CGI Group

CGI Group Employer Reviews

Good environment for working long hours
Consultant - Project Coordination (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 2, 2015
Long hours at a typical day of managing team with limited room for earning commensurate with hours worked. Not good for work and life balance.
Work Advancement
Technical Support Escalations Team (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2015
There is nothing but lateral movement in my project here. No pay increases for time well served. We can get a quarter raise a year if we pass all of the expectations that are set. It shows how expendable you are and makes you question your self worth and your life in general.
Great Place to Start A Career
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Chantilly, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: very flexible with schedules and benefits are amazing
Cons: hard to find new contracts to work when the old one ends.
Had a blast with great benefits and comfortable work culture/environment. Nothing bad to say about the company other than the pay is a little bit less than what most people are looking for in the Northern Virginia Area.

If I could, I would go back in a heartbeat. I was working a contract that ended, and CGI worked the best they could to get me onto another one. If l had found one, I would still be with the company to this day.
interesting company
Passport Processing Support Associate (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2015
To many logins. Not a good company if you want to move up to a management position. Very unorganized. Trying to get a hold of management is a pain.
Exciting place even among leadership
IT Service Transition Manager (Former Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Extremely fun place to work. CGI was a company that believed in keeping their employees trained on the latest best practices.
many opportunites
Consultant/Trainer/HQS Inspector (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 10, 2015
There are many opportunities at CGI and plenty of chances to learn new technical skills. However, they are not focused on work/home balance for their employees.
Better be prepared to work long, hard hours
Monitoring Consultant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free coffee, luncheons every once in a while, share purchase plan
Cons: long hours, expendable, no bonuses or overtime
Your an expendable member of the company whenever they start making changes up top. CGI is a very large global company and depending on where you are and what you will be doing for them; depends a lot on how expendable you really are.

Where I was at and assigned to work, you would be a part of a team that serves a specific purpose. ( Windows Admin, Linux Admin, DB Admin, Storage, etc. ) Most of the time you'll be tasked with specific clients in what CGI calls PODS. The majority of the days are spent taking care of issues that arise and or complaints or concerns from clients. Sometimes you may be assigned to a short temporary project to either integrate a new client and their needed servers, or maybe to just add/remove servers. While still working the normal daily assignments.

If your good at what you do, you will be assigned to many things; and if your not so good, they will push you to be better. They have decent benefits; and I recommend taking advantage of the Share Purchase Plan. It's member stock shares that they match 100% if you add 4-5% of your pay and It can be withdrawn at anytime. Unless your working from home, you will be at an office, in a cubicle. The company provides a Laptop and Cell Phone (iphone) for all members.
Stay Away
Passport Support Associate (Former Employee), Washington DCFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: they organized sumptuous parties and happy hour
No room for advancement, especially in passport services. I didn't learn anything. Routine work with no mental stimulation. Leadership is incompetent. Government workers are condescending to contractors. Their yearly raise is terrible....
I have learned new technologies
QA Analyst/Tester (Former Employee), Troy, ALJanuary 28, 2015
In my last project, the application was a web-based application developed in Java platform. As a QA Person, I wrote Test Plans from the requirement documents and Use Cases. I performed Smoke Testing, Functional Testing, Backend Testing, BlackBox Testing, Integration Testing, Regression Testing and UAT (User Acceptance Testing). I attended several walkthrough meetings for requirement reviews and provided feedback to the Business Analysts. Mostly, I was in the backend testing, which required writing SQL queries directly to the database.

Besides these, I wrote defects using quality center. Once the defects were fixed, retested them and if the passed, closed them. If the defects were not fixed, then reopened them.
Very large firm, difficult to create visibility
Sr. Manager/Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee), New YorkJanuary 22, 2015
Working at a firm such as this, you are just a number. I am not use to that culture. Just an individual preference. Otherwise good employer.
worked in two different departments. mgmt was ok, for the most part
office help (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: nice workstations, in out of the cold...ha
Cons: tough life for contractors.
one department, the manager treated me nice. the next department, the supervisor was horrible--he's not there anymore though. the work was fast and furious (but so is everywhere else now)... one department paid me well, the second did not. being a contractor is tough...you have to work twice as hard as others to be recognized. I did get recognized and employed twice (into a 2nd department)...some of the people were very nice, and some not. typical workplace. benefits were poor. salary was average. about typical for a contractor's life...to be tough. I moved on and boy was the 2nd manager mad. should have been happy for me that I got a perm job., but that's life in the big city.
CGI Federal, Inc.
Senior Consultant and Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: healthy work-life balance and flexible schedules
Cons: no training or development. too many restructurings, constantly producing turnover within departments
This company encourages a 'find your own path' within the company, which opens the door for finding your personal fit within the company. If you are a motivated self starter, it is a good place to gain a lot of experience for a few years.

