CGI Group Employee Reviews in United States

You can build a career here
Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2016
I have worked at CGI for over ten years, as have several of my colleagues. I don't know of many other consulting firms that foster a similar culture of people building long-term careers in the company.

I have had opportunities to work in multiple offices, to travel and to work locally based on the company's and my personal needs.

I have been put in roles of progressive growth throughout my career and believe the process of reward through compensation and advancement is fair. You have to prove you can operate in a role to receive this reward.

The primary reason I choose to continue to build my career at CGI is the incredibly smart and hard-working people I have the opportunity to work with every day.
Pros
People, Flexible hours when project schedules permit
Cons
Project deadlines necessitate long hours
Productive workplace with a break room and free coffee
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day depends on the project you are working on. For the project I was working on, I had to perform regression testing. The management wasn't located in the office I was working in so we had weekly meetings to discuss items related to our project. My teammates on the project were very friendly. The hardest part of the job is performing regression testing in areas of an application you have little to no experience in. The most enjoyable part of my job was updating documentation to include the new enhancements added to an application.
Pros
flexible work schedule, stock benefits
Cons
healthcare benefits, work/life balance
Typical Desk Job
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 16, 2015
CGI Federal is a great place to work for a starting career. It is a typical desk job where you spend most of your time behind a computer with little interaction with others aside from those on your team. There are some great benefits such as working from home multiple days during the week and being very flexible with a home and work life balance. The managers are very helpful to help develop your skills. Most people there are either really young and this is their first job out of college, or they have been with the company for 20 years. There is not much in between that.
Pros
Work from home, flexible hours, work life balance
Cons
Not greatly compensated, raises are not significant.
Depends on your project
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked for CGI for 10 years and I have been on some great projects and some not so great ones. It really depends on the project you are on.

I do say that it is a big company and if you are on client site it feels like each project is a different company. Also, CGI isn't that competitive salary wise with other companies in the DC area which leads to a high turnover.

The profit sharing and the CGI stock options are very nice perks.
Great company, great people, lousy pay
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 22, 2016
I absolutely love CGI. I would work here forever if I could. I love my job, the people I work with, and the flexibility I have. I work from home and can pretty much set my own hours- as long as everything that is needed of me is done within a reasonable amount of time. Taking time off is easy and encouraged.

When I first started work at CGI, the pay was lowest tier of what I expected leaving college. The benefits were amazing though and I was excited to have a job lined up before I even graduated. Gradually benefits have begun to dry up. We do have a good Stock program and retirement, but healthcare has gone down immensely- to where I feel I am paying everything out of pocket.

Also, while I get about $1000 dollar raise a year, since I started so low salary-wise, I make pitifully little for having over 6 years devoted to a company. I could easily be making double my current pay in another company. The company does little to offset these complaints, and people leave for better opportunities regularly. On the upside, it is a very steady job. I have never had fear of being laid off or fired, and have heard very few cases of it happening at my time here.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good work environment
Cons
Healthcare, Wages, No attempt at retention
Good for short term
Senior Developer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAJanuary 25, 2016
This job is good for short term but if your looking to move up or prove yourself then this is not the job for you. They are more interested in getting the fresh out of the college hires and saying how much things are growing.When in reality the only numbers show they are always hiring so many but that's because the seasoned employee was either getting laid off or finding work somewhere else.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No pay or advancement
Great Company....however, Compensation/Benefits are the worse.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Great after-college company to work for; however, they do not provide the best Compensation/Benefits for their employees.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance; very flexible company
Cons
Healthcare do not cover much. Deductibles are ridiculously high.
Employees get squeezed between offshore and onshore profit model
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 13, 2015
Employees get squeezed between offshore and onshore profit model. Employees coming to US from India on long terms have to go through a grueling process and fight for their own salaries. Indian management officials assume that they pay employees salaries out of their own pockets. No standard rules and benchmark for salary figures. Random figures of salary.
Pros
Until one is in India, possible growth
Cons
Company where higher management is ruled by India and Indian politics.
Small group, non-interactive, parent company european/canadian
Central Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2016
Less than 20 in the office, do not interact w/each other, training is expedited and response to requests for a better understanding or assistance is most unfriendly and mildly hostile. Overall, not enough solidity for US offices from the parent Canadian/French headquarters. All interaction with CGIFederal and CGI is mostly handled thru web connections and it does not seem to be an open door policy. I prefer a team player attitude and a more personal atmosphere with varied optional means of communication.

The executive branch individuals are unreachable but publish much with use of email bulletins or 3-4 hour webinars. I have to rate an approval of the CEO based only on Yes or No but I honestly can't say I have ever met him.
Pros
I have great hours - Can work from 7am-3:30pm.
Cons
Great pay and annual bonuses were promised and not returned.
sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSNovember 5, 2015
No longer in business. Offered a great product that was easy to sell. The sales management problems were allowed to continue on until it went out of business. Poor management with inside favoritism. The monthly quotas were high in a field of first sale credit only. No credit for repeat business and the company did not respect their sales people nor treat them civilly. Hard to find management in the office. They spent way too much time at lunch and on the golf course.

