CGI Group

CGI Group Employer Reviews

Very large firm, difficult to create visibility
Sr. Manager/Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee), New YorkJanuary 22, 2015
Working at a firm such as this, you are just a number. I am not use to that culture. Just an individual preference. Otherwise good employer.
worked in two different departments. mgmt was ok, for the most part
office help (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: nice workstations, in out of the cold...ha
Cons: tough life for contractors.
one department, the manager treated me nice. the next department, the supervisor was horrible--he's not there anymore though. the work was fast and furious (but so is everywhere else now)... one department paid me well, the second did not. being a contractor is tough...you have to work twice as hard as others to be recognized. I did get recognized and employed twice (into a 2nd department)...some of the people were very nice, and some not. typical workplace. benefits were poor. salary was average. about typical for a contractor's life...to be tough. I moved on and boy was the 2nd manager mad. should have been happy for me that I got a perm job., but that's life in the big city.
CGI Federal, Inc.
Senior Consultant and Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: healthy work-life balance and flexible schedules
Cons: no training or development. too many restructurings, constantly producing turnover within departments
This company encourages a 'find your own path' within the company, which opens the door for finding your personal fit within the company. If you are a motivated self starter, it is a good place to gain a lot of experience for a few years.

However, there is a dire lack of training and development, and management frequently fails to provide a defined career path with a clear vision for their members.
learn alot
Fixed Maintenance (Current Employee), Elko, NVJanuary 11, 2015
I learn alot working for them. The co-workers and managment are friendly and helpful.I dont have a problem with this company, its a good place to work. They work with you when you need anything.
Growing, solid company but too many legacy managers playing politics and little investment in employees
Senior Consultant/Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: growing company financially strong, interesting projects
Cons: lack of loyalty, diluting corporate culture, no training, hard to move and manage career
CGI is a growing company ambitious to take on the big boys in systems integration and has had an impressive run of growth in revenue and presence.

Work is often project based and may be intense but generally there is a decent work-life balance. When I joined there were a lot of veterans around but more recently there is a noticeable lack of loyalty to experienced employees and I have heard lots of management references to them as being expensive with layoffs occurring without favor to those of longstanding service. Lots of acquisitions and re-orgs have left the structure somewhat cumbersome and disorganized which can be frustrating and hard to learn for anyone joining. There are also lots of mid-level legacy directors playing politics. A very strong negative is the need to inform managers of any attempts to move internally - if you end up with the wrong manager you are stuck.

In the number of roles I have been I would observe that this is not at all a good company for someone starting their career. Training is basically non-existent and grudging. Needless to say there is lots of pressure to do compliance training on the other hand due to the need to vet employees constantly for contracts.

CGI is doing a lot of interesting work on the positive side and if you bring the right credentials you can be doing some stretch work, but in the changing culture here I think the stay would be relatively short to pick up some good experience or resume builders before moving on before they move you on....

I had good co-workers and support staff - the shame is I think the work satisfaction – more... trajectory is downward as the company grows by acquisition.

Finally, and unfortunately a negative point the HR organization is very weak in enforcement. There used to be a strong culture introduced by the french-canadian founder, Serge Godin. You constantly hear about "a great place to work" but from personal experience there is lip service paid to this as I experienced and witnessed serial interpersonal issues that were effectively ignored. As is often the case with a growth by acquisition strategy corporate culture dilutes over time. You still find pockets of the old mentality which was a good one.

Salaries are reasonable for the market. – less
Chocolate Factory
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Valencia CAJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: fast pas work flow
Cons: free chocolate
I had to ship big orders and receive the. Also creating chocolate .
Good starter company/lacks opportunity for career growth``
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: work from home occasionally, share purchase plan
Cons: no career advancement, low pay/low raises
Good starter company but if you are looking for career growth this is not the company for you. The raises are slim to none (3% annually at best). The management does offer any training what so ever but expects you to know everything even if they are unaware of it also. The company has been going thru a transitional period since the launch of the healthcare.gov. A lot of turnover. The good benefits include working remotely from home occasionally, share purchase plan. My advice if apply, work there for a short period of time and then more on to a better situation.
If you are an experienced professional - STAY AWAY!
Senior Consltant (Former Employee), Baltimore OfficeJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: stock purchase and work from home
Cons: low pay, terrible management, insurance, virtually no raises
Started out great on a very experienced and knowledgeable team of 10 to 12 depending on workload. Then a new business unit manager assigned. In 12 - 14 months only one original team member remained. Rest of team with combined 75+ years with company quit, with some just walking out door.

Manager eliminated all team's user contact and became only one attending user meetings. Manager started doing specs the way they understood things without collaborating with SMEs or developers.

One project I was told to make top priority, a couple of hours later told to stop work on project and late that same Friday afternoon I was told it was to be completed no matter what over the week end. Of course manager went home and enjoyed their weekend.

