CGI Group

CGI Group United States Employee Reviews

Excellent Co-workers
Applications Developer and Support (Former Employee), San Diego CAApril 12, 2015
Pros: Monthly Company status Meetings withLunch
Cons: Too many meetings/managers and status reporting
Arrive at Office, Review any new work (or help request) tickets and emails.
Follow-up on any unfinished tickets from the day before.
Team/manager "Paritus" Meetings for the various departments.
Occasional customer onsite meetings with the City downtown.
I had multiple managers and multiple Clients that they supported.
I found that there was often conflicting and confusing requirements.
Hardest part of the job was satisfying everyone in a timely fashion.
Required status reporting on multiple levels made it hard to be productive.
Great Company
Supervisor Juan Aquino (Former Employee), KuwaitApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great working Team
Cons: Short Contracts
CGI was a great Company to Work for. The Company has great benefits and retirement package. Just as any contract organization it's a hustle.
Great place to start your career
Business Consultant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 30, 2015
A great company to start an IT consulting/analyst career. A big company with a small company feel! I was able to learn about the various aspects of the SDLC through on the job learning and mentorship.
Terrible Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), VirginiaMarch 23, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: healthcare, working hours, salary increases
Terrible work/life balance. It is a Canadian company and you work with people all over the world and are expected to adjust your schedule to their schedules. Management has no idea how to communicate with employees within the individual BU's. Health benefits are the worst I have ever had. Cannot negotiate vacation time even if you have been in the work force for years. Inadequate training and on boarding...you learn it on your own time. It is hard to move within the company unless you are asked to leave a specific BU. Terrible pay increases and bonuses. The only good thing about this company is that you can work from home part time which helps a little with the work/life balance.
Helpful and fun Job
Wood Stain Demonstrator, (Former Employee), TexasMarch 22, 2015
Pros: good pay, pace, helpful co-workers, fun
Cons: slow paycheck, contract ended
A typical day at work involved me setting up a Varathane display table at Home Depot in the paint section and wood stain isle, where I could show customers how the product worked and the difference between Varathane and the lead brand. When someone would walk by I would approach them, ask how they were and ask to show them the demonstration and when I saw someone looking at wood stain I would ask if they needed help and they usually did. I would listen to long descriptions of what they were looking for and almost always matched their needs. I learned very quickly that it was okay to ask questions and accept help. Most importantly learned that you can learn from every encounter. When I wasn't able to meet a customers needs because I didn't know the answer o their question, I always took the chance to find out as soon as I could. Dave Mason is the one who employed me and who I called when I had a question about the product I couldn't find myself. He gave me and a few other employees about 2 hours of training and his number for any questions. He was helpful and positive when I called and I was encouraged to make friends with the Home Depot employees. When I went from store to store, I heard some bad things about others with my job from the Home Depot employees but I never saw anyone with the same job after my first day of training so there is no way for me to know how much is true or any reason for me to focus on it. Technically I had no co-workers from AMS, but I treated the Home Depot employees as co-workers and they did the same for me. We would often ask each other questions, borrow supplies from each other, and give each other work related advice when asked. The hardest part of the job was quickly setting up the table in the mornings because I am very cautious and speed is not my strong suit. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and home depot employees.
Not a good environment for professional growth
Sr. Proposal Manager (Current Employee), Fair Lakes, Fairfax, VAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Good Salary
Cons: If you're not a Director, you're treated like nothing
When working proposals, typical days can be 14 hours. In between proposals, members wait for assignments. Proposal team is given the responsibility of winning, but no authority to affect changes to increase that likelihood. There is little support from management.
Productive workplace
Technology Manager (Current Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Social interactions
Cons: No promotions
As a dedicated systems administrator, I provide production efficiency and system readiness for over 400 internal customers to achieve customer satisfaction on a daily basis.

My co-workers and managers make it a great environment to work. The hardest part of my job is making sure that every computer is running efficiently, but the most enjoyable part is working with the
customers who use the computers on a daily basis.
High Demand, Constantly Evolving Environment.
Backup Administrator (Current Employee), Tempe, AZMarch 16, 2015
CGI is a wonderful company and I'm proud to say I'm their employee. CGI has some of the best (direct) Management I've ever worked with!

It doesn't matter if you're working Projects or Steady State support, each day you're kept busy. There is always something to learn and something you can do to directly impact the Company.

Knowing Management always has your back and knowing the work you do makes a difference keeps me going every day.
A review of the production side of this business.
Sub-Contractor: Quality Control (Former Employee), Mansfield, MAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: A good entry level job for college students which can give them work experience to find better jobs down the road. A nice gig for retirees who need some extra cash. The job is very easy and and low stress. There were some nice, hard working employees I met there. I was treated with respect by my team leader and treated as if I was a permanent employee even though I wasn't one. For people who like doing little work, they will get 40 hours a week whether there is any work or not. Some people can really milk it there if they want to. If you have a college degree, perhaps you could move to other locations to work better positions.

