C.R. England Employee Reviews

Found 1,273 reviews matching the search
sinking ship
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  UtahMarch 26, 2017
CR England has helped me hone many of my skills and learn new skills. The structure of upper management is not currently working. I have truly given my all to this company, and then some. I love my coworkers, but benefits and morale could definitely be better. There is a freeze on raises and bonuses have been cut as much as 50% since early 2016. There is no job security; you wonder if you are the next one to be escorted out the door with a box, even if you know your performance is outstanding. Now is not the time to get a job with this company.
Pros
I have had to learn a lot to keep up
Cons
Upper management
Good place to start, not so much for experienced solo drivers
Solo Driver (Former Employee) –  Burns Harbor, INDecember 13, 2016
My biggest complaint is getting the proper compensation every week without having to contact a DM or manager. Management is nearly non existent when you have an actual problem they need to take care of. Unless you have a dedicated run, forget running regular as a solo driver. This place is great for a new, inexperienced driver to be trained and get the experience needed to start a CDL career. However, if you are looking for a paycheck you don't have to fight for every week, and regular home time, this isn't the place.
Pros
training program
Cons
payroll and compensation, frequency of work available
Good place to start out. Schooling paid for up front.
Driver phase 2, 2nd seat (Current Employee) –  X fleetFebruary 20, 2017
C.R.England paid for my truck driver training. I filled in an on-line app and they got back to me the next day.
After attaining my cdl, they fairly quickly got me through the hiring paperwork, orientation, and into a motel to wait for the next driver trainer to pick me up, this took a few days I believe. Trainer was very friendly and helpful during the month I worked with him. I wish I had received more instruction and repetition in backing into docks, but the trainers have a lot on their plate. In short, if you are willing to work hard, and keep trying to soak up everything, you will succeed here.
You will initially have a hard time getting home in all likelihood. Home time is nice, but it can take longer than expected to get back on the road, depending on where you live.
Pros
Driver training paid for. Good culture in place with regard to training and safety.
Cons
Pay could be better, but the driver training is paid for so...
high stress position
Driver Manager/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 3, 2017
poor culture at this place. Raises and bonuses were taken away last year. saleried positions due to heavy work load and no compensation for the extra time each day. average hours worked daily is between 10-12 hours and only get paid for 8 hours. Office setting and a lot of swearing by the bosses.
Pros
lots of pot luck lunches
Cons
heavey work load, bonus and merrit raises were taken away last year
Do not work here
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 27, 2017
If you're looking for a job that has management that has no idea what they are doing, constant condensending from management and overall hate to go to work by all means work here. You can work your butt off but still not get anywhere. They are stingy with raises and vacation time. Benefits are ok but not anything great. Let this be a last resort.
Cons
Great company, but restructuring.
Driver Manager/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2017
I learned a lot and worked my way up from the shop to management. The pay was good. Being salary you were required to work seven days a week leaving little time for family. Family is important to me. I prefer a healthy work life/home life balance.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Salary, forces to work 7 days a week, over 65 hours a week, little time for family
I've only gone through the school.
Driver (Current Employee) –  UtahSeptember 12, 2016
So far I have only frome the training for my CDL, so there has been no home time. There will be sufficient compensation once I start the job, but the school itself only pays for the physical and the bus ride up. (I think they try to prepare people for sitting in a big vehicle for a long time, but greyhound busses have much less comfortable seating.) everyone needs tickets, so job security is ensured, but be safe out there. Management seems awesome and very helpful; I have heard stories, but have not experienced anything for myself.
Pros
Hey your CDL for free.
Cons
You have to pay (through the nose sometimes) for food while you're in class.
wonderful place to get a good start on a career in trucking
Driver Trainee (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2017
I had a good experience at CR England and got my CDL here. It's not easy and the instructors give you the information you need to get your License. However, it is up to you to study and work hard on the practice road and backing range. You must take responsibility for your learning and progress. Positive place to begin. Strong morals/values at the corporate level. I'd rate the experience as positive.
Pros
The information to get your CDL is here. Management cares about the students.
Cons
Long days.
productive in learning how to drive and operate
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2017
this is a great company. they offer great school and training. cr England has fine staff of instructors. I would recommend anyone to go to cr England to schooling and training. I promise you will be successful in this career of choice and you will be happy. I learn all sorts of manuvuers of how to operate a truck and trailer.
Pros
free lunches as promise also a successful career
Cons
they have great benefits and home time for your family
First phase of training.
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2016
DMs dont call. They arent worried about you like you are told at school. Was informed that they are to be helping you and get more info thats beneficial for you and the company. Fast paced course. Which is good. Starting pay absolutely sucks. Especially for driving and 80000 missle down the road. Starting pay still needs to be a bit more. Glad my trainer is giving me as much time behind the wheel that he is. He does understand !
Pros
Career, Benefits, See the country, For the most part you are your own boss
Cons
Not enough home time. Other companies offer better. Even for the begining guys and gals.
Learned a lot from staff here
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 4, 2017
I hope to have a look career here at C.R.England...As a student I learned how to be a safe and courteous driver...Management has been very efficient and helpful to all the students....Must admit the hardest part was having to deal with cold....For future students...Apply your self and there should be no reason why y'all can't succeed
Pros
Good trainers
Cons
Living off ramen soups
Not as it appears
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2017
Dorm style rooms are terrible. No food is provided. Structure of classes has proven successful in the past, so they stick with it. But nothing that the recruiter offered/promised/assured is really the case in real life. And the school administration doesn't care. I didn't take the course as a last ditch effort to get a job, I wanted my CDL. But students are often treated like cattle and aren't specifically chosen by recruiters. Dredges of society, desperate employees who aren't really interested in having this be a career, or don't plan on staying past their required time shouldn't continue. Certainly not given keys to an 80K # killing machine. Putting disgruntled drivers in dorm rooms with new recruits is detrimental to morale and retention.
Pros
Quick complete course
Cons
Professionalism of overall organization
Kept you rolling, but didn't care about home time
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Wake up, drive, go to sleep. Little time to do anything else. Time was limited for breaks, and you had to dip into your 10 hours of required sleep to do things like laundry, shower, buy food or other items. Basically your work controlled 99% of your day.

