CBS Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Work Life/Balance, Terrible Management
Digital Sales (Current Employee) –  N/AOctober 17, 2015
CBS is a great company if you work in the right division. The digital division, though, is not desirable. The President is abusive and recycles the management and sales team every year, citing that they are the problem rather than the product. There are too many salespeople calling on the same clients, that even the clients get frustrated. There is no way to succeed here unless you are ok with not keeping pace with market trends or becoming a complacent employee.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Mostly terrible management
Experience @ CBS Radio
Director of IT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2015
I found my experience at CBS Radio to be a great one. From my direct report (General Manager) all the way to the Account Executives, everyone was amazing. It was like family.

There was no such thing as a typical day as each one was different that posed new challenges. I like that a lot because it not only keeps it interesting but it opens yourself to new learning opportunities.

I rated Job Security with 2 stars because of the volatility of the radio industry. I thought I would be there for years to come but within 1 year they were 1 million over budget and started cutting jobs. Mine was one of the many.
Pros
Management, co-workers, culture, atmosphere
Cons
No stability
Nice professional Environment
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2015
Very supportive management but a bit bureaucratic for may tastes. The benefits are fantastic and the office is very nice and open. There's a ping pong table and a foosball table. The projects tend to be with outdated technologies.
Pros
Great managment
Cons
A lot of outdated technologies to support.
Hard to break in but great atmosphere
Promotions Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2015
It is very hard to get in and move up but the experience of working there is great. You work interesting events and get many fringe benefits but the pay is minimal and advancement opportunities are few and far between. That being said I had some really incredible experiences working for the Sports Hub Street Team that I would not have had otherwise. This is a great job to get into the industry but expecting to work there full time is generally not realistic.
Pros
Swag, laid back atmosphere/ great coworkers
Cons
low pay, tough to get hours
OK, but not Good
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2016
Las Vegas management does not know how to be honest, the benefits are the best reason to work here, the culture sucks and the people in accounting make life miserable.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Hard work, some fun
Sr.Programmer / System Analyst / Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2016
Work day required - 8HRs
Schedule is flexible - you can start work day from 8-10AM
Many of manager have high technical skills
All stages of a project can be difficult, and at the same time rewarding
You have mostly rely on yourself - everyone is busy
Good to get your foot on the door...
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJune 28, 2015
Overall management doesn't really care for the little people, unless you are making them some sort of money--talent, AE's-- they don't care for the administrative team. They will fire people and pile on work to the team without any monetary compensation. I guess it's good to get your foot in the door if you are a recent grad, and it looks good in a resume-but other then that-- it's best you start looking for a new job soon after your first year there.
Fun place to work, the "office" always changes
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2012
You report to the radio station, make sure you have everything you need prior to leaving for a remote in the company car. I've learned to deal with all sorts of customers and that everything is strictly business. Management is pretty standard do your job. You may or may not get praised for your hard work. If you mess up, you will be hearing from management. The co-workers are all excellent teachers, have great conversation skills and each have a distinct personality. They are more like family than anything else.The hardest part of the job is weather conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to meet people, normal people do not have access to. It also doesn't always feel like a job since you usually have fun doing your "events"
Pros
a lot of ticktes to events upon request, etc.
Cons
pay, weather conditions, etc.
Fun place to work with different things to do all the time.
Promotion Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 20, 2012
Arrive and gather materials for scheduled events for the week and load company cars. At events we typically set up our promotional display and interact with listeners for a two hour period. In the office management is usually very busy and are often not able to provide proper direction. This leads to lots of individual efforts to stay busy. I have learned what needs to be done and am able to achieve that most days within the time alotted. The hardest part of my job is staying motivated with the lack of compensation and hours I receive. The most enjoyable part is all the different events we do all over the Twin Cities.
Pros
free tickets occasionally.
Cons
compensation, lack of hours.
Fun place to work but not to stay; low pay and no advancement.
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 3, 2015