Used their sales people and dumped them. Do not work here. Territories were limited and well worked over. No company advancement. Bad company to work for and when they went out of business, they left their customers high and dry with a 30 day notice of going out of business. Loyal customers left hanging.
Pros
Cons
treat customers and employees bad
Great opportunity for the start of your career
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Belton, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Working for CGI was a great experience. The colleagues are friendly, the stock benefits were great as well as the management. I worked as a network engineer for AT&T providiing Network Implementation services to new, remodeling and relocating GAP franchise stores.
Great money
Software Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXFebruary 25, 2016
It's been awhile, but I remember my client base and building relationships. After awhile, I was well liked and trusted. I could call up a client and a sale was made. The commission I made was very good, however, making the monthly goals was a challenge. So this made it very fulfilling when I did.

I worked several places with AMS. Couple of different offices and then for four years from my home office. I traveled to the Corp. offices at least once a quarter.

After a couple of years layoffs started to take place. I was laid off once, then rehired. I saw a lot of people leave. After ten years, I was laid off and never did return.
Pros
Set Client base and great customers
Cons
Too many CEO changes and layoffs
Decent place to work, if you plan on just getting by
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belton, TXMarch 14, 2016
Offers little opportunity to grow, instead of promoting within they hire from outside.
Management is extremely lacking.

Job security is one plus
Overall great company to work for
Network Engineer/Security Focal (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXFebruary 29, 2016
I love working for this company. The pay is pretty good and the co-workers are like family. There are plenty of employee appreciation programs like profit sharing and buying stocks in the company. The only downside to working for this company is that its contract work and sometimes the customer likes to end the contract prematurely due to saving money. The management is great here, supervisors are constantly trying their hardest to find us work if a contract ends. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being able to work with the people I do and sharing things we learn about the equipment we work on. With this job being my first real enterprise environment networking I learned just a ton over my three years here. I learned more complicated things about routers and switches and meraki wireless access points and later about how SDN networks work.
Pros
ability to work from home, stocks program, diversity in knowledge base among peers.
Cons
contracts ending prematurely.
CGI Federal
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 13, 2016
CGI Federal is Government Contractor. A typical day includes supporting my project to make it successful, managing my staff and subcontractors, and following internal Management Frameworks. The CGI Management is very engaged and interested to know how my project performance is going. My co-workers are dedicated and often work more than 5, 8 hour days. We are dedicated to the mission we support and give each other incredible technical and morale support.
Pros
Well documented processes, work from home opportunities
Great Work Environment
Information Technologies (IT) Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, ALMarch 30, 2016
At CGI Group we are encouraged to not only perform at work but also in after work activities, we have a company Softball team and we placed second overall for the season and then took the championship in the final league play.

It is a very positive work environment with an abundance of work resources to help us in both our work and personal lives.
Pros
Great People and Management
Cons
Non stop request by clients and management, often no lunch or breaks
Good place to start your career
Consultant; Software Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Troy, AlSeptember 14, 2015
This is a good place to start your career. You will learn a lot of essential skills that will allow you to grow. You are put onto a projects that they feel fits you best and allows your skills to grow with that project. A lot of the teams work a 24 hours schedule with India which allows for smooth hand offs of work and reduces down time.

The people I work with on a daily basis are great. They all have a great since of urgency and knowledge of the product that make it so things run smooth. They are very helpful in educating the newer people and answering any questions you might have. They also do not mind going out of their way to get you answers if they are not sure themselves.

The main problem is miscommunication from upper management. They will tell you one thing and then it will change a few months later. For example, after a year or working with your project you are allowed remote work. That was removed without anyone knowing even though many employees are planning on that.
Pros
Good Culture, Perform Community Service, Good Co-workers
Cons
Bad Heath Insurance Plan, Low Competative Pay
Nice place to work. High turnover rate due to nature of work.
Passport Processing Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
I enjoy working for CGI. The benefits package is good and they offer profit sharing as well as a 401k with a 5% matching employer contribution. There is a high turnover rate due to the nature of the work, in that it is very repetitive. There is opportunity for advancement. The reason I gave them only 2 stars for work/life balance is they do not have flexible scheduling, due to the terms of the government contract. However, this rule is applied inconsistently to different members which I found to be unfair. Although they give bonuses at Christmas, they do not give annual raises due to the contract currently being in a state of limbo.
Pros
the work is easy
Cons
no flex time available, policies not applied consistently to all members
Horrible health benefits but decent place to grow your skills
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 6, 2015
Fairly young support staff and long tenure with a broad group of individuals that have the salary to support the self funded health plan. Training is plenty and the commute depends on the position, location as they have opportunities across the DC Metro area.

During an interview, ask a lot of questions and then ask to speak to the manager's manager. Do not rely on having one or two levels of persons you speak to. The culture you will experience is really based upon the management you work under. In the Fairfax office, the diversity is about 85% white, 10% Indian/Arabic and 5% other.
Pros
It can be a steady job
Cons
Sometimes too big to pay attention to what is important, you.
Good Salary, benefits, and organizational structure
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 28, 2015
I worked for CGI for 3 and a half years before the company lost the rebid on the Fires contract. CGI was a great place to work. The salary and benefits were the best I have seen in the business. There were flexible schedules available and the company really seemed to care for its employees. The only negative that I can think of was the lack of opportunity for advancement. I would have liked to see a mentor program or career progression mapping to develop professionals in the field of contracting. Overall, I was very happy working for CGI and hope that they win the next contract bidding.
Pros
flexible schedules, good pay, great benefits, and caring management
Cons
very little room for advancement