Cons: The building I worked at isn't like most CGI buildings which have salaried employees/consultants in a IT environment. This was the production side of the business with hourly employees which consisted of printing, QCing documents, and inserting them into envelopes by hand or machines to mail to the clients. Wages are low and everyone has to temp there between one to two years before they can get hired on permanently to receive benefits. The company offers as little over-time as possible and often makes a big deal about it. Temps aren't allowed to work over-time because the temp agencies charge them too much money. Because it's production, work load is very inconsistent and more often than not, they had much more slower days than busier ones. Not having a consistent work load was very frustrating and mind numbingly boring. Aside from a few team lead positions, there's little chances for advancement in that building.

Advice to Managment: You've – more... got to find a way to have enough of a work load for everyone. Some people have a lot of work in their trained areas while others have almost nothing to do which makes the workload very unbalanced. Consider hiring employees permanently a little quicker to retain good employees. The economy is getting better and not many people will be willing to temp for 2 years with no benefits. I sure wasn't going to do that. Give your hourly workers more of a chance to work at other locations in more desirable positions. Value your talented workers more. – less
Fast paced, a great place to learn and grow
Aircraft Records Auditor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2015
Pros: excellent compensation and benefits
Cons: management employee working relation
Very busy place to work at.
A good place to learn and move on.
Management not very approachable.
Some coworker tension at times.
The hardest part of the job was working with management.
The most enjoyable part was benefits and compensation.
Truly unorganized place that is very cliquish
Sr. UX Designer (Former Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: Good standard benefits and pay
Cons: pure chaos and complaining about your managers does nothing
AWFUL management and organization. I was a UX designer that had to complain up the chain. Not only was nothing done but I was penalized for it. It was the worst experience of my career.
Great flexibility
Business Consultant/Quality Analyst (Current Employee), Lebanon, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: social club, work from home policy, unlimited sick time
Cons: raises rarely meet the cost of living increase
One of the few perks of working at CGI is the flexibility you get in where you work from. The work from home policy is great.

The health insurance lately has taken a nose dive.
Salary in certain offices isn't as competitive as it once was, and they don't intend on fixing it.
Great Company
CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 5, 2015
CGI is a great company to work,Lots of SME who can help guide through tasks and help navigate through troubled waters.The most enjoyable part of working with this company is the afforded flexibility and the ability to work from home
Good environment for working long hours
Consultant - Project Coordination (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 2, 2015
Long hours at a typical day of managing team with limited room for earning commensurate with hours worked. Not good for work and life balance.
Work Advancement
Technical Support Escalations Team (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2015
There is nothing but lateral movement in my project here. No pay increases for time well served. We can get a quarter raise a year if we pass all of the expectations that are set. It shows how expendable you are and makes you question your self worth and your life in general.
Great Place to Start A Career
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Chantilly, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: very flexible with schedules and benefits are amazing
Cons: hard to find new contracts to work when the old one ends.
Had a blast with great benefits and comfortable work culture/environment. Nothing bad to say about the company other than the pay is a little bit less than what most people are looking for in the Northern Virginia Area.

If I could, I would go back in a heartbeat. I was working a contract that ended, and CGI worked the best they could to get me onto another one. If l had found one, I would still be with the company to this day.
interesting company
Passport Processing Support Associate (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2015
To many logins. Not a good company if you want to move up to a management position. Very unorganized. Trying to get a hold of management is a pain.
Exciting place even among leadership
IT Service Transition Manager (Former Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Extremely fun place to work. CGI was a company that believed in keeping their employees trained on the latest best practices.
many opportunites
Consultant/Trainer/HQS Inspector (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 10, 2015
There are many opportunities at CGI and plenty of chances to learn new technical skills. However, they are not focused on work/home balance for their employees.
Better be prepared to work long, hard hours
Monitoring Consultant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free coffee, luncheons every once in a while, share purchase plan
Cons: long hours, expendable, no bonuses or overtime
Your an expendable member of the company whenever they start making changes up top. CGI is a very large global company and depending on where you are and what you will be doing for them; depends a lot on how expendable you really are.

Where I was at and assigned to work, you would be a part of a team that serves a specific purpose. ( Windows Admin, Linux Admin, DB Admin, Storage, etc. ) Most of the time you'll be tasked with specific clients in what CGI calls PODS. The majority of the days are spent taking care of issues that arise and or complaints or concerns from clients. Sometimes you may be assigned to a short temporary project to either integrate a new client and their needed servers, or maybe to just add/remove servers. While still working the normal daily assignments.

If your good at what you do, you will be assigned to many things; and if your not so good, they will push you to be better. They have decent benefits; and I recommend taking advantage of the Share Purchase Plan. It's member stock shares that they match 100% if you add 4-5% of your pay and It can be withdrawn at anytime. Unless your working from home, you will be at an office, in a cubicle. The company provides a Laptop and Cell Phone (iphone) for all members.

1 2 3 4 5

About CGI Group

About CGI Group CGI doesn't generate make-believe worlds, but rather real-life worldwide IT services. The company is the leading – Read more

CGI Group Salaries