C.R. England Employee Reviews

Found 1,120 reviews matching the search
Good place to start, not so much for experienced solo drivers
Solo Driver (Former Employee) –  Burns Harbor, INDecember 13, 2016
My biggest complaint is getting the proper compensation every week without having to contact a DM or manager. Management is nearly non existent when you have an actual problem they need to take care of. Unless you have a dedicated run, forget running regular as a solo driver. This place is great for a new, inexperienced driver to be trained and get the experience needed to start a CDL career. However, if you are looking for a paycheck you don't have to fight for every week, and regular home time, this isn't the place.
Pros
training program
Cons
payroll and compensation, frequency of work available
I've only gone through the school.
Driver (Current Employee) –  UtahSeptember 12, 2016
So far I have only frome the training for my CDL, so there has been no home time. There will be sufficient compensation once I start the job, but the school itself only pays for the physical and the bus ride up. (I think they try to prepare people for sitting in a big vehicle for a long time, but greyhound busses have much less comfortable seating.) everyone needs tickets, so job security is ensured, but be safe out there. Management seems awesome and very helpful; I have heard stories, but have not experienced anything for myself.
Pros
Hey your CDL for free.
Cons
You have to pay (through the nose sometimes) for food while you're in class.
high stress position
Driver Manager/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 3, 2017
poor culture at this place. Raises and bonuses were taken away last year. saleried positions due to heavy work load and no compensation for the extra time each day. average hours worked daily is between 10-12 hours and only get paid for 8 hours. Office setting and a lot of swearing by the bosses.
Pros
lots of pot luck lunches
Cons
heavey work load, bonus and merrit raises were taken away last year
First phase of training.
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2016
DMs dont call. They arent worried about you like you are told at school. Was informed that they are to be helping you and get more info thats beneficial for you and the company. Fast paced course. Which is good. Starting pay absolutely sucks. Especially for driving and 80000 missle down the road. Starting pay still needs to be a bit more. Glad my trainer is giving me as much time behind the wheel that he is. He does understand !
Pros
Career, Benefits, See the country, For the most part you are your own boss
Cons
Not enough home time. Other companies offer better. Even for the begining guys and gals.
Bad
Truck driving Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84101August 22, 2016
I went to work in Salt Lake City Utah as a driving instructor at their school. I absolutely loved my job and found out that I was a very good teacher. I had a very high pass in graduating right. I really thought that I would be there for many many years. But as time went on I discovered that the school management was very poor. I discovered that they treated their students horribly treated them like they were children instead of grown adults seeking to further their education and to obtain a new career. They were like two they were cheated and very under paid. I put my two weeks notice said ad was told that they would not let me finish out my two weeks because I had a bonus coming and sure enough one week left of my two week notice so they fired me. It just goes to show that the people that have worked there for years I just afraid of going out and getting a real job. I would never recommend this company to anybody anytime anywhere. If you want your CDL there I'm much better schools out there
productive in learning how to drive and operate
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2017
this is a great company. they offer great school and training. cr England has fine staff of instructors. I would recommend anyone to go to cr England to schooling and training. I promise you will be successful in this career of choice and you will be happy. I learn all sorts of manuvuers of how to operate a truck and trailer.
Pros
free lunches as promise also a successful career
Cons
they have great benefits and home time for your family
Fast paced and motivated staff
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 31, 2016
Each day was a new challenge, with constant pressure from management to beat new and increasingly challenging goals we were forced to run a tight ship and meet any deadlines at the expense of our entire team. I liked working in such a cohesive unit but the weak links seemed to make things especially difficult and strenuous during low financial periods. Every one had pressure and drive to impress, but the emotional stress was evident. it wasn't necessarily the place to make friends, the bonus structure within the operations environment seemed to pit departments against one another. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was coming in every morning to a clean list of on-time loads, tracking production and making home time promises to my drivers, I really enjoyed the momentum of starting out on top each day.
Pros
Ability to move up, work with anyone, nice facilities and updated equipment, benefits (401K, health, dental etc)
Learned a lot from staff here
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 4, 2017
I hope to have a look career here at C.R.England...As a student I learned how to be a safe and courteous driver...Management has been very efficient and helpful to all the students....Must admit the hardest part was having to deal with cold....For future students...Apply your self and there should be no reason why y'all can't succeed
Pros
Good trainers
Cons
Living off ramen soups
Not as it appears
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2017
Dorm style rooms are terrible. No food is provided. Structure of classes has proven successful in the past, so they stick with it. But nothing that the recruiter offered/promised/assured is really the case in real life. And the school administration doesn't care. I didn't take the course as a last ditch effort to get a job, I wanted my CDL. But students are often treated like cattle and aren't specifically chosen by recruiters. Dredges of society, desperate employees who aren't really interested in having this be a career, or don't plan on staying past their required time shouldn't continue. Certainly not given keys to an 80K # killing machine. Putting disgruntled drivers in dorm rooms with new recruits is detrimental to morale and retention.
Pros
Quick complete course
Cons
Professionalism of overall organization
The setting has all of the comforts of home
New Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 29, 2016
I have never driven a manual before nor a tractor trailer combination vehicle, so my being nervous was an understatement. I have successfully graduated and have full confidence in becoming more skilled on the road as I go to the next level in my new career. This school is one that I would recommend to anyone that is shopping around for a school to learn and obtain their cdl, the trainers are great and have your best interest in mind. I want to thank the entire training staff in building my confidence in becoming an OTR driver. I learned not only how to drive a manual, but also how to double shift as well, I look forward to hitting the road and learning what the next phase has in store so that I may become even more skilled as a professional and licensed cdl driver.