This a great company to hone your skills and grow especially out of college. CEO wonderful person but middle management unable to motivate staff. Typical day involves many tasks. Good thing about company is that they allow you to learn new tasks.
Pros
random monthly lunches, free coffee, wonderful hands on meeting, great ceo
Cons
below market compensation and little to no advancement opportunities - high turnover
Excellent Job. If job open TAKE IT!
Receptionist/Sales Asst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2015
I LOVED working for CBS Radio. Great benefits such as; free concert tickets, DVDs, etc. The management was great as well as all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when you would get extremely busy and its just you. The best part was the work environment.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
there is none
Fun work place
CBS Head Page (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2016
Great place to learn the entertainment business. Everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. You will learn a lot about the industry in this position.
Exciting and Inspiring position and work environment.
Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 3, 2015
A typical work day includes writing proposals to artist management and record labels to facilitate on-air promotional opportunities and working directly with sales department to create and implement client based marketing opportunities. In summary, working on promotional concepts to expand our brand, client and customer relationships. I have learned a vast amount of Marketing strategies which align with different aspects of our business such as on-air contesting, on-site event planning and on-line marketing including E-mail, Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms. Coworkers are enthusiastic and ready to assist in the development of new programs. Challenges include working with Legal Teams and CBS Corporate to implement forward thinking strategies (aka getting past the "red tape" so to speak). Working for a large corporation can have drawbacks but also many rewards including large span outreach and broader communication among markets. The most enjoyable aspect of my position is working directly with programming and sales to bring new marketing and promotional concepts to fruition.
Pros
Attending concerts.
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement.
A family with loyal, top of their field employees and management.
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2015
Supportive and highly professional legal team. Employees tend to come back after leaving. The company encourages development from within. Work is always interesting.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
Very busy
Internship with CBS Radio
Internship (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2016
The hours were crazy and it was a "party environment". This was an internship in which I received college credits for so I was not paid. The employees that I worked with were very kind and helpful. I gained allot from my internship at CBS Radio.
Pros
Great atmosphere
CBS Radio
Marketing Promotions (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 28, 2012
A typical day was very redundant, with little to know room for change. I learned a good deal about the radio industry, but mostly that it was not for me. Management was lax, but effective. Co-workers were often fellow college students working on non-paid internships for college credit. The job was not difficult at all. I most enjoyed brainstorming market strategies and promotion tactics.
Pros
college credit, valuable industry connections
Cons
working for no pay, no benefits, no advancement
It's A Job and We're All Thankful for One!
Commercial Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2015
However, if you have ambition to learn and or move forward within the corporation! GOOD LUCK! Being someone who pushed myself and yearned to learn on my own was the only reason for a good work experience here!
Pros
Some friendly staff
Cons
Compensation lacking, needs to step up their tech savvy, having appreciative upper management goes a long way
Not a good place to go
Content (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2012
If you like your career stagnant, and a work environment where everyone is miserable; this is your place.

First off, nobody talks to anyone in the office. Not even to say good morning. It's really weird, I never saw anything like that in any office before.

I don't think there is any career advancement ever. I haven't seen a single promotion or department switch in my time there.

Also some of the products CBS seems to offer are really misguided, poorly thought out, and mismanaged.

Maybe it's just my section. But I wouldn't recommend applying to CBS unless you're desperate for work.
Pros
the pay comes on time, meh benefits, nobody seems to notice if you don't show up or do your work for days on end
Cons
terrible work environment, pointless tasks, completely directionless.
Great benefits
Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
Great benefits, management was ok, really nice place to work for a short while and learn as much as you could about the business
Great place to start off your career
Senior Technician, Client Services and Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2014
CBS Corporation is a great company to work for. The company offers great benefits. It gives you a lot of exposure to the media industry. The management team in my department a great mentors and they are always looking to train you to do better.
Pros
relaxed enirovment, great company benefits
Cons
no career advancement