CDI Corporation Employee Reviews

Good working enviroment
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Charles City, IAJuly 12, 2016
Daily tasks are spread out so you do you have some down time. Work environment is ok. Work long hours sometimes. Occasional saturday work
Cons
Short lunch break, pay
Horribly antiquated and ignorant
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 30, 2016
There are a million things wrong with this company, so where do I begin?

1) Their on boarding system is a joke. I had no idea who my manager was and no idea what my job really entailed.

2) They try and do a horrible job covering up their mistakes. I saw a job posting for my same position with higher pay. When I confronted them about it, they took down the posting immediately and brushed it under the table.

3) Their entire internal software system is extremely antiquated. They need everything to be run on a PC and through Internet Explorer. I used to have to travel 3 miles every week so that I could input my timesheet on a brick of a laptop. I still have to use a totally outdated timesheet system that they just "updated"

4) There's little to no interaction with management or anyone higher ups

5) Absolutely zero career growth and development. I tried for a year to try and get some momentum on growth opportunities... NOPE

6) Benefits are a joke. The pay is already horrible, you really expect us to pay for benefits out of pocket?!?!
Pros
Connections to great companies
Cons
Everything else
One of my most interesting jobs to date, and a great group of co-workers.
Document Control III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
I learned new software and industry specific tidbits of information. This has definitely been one of my most interesting jobs to date, with a great group of co-workers. I had the best supervisor ever!
Pros
Good work atmosphere, good management
Cons
Unstable work industry, contract work
Marine Electrician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 21, 2016
CDI marine was a very nice place to work. Direct supervisor had personnel interests and desire to keep people working. Upper management had dropped the ball, finding new or continuing work for personnel
Long term, the future is bright.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2016
Corporate restructuring underway, patience is needed while this is in progress. It could be another year before progress is really seen externally.
Depends on Manager of the Day...
Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 4, 2016
Was great when you had a decent Recruiter and good Account Manager; was terrible when they left and other incompetence moved in. This happened a few times over 4+ years.
Pros
Pay was good, and they good account reps would take you out to lunch
Cons
Terrible Account Managers they would disappoint both Customer and you as placed IT Staff
Company locked into single source of work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 21, 2016
company employment is based on General Electric workflow. GE constantly sends work to overseas locations. unable to bring in other sources of work so hiring and layoffs happen on an ongoing basis
Pros
nice office
Cons
ge dependant
Fun workplace as far as assisting the disabled people.
DCW (Former Employee) –  Richton, MSFebruary 5, 2016
My day of work was just like any other day. I loved to wake up and go to my clients house. She was very sweet and caring. I learned that it's always good to help someone who isn't able to help themselves. The management wasn't the best and the co workers weren't so friendly. The hardest part was when she would have her spells and would forget who i was and would try to kick me out of her house but the most enjoyable part was that I was welcomed into her house and she treated me like family.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
good for contracting in 1994 time frame, no benefits
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2016
CDI was a good contractor in the Pittsburgh area at this time (1994).
Working at Westinghouse on contract was interesting in that I tested software for a nuclear reactor, the pay was fair for an hourly rate, no benefits, and I had 3 courses still to complete at CMU if I wanted to finish my MS degree there and not being a Westinghouse employee, I did not have tuition reimbursement to do that. I never became a full time employee at Westinghouse and left after the summer to move to another city and I never did complete those last 3 courses at CMU.
Pros
fair pay, nice company to contract at
Cons
no benefits, felt like an outside in group too, did not include me
A family type atmosphere. Everyone helps each other to get the job done.
Electrical and Instrumentation Drafter/Designer (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day included attending meeting/walkdowns and getting started on daily projects. Working closely with other disciplines to make sure all the work that needs to be complete is complete.
Great Place To Work
Delivery Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2016
Challenging and fun work environment. I loved the client that I worked with. I would love to work for this company again in the future.
Pros
Professional Growth Opportunities
Cons
Health Insurance is expensive
Productive Workplace; recognition for achievements; friendly and cooperative atmosphere.
Marketing Engineer, Lifecycle Proposals (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2016
A typical day at my current job is reviewing specifications for proposals to customers, developing pricing and scope of work details, writing and editing proposals, collaborating with sales, engineering and contract negotiators to achieve best proposal value for Emerson and the customer. I also prepare Order Entry packages for Purchase Order booking and invoicing, cashflow analyses and LOA presentations.

I have learned about distributed control systems and their inner workings (I/O, controllers, power supplies, digital genertator controls, etc.). In addition I have learned about the sales side of Contract Negotiation, which has been very interesting and helpful in writing proposals.

My co-workers are hard workers with varied backgrounds and interests, and some of the nicest people I have ever worked with. Very thoughtful and helpful, my co-workers are also talented and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of my job is retrieving information from sales and engineeering for my proposals when time is tight. The way around that is telling them that due dates will be missed if information is not received in a timely fashion. It ususally works.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing that a Purchase Order is received from the customer(s) who received my proposal(s). Can't ask for better than that!
Pros
Setting my own 8-hour work day to fit my needs.
Cons
high-cost healthcare and one (1)- week vacations
Interesting Industry
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 19, 2016
Great place to gain experience in many different engineering aspects. Great environment with good career movement. Interesting place to work.
Excellent place to learn cutting edge technology
Data Protection Engineer (Former Employee) –  Teterboro, NJJanuary 7, 2016
Great team of people and highly skilled group of guys. Management really cares about those who work there.
There is opportunity to shadow other teammates that handle different EMC product technologies so there is room to grow and be diverse in learning.
Current Management is not good
Designer (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 11, 2016
The people are great, but the practices are lacking at all offices from corporate down. Business development seems to be non-existent and the executives at corporate seem to be making really poor choices.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Sales staff does not chase work, Insurance is too expensive
Flexible and Accommodating
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Altos, CAFebruary 18, 2016
You are given an hour of prep a fun creative club that you and the children enjoy. There is about 14 kids in your care with the help of other teachers. Fun but you have to be flexible with the children moods as well as the weather.
Phoenix office is new and very comfortable; centrally located.
Sr. Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2016
CDI has several areas for employment opportunities. They attract very talented, professional who area a pleasure to work with. The Human Resources team is excellent and friendly.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Benefit costs are extremely high
productive
Lead Molder (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXMarch 3, 2016
best employer i have ever worked for. very good benefits, nice managers, stay busy, fast work day

qjusdbglsdjkahgfjkdbgio[anhgjkawdojgfuiweghiowergnbvjkawrgloer[v lo'anvg lbklasdfkl
Lead Project Engineer III (Design Engineering) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 25, 2015
They are big on work and family, flex time and PTO. Friendly and recently change their culture. Meaning removing upper management.
Pros
Not big on free food but provide fruit to their employees every week
Cons
They have a place to talk in privacy and relax.
Stay away from CDI
sales executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 19, 2016
CDI is 20% down year over year and having a major identity crisis. You will constantly fear for your job here as layoffs are the only constant. Honestly, take my word for it and just stay away!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CDI Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9