However, there is a dire lack of training and development, and management frequently fails to provide a defined career path with a clear vision for their members.
learn alot
Fixed Maintenance (Current Employee), Elko, NVJanuary 11, 2015
I learn alot working for them. The co-workers and managment are friendly and helpful.I dont have a problem with this company, its a good place to work. They work with you when you need anything.
Growing, solid company but too many legacy managers playing politics and little investment in employees
Senior Consultant/Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: growing company financially strong, interesting projects
Cons: lack of loyalty, diluting corporate culture, no training, hard to move and manage career
CGI is a growing company ambitious to take on the big boys in systems integration and has had an impressive run of growth in revenue and presence.

Work is often project based and may be intense but generally there is a decent work-life balance. When I joined there were a lot of veterans around but more recently there is a noticeable lack of loyalty to experienced employees and I have heard lots of management references to them as being expensive with layoffs occurring without favor to those of longstanding service. Lots of acquisitions and re-orgs have left the structure somewhat cumbersome and disorganized which can be frustrating and hard to learn for anyone joining. There are also lots of mid-level legacy directors playing politics. A very strong negative is the need to inform managers of any attempts to move internally - if you end up with the wrong manager you are stuck.

In the number of roles I have been I would observe that this is not at all a good company for someone starting their career. Training is basically non-existent and grudging. Needless to say there is lots of pressure to do compliance training on the other hand due to the need to vet employees constantly for contracts.

CGI is doing a lot of interesting work on the positive side and if you bring the right credentials you can be doing some stretch work, but in the changing culture here I think the stay would be relatively short to pick up some good experience or resume builders before moving on before they move you on....

I had good co-workers and support staff - the shame is I think the work satisfaction – more... trajectory is downward as the company grows by acquisition.

Finally, and unfortunately a negative point the HR organization is very weak in enforcement. There used to be a strong culture introduced by the french-canadian founder, Serge Godin. You constantly hear about "a great place to work" but from personal experience there is lip service paid to this as I experienced and witnessed serial interpersonal issues that were effectively ignored. As is often the case with a growth by acquisition strategy corporate culture dilutes over time. You still find pockets of the old mentality which was a good one.

Salaries are reasonable for the market. – less
Chocolate Factory
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Valencia CAJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: fast pas work flow
Cons: free chocolate
I had to ship big orders and receive the. Also creating chocolate .
Good starter company/lacks opportunity for career growth``
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: work from home occasionally, share purchase plan
Cons: no career advancement, low pay/low raises
Good starter company but if you are looking for career growth this is not the company for you. The raises are slim to none (3% annually at best). The management does offer any training what so ever but expects you to know everything even if they are unaware of it also. The company has been going thru a transitional period since the launch of the healthcare.gov. A lot of turnover. The good benefits include working remotely from home occasionally, share purchase plan. My advice if apply, work there for a short period of time and then more on to a better situation.
If you are an experienced professional - STAY AWAY!
Senior Consltant (Former Employee), Baltimore OfficeJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: stock purchase and work from home
Cons: low pay, terrible management, insurance, virtually no raises
Started out great on a very experienced and knowledgeable team of 10 to 12 depending on workload. Then a new business unit manager assigned. In 12 - 14 months only one original team member remained. Rest of team with combined 75+ years with company quit, with some just walking out door.

Manager eliminated all team's user contact and became only one attending user meetings. Manager started doing specs the way they understood things without collaborating with SMEs or developers.

One project I was told to make top priority, a couple of hours later told to stop work on project and late that same Friday afternoon I was told it was to be completed no matter what over the week end. Of course manager went home and enjoyed their weekend.

Depending on what time of day manager talked to a user that user's project became top priority. Very frustrating when you are juggling 4 - 6 projects at any one time with tight due dates.

You do not treat experienced professionals this way.

Raises are non-existent, 11/2 - 2 percent a year.

I would only work here if I had no experience and needed to build a resume.
Terrible place to work. Overworked no chance for advancement. Management is horrible, ethical viloations committed on a regular basis.
Passport Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 31, 2014
Pros: closed on holidays
Cons: unable to take breaks, healthcare, vacation time
Terrible place to work. Overworked with no chance to advance. Management never conducts proper training. No Human Resources on site or availability to call. Ethic violations committed on a regular basis. Unable to accrue vacation time. Segregation is displayed constantly between government employees and contractors.
Extremely fast-paced environment within a larger agency
Anti-Fraud Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 30, 2014
Pros: close to downtown, ongoing learning experience
Cons: lack of respect, benefits
There's something new to be learned everyday, whether its on a personal level or a professional level. This is a contract company for a larger agency, where the respect level is very low towards our end.
My job tasks are listed but things change daily and it never gets boring. The most enjoyable is being able to help determine a decision on such an important document.
No Leadership
Network Engineer I (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2014
Cons: lack of leadership from sr engineers, management. environment is terrible. constatnly over worked and burned out.
worked on Fotinet Firewalls, Cisco ASA, Juniper, F5. Adding and removing firewalls, configuring devices such as routers, switches, VPN tunnels.

1 2 3 4 5

About CGI Group

About CGI Group CGI doesn't generate make-believe worlds, but rather real-life worldwide IT services. The company is the leading – Read more