The Test Engineer (Electrical) will be responsible for designing and developing test solutions for our core products (Motor/Generators, Power Electronics, Magnetic Bearing Components, and Heat Recovery Systems. Primary focus will be production products but will include development programs as well. In addition, the Engineer will develop work instructions for electrical assemblies and products. The individual will also design and develop plans and procedures as well as evaluate test equipment required to perform electrical tests required for product acceptance. Responsible for ensuring that all products meet quality and customer performance requirements as outlined on drawings and specifications. Provide training on new work instructions and test procedures to other staff as necessary.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Work with manufacturing, quality, and engineering to define and document the test requirements and test methodologies, both for development and production programs
- Act as the manufacturing engineering liaison to the engineering teams.
- Perform qualification of test fixtures and test equipment to ensure test systems are capable of providing accurate and reliable test results.
- Define and document calibration and maintenance requirements of all test fixtures and equipment.
- Evaluation and procurement of fixtures and equipment with emphasis on cost justification and mistake-proofing.
- Determine conditions under which tests are to be conducted and sequences and phases of test operations, including acceptance test procedures (ATP) and instrumentation calibration procedures.
- Implement automated test solutions to increase the test coverage of new and existing designs.
- Organize manufacturing testing to save cost through intelligent test strategies by considering the manufactures yield levels, test capacity throughput, product design maturity, and field failures.
- Develop programs utilizing computer software and hardware to conduct automated, semi-automated and manual tests on electrical/electronic products and systems.
- Develop work instructions to build electrical assemblies and products in production
- Compile data and technical information for performing diagnostics, root cause analysis and corrective action.
- Troubleshoot complex electrical, mechanical, and controls malfunctions
- Analysis of technical issues regarding installation, operation, maintenance, product improvement and failures.
- Identify and participate in continuous improvement projects and project teams, as required.
- Train other staff as necessary.
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering discipline
- 8 or more years’ experience as an electrical manufacturing test engineer
- Experience with testing Power Electronics in the range of 10kW to 1,000kW range.
- Experience with high speed rotating equipment such as motors or generators in the 10kW to 1,000kW range a plus
- Successful candidate will have experience with production of electrical assemblies and products in the commercial and industrial sectors.
- Experience with products that use a thermal cycle or refrigeration system is a plus
- Proficiency in electrical utility interface and related design issues
- Experience with PLC programming and plant control
- Proficiency in understanding and working with schematics, detailed engineering drawings, and specifications.
- Excellent computer skills including use of Microsoft Office and database / data entry programs.
- Excellent computer skills including use of Microsoft Office and database programs
- Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing Practices, knowledge and experience preferred