I learned how to properly drive a truck.

Management always kept the miles going for me, but whenever it came to home time, you better forget it. I got home time once a year. All other requests were denied. They even made sure to keep me away from my home state. It was to the point where I was "volunteered" to do a dedicated route for a Walmart Distribution center three quarters across the US... For 9 months.

You never get to see family and truck driving is really stressful. You got to make sure no jerks try to cut you off. Trucks can't stop on a dime! Also, you couldn't go site seeing.

The scenery and the food was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Travel to lower 48 states
Cons
no home time
Bad
Truck driving Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84101August 22, 2016
I went to work in Salt Lake City Utah as a driving instructor at their school. I absolutely loved my job and found out that I was a very good teacher. I had a very high pass in graduating right. I really thought that I would be there for many many years. But as time went on I discovered that the school management was very poor. I discovered that they treated their students horribly treated them like they were children instead of grown adults seeking to further their education and to obtain a new career. They were like two they were cheated and very under paid. I put my two weeks notice said ad was told that they would not let me finish out my two weeks because I had a bonus coming and sure enough one week left of my two week notice so they fired me. It just goes to show that the people that have worked there for years I just afraid of going out and getting a real job. I would never recommend this company to anybody anytime anywhere. If you want your CDL there I'm much better schools out there
The setting has all of the comforts of home
New Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 29, 2016
I have never driven a manual before nor a tractor trailer combination vehicle, so my being nervous was an understatement. I have successfully graduated and have full confidence in becoming more skilled on the road as I go to the next level in my new career. This school is one that I would recommend to anyone that is shopping around for a school to learn and obtain their cdl, the trainers are great and have your best interest in mind. I want to thank the entire training staff in building my confidence in becoming an OTR driver. I learned not only how to drive a manual, but also how to double shift as well, I look forward to hitting the road and learning what the next phase has in store so that I may become even more skilled as a professional and licensed cdl driver.
Pros
Very focused on helping you obtain your CDL
Cons
No food is provided.
Fun work place with food,games and training
student (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 7, 2017
CR England is a great company to start a career and stay here learning your skills to better your career.Fun environment games and wifi to keep you learning more advancement and compatible at the same time of training.Also giving you plenty hours of training with trucks and paperwork.CR England keeps one of the best tracking skill progress and keeping up with your progressive level as you train with different employers in different areas of classes and more.Clean work place with food and games to keep you level and not over loading yourself with thinking to hard. THANKS!!
Pros
free lunches
Cons
additional trianing
Productive.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 24, 2017
Good company for training and to start with, some executives and staff treat drivers poorly, you can be replaced. Long hours, paid less than industry standard. Get trained, get your CDL then find a better place to work.
Fast paced and motivated staff
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 31, 2016
Each day was a new challenge, with constant pressure from management to beat new and increasingly challenging goals we were forced to run a tight ship and meet any deadlines at the expense of our entire team. I liked working in such a cohesive unit but the weak links seemed to make things especially difficult and strenuous during low financial periods. Every one had pressure and drive to impress, but the emotional stress was evident. it wasn't necessarily the place to make friends, the bonus structure within the operations environment seemed to pit departments against one another. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was coming in every morning to a clean list of on-time loads, tracking production and making home time promises to my drivers, I really enjoyed the momentum of starting out on top each day.
Pros
Ability to move up, work with anyone, nice facilities and updated equipment, benefits (401K, health, dental etc)
straight foward job with good miles
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 19, 2017
my days usually consisted reviewing a load performing pre and post trips. driving to and from shippers or receivers in a safe manner then taking the proper breaks in between drive shifts. what ive learned is to always put safety first no matter what. management was ok. the work environment was pretty friendly. the hardest part of the job for me was being away from home a month at a time because you miss out on the small things. the most enjoyable would have to be linking up with fellow drivers who shared the same hobbies as i did.
Pros
consistent loads
Cons
pay rate could higher
Great Place to Start
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2017
This is a fun place to be, they work hard to make you part of the family. Its a good place to start a career in the trucking industry. Not only they are loving but they are helping.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at C.R. England. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7