Depending on what time of day manager talked to a user that user's project became top priority. Very frustrating when you are juggling 4 - 6 projects at any one time with tight due dates.

You do not treat experienced professionals this way.

Raises are non-existent, 11/2 - 2 percent a year.

I would only work here if I had no experience and needed to build a resume.
Terrible place to work. Overworked no chance for advancement. Management is horrible, ethical viloations committed on a regular basis.
Passport Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 31, 2014
Pros: closed on holidays
Cons: unable to take breaks, healthcare, vacation time
Terrible place to work. Overworked with no chance to advance. Management never conducts proper training. No Human Resources on site or availability to call. Ethic violations committed on a regular basis. Unable to accrue vacation time. Segregation is displayed constantly between government employees and contractors.
Extremely fast-paced environment within a larger agency
Anti-Fraud Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 30, 2014
Pros: close to downtown, ongoing learning experience
Cons: lack of respect, benefits
There's something new to be learned everyday, whether its on a personal level or a professional level. This is a contract company for a larger agency, where the respect level is very low towards our end.
My job tasks are listed but things change daily and it never gets boring. The most enjoyable is being able to help determine a decision on such an important document.
No Leadership
Network Engineer I (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2014
Cons: lack of leadership from sr engineers, management. environment is terrible. constatnly over worked and burned out.
worked on Fotinet Firewalls, Cisco ASA, Juniper, F5. Adding and removing firewalls, configuring devices such as routers, switches, VPN tunnels.
A very fast pace and time sensitive day
Administrative Assistant/Consultant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 19, 2014
Pros: steady pace day and filled with accomplishments
My day start with me outlining my "to do" by perusing all of my scheduled meetings for the day. In addition, I ensure all of my time sensitive meeting minutes and documentations are current and in line with CGI's delivery standard. In addition, a daily meeting with the communication team to ensure all meetings, documentation and support from the team are complete. My manger does a regular inspection of each team member along with individually to ensure our work load is sufficient and that all of our assigned tasks are being handled in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of my job is feeling a true sense of support and delivering the best product to all parties.
Employees are easy to get along with and very helpful.
Field technician (Current Employee), Weslaco, TXDecember 17, 2014
Pros: being out on your.
Cons: the way they pay isnt as advertised and they expect you to just know everything right away.
I enjoy the job for the most part but when i interviewed for the job i was told i would get paid in 2 to 3 weeks and didn't end up getting my first pay check until almost 2 months later. They failed to mention training you dont get paid for and the 3 week period it takes to get paid doesnt start until you are on your own and its actually 4 weeks something else they failed to mention.
Productive work environment. Great for aquiring tools to further career.
System Administrator (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDDecember 17, 2014
Great work environment. Project managers are very easy to work with. Dedicated to maintaining a good relationship with employees.
Great Company, but management varies from BU to BU
Senior Consultant (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 9, 2014
I am fortunate to work with a tremendous group of health care professionals who are passionate about the work. While the management styles varies from department to department, there can be some disconnect in communications which can be challenging to navigate.
Enjoyable atmosphere
Supply Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYDecember 9, 2014
Pros: able to leave for lunch.
Cons: contract ended.
A typical day is routine, very unusual to have a change in regular tasks. Learned management skills, trained individuals and organization. Manager gave instruction every step of the way during my training. Coworkers were helpful and knowledgeable. Sometimes our vehicles would go down, making it very hard to complete our work. Most enjoyable part of the job was when our customer got there shipments on time.
Good place to work and flexible schedule
Passport Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
Our goal is to get the products to customers in a timely manner. I get along well with my coworkers. Hardest part of the job is to deal with a difficult customer. The thing I enjoy the most is providing the best customer service.
i cleaned 2 bankers
cleaner (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDDecember 7, 2014
Pros: had weekends off
Cons: management
I love the bankers and they were fun to chat with, I worked from 5:20pm-7.30pm. I will not being go back there. Unless management and a couple of my coworkers are gone.
Very flexible remote job with good benefits
Physical therapy auditor, Senior Consultant (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 5, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: unstable, poor training, disorganized
This job allowed me to work from home and perform my work. It was very flexible with my home life. I learned a lot at this job about editing and Medicare. The company was a little disorganized, training was poor, and it turned out to not be a stable job with government changes.
Abandon All Hope Ye Who Apply Here
Clerk (Former Employee), Portsmouth NHDecember 3, 2014
I responded to one of CGI Group's ads, and was pleasantly surprised by the prompt phone interview and was 'conditionally hired'. It was all downhill from there, as you had to jump through hoops and wasted hours to apply for the government job. After two months with no reply, I presumed that they had simply not picked me; but three months later, I was informed the truth was they had not gotten the government contract. Given the runaround and lack of a job, I would advise anyone not to waste your time with them unless you are desperate, or enjoy tediously filling out forms.

1 2 3 4 5

About CGI Group

About CGI Group CGI doesn't generate make-believe worlds, but rather real-life worldwide IT services. The company is the leading – Read more