CGI Group Employee Reviews

Nice place to work. High turnover rate due to nature of work.
Passport Processing Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
I enjoy working for CGI. The benefits package is good and they offer profit sharing as well as a 401k with a 5% matching employer contribution. There is a high turnover rate due to the nature of the work, in that it is very repetitive. There is opportunity for advancement. The reason I gave them only 2 stars for work/life balance is they do not have flexible scheduling, due to the terms of the government contract. However, this rule is applied inconsistently to different members which I found to be unfair. Although they give bonuses at Christmas, they do not give annual raises due to the contract currently being in a state of limbo.
Pros
the work is easy
Cons
no flex time available, policies not applied consistently to all members
Good Company to work for
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MADecember 6, 2016
I was employed by CGI for 25 years. It was a good company to work for with good benefits. The health insurance leaves a lot to be desired, however all the other benefits are good.

The department that I worked in was a diverse group of people doing various jobs, such as print operators, insert operators, clerks and warehouse workers.

One of the offerings is the employee Social Club where a member decides if they would like to participate. Participants have a deduction taken from their pay each pay date. The company matches the deduction which is twice what the member puts in. This money is used to run fun activities. Our department enjoyed several outings, apple picking for the families, seafood buffets and several other eating activities.
Pros
Stock Purchase Plan offered to members with match
Cons
They outsource departments
Big corporate body shop
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VANovember 22, 2016
CGI is one of those consulting companies that is more about sales than about quality. Be prepared to work with outdated technologies and projects that have no documentation or knowledge base, it's all about slapping code in and appearing to the customer you've done something. Management is clueless and inept. Once your project is cancelled CGI provides no way to find another project. Pay, and benefits, are some of the worst I've seen.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor pay and benefits. No career or skill advancement.
Inconsistent work, hours, and pay
Passport Support Associate I (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCSeptember 13, 2016
Training is FAST and incomplete. Some duties/tasks are practiced and performed same day within minutes of training. Others training is given weeks in advance of actually performing work. Every day begins with mass confusion. Managers run around not knowing where or how to begin the day or how many workers each needs in their area. Hours later still confused but much better. Workers are required to come prepared for reading managers minds and knowing where they are needed to work each day.
Pros
Benefits: though crummy, still we get benefits
Cons
Low pay under extremely large work loads and even more STRESS
Benefits and Compensation not up to Industry Standards
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 13, 2016
Day to day life at CGI is very similar to other government consulting firms. However, the compensation is in no way comparable to competitors such as Accenture or Deloitte.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Low wages, terrible benefits
Business thrust changing for Cleveland Healthcare unit
Post Payment Claim Auditor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 13, 2016
In general CGI is employee friendly. The benefits were good, especially the Share Purchase Plan, and the 401 K match. The healthcare benefits tanked with the start of Obama Care.
Very effective leadership
Logistics Systems Analyst / Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXNovember 18, 2016
Great guidance from the PM to execute program support. The Business Unit PM provided a greater sense of leadership which ultimately leads to your overall work experience.
Benefits
long hours and high stress
Senior Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 13, 2016
Regular business hours with the requirement to be available after hours. High stress job with great benefits and employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long work hours
horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALJuly 14, 2016
unless you are part of the management staffs inner circle you can't get promoted. there is no room for advancement for certain positions. long hours and constant hounding by supervisors. you are told no cell phones on the call center floor yet the supervisors are walking around with their phone out texting each other and their friends, non work related. if you are out sick and can't afford a doctor they will fire you even if they know that you are sick because you came in coughing and hacking. I do not recommend working there.
Productive workplace with a break room and free coffee
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day depends on the project you are working on. For the project I was working on, I had to perform regression testing. The management wasn't located in the office I was working in so we had weekly meetings to discuss items related to our project. My teammates on the project were very friendly. The hardest part of the job is performing regression testing in areas of an application you have little to no experience in. The most enjoyable part of my job was updating documentation to include the new enhancements added to an application.
Pros
flexible work schedule, stock benefits
Cons
healthcare benefits, work/life balance
Productive and the experience was good
Records Management Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
My time with the company was very informative and my colleagues were team oriented. The company as a whole is very outstanding with the exception of the job security.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
No Job Security
You can build a career here
Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2016
I have worked at CGI for over ten years, as have several of my colleagues. I don't know of many other consulting firms that foster a similar culture of people building long-term careers in the company.

