moving and you won't even notice. The management is awesome possibly the best I've worked for, but the workers there.... Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good workers and good people here but there are some of the biggest cry babies I've ever seen in my work history... If you can look past that you can make some good money here though. I would suggest this to anybody looking for a stable, good paying job.
Pros
good pay, good management, 4 day work weeks
Cons
all the cry babies
Daily Routine
Associate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHApril 24, 2016
Would get out reports that many people would use to make decisions about our warehouses. I will be buying items from vendors that will go into our warehouses. Our customers will then be able to pull the product from our warehouses. Have daily calls with the warehouse's to see if they have an issues. Would then talk with the procurement team to see if they could do anything to help out the warehouse and if they have any issues. I got better with excel and more confident talking with people over the phone and in person.

Hardest part of the job was getting the schedule smooth for the warehouses. We would be light on one day and extremely heavy on another.

I loved the people I worked with. All are friendly and extremely helpful.
This used to be a great place to work.
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Mauldin, SCApril 21, 2016
I work nights, in the PDC department. The pay is good, but no hours. This used to be a great company to work for, but they lost so much business, there are no hours, and benefits aren't worth getting, basically no benefits. Management doesn't seem to know what there doing anymore. There is this one supervisor, that is rude and vengeful to most of the employees. No one likes working for her. People are quitting left and right, but still no hours. You might work a really late night, but it's guaranteed, you will work a couple early nights. Basically you will hardly ever see a 40 hour work week. Coworkers are good guys.
Tenured Company that continues growth & expansion
Shift Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 12, 2016
Normally a 5 day work week unless it's the Holidays. Most days consist of problem solving and listening to employees that have issues or questions. Solid Leadership team that is tenured and very well prepared for the daily challenges that present themselves. The hardest part of the job is getting acclimated to the night shift & spending the amount of hours I do away from my wife. The best part of my job is seeing the results and enjoyment to the employees for being approachable & listening to their issues, concerns, & problems.
Pros
Solid Team & Leadership Foundation
Cons
Working 2nd & 3rd shift/ Work Life balance
Not worth it
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 17, 2016
Worked here a month. Walked out after shift ended. Had 12 hour days so no personal life weekends were playing catch up on daily chores around the house and errands. If you choose forklift they make you drive everything peice of machinery. They say safety is top priority but then trainers tell you be faster. Hurt my wrist during training and trainer did not offer to have me fill out incident report. During training they have unreasonable numbers you have to meet. Didn't want to stick around to see what happened when they actually went live.

Trainers literally told us they hardly drove some machinery. How can you train and not know how to operate it?!?
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts, trainers inexperienced
Real tough envoirment to work in
BACKHAULER/LOADER /UNLOADER/SELECTOR (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, MAApril 12, 2016
You have dozens of people running around on equipment at all times you really have to stay alert and watch your surroudings at all times or you can get hurt.Your in a cooler at less than 30 degrees or less sometimes .But it puts you in a mind set to keep movin.Which I strangly became good with .Because of the money you can make.Plus the team members I worked and spent most of the week with was like my second family because of the amount of time spent at work.Alot of overtime
Pros
ALOT OF HOURS IF YOU WANTED IT.GOOD MONEY
Cons
HEALTH CARE TOO MUCH/TURN OVER RATE POOR
Good place
Selector/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, MAFebruary 2, 2016
Good hard work
great pay
nice supervisors and management
room for growth if you are a hard worker
cool coworkers
good community
not a bad company
Payroll Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Brattleobro, VTAugust 31, 2015
not a bad company. Several opportunities to grow. Fun place to work and friendly people as well. The benefits are not bad plus the company charity contribution and community engagement.
Pros
room for growth.
Cons
pay could be higher.

2.9