Pros
Very focused on helping you obtain your CDL
Cons
No food is provided.
Great training , new equipment, fast paced.
Driver Helper (Current Employee) –  West Valley City UTNovember 14, 2016
The instructors are all top notch with industry experience, fast paced and patient. Great opportunity for people who ate self motivated and listen to instruction.
Pros
Lots of advancement opportunity, will take no experience drivers, competitive pay
C.R. England
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 7, 2016
To start off the recruiters lied to me. Told me I'd be making more money then the job I was at. Since I've been here you don't get paid a decent amount until about 6 months in the job. Also During training you have to pay and wait for everything. A lot of stuff you don't know until you get here. Its a good way to get started with your CDL. Basically a starter company if you don't have a family nor bills. But other then the job, the school itself is pretty good. The instructors and management are pretty cool and I met a lot of nice people here. But I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone to work.
Pros
Get cdl quick
Cons
You pay for everything, no home time, and doest pay good
Great place to get started!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 4, 2016
I have no complaints other than that the Texas school was not up to par on their training...I just wish I would have come here to Salt Lake to begin with. It is a great facility with awesome instructors who teach at a high level to get you on a truck with a trainer in as little as 2 weeks. The curriculum and training is there you just have to apply yourself and take action. Although they don't feed you, you're getting a FREE education, a place to stay while training, and a guaranteed job/career once completed. Just bring enough money (about a months worth) for your food and license testing and your good. They teach at a fast pace but are there if you need additional training. Above all, be prepared for life on the road because that's exactly what this is. Good luck and have fun!
Pros
Free education and a rewarding career
Cons
Having to switch schools because of lack of training at previous school
As a school, it's a good company. is a place to get experience, it is also a good company.
Company Driver - Solo - OTR (Former Employee) –  4701 West 2100 5 Salt Lake City Utah 84021October 27, 2016
Pre-trip tractor and trailer, Also do a pre-trip for your route.Drive about seven and a half hours. Take a 30-minute break. Drive 2 more hours. Use your 11th Hour, Which is your last hour, To look for a place to safely shut down. Do post-trip on truck and trailer. Complete paperwork, Incomplete your electronic logs and approval them. Take about 30 minutes to clean your work area. Eat and prepare for sleep. And the mist of the 11 hour work day.I am dealing with the general public, Rush hour traffic, Small back routes, All types Weather and road conditions. All while maintaining safety and time management.
Pros
able to pretty much Be Your Own Boss day today
Cons
too much alone time. almost like solitary confinement
C.R. England is a great employer
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2016
Every day I have an opportunity to work on interesting projects to improve processes or that make a positive difference. The culture is friendly and everyone helps one another. Employees share information to help one another learn. Achievements are recognized. Veterans are honored. Everyone works hard, but it's also a fun environment. I thoroughly enjoy my job and being part of an environment that really cares about the drivers. The best part of my job is I learn something every day and I get to help drivers!
Pros
Great working environment, Continuous learning, The opportunity to really make a positive difference!
Cons
The starting benefits are a little on the low side, but overall they're comparable.
SLC schooling
Trainee/ employee (Current Employee) –  Salt LakeNovember 6, 2016
I'm a new hire just entering my phase 1 training. Was sent to the Salt Lake City facility and must say I've received very good training. It is fast paced so you MUST apply yourself 100% to succeed here. The trainers and staff are very helpful to you if you APPLY YOURSELF. No home time until your phase 1 is complete, ( about a month after you get hired), which I understand as the school is, again, fast paced so it is necessary to have the extra drive time and training in the real world. Overall I'm very pleased with my choice to come to C.R. England to start my new career.
Pros
Fast paced, if you APPLY yourself, you will get your CDL class A and training.
Cons
Food is expensive, classes are generally long and is 7 days a week
Beautiful terminal in Salt Lake City
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 7, 2016
I've made mistakes in my life before, but this is probably one of the biggest mistakes of my career. I was treated like a number. For a solo driver, it was frustrating to get a load out of Laredo, because everything went to teams and instructors first. I had a lot of down time. And the pay barely covered my truck expenses. I always had money issues.and I literally lived in the truck because I couldn't afford to go home. And when I did go home,I would receive calls even before my hometime was over. I could go on and on. This company was definitely not for me.
Pros
Beautiful terminal
Cons
Low pay, too much deadtime, not enough miles
The envorinment of the company was a great place to work for.
Driver (Former Employee) –  UtahJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work was driving across United States seeing various unique places that I have never been or seen and what did I learn is how to operated an Big Truck and learned different cultures.
Management was very efficient and helpful to employees. The hardest part of my job was driving throughout the night. The most enjoyable about my job was that I got the see tropical states, cities, with a great environment and culture and the blue skies.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work is fun but poor Managment!!
Trucker Driver/trainer (Current Employee) –  Clark, NVSeptember 28, 2016
It's a good place to get experience the driver manages give you a lot I miss leading information to you.. as far as work goes is fine depending which fleet you're on the people that I work with are really nice the driver managers are very poor in managing their drivers how they run us..how they give us miles The DM's are very inconsiderate about all the drivers safeties they just want to get their load delivered on time...and then when you say something they punish you by not giving your miles...or they sit you around with no work...and when you complain to upper management they really don't care...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Very little Home time
All jods are going to mexico
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 10, 2017
They are slowly letting go of all the us employees and hiring people from mexico. They stopped all pay raises and will only give you 1/4 of your bonus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at C.R. England. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6