I have had opportunities to work in multiple offices, to travel and to work locally based on the company's and my personal needs.

I have been put in roles of progressive growth throughout my career and believe the process of reward through compensation and advancement is fair. You have to prove you can operate in a role to receive this reward.

The primary reason I choose to continue to build my career at CGI is the incredibly smart and hard-working people I have the opportunity to work with every day.
Pros
People, Flexible hours when project schedules permit
Cons
Project deadlines necessitate long hours
Great environment to learn a lot. Poor work/life balance.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 12, 2016
I learned a great deal working at CGI Federal regarding IT and the nuances of government consulting in this industry. My co-workers and management were very helpful in mentoring me. However the project required being on-call on a 24/7 basis as opposed to standard working hours which provided the team with poor work/life balance.
Pros
Trusted with lots of responsibility and allowed to work somewhat autonomously
Cons
Poor Work/Life balance. 24/7 On- Call Support Required
Overall work and performance
Cyber Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 18, 2016
- Great company to work
- Opportunity to learn and grow
- Growth in career
- Good environment to work and management
- Work life balance and flexibility in schedule
Great company, great people, lousy pay
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2016
I absolutely love CGI. I would work here forever if I could. I love my job, the people I work with, and the flexibility I have. I work from home and can pretty much set my own hours- as long as everything that is needed of me is done within a reasonable amount of time. Taking time off is easy and encouraged.

When I first started work at CGI, the pay was lowest tier of what I expected leaving college. The benefits were amazing though and I was excited to have a job lined up before I even graduated. Gradually benefits have begun to dry up. We do have a good Stock program and retirement, but healthcare has gone down immensely- to where I feel I am paying everything out of pocket.

Also, while I get about $1000 dollar raise a year, since I started so low salary-wise, I make pitifully little for having over 6 years devoted to a company. I could easily be making double my current pay in another company. The company does little to offset these complaints, and people leave for better opportunities regularly. On the upside, it is a very steady job. I have never had fear of being laid off or fired, and have heard very few cases of it happening at my time here.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good work environment
Cons
Healthcare, Wages, No attempt at retention
Typical Desk Job
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 16, 2015
CGI Federal is a great place to work for a starting career. It is a typical desk job where you spend most of your time behind a computer with little interaction with others aside from those on your team. There are some great benefits such as working from home multiple days during the week and being very flexible with a home and work life balance. The managers are very helpful to help develop your skills. Most people there are either really young and this is their first job out of college, or they have been with the company for 20 years. There is not much in between that.
Pros
Work from home, flexible hours, work life balance
Cons
Not greatly compensated, raises are not significant.
Good for short term
Senior Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAJanuary 25, 2016
This job is good for short term but if your looking to move up or prove yourself then this is not the job for you. They are more interested in getting the fresh out of the college hires and saying how much things are growing.When in reality the only numbers show they are always hiring so many but that's because the seasoned employee was either getting laid off or finding work somewhere else.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No pay or advancement
Depends on your project
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked for CGI for 10 years and I have been on some great projects and some not so great ones. It really depends on the project you are on.

I do say that it is a big company and if you are on client site it feels like each project is a different company. Also, CGI isn't that competitive salary wise with other companies in the DC area which leads to a high turnover.

The profit sharing and the CGI stock options are very nice perks.
Great Company....however, Compensation/Benefits are the worse.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Great after-college company to work for; however, they do not provide the best Compensation/Benefits for their employees.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance; very flexible company
Cons
Healthcare do not cover much. Deductibles are ridiculously high.
Great people to work with
DRG Validation Auditor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 26, 2016
CGI has top notch management and the pay and benefit package was above industry standard. The work was challenging but doable. However, if the company needs to make changes to staffing, such as a company layoff, they don't hesitate, but they will provide severance pay, etc.
Pros
Good management team
Cons
No job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CGI Group. Our community is ready to answer.